Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Rad Valtar posted:

Any opinions about Lord of the Rings LCG? I heard that it's co-op and was wondering if it's good with 2 players. Also I own the first edition of A Game of Thrones LCG and was wondering if it's worth it to pickup the second edition?

The LoTR LCG rules are a bear to learn in the beginning, but once you get rolling, it's an awesome but difficult cooperative experience. This is especially true if both parties are into building decks, and often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Rad Valtar posted:

Any opinions about Lord of the Rings LCG? I heard that it's co-op and was wondering if it's good with 2 players. Also I own the first edition of A Game of Thrones LCG and was wondering if it's worth it to pickup the second edition?

I love LOTR LCG but I only have the core set, and I only take it when I travel for work. I have plans to pick up a few expansions when I beat the standard set.

It's a money sink if you need everything...

Chairman Pow!
Apr 23, 2010
LOTR LCG is fantastic! Its great solo, and even better when played with another person or two. Its a puzzle game in a way, one deck wont beat every quest. You often have to customize your decks for quests, so if you like the deck builidng side of things, its a home run. The themes and feel of the game are incredible, and quests are full of variety and cleverness.

If you like the first GoT, and have people to play with, the second release is also really good. It just started, so the card pool is comparatively small. That can be a pro or con depending on how much you played or owned of the other one.

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?
The nice thing about the LOTR LCG being co-op is that you don't have to feel any pressure to keep up with any sort of competitive metagame. You can just buy the packs at your leisure, play the adventures, and when you feel ready, buy another one. In that way I think it really benefits from the LCG model. It feels great to gradually reshape your decks and your strategies as you pick up new packs.

In fact I just played a game of LOTR LCG at work tonight when it got real slow! I did the first Dwarrowdelf adventure with my badass 3 sphere dwarf deck and, although I lost Balin, I managed to scrape together a win during like the 12th round. It was looking grim. Can't wait to play that one again.

Chairman Pow!
Apr 23, 2010
Exactly, you can go at whatever speed of collecting you want. Definitely proxy cards you dont have, and just enjoy playing without needing to be competitive. There is even an easy mode if you want to, the game is very flexible.

Great new players buying guide here https://talesfromthecards.wordpress.com/2013/09/13/new-player-buying-guide/

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

bean mug posted:

Really? I know Pandemic vanilla can have some difficulty with just 2 characters total, do you think it's easier in Pandemic Legacy? (If so, great news!)

Pandemic vanilla is easiest at just two characters though. You get so many cards!!

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Did I hear some mutterings about Androminion getting an update for Adventures and Empires? All I saw were superficial requests for them, so something seems off.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Did I hear some mutterings about Androminion getting an update for Adventures and Empires? All I saw were superficial requests for them, so something seems off.

I find it very unlikely that this would happen. I'm honestly surprised Androminion is still up at all.

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

Finally cracked out Tales of the Arabian Nights last night. Kinda disappointed in it to be honest. I guess I was expecting it to piece together some cohesive stories somehow, but it just felt like a bunch of random encounters slapping random status effects on you. Also the turn sequence is really complicated for something that basically boils down to rolling a 2,000-sided die.

That said my friends who play Talisman said they'd be happy to play this one again so... mission accomplished I guess? :shrug:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

thespaceinvader posted:

I find it very unlikely that this would happen. I'm honestly surprised Androminion is still up at all.

It isn't. It's updated off the Play Store and is "use at your own risk" - though I can confirm that it's safe as of the most recent update. Adventures is already in. I've heard that Empires is pending, and so far as I know it's less complex than Adventures so it shouldn't cause much trouble.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!

CaptainRightful posted:

I play a lot of solitaire board games. Are you interested in any particular genre?

My current favorites are the COIN series. Churchill is also different and interesting. These are multiplayer games with bot flowcharts you can substitute for human players.
Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear is a tactical wargame with a full card-driven solitaire system.
The Field Commander series are solitaire-only campaign wargames.

For Euros, both Scythe and Viticulture Essential Edition include complete solitaire systems.

Beyond that, any co-op game can be played solo. LOTR:LCG is great, but as you said, you might want to avoid that rabbit hole of expansions.

Thanks for the reply, this thread moves so fast.

