Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

Was it timb? He gets a bit spergy about that sort of thing.

I downloaded one of these battery life apps and it's saying my 6's battery is nearly half dead. What the gently caress. 1000/1751 mAh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

various cheeses posted:

I downloaded one of these battery life apps and it's saying my 6's battery is nearly half dead. What the gently caress. 1000/1751 mAh.

If those are even remotely right, my 6S's is totally hosed in under a year, and given that it was at 20% yesterday after 4 hours with hardly any use, it might just be remotely right. So I have a Genius appointment on Thursday.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Were you guys keeping your phones plugged in all the time or something?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

tuyop posted:

Were you guys keeping your phones plugged in all the time or something?

This isn't harmful to the type of battery in the iPhone. Cycling is what kills battery life with lithium batteries. Although I think Apple does recommend cycling them once in a while, I believe it's more for calibrating the controller. I kept my rMBP plugged in for nearly an entire year, had like 12 cycles on it, and the battery was good as new.

You're thinking of NiCad batteries, those need to be cycled, but that's not what is used here.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Pivo posted:

This isn't harmful to the type of battery in the iPhone. Cycling is what kills battery life with lithium batteries. Although I think Apple does recommend cycling them once in a while, I believe it's more for calibrating the controller. I kept my rMBP plugged in for nearly an entire year, had like 12 cycles on it, and the battery was good as new.

You're thinking of NiCad batteries, those need to be cycled, but that's not what is used here.

Keeping lithium ion batteries at >80% or <20% capacity for extended periods of time reduces the amount of cycles the battery gets in total (which is why they're shipped and stored at 80%). The weird battery magic in Apple's controllers seems pretty effective, I guess, but I've got an ancient 5S with like 89% capacity left and kind of try to keep it hovering around 50% so I'm curious what these guys did.

And I know you've heard this before, I'm actually wondering what these people did, not starting a battery science war.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I dunno, I've just...used my phone. Charge it overnight or when it's getting low. I don't really think about it and don't really keep it plugged in all the time, no.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
My launch 6S is reporting 1700/1715 mAh. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Could just be a dodgy battery. I have noticed that my battery life on both my iPhone and my iPad is shorter since upgrading to iOS 10 though. Nothing remotely like my phone dying after 4 hours though. I used to be at around 70-75% battery after my first day post charging, now I typically go to bed with the phone at around 50-60%.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

I do keep mine plugged in overnight, and I've been using it as a gps in my car (while plugged in) more recently. I wonder if that accelerated its demise.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

various cheeses posted:

I do keep mine plugged in overnight, and I've been using it as a gps in my car (while plugged in) more recently. I wonder if that accelerated its demise.

It didn't.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

xzzy posted:

It didn't.

Well I'm getting my new fingerprint black 128gb in a couple weeks anyways. Hopefully it can hold on until then.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Got my 7 Plus. I can finally stop being a poor rear end bitch.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
loving UPS. I had my delivery set to will-call so they would hold it at a UPS facility because I'm out of town this weekend. And guess what. They attempted Saturday delivery anyway. It says they will attempt redelivery on Monday at least.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

echobucket posted:

loving UPS. I had my delivery set to will-call so they would hold it at a UPS facility because I'm out of town this weekend. And guess what. They attempted Saturday delivery anyway. It says they will attempt redelivery on Monday at least.

Dude I spent like 20 minutes on the phone with them Tuesday. Got them to hold it at UPS and they still delivered it today anyway.

My tracking poo poo even says
"A delivery change for this package is in progress. / The receiver arranged to pick up the package at a UPS facility."

They still ignored it. Now not complaining because my aunt happened to be house sitting at my out of town mothers house where it shipped to but seriously.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

LODGE NORTH posted:

A Netflix mini series will be out soon based on your iPhone saga.

Did you make it a nice candle lit dinner before the unboxing?

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro

LODGE NORTH posted:

Welcome to the fold, brother

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

rage-saq posted:

A Netflix mini series will be out soon based on your iPhone saga.

Did you make it a nice candle lit dinner before the unboxing?

