Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Alan Smithee posted:

seriously though, I missed a Lapras because of that t-mobile meltdown the other night

:suicide:

I had a Dragonite in driving distance. I did luck out and catch a 2550 Wonderlax next to Bob Hope Airport because someone left their wifi open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

TVs Ian posted:

It's also basically a device to scare away Pokemon that's powered by Pokeballs.
You're not wrong, but those were Pokémon I wasn't gonna get anyway since I wasn't playing :shrug:

On the plus side the yellow light has helped me add three 'mons I had never caught before over the space of a week, and a few buff Eevees that finally got me a couple over 1000cp after I evolved em.

So it's decent for a filthy casual like me but garbage for the diehard who already has the best move sets and enemy matchups memorized and can hit an Excellent Curveball in their sleep

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

Ask me about delicious soy products.

CrashCat posted:

So it's decent for a filthy casual like me but garbage for the diehard who already has the best move sets and enemy matchups memorized and can hit an Excellent Curveball in their sleep

But I still want it for the egg tracking while the phone is off :(

It just won't connect to my phone. Grr

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

CrashCat posted:

You're not wrong, but those were Pokémon I wasn't gonna get anyway since I wasn't playing :shrug:

Yeah, but the commute to and from work will burn through 100+ Pokeballs for me. I'm probably going to stop using it for that, but it's nice to hatch and stock up on eggs.

If I could turn off the catching, and just leave on Pokestops and distance tracking, I would totally do that.

But I'm also planning on getting an Apple Watch in the near future, and it looks like that doesn't support catching, so maybe that would work better for me.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

Alan Smithee posted:

seriously though, I missed a Lapras because of that t-mobile meltdown the other night

:suicide:

I might have switched carriers less soon if Pogo didn't make it so clear how poo poo T mobile's service was.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

TVs Ian posted:

Yeah, but the commute to and from work will burn through 100+ Pokeballs for me. I'm probably going to stop using it for that, but it's nice to hatch and stock up on eggs.

If I could turn off the catching, and just leave on Pokestops and distance tracking, I would totally do that.
Eh, well I can't stand not hitting a light either but at this point I hardly feel guilty just faking GPS on the nearest Pokestop to stock up all day. But yeah, any more options with the device would be welcome, especially considering what it cost for a flashing button.

Frown Town
Sep 10, 2009

does not even lift
SWAG SWAG SWAG YOLO
I was feeling pretty ok about getting my Machomp pokedex registry today with a wild spawn that showed up near my work. I guess if I can only hatch eevees and onyxes out of my 10k and have no hopes for a Lapras or Dragonite anytime soon, that'll have to do. :smith:

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Dratini spawned at the wash nearby. Walked down there, put on a lure at the adjacent Pokestop, then caught the Dratini. Nothing but Krabby and Magikarp came out of the lure. Last catch was a Krabby.
Next time, I'm gonna try catching the Dratini, then putting on the lure.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Dr Tran posted:

Dratini spawned at the wash nearby. Walked down there, put on a lure at the adjacent Pokestop, then caught the Dratini. Nothing but Krabby and Magikarp came out of the lure. Last catch was a Krabby.
Next time, I'm gonna try catching the Dratini, then putting on the lure.

Better wear your lucky shirt too

I've had luck with a red shirt I got from a concert hth

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Afgad posted:

But I still want it for the egg tracking while the phone is off :(

It just won't connect to my phone. Grr

There's an app you can get that pretty much does exactly what you're looking for with hatching eggs without murdering your battery. Cost a dollar but drat if it doesn't do one hell of a job hatching those things.

Look up Battery GO on the Play store

jeef
Jun 1, 2004

Blackr is a free one for AMOLED screens

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
All 7 gyms around my campus are held by the same 4 yellow team users who all have multiple 1800<cp dragonites and snorlax. Guess I'm taking a break from gyms until a ban wave.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
One of the gyms I'm holding down is all Snorlax with the bottom at 1800

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS
3x Magmars
3x Scythers
3x Eevees
2x Jynx
2x Onyx
2x Hitmonlees
2x Snorlax
2x Dratinis
1x Hitmonchan
1x Aerodactyl
1x Kabuto
1x Pinser

Still waiting patiently on Lapras and even moreso on Porygon.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
Porygon comes out of 5k eggs.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Anyone else who lives in a village who has noticed that the location caught feature can be hilariously inaccurate? I caught a Raticate in the center of my village this morning and when I scrolled down it said it was caught in a village a 10 minute drive away. This seems to have happened to several of my Pokemon, I'm almost curious if it's based on cell tower location or something.

