Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
In hosed-up media rules: Annointed President Temer is in the US, shilling the new, improved Brazil to investors and such, and was caught on film basically saying "Yeah, we tried to get president Dilma to do the free-market reforms, but she wouldn't, so we kicked her out".

Bizarrely, zero local media vehicles reported on that. ONE pundit from a newspaper (Lucia Guimaraes from Estadao) brought it up on Twitter to say that the video seemed to be a fake and accuse the leaker of fraud, then grew gradually more mortified as more videos appeared to corroborate the event, saying that it wasn't possible because "Temer is a Constitutional Scholar and would never say it". It's borderline 'Did you see that our chocolate rations were increased to sixty grams?" stuff.

Lucia herself is a great example of local 'progressive'. She will post heartfelt, literate stuff in support of US progressivism, against Brexit and Le Pen in France, concerned about Trump and the alt-right...but the moment it becomes about local lefties, kill them all and let God sort them out, the Bolivarist bartards!

Video of Temer dropping the kayfabe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pP2IGTZOS4M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Pudding
Aug 7, 2010
To be fair, I read that on The Intercept when it came out and thought "nah, this is going a bit too far, Temer isn't an idiot and wouldn't say it just like that" like Lucia did.

But no, the whole thing was officially transcribed by the government!

I'd like to see Fora Dilma anti-corruption activists comment on that, but damned if I can find them now.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Bread Pudding posted:

To be fair, I read that on The Intercept when it came out and thought "nah, this is going a bit too far, Temer isn't an idiot and wouldn't say it just like that" like Lucia did.

But no, the whole thing was officially transcribed by the government!

I'd like to see Fora Dilma anti-corruption activists comment on that, but damned if I can find them now.

ROTFLMAO

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Lucia Guimaraes is the epitome of the Brazilian elite who longs to be cosmopolitan while also enjoying all the privileges of a highly unequal society.
Because of this story, she got super upset with Greenwald, who she accuses of monopolizing the international perception of the Brazilian impeachment (oh, the irony). In a recent interview, Greenwald called Hillary a devil. So Lucia Guimaraes tweeted this:

https://twitter.com/luciaguimaraes/status/779714393361805312

Using it to attack Greenwald. Here she is basically trying to mock him by saying "Millions would lose healthcare under Trump, yet Hillary is the Devil."

And like every good Brazilian elite, she is deeply concerned about race relations in the US:

https://twitter.com/luciaguimaraes/status/779391985669042176

https://twitter.com/luciaguimaraes/status/779376302805647360

https://twitter.com/luciaguimaraes/status/779373678622609408

But in Brazil, of course, if you disagree with her you must have been bought with cheap "assistentialism" from the government

https://twitter.com/luciaguimaraes/status/779459100539314176

Just like she mocks people who complain of lack of diversity in Temer's government

https://twitter.com/luciaguimaraes/status/778342437626474496

https://twitter.com/luciaguimaraes/status/778230458085675008

And you will never find her saying anything about police brutality in Sao Paulo.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Is it wrong of me to like Glenn Greenwald?

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

joepinetree posted:

Lucia Guimaraes is the epitome of the Brazilian elite who longs to be cosmopolitan while also enjoying all the privileges of a highly unequal society.

I don't know about this view but.. It's kind of interesting the dissonance in how she holds liberal views for US and a reactionary attitude for Brazil. Are you saying that this is common among, I don't know what to call, "americanized brazilians"?

This is pretty much me calling her shallow but I guess this just reveals the different kinds of friends she holds in Brazil and USA.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Symbolic Butt posted:

I don't know about this view but.. It's kind of interesting the dissonance in how she holds liberal views for US and a reactionary attitude for Brazil. Are you saying that this is common among, I don't know what to call, "americanized brazilians"?

This is pretty much me calling her shallow but I guess this just reveals the different kinds of friends she holds in Brazil and USA.

Yes, it is a pretty good example of how people's opinions are shaped less by consideration and more by who they respect.

Or the editorial line of where she works, in this case.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Symbolic Butt posted:

It's extremely common among a significant share of the upper middle classes, especially in the southeast. A bunch of people have written about it, more famously Roberto Schwarz and Roberto DaMatta. Elite Brazilians who are cosmopolitan and progressive internationally while defending things like slavery or attacking human rights for prisoners in Brazil.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
You get them a lot in Argentina as well, and I am sure to more or less the same degree in any other Latin American country I'm sure. They can be best defined as the "I'm all for it, but there's just no way it would work here" argument crowd. The basis for the statement is that sustains the reasoning is then almost always either racist or reactionary on class lines. There's almost never a thorough argument why police shouldn't just shoot people or whatever.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

punk rebel ecks posted:

Is it wrong of me to like Glenn Greenwald?

