Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Skizzzer posted:

Sorry, but this is your opinion. You (and others in this thread) haven't established in any convincing way how season 2 was not "translated" perfectly. I struggle to see how you make such an assertion without even knowing Esmail's end game.
This is not a part of my post where I am stating things as fact. The only "factual" things I talk about are actual corrections to people's suggestions (ala time frames and quotes) and how the framing (a cinematography studies thing) works. Of course it's my opinion that Season 2 isn't translated as well as Season 1 and I am just stating that opinion and my reasons for it in this thread. I don't see anything wrong with that but I'm also not exactly alone in these thoughts. I've heard much worse than what I'm telling you.

Skizzzer posted:

No, it's not. If you are asserting that your analysis of the framing and cinematography pales from season 2 to 1, please demonstrate how. It's not enough to simple say that it's bad, and then to follow up with saying that your bad opinion is objective.

Thank you for the recommendation. It is one of my favourite youtube series. You watching it too doesn't substantiate anything you're saying. If you want to say you're disappointed with the cinematography in season 2, and you want others to agree with you, you need to show how and why it fails, like Tony Zhou does.
Because I've already shown it earlier in the thread? There are too many scenes early on in this season where the conveyed meaning behind having people in the corner of the frame is completely lost because it literally has zero meaning. This is in comparison to Season 1 where almost every shot was done with a purpose and nothing was overused. I'm repeating myself here but I am not saying that all of the framing of this season is bad or undefined. I am stating that I could go anywhere between episodes 2 and 7 (and probably outside that range) and very easily find framing that was the third or fourth time that unique (and not-often used because it's supposed to convey an important message) framing technique was used in the same episode. The point is that episodes become over-saturated with it to the point where it loses importance and meaning because it's no longer unique. This isn't the old Batman show where "if the camera is tilted, you know we're in the bad guy's lair!"

Sorry, I'm not going to go download all of the first half of this season just to make this point, I am not Tony Zhou.

Skizzzer posted:

Can we stop talking about anime? Was season 2 of the Wire filler?

Season 1 was about Elliot. Season 2 is about Elliot. None of it was filler.
Well if you just want to grossly simplify the plot of this show, I'd love to get your thoughts on Game of Thrones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Skizzzer posted:

Season 1 was about Elliot. Season 2 is about Elliot. None of it was filler.

Fine, if you don't want me to call it filler, then I'll call it "extremely poorly paced character development stretched out over an unnecessarily large number of episodes that by and large doesn't seem to have changed anything very much." You can hold this show up as an example of television perfection all you want, but there's a reason it's lost like half its audience since season 2 started.

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

A good pun is like a good steak: A rare medium well done
Here's something the internet noticed. No one knows what to make of it.

Are the same as this

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I don't understand the term "Filler". Is it "Anything which doesn't directly pertain to what I have determined is the primary plot of the show"?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

AwkwardKnob posted:

Are the same as this

I think this is just one of those easter eggs that mean nothing. Very neat though.

Snak posted:

I don't understand the term "Filler". Is it "Anything which doesn't directly pertain to what I have determined is the primary plot of the show"?
Yeah pretty much. I know you're emphasizing the "I" there but since this show doesn't let us know what is and isn't important, it's right. When I talk about it, I'm assuming that Phase 2 and the work needed to complete it are the main plot. Just because Elliot is in jail when he programs the fem2cell does not mean the jail itself is important, especially when he just gets a new computer once he's out of jail anyway.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Sep 24, 2016

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
The prision is important because there is where he tries new ways of dealing with Mr Robot: first he tries to suppress him completely through routine, then tries to trust to him and make peace. And Elliot mind issues are the main plot just as much as hacking stuff

Both methods fails and he goes back to where he started, but it was an important development for him to try those, and find that none of it works. Besides, it was very fun to watch and there he meets Leo, who seems like is still going to play a big part on the story

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

DaveKap posted:

I think this is just one of those easter eggs that mean nothing. Very neat though.

Yeah pretty much. I know you're emphasizing the "I" there but since this show doesn't let us know what is and isn't important, it's right. When I talk about it, I'm assuming that Phase 2 and the work needed to complete it are the main plot. Just because Elliot is in jail when he programs the fem2cell does not mean the jail itself is important, especially when he just gets a new computer once he's out of jail anyway.

