Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
sony a7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Bought a Fuji XPro 2. Any chance any Australian goons know where I can buy a thumb grip locally?

Lensmate's seems to be the best reviewed, but only sold in the US, and shipping cost + time sucks.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Yeast posted:

Bought a Fuji XPro 2. Any chance any Australian goons know where I can buy a thumb grip locally?

Lensmate's seems to be the best reviewed, but only sold in the US, and shipping cost + time sucks.

Gumtree and/or facebook. If the seller looks dodgy when you go to pick it up dont buy it but otherwise they are both good places for anything, if you dont mind second hand.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

whatever7 posted:

If you mount a FF telephoto lens, the covered image circle is probably larger than FF anyway. Plus it's pretty easy to fix vignette in post. I used a m43 fisheye lens on a Nex body.

MFT is almost the same size as APS-C (relative from APS-C to Full Frame), so this coverage is a little easier than expected given MFT lenses are intended to cover almost the same height. The Sigma DN MFT lenses are literally the same as the APS-C lenses with a different rear glass group for the difference in flange focal distance.

FF DSLR lenses with large flange focal distances are going to project the most light backwards in relatively straight lines, the closer the flange focal distance the more pitched the beam and at a certain point the sensor will either pick up color shift or just not get adequate light angled in to the photodiode and this should get worse with smaller apertures. How much of that light is usable is another story. Fast wide angle lenses seem to me to be the best bet as they have the largest rear elements.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Gumtree and/or facebook. If the seller looks dodgy when you go to pick it up dont buy it but otherwise they are both good places for anything, if you dont mind second hand.

Yeah good idea. And no, don't mind second hand, it's a literal piece of metal. Hard to gently caress that up. (knock on wood).

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Yeast posted:

Try using it without one for a bit. I have used a thumb grip on every Fuji body I've owned but don't feel like I need one on the Xpro2.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

re: Dumb Fuji MF mirrorless thing

How quickly I rationalized to myself why I must desperately own a camera I didn't even know existed two days ago. Thank god I'm not in any actual danger of buying one.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

it's a logical evolution of the mirrorless concept. mirrorless gave us dSLR quality in compact size, now we get MF quality in dSLR size.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

spankmeister posted:

it's a logical evolution of the mirrorless concept. mirrorless gave us dSLR quality in compact size, now we get MF quality in dSLR size.

100% agree. I was more disappointed with myself how quickly I justified having to own a multi-throusand dollar camera that I hadn't even heard of days ago.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I just want large format digital that looks like an ipad with a big lens sticking out of it.

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.
I managed to grab a X-T2 off amazon that should be here Friday. Pretty excited!

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

JHVH-1 posted:

I just want large format digital that looks like an ipad with a big lens sticking out of it.

10 years from now, iPhone will have 100 small cameras complete cover its back. The A20 processor will supercompose the images from 100 cameras into 1 large photo. And the image quality will be better than large format camera.

fartmanteau
Mar 15, 2007

whatever7 posted:

10 years from now

https://www.wired.com/2015/10/light-l16-camera/

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
Well, it takes a while to build up the courage to turn 16 into 100.

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Well, it takes a while to build up the courage to turn 16 into 100.

the "Gillette effect", only replace razor blades with mini cameras.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

whatever7 posted:

10 years from now, iPhone will have 100 small cameras complete cover its back. The A20 processor will supercompose the images from 100 cameras into 1 large photo. And the image quality will be better than large format camera.

And nobody will use it, instead preferring the 8 Mpixel front facing selfie camera.

(Stolen from Twitter via Facebook.
https://mobile.twitter.com/victomato/status/780119655423676416)

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Sep 28, 2016

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

jeeeeeeeeesus christ. I'm sure this was one of those "hey, you kids like selfies? Everyone turn around and I'll be in your selfie!" prompted things but good grief.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Sep 28, 2016

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016
Hahahahah..that is frikkin great!

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Finger Prince posted:

And nobody will use it, instead preferring the 8 Mpixel front facing selfie camera.

(Stolen from Twitter via Facebook.
https://mobile.twitter.com/victomato/status/780119655423676416)

Or the post-Millennial kids will be all taking "dronie" with their mosquito sized drones. I will be that one front facing old geezer holder a "mirrorless interchangeable-lens medium format camera" because I am finally able to afford one.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
The context missing from that picture is that she told them to take a selfie.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
How good are 3rd-party Fuji batteries? They cost a third of the originals' price in my region.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Schneider Heim posted:

How good are 3rd-party Fuji batteries? They cost a third of the originals' price in my region.
I've had good luck with my Watson and Wasabi batteries. Supposedly they don't always hit their stated capacities, but for the price I don't mind.

Twenty-Seven
Jul 6, 2008

I'm so tired
i wonder if the 3rd party companies are going to make versions of the new 'S' fuji battery or just rebadge / not bother

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc
Dear Fuji folk, I'm selling my 35mm f/2 because I have a burning desire to own the 27mm f/2.8 again. It's a good deal as long as you don't mind filter ring damage, I didn't when I bought it.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3759085&pagenumber=15#post464781125

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I've had good luck with my Watson and Wasabi batteries. Supposedly they don't always hit their stated capacities, but for the price I don't mind.

I'm Olympus but I have a big pile of Wasabi batteries and they've always been great for me.

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

DJExile posted:

I'm Olympus but I have a big pile of Wasabi batteries and they've always been great for me.

