Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

squirreltactic
Sep 17, 2003
Just so I know I'm not missing something on my card... You get 6% back at grocery stores with the Blue Cash Preferred, not the Blue Cash Everyday, correct?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

squirreltactic posted:

Just so I know I'm not missing something on my card... You get 6% back at grocery stores with the Blue Cash Preferred, not the Blue Cash Everyday, correct?

Preferred is 6% all the time. AmEx is running a special for some people with Blue Cash Everyday that gives them the same bonuses as preferred through New Year's Eve.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

squirreltactic posted:

There's a targeted promotion with the Everyday until the end of the year where it is earning 6%, but normally it's only 3%. I have a Blue Cash Everyday and didn't get the offer. :(

Baddog
May 12, 2001
You can buy money orders with the visa cards and then deposit the money order in the bank. The costs and time start to add up, and I've never done it, but that's supposedly the main way to ms now. For 6 percent it could be worth it with some volume, although seems it's primarily a way to hit a lot of signup bonuses.

Gotta be the right visa card I think though? Vanilla?

ARCDad
Jul 22, 2007
Not to be confused with poptartin
I've got an American Express that I've had for about 2 years now, but I never use anymore because I get better points on my Capital One card. It's got no balance on it as I paid it off completely, so it's just wasting space in my safe.

Is it better to just cancel this one, or find some small charge (like Hulu) I can put on it and set it up for autopay? I don't need it, so I don't really see the point in keeping it around I guess.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Does it have an annual fee? If it does, maybe just downgrade it to a card that doesn't?

ARCDad
Jul 22, 2007
Not to be confused with poptartin

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Does it have an annual fee? If it does, maybe just downgrade it to a card that doesn't?

Nope, no annual fee. I don't have any cards that have an annual fee at this point actually

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

momtartin posted:

Nope, no annual fee. I don't have any cards that have an annual fee at this point actually

Consensus is to typically to keep it with a small rotating charge as you mentioned.

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005

momtartin posted:

I've got an American Express that I've had for about 2 years now, but I never use anymore because I get better points on my Capital One card. It's got no balance on it as I paid it off completely, so it's just wasting space in my safe.

Is it better to just cancel this one, or find some small charge (like Hulu) I can put on it and set it up for autopay? I don't need it, so I don't really see the point in keeping it around I guess.

Baddog posted:

You can buy money orders with the visa cards and then deposit the money order in the bank. The costs and time start to add up, and I've never done it, but that's supposedly the main way to ms now. For 6 percent it could be worth it with some volume, although seems it's primarily a way to hit a lot of signup bonuses.

Gotta be the right visa card I think though? Vanilla?

Vanilla visas do not work (well) at Walmart, nor do some MasterCards. Other then that the brand of gift card is irrelevant beyond how the pin is assigned.

Not all Walmart /grocery stores/post offices will let you use a gift card so don't start with $500.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Also, depositing lots of smallish money orders is a pretty good way to freak out your bank (and potentially get the attention of the IRS).

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

wyoak posted:

Also, depositing lots of smallish money orders is a pretty good way to freak out your bank (and potentially get the attention of the IRS).

This reminds me of the time my bank account got frozen because of diablo 3 ah transactions

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Flat Daddy posted:

Called reconsideration, they said they could exclude my authorized user accounts...

...and was denied because when you take away my AU's I have too little accounts opened for too short of time. Which is why we added each other as AU for everything... Oh well. Time to look for some other bonus to do next. At least we got our CSP bonuses earlier this year.

An update to the above: I just went to Chase to open up a checking and savings account (there's a $500 bonus) and they mentioned I was pre-approved for the Chase Sapphire Reserve. I applied there and was instantly approved. Apparently the odds are a lot better if you show up at a branch in person.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Hey, thanks Citi! First time I've tried this feature and it worked!

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

I've made it a habit to get my receipt for in-store purchase because of this program. It sucks when it can't find exactly what you bought, though the paperwork isn't terrible.

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012
I'm thinking about picking up the CSR. I have a question on the annual $450 fee and $300 travel bonus. What are the resets on these? Are the applied / reset at the beginning of the year, or are they based on your open date?

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005

Keystoned posted:

I'm thinking about picking up the CSR. I have a question on the annual $450 fee and $300 travel bonus. What are the resets on these? Are the applied / reset at the beginning of the year, or are they based on your open date?