I would argue that the main story is Elliot and Angela finding their places in the world. Elliot struggles to understand this wall he's put up in his mind, and Angela struggles to understand why she can't do fulfilling work as an attractive, intelligent woman. Tyrell and Joanna struggle to make things fit into their manipulative and forceful approach to success. All of the plots are in service of this. Shayla, Ray, Elliot's Dad, Allsafe, Ollie, Angela's mom, all of these plots are in service of that story.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

GutBomb posted:

I keep seeing people mentioning that the Ray plot was filler and didn't have anything to do with the main plot but it was the way to get Elliot on a computer and able to coordinate the hack on the FBI from prison. He fixed (and then exposed) Ray's site, but he also coordinated the FBI hack. This directly resulted in the Dark Army getting him released.
Also the abuse he faced in prison put him in a position where he had to let Mr. Robot take over again. His carefully constructed fantasy world and meticulous daily schedule weren't enough, and that's where you get episodes like the chess game. The first few episodes make you think Elliot's won, when it was always a stalemate.

Snak posted:

It's the wrong word to use. Filler is when they run out of time and pad things out with unnecessary material, or get a certain amount of episodes in the production budget and have to fill time (Fringe's lost episode "Unearthed" is a good example). Writing a B-plot isn't the same thing, it's just additional character development or catalyst events that shape the plot and cause certain actions to happen later.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
The problem I have with complaining about focusing on Elliot's time in jail so much is that if the show focused on things happening elsewhere we'd all be complaining about how we weren't seeing enough of Elliot. Him going to jail is part of the plot, even if it doesn't directly contribute to completing Phase Two. Him dealing with Mr. Robot is important to the plot because Elliot is the main character and his brain problems are therefore relevant. He was in prison for as long as he needed to be, especially considering that he was released shortly after Ray was arrested. I don't think that's a coincidence. And especially considering how Sam Esmail took over pretty much all creative control of Season 2 I think that everything we were shown was presented for a reason. I liked the "filler" and even though Season 2 was different to Season 1, I don't think it was inferior.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Snak posted:

I would argue that the main story is Elliot and Angela finding their places in the world. Elliot struggles to understand this wall he's put up in his mind, and Angela struggles to understand why she can't do fulfilling work as an attractive, intelligent woman. Tyrell and Joanna struggle to make things fit into their manipulative and forceful approach to success. All of the plots are in service of this. Shayla, Ray, Elliot's Dad, Allsafe, Ollie, Angela's mom, all of these plots are in service of that story.
This is a perfectly acceptable perspective and I can appreciate that.

Shoren posted:

The problem I have with complaining about focusing on Elliot's time in jail so much is that if the show focused on things happening elsewhere we'd all be complaining about how we weren't seeing enough of Elliot.
Not true! The episode where Elliot wasn't featured at all was actually pretty drat good! But I really like Mobley and Trenton so that's just me. ;)

Apparently the rest of this post VVV was a post I had written but didn't post so... I'll just post it. Don't stop posting. Never stop posting.

Spergatory posted:

Spending eight episodes of a twelve episode season on a filler plot is not a very good balance.
Which I wrote about at length.

GutBomb posted:

I keep seeing people mentioning that the Ray plot was filler and didn't have anything to do with the main plot but it was the way to get Elliot on a computer and able to coordinate the hack on the FBI from prison.
And then later buys a bunch of new equipment and hacks directly from his house. He didn't need to be in jail to do this, that's why it's unimportant.

Snak posted:

Ray's plot also eased us in to the idea that bitcoin is important in the new economy.

Ray is also thematically super relevant. The idea that Ray is criminal mastermind, who "doesn't look" at a bunch of the bad stuff he's responsible for in order to feel like a good person? Sound familiar?

If we consider that Mr. Robot is working with the Dark Army, Elliot is probably even worse than Ray.
I like this. This is actually a really good point. It's not a good enough point to require a majority of the season in jail but it's nevertheless a very good point.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Sep 24, 2016

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

AwkwardKnob posted:

Are the same as this

Might just be prop reuse?

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

DaveKap posted:

Not true! The episode where Elliot wasn't featured at all was actually pretty drat good! But I really like Mobley and Trenton so that's just me. ;)

That's a single episode and I also agree that it was good despite not having Elliot present at all. I'm talking more that if Elliot only had 5-10% screentime for half a season then there'd be a greater backlash.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Skizzzer posted:

I wonder if any one else has noticed the similarities between Elliot and Whiterose? Consider:

Both have 2 personalities.
Both are obsessed with time. Rose keeps track of it; Elliot keeps losing track of it.
Both are leaders of hacker groups.
Both think Angela is important.
Both want Ecorp to fail.