Edit: Caught two Pokemon close to each other, turned off the wi-fi and force closed the app in between. Both attributed to a village to the east, much smaller than my village. Weird, but it's not like it's an essential feature anyway.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Sep 24, 2016

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
drat, just had three 5k eggs pop right before I was gonna do a lucky egg.

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS

Hadaka Apron posted:

Porygon comes out of 5k eggs.

I know, but at the rate I'm going those two will be the last ones I get.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

All 7 gyms around my campus are held by the same 4 yellow team users who all have multiple 1800<cp dragonites and snorlax. Guess I'm taking a break from gyms until a ban wave.

By now it might be legit. I have 4 Dragonites of 2500+ cp without cheating (though Dratini are common in my area). And almost half of the gyms in my area are generally level 10 with only 2000+ cp Dragonite, Snorlax, Gyarados, Lapras and maybe Exeggcutor in there.

Mierenneuker posted:

Anyone else who lives in a village who has noticed that the location caught feature can be hilariously inaccurate? I caught a Raticate in the center of my village this morning and when I scrolled down it said it was caught in a village a 10 minute drive away. This seems to have happened to several of my Pokemon, I'm almost curious if it's based on cell tower location or something.

Edit: Caught two Pokemon close to each other, turned off the wi-fi and force closed the app in between. Both attributed to a village to the east, much smaller than my village. Weird, but it's not like it's an essential feature anyway.

Mine seem to be correct, even the ones caught in villages. The only thing is that it doesn't seem to add the province name most of the time, but sometimes it does.

Entropist fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Sep 24, 2016

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Parrotine posted:

There's an app you can get that pretty much does exactly what you're looking for with hatching eggs without murdering your battery. Cost a dollar but drat if it doesn't do one hell of a job hatching those things.

A good idea, though if your phone is an old piece of poo poo like mine, GO will still eat up all the battery drawing those graphics you aren't even looking at :(

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Entropist posted:

By now it might be legit. I have 4 Dragonites of 2500+ cp without cheating (though Dratini are common in my area). And almost half of the gyms in my area are generally level 10 with only 2000+ cp Dragonite, Snorlax, Gyarados, Lapras and maybe Exeggcutor in there.

Dratinis are extremely rare around here. At first I gave them the benefit of the doubt, but after seeing a gym I took flip back to one of them before I even left its range with no one else around I realized there's no way it's legit. (That gym is in a far off open area, unless the guy was hiding in the bushes I would've seen him).

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Is there a site that calculates how much dust and candy I need to max out a Pokemon?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Dr Tran posted:

Is there a site that calculates how much dust and candy I need to max out a Pokemon?

https://buimichael.github.io/pokemongo-Stardust-Calculator/

You'll need to use an IV calculator to determine the level of the Pokemon first.

If you have two Pokemon and you want to determine if you should invest in the one with the higher CPs or the one with the better IVs you can also use that site, simply enter the level of your high CP Pokemon instead of your trainer level. Sometimes better stats are just not worth all the candy and dust you need to get up to par.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Sep 24, 2016

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Fantastic! Looks like I'll need a few more Dratini to max out my Dragonite. Gathering the dust will probably be harder.
My bag space is good enough I can spend all my gym coins on incubators now.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Dratinis are extremely rare around here. At first I gave them the benefit of the doubt, but after seeing a gym I took flip back to one of them before I even left its range with no one else around I realized there's no way it's legit. (That gym is in a far off open area, unless the guy was hiding in the bushes I would've seen him).
drat. I report it when that happens, though I don't know if it helps.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

Parrotine posted:

Thanks for this.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Parrotine posted:

And while you're at it, you may also want to download this.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.livewallpaper.forPokemonGO&hl=en

Tar_Squid
Feb 13, 2012
Seems like the Meowth I just hatched is 93% perfect- 15/15/12 ! Too dern bad Persian is still garbage.