Annual fee is billed up front. Travel credit is calendar year (so you can use it twice before the card is up for renewal)

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Keystoned posted:

Open date for annual fee, like all cards do.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

DeceasedHorse posted:

Travel credit is calendar year
This should work out nicely for a trip over New Year's. :getin:

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Nice. I've used it three times so far this year for over $100 back total. Always a nice surprise to see that notice in my inbox.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

The thing I got didn't come back with a lower price :(

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

DeceasedHorse posted:

Annual fee is billed up front. Travel credit is calendar year (so you can use it twice before the card is up for renewal)

Whoa, so I could do $300 in December and $300 again in January? That's awesome.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Vox Nihili posted:

This should work out nicely for a trip over New Year's. :getin:

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Is there a verdict on SPG points? When I phoned to cancel, the lady told me that they wouldn't know for 3 yrs.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Vox Nihili posted:

Be careful, from what I'd read (and it's possible I didn't read it right) the $300 credit you'd get this year has to be in a statement before the year ends and the one for next year can be anytime after 1/1/17. I don't know when your statements close, but I'd err on the safe side and ensure you get the credit early, or just buy flight tickets now for a New Years trip.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Does anyone know if it is still possible to send yourself money via Paypal to a different email address funded by Visa / AmEx giftcards?

Freedom has 5% back at Drugstore this quarter and it seems like a very easy way to hit the spending cap.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Pulled the trigger on the CSR card since I'm planning a trip in November and sometime in the summer next year, which should give me an opportunity to use both $300 calendar bonuses and the $1,500 promotional bonus and then cancel before the 1st year is up (or downgrade it to double cash if they allow me). They set me up with a $24,000 limit, which is pretty intimidating.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Vox Nihili posted:

or downgrade it to double cash if they allow me
Different banks. They might let you change it to a Freedom Unlimited, but they didn't for my CSP.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Different banks. They might let you change it to a Freedom Unlimited, but they didn't for my CSP.

Oops, no idea how I missed that. Anyway, probably makes more sense to just shut it down entirely and try for a bonus on the Freedom card a couple years down the road in that case.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?

Vox Nihili posted:

Pulled the trigger on the CSR card since I'm planning a trip in November and sometime in the summer next year, which should give me an opportunity to use both $300 calendar bonuses and the $1,500 promotional bonus and then cancel before the 1st year is up (or downgrade it to double cash if they allow me). They set me up with a $24,000 limit, which is pretty intimidating.

What is the $1500 reward?

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

The Mantis posted:

I think he means the 100,000 points which are valued at least 1.5 cents per point.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

The Mantis posted:

"100,000 points" which can be redeemed for $1,500 for travel or $1,000 in cash.

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
With the Chase Sapphire Reserve it says buses count under the travel category but in my online statement my bus pass (CapMetro app) came back just as normal 1x points. Is there a place to fix this or am I just at the mercy of however Chase & CapMetro are set up?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Flat Daddy posted:

With the Chase Sapphire Reserve it says buses count under the travel category but in my online statement my bus pass (CapMetro app) came back just as normal 1x points. Is there a place to fix this or am I just at the mercy of however Chase & CapMetro are set up?

You can call and ask if they will give you the difference. They don't have to, but they will do it sometimes.

Usually they will only do it retroactively on a one-time basis though. They'll just tell you that for future purchases that they aren't responsible for how vendors code their purchases.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Any huge credit ramifications for canceling a card I just signed up for? Signed up for it to get an extra 1% back over my other cards in a few categories, but after thinking about it more, the redemption method kind of sucks which makes it not worth the hassle of another card. The card has no annual fee, so I could just keep it and not use it, but it'd be nice to just get rid of it if it won't cause much damage long term.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Splinter posted:

Any huge credit ramifications for canceling a card I just signed up for? Signed up for it to get an extra 1% back over my other cards in a few categories, but after thinking about it more, the redemption method kind of sucks which makes it not worth the hassle of another card. The card has no annual fee, so I could just keep it and not use it, but it'd be nice to just get rid of it if it won't cause much damage long term.

In your particular situation, there shouldn't be any lasting harm. Maybe some tiny blip for a month or two on the cancel, maybe the issuer doesn't like you as much anymore, but these aren't certain and aren't much of a risk.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Anyone else get this? I just got a $150 credit offer on my BoA card if I call in and then start using it again ($500 spend):

Of course they offer this to me just as my Sapphire Reserve shows up. It's already going to be tough to hit my $4k spend on that and I really don't want to pull any shady bullshit to make it happen, either.

$150, though...

asur
Dec 28, 2012
If you really can't make the spending then two easy options are to use the myriad of online bill payment options or to PayPal a friend. They'll take a %, 2-3, but definitely worth it in this case.

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005
Yeah, that's a $135 profit if you Paypal or square cash a "friend"

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Vox Nihili posted:

Anyone else get this? I just got a $150 credit offer on my BoA card if I call in and then start using it again ($500 spend):

Of course they offer this to me just as my Sapphire Reserve shows up. It's already going to be tough to hit my $4k spend on that and I really don't want to pull any shady bullshit to make it happen, either.

$150, though...

Yeah, I got that too. I'm going to do it, free $150, why not!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Vox Nihili posted:

$150, though...

Predictit redeposit :)