I don't know about a genre as such I'm into, other than I'm warming into wargames, and I played my first COIN Falling Sky the other week, really liked it, playing it again this week.

I was drawn to Conflict of Heroes, especially as I have a friend and we both want to get into that kind of war game. But it seems quite expensive and I couldn't find a copy.

I really liked Scythe multiplayer games, so that's a thought. Viticulture doesn't grab me, which is a shame.

Yes, I may watch some run throughs to work out if LOTR LCG is the kinf of rabbit hole I want to go down...

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Tiny Epic Western was delivered today. My thoughts are the same as they were after the Watch it Played video; it's a fiddly mess. The setup page has 19 steps of text dump, it's a 20 page rule book full of icons, 4 phases with a lot of steps and exceptions, and other hard to follow info dump. I love the theme and idea of a poker-Euro mix, but this is a mess that I dread learning and dread teaching even more.

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

That's too bad. At least you have some cool bullet dice.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

How's fury of Dracula with 2 people?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

w00tmonger posted:

How's fury of Dracula with 2 people?

Pretty much like any other game that's intended to be many vs. one. By turning the many into a hive mind, the hunters get an edge compared to a full game where disagreements between the hunters is something that Dracula can sometimes exploit. It isn't game breaking or anything, and the game's still fun, but just be aware that it'll be a bit easier for the hunters.

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

While waiting for Masmorra: Dungeons of Arcadia to come out, I've been eyeing Arcadia Quest since it's not yet in my library. It's 40% off MSRP on Amazon right now, and I'm hovering over the buy button.

Would it be worth grabbing, if only to get a few games in before Masmorra comes out and I can use all of the heroes from it? Is it a well designed game on its own? And most of all, does it play well with 2?

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I don't know about Androminion, but there was one for Dominion.NET. The Dominion.NET update also made the AIs better, although they often crash and burn when there's a event available. In my experience, the AIs only use Wedding well.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The AI was really good for a bit, but then they updated again and it got super stupid about events.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Question about Small World:

I decided to start watching Wil Wheaton's TableTop series (disclaimer: Yes, I understand that sometimes they get rules wrong and don't always play games perfectly) and really liked the look of Small World. The only digital version I can find (on Steam) is "Small World 2", but the pictures look just like the version Wil and co. were playing. Did Days of Wonder just name the digital version "2" for some reason? Or is it actually a separate game? And if it is just a digital version of Small World, is the digital version good/worth buying?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

jivjov posted:

I decided to start watching Wil Wheaton's TableTop series (disclaimer: Yes, I understand that sometimes they get rules wrong and don't always play games perfectly) and really liked the look of Small World. The only digital version I can find (on Steam) is "Small World 2", but the pictures look just like the version Wil and co. were playing. Did Days of Wonder just name the digital version "2" for some reason? Or is it actually a separate game? And if it is just a digital version of Small World, is the digital version good/worth buying?

No, its Small World.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
On a completely different note:

Rules for Dominion 2nd Edition and Intrigue 2nd edition are up on the RGG website!

http://riograndegames.com/Game/1312-Dominion-2nd-edition
&
http://riograndegames.com/Game/1311-Dominion-Intrigue-2nd-edition

EDIT: Not sure how I feel about the new Basic cards. Its the same New artwork from the Base Cards 'expansion', but with big Coin/VP symbols added on.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Sep 24, 2016

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Very late to card storage chat but I've never used ziplocks for cards. Seems like they'd all end up in a big heap in the bag and be annoying to take out. I've been using Hugo's amazing tape for years and it works wonders.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

jivjov posted:

:

Rules for Dominion 2nd Edition and Intrigue 2nd edition are up

Wow, the new cards in the basic Dominion are brilliant. E.g. Bandit (attack): gain a gold, all other players reveal the top 2 cards from their deck and trash a treasier that's not a copper. Cost: 5!

Love this: (is it new?)

quote:

Errata:
This game is perfect

Edit: Chapel is still 2

The Supreme Court fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Sep 25, 2016

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Clanpot Shake posted:

Very late to card storage chat but I've never used ziplocks for cards. Seems like they'd all end up in a big heap in the bag and be annoying to take out. I've been using Hugo's amazing tape for years and it works wonders.