Upside is I almost have enough candies to evolve it now, for the Pokedex entry if nothing else. Also have enough to evolve Staryu into Starmie- worth it to pop a Lucky Egg before doing both, even if I'm just at level 18? Don't want to waste those Lucky Eggs.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Tar_Squid posted:

Seems like the Meowth I just hatched is 93% perfect- 15/15/12 ! Too dern bad Persian is still garbage.

Upside is I almost have enough candies to evolve it now, for the Pokedex entry if nothing else. Also have enough to evolve Staryu into Starmie- worth it to pop a Lucky Egg before doing both, even if I'm just at level 18? Don't want to waste those Lucky Eggs.

I've been using this calculator to figure out when to pop an egg. It doesn't factor in things being new to the Pokedex, but it lets me know when I have enough weedles and pidgeys and stuff saved up to make it worthwhile, and how many to transfer ahead of time to max out the number of evolutions. The Go Plus has been getting me a ton of extras, so I might as well make use of them.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
FYI, the update dropping today has a move-buffing function for gym battles. The first input you make after your Pokemon starts a move will cue up the action it takes immediately afterwards. Spam-tapping will gently caress up your dodging to high hell; on the other hand, there is absolutely no delay between attacks, not even to wait for the charge meter to fill. This is going to result in theoretical DPS calculations becoming far, far more practical.

Tar_Squid posted:

I don't understand, are you asking whether you should pop a lucky egg for just two evolutions?

No, dude. You should save up like a hundred loving guys before you use that poo poo.

Tar_Squid
Feb 13, 2012
Oh I have many Pidgey, Caterpie, and Weedle evolutions to do also. I was just not sure if it was worth it to burn a Lucky Egg on the two new evos plus the others I had banked up. But to be fair I'm running the game primarily on an iPhone 4s so it crashes constantly- and my Kindle requires me to be in Wifi range. But for evolutions I should be able to just run it on the Kindle. So its more a matter of 'how many evolutions can I fit inside the 30 minute window with the 'new pokedex entry' time registry.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Eikre posted:

FYI, the update dropping today has a move-buffing function for gym battles. The first input you make after your Pokemon starts a move will cue up the action it takes immediately afterwards. Spam-tapping will gently caress up your dodging to high hell; on the other hand, there is absolutely no delay between attacks, not even to wait for the charge meter to fill. This is going to result in theoretical DPS calculations becoming far, far more practical.

Does this mean you can start charging a strong move while still in the quick attack animation? Because it's really frustration sometimes when you see the charge meter go up, then nothing happens because your timing was off.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

If you prepare in advance (no transferring for candies during the lucky egg + naming the Pokemon you're evolving so you don't have to scroll through your bag) you should have no problem getting 65 evolutions in half an hour. Even if you get the "new Pokedex entry" thingy a couple of times.

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Does this mean you can start charging a strong move while still in the quick attack animation? Because it's really frustration sometimes when you see the charge meter go up, then nothing happens because your timing was off.

This happened all the time if you had a Pokemon with Confusion as it's quick attack.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Sep 24, 2016

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Tar_Squid posted:

Yeah it sucks when that happens. I got a 100% Goldeen yesterday but its CP was trash and I'm not spending dust to level up a loving Seaking.

jeef
Jun 1, 2004

i have a 0% oddish and i might evolve and level it up because it's my favorite :)

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Yes. It will make charge moves fire with no delay after the quick attack finishes. Two and three bar charge moves will be much better than before but holy hell does it gently caress with your dodging.

I wonder if my army of water pulse vaporeons will be more useful now. It seems my neighborhood is Eevee central and yet I can't get a low CP vaporeon with hydro pump. Water gun by itself is pretty useful again the 900-1000cp flareons which are often at the bottom of gyms but hydro pump would really cut my revive usage.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Eikre posted:

Ohh, so that's what was going on... I thought my phone was lagging.

It actually was lagging when opening/closing gyms though, that wasn't happening before this update...

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Used the Go+ on a looooong walk today and the thing must have a 50% escape rate. Granted without it I wouldn't have cracked a few eggs or been playing at all, but drat, it is a complete crapshoot keeping anything you "find".

4hourspdrvnmbnr
Sep 23, 2016
Is the GO+ worth it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

What, are you like landlocked or something and it's impossible to go visit <nearby major city> on the weekend or something? My town is mostly a random smattering of fire and ground types--always at least one a day, but never the same one--but when I visit the city, oh baby.

• Locked thread