No

Winter Rose
Sep 27, 2007

Understand how unstable the truth can be.

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

You get them a lot in Argentina as well, and I am sure to more or less the same degree in any other Latin American country I'm sure. They can be best defined as the "I'm all for it, but there's just no way it would work here" argument crowd. The basis for the statement is that sustains the reasoning is then almost always either racist or reactionary on class lines. There's almost never a thorough argument why police shouldn't just shoot people or whatever.

My husband is Mexican, and his parents are staunch Democrats in the US but support the PAN (center right) in Mexico. I don't really get it.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Winter Rose posted:

My husband is Mexican, and his parents are staunch Democrats in the US but support the PAN (center right) in Mexico. I don't really get it.

Well being that the other parties to choose are PRI who are extremely corrupt, and a party who after getting trounced in elections refused the results I can't blame them at the moment.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

joepinetree posted:

Just like she mocks people who complain of lack of diversity in Temer's government

https://twitter.com/luciaguimaraes/status/778342437626474496

https://twitter.com/luciaguimaraes/status/778230458085675008

And you will never find her saying anything about police brutality in Sao Paulo.

I feel like tweeting about Brazilian politics in English is another aspect of this.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah Brazilians you need a Robespierre.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Crowsbeak posted:

Yeah Brazilians you need a Robespierre.

Oh God, yes, we do.

Brazil had a lot republican (and separatist) revolts during the 19th century and they were all violently crushed. It is rather telling that the monarchy was deposed by the military and landowners rather than by a popular revolt (and a short time after abolishing slavery too).

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
All of the Chilenos and other South Americans I've talked to in Santiago are universally mortified and afraid of Donald Trump. Well, all of the Europeans, Australians, Asians, and North Americans I meet here are as well.

But I think in the case of Donald Trump, a lot of it has to do with pride because he has been so insulting towards Latinos. If Donald Trump had spent the last 16 months attacking Vietnamese immigrants, they might not really care one way or another.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

If he had spent the last 16 months attacking Bolivians or Paraguayans they'd probably think he was a cool guy.

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

Badger of Basra posted:

If he had spent the last 16 months attacking Bolivians or Paraguayans they'd probably think he was a cool guy.

Yeah I've heard people here steal his language in regards to building a wall with Peru and Bolivia.

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0ZSQ1--X3M

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

glowing-fish posted:

All of the Chilenos and other South Americans I've talked to in Santiago are universally mortified and afraid of Donald Trump. Well, all of the Europeans, Australians, Asians, and North Americans I meet here are as well.

But I think in the case of Donald Trump, a lot of it has to do with pride because he has been so insulting towards Latinos. If Donald Trump had spent the last 16 months attacking Vietnamese immigrants, they might not really care one way or another.

I'd like to see you ask around Viña del Mar.

Jambo Jambos
Sep 3, 2011

Winter Rose posted:

The Democrats are center right too.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Haha, in the debates for the Rio Mayor, Flávio Bolsonaro brought his father along to help (who interjected and insulted other candidates during commercial breaks). That is such a pansy-rear end move I'm suprised more people aren't jumping all over this.

Sulla
May 10, 2008
Former Chief of Staff and Finance Minister Antonio Palocci just got busted.

Today's arrests probably put the Lava Jato list at just over 200 names (83 executives, 54 current or former politicians) with 64 convictions so far :sotw:.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

nerdz posted:

Haha, in the debates for the Rio Mayor, Flávio Bolsonaro brought his father along to help (who interjected and insulted other candidates during commercial breaks). That is such a pansy-rear end move I'm suprised more people aren't jumping all over this.

You know what we need? We need someone to Lowtax these guys and challenge them to a boxing match.

Myriarch
May 14, 2013

Jambo Jambos posted:

As people have to be continually reminded in this thread, politics in Latin America are centered on the right. So while the US democrats are center-right by european standards (and square center in the US) they are very much on the left/center-left in Mexico and Latin America.

Myriarch fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Sep 26, 2016

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Jambo Jambos posted:

We are not talking about a contradiction in terms of positions on the spectrum, but in terms of actual policies. That is, we are not talking about, say, a British conservative being a democrat because American politics are further right.

We are talking about actual policy positions. The journalist I was mocking, for example, will frequently share stories about the police shooting African Americans in the US, horrified. But then she will turn around and mock people who complained that the Temer government was all white and male, and will support a state government in Sao Paulo responsible for a number of deaths that are several multiple times higher than the US as a whole.