Not if you use bags that are narrower than the length of the cards so they can't rotate.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
New cards in Dominion: Artisan, Bandit, Harbinger, Merchant, Poacher, Sentry, Vassal

Removed cards from Dominion: Adventurer, Chancellor, Feast, Spy, Thief, Woodcutter

New cards in Intrigue: Courtier, Diplomat, Lurker, Mill, Patrol, Replace, Secret Passage

Removed cards from Intrigue: Coppersmith, Great Hall, Saboteur, Scout, Secret Chamber, Tribute

The Supreme Court posted:

Other than some wording changes (most just for clarity, and a couple of "You May"s added to cards that didn't have them) I don't think any existing cards changed

jivjov fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Sep 25, 2016

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

jivjov posted:

It's '2' because it's the second version of the app, IIRC they added some features and some of the expansion races into it.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Finally, Woodcutter got it's nerf

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

jivjov posted:

New cards in Dominion: Artisan, Bandit, Harbinger, Merchant, Poacher, Sentry, Vassal

Removed cards from Dominion: Adventurer, Chancellor, Feast, Spy, Thief, Woodcutter

New cards in Intrigue: Courtier, Diplomat, Lurker, Mill, Patrol, Replace, Secret Passage

Removed cards from Intrigue: Coppersmith, Great Hall, Saboteur, Scout, Secret Chamber, Tribute

Other than some wording changes (most just for clarity, and a couple of "You May"s added to cards that didn't have them) I don't think any existing cards changed

Huh, I actually like a lot of the cuts: adventurer (really useful in certain situations), and feast (good with critical five drops, or with on-trash), great hall (good because of its dual-typing, also a decent way to pad out your score without clogging too much), tribute (swingy and random, but fun, and also very entertaining for paying attention to your opponent's deck composition). Everything else I'm not sad to see go.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm mostly sad to see Coppersmith go. I thought that was a really fun card.

That said, Donald X's official ruling on "Should we keep playing with old cards" was:

Donald X. on BoardGameGeek forum posted:

I recommend that you stop using the replaced cards, except that one that you can't believe I took out; I'd keep playing with that one.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Why the gently caress would they cut Tribute? I loved that card.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Some Numbers posted:

Why the gently caress would they cut Tribute? I loved that card.

Donald X. posted:

I'd keep playing with that one.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
That doesn't answer my question!

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
A lot of the cuts are actually replaced by straight upgrades. For example, Great Hall is replaced by Mill: +1 Action, +1 Card. You may Discard 2 cards for +2 gold. / 1 VP.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Impermanent posted:

A lot of the cuts are actually replaced by straight upgrades. For example, Great Hall is replaced by Mill: +1 Action, +1 Card. You may Discard 2 cards for +2 gold. / 1 VP.

You may Discard 2 cards for +2 gold.
That's an awesome card.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Some Numbers posted:

That doesn't answer my question!

I asked over on BGG and Donald said that the Secret History of 2nd Edition article that he'll write up soonish (he said it would not go up until the sets hit retail) will include commentary on the cut cards. So you'll get an answer in a couple weeks!

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

The Supreme Court posted:

DXV has said multiple times: Chapel has to be 2, because it's so strong.

For this example, let's imagine Chapel as-is doesn't exist. Let's pretend we instead have a card called Chaplain: 3 cost action, trash up to four cards from hand. Alice and Bob are playing on a board with Chaplain. Alice opens with three or four copper in hand. She buys Chaplain. On her next turn (with 4 or 3 gold), she buys a Silver.

Bob opens a hand either two or five copper, and will draw the other amount on his next turn. He cannot buy both Chaplain and Silver in his first two turns.

On turns 3 and 4, Alice is likely to both trash some of her Estates and Coppers with Chaplain, AND buy a critical 5-cost card with Silver and three coppers. (We can assume one exists. Most of the deck linchpin cards in Dominion cost 5.)

On 3 and 4, unless Bob is very lucky, he can only perform one of these two critical operations. (Probably the Chaplain trashing, if he's smart.) This puts him one full "shuffle" behind Alice in building his econ/engine/combo. Alice is heavily favored to win, all because of a lucky pair of opening hands. This is bullshit.