Yet we haven't seen them interact in a significant way.

Both work in security.

Rose recalls a sister that doesn't exist, Elliot does not recall a sister that does exist.

Both put the life of their pet fish in Angela's hand!

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
Elliot: People think their worship is some key to happiness. That’s just how he owns you.
(S02E03)

Gods

Jesus?

Or the Devil?

Price: Perhaps you find it as fascinating as I do. How a man can change the whole world with a bullet in the right place.
(S02E03)

Darlene: Dude, you’re freaking me out. I mean, don’t get me wrong, taking them down would -

Elliot: - change the world.
(S02E04)

Believers

Whiterose: I don’t want your proof. I want your belief.

Angela: Belief in what?

Whiterose: Do you ever think, that if you imagined or believed in something that it would come true? Simply by will?

Angela: Yes. Actually, I did believe that. But I’m slowly having to admit that’s just not the real world. Even if I want it to be.

Whiterose: I guess it all depends on what your definition of real is.

Elliot: Mind awake. Body asleep.
(S02E11)

Believer:

Believer:

Believer:

Believer:

Judah:

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Skizzzer posted:

Price: Perhaps you find it as fascinating as I do. How a man can change the whole world with a bullet in the right place.
(S02E03)

Darlene: Dude, you’re freaking me out. I mean, don’t get me wrong, taking them down would -

Elliot: - change the world.
(S02E04)
Your post is weird but this particular connection is a very good one. That bullet casing in FunSociety has got to be more important than it seems.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011

DaveKap posted:

Well if you just want to grossly simplify the plot of this show, I'd love to get your thoughts on Game of Thrones.

It is okay, I liked the last season.

Spergatory posted:

Fine, if you don't want me to call it filler, then I'll call it "extremely poorly paced character development stretched out over an unnecessarily large number of episodes that by and large doesn't seem to have changed anything very much." You can hold this show up as an example of television perfection all you want, but there's a reason it's lost like half its audience since season 2 started.

I would argue that it has a lot of relevance to the show's themes and plot. I am not holding this season of Mr. Robot up as an example of television perfection. The reason I brought up season 2 of the Wire is because S02 of the Wire was also different from it's previous season. Most people - including myself - didn't enjoy season 2 on the first run because we were expecting a continuation of season 1. However, when viewed in the context of the complete series, I think a lot of people view season 2 more favourably, for many different reasons (there's a whole thread on the Wire so I won't get into it, and I doubt I could illustrate adequately anyway). I think the two respective seasons are similar because both show creators already know how each season will go and how they fit in together. Do I think Esmail held back a little more than he needed to? Sure, yup I do. But I'm happy to wait and see what he does. I'm not as concerned about plot as it seems some people here are. And that's fine if you do.

If we end up plot-wise not much farther forward than where we are now by the end of season 3, you might hear me complaining too. Not yet, though. I really did find this season incredibly interesting.

crowoutofcontext posted:

Both work in security.

Rose recalls a sister that doesn't exist, Elliot does not recall a sister that does exist.

Both put the life of their pet fish in Angela's hand!

I did find this conversation interesting (noticed this when I was grabbing screenshots):

quote:

Whiterose: I fail to see the logic. Why put all your faith in her when we have other options?

Price: Yes, yes, we could blow up the whole Western hemisphere, but… you know me, I’m old-fashioned. I always opt for the simpler play. Occam’s razor and all that.

Whiterose: Be that as it may. It is a slower path and time is of the essence for them. I want to remind you that closing the plant is not an option.

Price: And how many minutes have you allotted for this phone call?

[…]

Whiterose: Have you spoken to the administration?

Price: Mm. We’re not there yet. President isn’t desperate enough. We need the pressure to cook a little more.

[…]

You’re the time master. You should know that while Rome may have burned in a day, it wasn’t built in one. This will take time.

[…]

Whiterose: Looks like he’s opting for his Ecoin strategy.
(S02E04)

I think the her is referring to Angela, and might be what tips Whiterose off to Angela in the first place. I don't know who them refers to.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

DaveKap posted:

And then later buys a bunch of new equipment and hacks directly from his house. He didn't need to be in jail to do this, that's why it's unimportant.

He was in jail to disconnect, both from hacking and from mr robot. It didn't work. Him being in jail was still integral to the story. Specifically the ray plot was so he could get online and perform the FBI hack. This is what the dark army gave him his release papers for which he was grateful to receive because jail sucks and his attempts to disconnect from Mr Robot didn't work.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011

DaveKap posted:

Your post is weird but this particular connection is a very good one. That bullet casing in FunSociety has got to be more important than it seems.