I have 4 of the Wasabi batteries and haven't had any issues with them either. Super cheap too.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.
I got the 2 wasabi's with the charger, no complaints. The charger is easier to travel with than the fuji one with its long rear end cable.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Choicecut posted:

I have 4 of the Wasabi batteries and haven't had any issues with them either. Super cheap too.

Yeah that's the best part. Amazon has a ton of packs of like 2 batteries and a wall charger for like $22 grand total.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.

DJExile posted:

Yeah that's the best part. Amazon has a ton of packs of like 2 batteries and a wall charger for like $22 grand total.

I wouldn't pay 22 grand for batteries man

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Daric posted:

I wouldn't pay 22 grand for batteries man

Everybody says these are the best batteries. Really great batteries, incredible amounts of charge. I mean, people tell me all the time how great these batteries are. Believe me.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Helen Highwater posted:

Everybody says these are the best batteries. Really great batteries, incredible amounts of charge. I mean, people tell me all the time how great these batteries are. Believe me.

Tremendous.

But in seriousness, the wasabi batteries seem to lose their charge really quickly when not in use compared to first-party batteries, but make up for it by being cheap and easy to keep a bunch of batteries and chargers around. They don't hold as much charge either, but I use an a7S so it's already gonna consume the battery a couple times a day either way.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

But in seriousness, the wasabi batteries seem to lose their charge really quickly when not in use compared to first-party batteries, but make up for it by being cheap and easy to keep a bunch of batteries and chargers around. They don't hold as much charge either, but I use an a7S so it's already gonna consume the battery a couple times a day either way.

I find my third party batteries last longer that the originals when in use - it's just that the battery meter doesn't work well and they stay at 'half-charge' for ages and then suddenly die within 3 shots.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Yeah, my wasabi battery basically reads as full for 75% of the time its in my EM10, then it goes to 2/3rds, and a few shots later the indicator is flashing red and then bye-bye.

Edit:

Also, any opinions on this? I plan on using it with my nikon FE2, but then primarily adapted on the EM10. When it comes to 300mm lenses with physical aperture control rings priced under $500, I think this is my best bet. The compatibility with my favorite 35mm film camera is just a bonus. But maybe someone has a different recommendation?

Edit 2: They're a little more exotic, but I guess there's also the Leica Telyt 280/4.8 (eh) or the Contax TeleTessar 300/4 (hmmm). I'm also thinking that the canon FD and olympus OM 300/4.5 aren't any better.

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Oct 1, 2016

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Yeah, my wasabi battery basically reads as full for 75% of the time its in my EM10, then it goes to 2/3rds, and a few shots later the indicator is flashing red and then bye-bye.

Edit:

Also, any opinions on this? I plan on using it with my nikon FE2, but then primarily adapted on the EM10. When it comes to 300mm lenses with physical aperture control rings priced under $500, I think this is my best bet. The compatibility with my favorite 35mm film camera is just a bonus. But maybe someone has a different recommendation?

Edit 2: They're a little more exotic, but I guess there's also the Leica Telyt 280/4.8 (eh) or the Contax TeleTessar 300/4 (hmmm). I'm also thinking that the canon FD and olympus OM 300/4.5 aren't any better.

If price is a concern you can get a 300mm f/4.5 ED-IF for less money.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

The EDIF 4.5 is an older design. I've read (and seen ... at least as much as one can tell from looking at other people's photos) that the AF ED 4 is sharper. What I'm really looking for is the 'king of 300mm f/4's' with physical aperture rings. I don't want the weight (or extra cost) of a 2.8, but $500 isn't exactly a hard cap.

Cost is a concern in as much as I don't want to spring for the Olympus 300/4, I guess. But I am hoping that the price might go down on that in a year or so when used copies become more available. Until then...

Edit: Based on a little more scratching around, it seems like the CZJ Sonnar 300/4 has a superior reputation to the above-mentioned Tele Tessar. But there are lots of examples on Flickr, of images taken from the various nikon 300's. These more obscure options are a little harder to make good comparisons with.

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Oct 1, 2016

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Schneider Heim posted:

I have gotten the same life out of them as the oem battery, but like others said the battery meter is not accurate. I have had so many electronics that don't have accurate battery meters though that I never trust them anyway and just go based off of experience knowing how much life is left from time shooting. The wasabi charger also comes with a car charger plug which is neat.

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.
Speaking as a total nooblet, the Fujifilm X-T2 is amazing. I went out shooting with it today and it was really incredible. I only have the kit lens right now but very happy. I was temporarily mortified since UPS delivered it in a box they must have used as a soccer ball and even the lens box inside the XT-2 package was banged up, but everything works so w/e.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .
I think I might buy the Canon M5 in a year or two, if they get on the used market for pretty cheap & the EF adapter has good AF. I'm already so balls deep in EF glass that I might as well, plus I can't really switch because owning EF glass is too useful for my video work. It'd be nice if they'd actually bothered giving it some 4K & all that, but it's Canon so whatever. But I just hate lugging around an entire DSLR just to take photos.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Adapting EF glass to an M5 won't result in a much more compact package, I imagine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm wondering whether the "losing settings when turning XPro-1 off, even with a charged battery" could have something to do with the lovely Eye-Fi card I put in there. Maybe it's sucking too much battery while the camera is off? Dunno. Just pulled it out and I'll try a comparison.

Lost my settings twice tonight until I finally got fed up and disabled auto-shutoff. lovely workaround but hopefully I won't need it any longer.