Because Chapel costs 2, every player has a chance to open Chapel/X. Chapel/X privileges 5/2 over 4/3 on certain boards (like on a Chapel/Mountebank board), but not as bad as Chaplain/X privileges 4/3 over 5/2 on most boards.

(Granted, there's another solution, which is to mirror both player's opening hands. Which is what a lot of Dominion tournaments do. But still.)

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Sep 25, 2016

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
Mansions of Madness 2E trip report!

I've managed to play this a total of 3 times this weekend - the first scenario twice, and the second scenario once. General impressions are that it's a lot of fun! Even though there are only four scenarios, each is a pretty massive undertaking, with the last one expected to take around 6 hours to complete. Scenarios are fairly re-playable, and seem designed to be so. I don't see how anyone, barring massive luck, could pass the second scenario without playing it at least once to know what to expect. But I think that might be by design? It would probably be anticlimactic if you could breeze through everything first try.

The game is exciting and adventurous and generally feels a lot like you're playing a board game version of a CRPG, in a good way. By putting all the behind-the-scenes decisions in the hands of the app, you prevent the 'us vs them' feeling that occurs in similar games like Descent and Imperial Assault, and the game doesn't need to pull its punches or try to work out on the fly what it's supposed to tell you and what it's supposed to hide, like I find myself doing whenever I play the bad guy in Descent or ImpAss.

We were occasionally frustrated by randomness - in two of the games, one character seemed to be getting picked on by the game and just taking enormous damage/horror with no way for us to mitigate that with any of the items we'd picked up. The game only needs one person to die for the entire mission to be a failure, and in a four or five player game, one character might get singled out on the other side of the board by an enemy that needs the full team to take down, or random chance in the Mythos events could mean that the same character keeps taking powerful hits that were probably supposed to be distributed among the entire team. I'd love to be able to peek under the hood of the app and see how it determines these things, and FFG can always tweak how the game makes these decisions in future updates if they want.

The app is cool and good, but desperately needs an 'undo' button. It's easy for an accidental tap to clear a screen without any way to go back - you can check the log, but sometimes you click the wrong button entirely and then the thing you were interacting with disappears. I also think the app could use some iconography and layout to make events easier to read - by the third time playing, we were just scanning through the text to find out what kind of check we needed to do and what the consequences for success/failure were. Just a simple "check: do this - success: do this - failure: do this" separated into paragraphs would be good, instead of a block of text every time. Minor spelling and grammatical errors in the text also annoyed the pickier spellers among us, but that's to be expected in a game chock full of text - Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective had a ton of these and it still managed to be a really good game.

In general, I look forward to playing this game a ton over the coming months/years, including the inevitable expansions. If you own the first edition stuff, there are already two extra missions you can play on the app (bringing the total to 6), and I expect them to put out LCG-like packs that give players a bunch of new objects and a new mission or something every 6 months or so. I really look forward to seeing what they do with this game as it has a ton of potential.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

That was a joke post.

sector_corrector posted:

Huh, I actually like a lot of the cuts: adventurer (really useful in certain situations), and feast (good with critical five drops, or with on-trash), great hall (good because of its dual-typing, also a decent way to pad out your score without clogging too much), tribute (swingy and random, but fun, and also very entertaining for paying attention to your opponent's deck composition). Everything else I'm not sad to see go.

The main thing seems to be that the cut cards were too situational (Coppersmith, Adventurer), or didn't add enough to the game (Feast, Great Hall, Spy, Thief, Scout, Secret Chamber, Woodcutter). Tribute probably got it for being too swingy. I like some of them too. The new cards are interesting but don't really seem to be very obvious and simple for new players. Lurker is really cool-looking and has trash from the supply (an Empires ability) and gain from trash (Dark Ages)...

On a different Dominion note: why isn't Possession an attack? My best answer is that it's so expensive already that it's not good to discourage people from buying it by making it trigger reactions.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Gutter Owl posted:

(Granted, there's another solution, which is to mirror both player's opening hands. Which is what a lot of Dominion tournaments do. But still.)

I'm honestly surprised that matched opening hands isn't an official rule of the game. Has DXV ever commented on the notion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

jivjov posted:

I'm honestly surprised that matched opening hands isn't an official rule of the game. Has DXV ever commented on the notion?

He generally tends to say something to the effect of "Play the game whichever way makes you happy"