I'm struggling to put this into words adequately but I think Whiterose is building towards some kind of AI/human utopia ("mind awake, body asleep"; Mr. Robot), Elliot perhaps toward the same goal or a revolution of some sort, and Price I guess to be more powerful than God?

All three have God complexes. All three are working together in unclear ways. The Watership Township facility is at the center of it.

funny way to spell
Nov 4, 2012

Snak posted:

Maybe Tyrell had reconstructive surgery to hide his identity, but Elliot still just sees him as he was...

i was thinking something similar since it seems odd that Tyrell is always walking around in fancy suits it wouldn't surprise me if he has a beard and sunglasses and looks like a total bum and Elliott's mind turns him into the Tyrell he/we recognize

i don't think there's anyway for Esmail to keep the same quality of writing and keep the show running for 2-3 more seasons without it getting weaker... unless he goes full Lynchian and it just turns into a total nightmare show with no resolution and ends up becoming more like the end of the NGE anime or Twin Peaks s1

funny way to spell fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Sep 25, 2016

GarudaPrime
May 19, 2006

THE PANTS ARE FANCY!
I'm really enjoying the show, but I have low hopes they have an ending planned and without one I doubt it will continue to be good.

Its really starting to feel Lost'ish in the sense that the central mystery is is just going to be a mishandled letdown.

I will give them huge points for not leaving us on a stupid and obvious cliffhanger about weather Eliot survives this season.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

GutBomb posted:

He was in jail to disconnect, both from hacking and from mr robot. It didn't work. Him being in jail was still integral to the story. Specifically the ray plot was so he could get online and perform the FBI hack. This is what the dark army gave him his release papers for which he was grateful to receive because jail sucks and his attempts to disconnect from Mr Robot didn't work.
Most of this is speculation. Yes, he was disconnecting, but even with Elliot saying in the finale that Mr. Robot used Ray's plot as a chance to backdoor ECorp, he needed Darlene to ask him for help before he would do it. It wasn't planned, either from the start of the entire plot or the start of the jail entry. As such, Elliot could have been anywhere other than jail and the plot would have continued. There's also nothing indicating he got his papers for the hack, they just as easily could have been timed based on how far Tyrell had pushed Stage 2 ala setting up their attack location, initial hack code, whatever.

GarudaPrime posted:

I'm really enjoying the show, but I have low hopes they have an ending planned and without one I doubt it will continue to be good.

Its really starting to feel Lost'ish in the sense that the central mystery is is just going to be a mishandled letdown.
They have the ending planned already. The whole main plot is planned. The problem is merely in the execution of translating it from a movie to a tv show. It was amazing in Season 1 and, in my opinion, weaker in Season 2. The only thing that makes it more like Lost is the fact that they want so badly to throw easter eggs throughout the show that they're also misleading people into thinking it's going to turn into a SyFy channel special.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Sep 25, 2016

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

GarudaPrime posted:

The nature of television since Lost aired is that fans on the internet make wild off the wall speculations and then get pissed off at the show when they don't come true and act like it's a failure on the writer's part that their fantasy swerve didn't happen, so it's only a mishandled letdown if you let it be one.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
This show has actually been really good about being really clear in its reveals. It feels like they are really on the ball about explaining what did and didnt happen. Like the prison reveal isn't just at the end of one episode, but then has a whole recap at the beginning of the next episode, and then he goes to visit his mother to shutdown all the "wut if his mom was the prison guard type bullshit".

Edit: and in the Mr. Robot reveal, having Mr. Robot explicitly clarify that when he's talking to someone, it's really Elliot, etc.

Snak fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Sep 25, 2016

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Snak posted:

This show has actually been really good about being really clear in its reveals. It feels like they are really on the ball about explaining what did and didnt happen. Like the prison reveal isn't just at the end of one episode, but then has a whole recap at the beginning of the next episode, and then he goes to visit his mother to shutdown all the "wut if his mom was the prison guard type bullshit".

Edit: and in the Mr. Robot reveal, having Mr. Robot explicitly clarify that when he's talking to someone, it's really Elliot, etc.
Absolutely. They do this stuff really well and it's definitely worth pointing that out how poorly it can be handled in other shows. Dexter, I'm looking at you.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Dexter may have had its strong points, but it was a garbage show from the beginning.