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Sep 26, 2016

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

joepinetree posted:

We are not talking about a contradiction in terms of positions on the spectrum, but in terms of actual policies. That is, we are not talking about, say, a British conservative being a democrat because American politics are further right.

We are talking about actual policy positions. The journalist I was mocking, for example, will frequently share stories about the police shooting African Americans in the US, horrified. But then she will turn around and mock people who complained that the Temer government was all white and male, and will support a state government in Sao Paulo responsible not only for a number of deaths that are several multiple times higher than the US as a whole.

It's nice to know that we're still seen as a shining city on a hill, even if it's only by idiots.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Brazil is pretty much what would happen if China made one of their traditional ripoffs out of the entire United States of America. A good chunk of middle and upper-middle class basically think they're Americans, it's just that they pretend to be from the 00s while they actually think like people from the 50s. It leads to these interesting contradictions, as joe pointed out. It's hard to be cosmopolitan when an actual cosmopolitan person will look at you and go "...that's kinda backwards", so people take the liberal left position in English and whatever center-right line of thinking they find more interesting in Portuguese.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Dias posted:

You know what we need? We need someone to Lowtax these guys and challenge them to a boxing match.

We need someone to Lee Harvey Oswald these guys and dome them in their heads with a rifle.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Dias posted:

Brazil is pretty much what would happen if China made one of their traditional ripoffs out of the entire United States of America. A good chunk of middle and upper-middle class basically think they're Americans, it's just that they pretend to be from the 00s while they actually think like people from the 50s. It leads to these interesting contradictions, as joe pointed out. It's hard to be cosmopolitan when an actual cosmopolitan person will look at you and go "...that's kinda backwards", so people take the liberal left position in English and whatever center-right line of thinking they find more interesting in Portuguese.

I love my sister-in-law to death, but this isn't an entirely inaccurate assessment of her politics. :v:

Edit: what's this about the Sao Paolo government murking people? Not that I'm necessarily surprised, I just hadn't heard it before.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I love my sister-in-law to death, but this isn't an entirely inaccurate assessment of her politics. :v:

Edit: what's this about the Sao Paolo government murking people? Not that I'm necessarily surprised, I just hadn't heard it before.

http://www.insightcrime.org/news-analysis/data-highlights-police-violence-in-sao-paulo-brazil

Also, Sao Paulo's ruling party nominated a former military police colonel to head the human rights commission for the state. This colonel has been involved in the deaths of 36 civilians.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

joepinetree posted:

http://www.insightcrime.org/news-analysis/data-highlights-police-violence-in-sao-paulo-brazil

Also, Sao Paulo's ruling party nominated a former military police colonel to head the human rights commission for the state. This colonel has been involved in the deaths of 36 civilians.

Who? Telhada? Please tell me it's not Telhada. If so, he's seen as a hero by many people (which is disgusting but that's besides the point). He did a book signing event in an anime con about the comic book they made about him, which is absurd enough.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

We need someone to Lee Harvey Oswald these guys and dome them in their heads with a rifle.

It is a shame that when politicians start dying the military take it as an invitation to take over.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

nerdz posted:

Who? Telhada? Please tell me it's not Telhada. If so, he's seen as a hero by many people (which is disgusting but that's besides the point). He did a book signing event in an anime con about the comic book they made about him, which is absurd enough.

Yes, though to be clear, we are talking about the Human Rights Position in the state assembly of Sao Paulo. He was originally considered for the presidency of the commission, but had to settle for just being a member after pushback:

http://www.al.sp.gov.br/alesp/comissao/?idComissao=12455

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

nerdz posted:

Badass, want to see the comic book.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

nerdz posted:

haha holy poo poo

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Apparently the referendum to back the peace deal with the FARC in Colombia narrowly failed? Why was this a referendum

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The FARC were getting attacked by right wing death squads the second they accepted the deal and started demobilizing anyway so it's a good thing it failed.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Because peace sucks and war fuckin rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
In Brazilian news, as was expected, progressive candidates got loving slaughtered in mayoral races around the country.

Special props to São Paulo for electing the Brazilian Trump in the first round.

(Not even joking, he hosted our version of The Apprentice - altough he was second one to do it, so maybe he's the Martha Stewart of this analogy)

... Man, this loving city deserves to die of thirst, with lovely public transportation, despised by everyone else around it.

E: Though actual props to Rio for putting Freixo in the second round. The evangelical base means he's probably hosed, but good on him for even making it.

The Unnamed One fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Oct 3, 2016