It follows a predictable showtime formula that you also see in weeds and californication.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Snak posted:

Dexter may have had its strong points, but it was a garbage show from the beginning.

It follows a predictable showtime formula that you also see in weeds and californication.
Eh, if you don't watch weeds or californication, it's a bit more fun... though really S1, 2, and 4 were the only good ones.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

DaveKap posted:

Eh, if you don't watch weeds or californication, it's a bit more fun... though really S1, 2, and 4 were the only good ones.

Those are the only good seasons, but they still have those problems. I'm not saying it's bad because if you watch those shows it's predictable, im saying those shows are all garbage, and I think it has to do with Showtime's formula. I don't have any interest in showtime shows after giving all of those a shot.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

What is Showtime's formula? I've watched Dexter and I watched a bunch of seasons of Weeds at least through Mexico, and maybe it's just not fresh, but I'm not seeing an obvious formula both are following.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It's not a plot formula, it's relationship drama bullshit and the way it's handled. There are relationship drama beats that are clearly more important than overall story coherence. They want their characters to have sexy relationships and to have conflict in those relationships, but they don't bother having any of the characters actually act reasonably. But then they frame it all like we're suppose to sympathise and relate to the characters acting like insane psychos.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Snak posted:

It's not a plot formula, it's relationship drama bullshit and the way it's handled. There are relationship drama beats that are clearly more important than overall story coherence. They want their characters to have sexy relationships and to have conflict in those relationships, but they don't bother having any of the characters actually act reasonably. But then they frame it all like we're suppose to sympathise and relate to the characters acting like insane psychos.

Well, I mean Dexter was kind of an insane psycho, so not too far out of character. But I see what you mean now.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
An analysis of frame composition:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNplQBbxjbw

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Powers posted:

Well, I mean Dexter was kind of an insane psycho, so not too far out of character. But I see what you mean now.

It's like how HBO often seems to have a sex/nudity quota they have to fill? Showtime has that with relationship drama, and they're going to fill it whether it makes sense or not. And it undermines my capacity to relate to or sympathise with the characters when I realize they are occasionally going to act completely irrational for no good reason within the narrative.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

at the very least, they didn't follow the original idea of the Dexter novel sequels where the Dark Passenger is a real devil-like entity who haunts him and is ahahahha i can't continue, it's so bad

Dexter's relationship drama with the single mum is still really weak tho

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Dexter should've been about a wannabe vigilante shaping his son's severe PTSD into serial killing. Head Harry should've been the final bad guy, and it should've ended after like three seasons.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

This was really cool, thanks for linking it :)

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Dexter should've followed the 2nd book. But not the 3rd. The 3rd book sucked.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

sticklefifer posted:

Dexter should've followed the 2nd book. But not the 3rd. The 3rd book sucked.

Stop talking about Dexter. If you mention that show too often, it will come back an scratch your eyes out. :chloe:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm pretty sure the finale's title card, especially with the 80s almost-industrial electro music, was a nod to Gibson's "The sky was the color of a television, tuned to a dead channel."

Apologies if someone else already figured that out, I'm still catching up on the thread.

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew

funny way to spell posted:

i was thinking something similar since it seems odd that Tyrell is always walking around in fancy suits it wouldn't surprise me if he has a beard and sunglasses and looks like a total bum and Elliott's mind turns him into the Tyrell he/we recognize

i don't think there's anyway for Esmail to keep the same quality of writing and keep the show running for 2-3 more seasons without it getting weaker... unless he goes full Lynchian and it just turns into a total nightmare show with no resolution and ends up becoming more like the end of the NGE anime or Twin Peaks s1

you do not make eye contact with people in NYC, only tourists do that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Good finale, but Joanna is starting to become obnoxious instead of creepy. She gets the poo poo beaten out of her and she isn't remotely frazzled afterwards even with a totally bruised face. Wouldn't it be great if her cliched Machiavellian plan with framing Scott as his wife's killer turned out to completely blow back on her and just expose what a goddamn weirdo she is?

And seriously rolling my eyes at some of the comments here. Between the liberal labeling of filler on drat fine entertaining storylines like the Shayla hostage arc and the creepy prison encounters and Elliot's own subsequent mindfuck, and the ridiculous fan theories that people just need to make sense otherwise they deem it bad writing in a show which is all about loving with the viewer's perception and deliberately leaving out crucial plot info until it sees fit to clarify, I'm starting to wonder if people here enjoy anything.

• Locked thread