No, but I took my pants off. Not sexually or anything, but because I was finally home.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
the Plus went from feeling too big to just right.. I don't know how I lived life on a 4 inch.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

Fragrag posted:

Has anybody had a problem with their iPhone 5s being picky with how they're being charged?

My girlfriend's iPhone has had issues charging, starting when we were on vacation in Indonesia. She left it to charge from a wall adapter overnight and it only charged up to 36% until it stopped. Since then, it's been really picky on when it wants to charge. I have a battery bank with 2 outputs, one 1A and the other 2A and the phone only charges from the 2A output.
So we used this till we came back home where all of a sudden, it's not charging from the 2A output but it now does from a USB wall plug with two outputs, but only if it's the only one plugged in. It will stop working once the other USB socket is connected.

Not exactly the same problem, but my mom's 5S stopped recognizing the lightning connector no matter where I plugged it in. After trying to clean lint out of the port and still having the same issue, I read on some forum to try restarting the phone and that magically fixed it. So maybe restart the phone?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Hey just in case for you "clean out the port" guys, remember the plug contacts can get dirty, too.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Cables can also go lovely

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro

Avocados posted:

I don't know how I lived life on a 4 inch.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Don't know how your girl does it either.

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

fourwood posted:

My launch 6S is reporting 1700/1715 mAh. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My year-and-a-half-old 6 is reporting 1751/1751 mAh. I'm beginning to think these battery life apps are full of poo poo.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Cancelled my order and got a gold 7+ because three weeks is frankly not worth it just for a particular color.

Used the dongle to connect the phone to the car radio. Feeling courageous already

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
The Rose Gold 128GB 7+ just came in stock near me, so I went ahead and reserved it. Pink, guy, who cares. I'll get a skin for the back maybe. My reservation is at 6PM, I don't have much experience with Apple Stores. Would it be a big deal to show up a hour or so early? I don't see why they'd have to spend THAT much time with me getting this iPhone up and going.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
It's so surprising to me when people settle for colors on a 700 dollar device. You can't wait a week? This phone was super un-updated, too, so why the rush?

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Could someone link that bluetooth dongle again in the thread. The Wirecutter has been recommending this Anker system but it's been out of stock for a few weeks now.

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro

89 posted:

The Rose Gold 128GB 7+ just came in stock near me, so I went ahead and reserved it. Pink, guy, who cares. I'll get a skin for the back maybe. My reservation is at 6PM, I don't have much experience with Apple Stores. Would it be a big deal to show up a hour or so early? I don't see why they'd have to spend THAT much time with me getting this iPhone up and going.

I showed up about 45 minutes early for mine and they saw me within 10 minutes

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Disappointing Pie posted:

Could someone link that bluetooth dongle again in the thread. The Wirecutter has been recommending this Anker system but it's been out of stock for a few weeks now.

People here have been suggesting the "Mpow Streambot."

I have a Sony SBH-20 that costs twice as much, but it's tiny and works pretty well. I've never used the Mpow so I can't speak to whether the Sony is worth twice the cost.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I lost my dongle already.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
When I picked up my phone yesterday the employee helping me (who was normally a tech but helping with sales due to the crowds) mentioned that there is a known battery issue with the software where sometimes the phone can suddenly decide it has no charge left but if you plug it back in it shoots up to over 40%. She said that this can transfer between phones through the backups but that they can fix it if you take the phone in.

So maybe try calling/going to an Apple store if you have a battery problem.

Also it might be the cable going bad if the phone won't charge at all. I had that start happen a few weeks ago and switching cables (even using the same wall plug) solved it.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

rear end Catchcum posted:

It's so surprising to me when people settle for colors on a 700 dollar device. You can't wait a week? This phone was super un-updated, too, so why the rush?
Because different things matter for different people? Color doesn't matter that much to me, and if for whatever I just can't stand the sight of gold I can throw a case on the thing. poo poo, most people get cases anyways so how important is color really?

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Zero One posted:

When I picked up my phone yesterday the employee helping me (who was normally a tech but helping with sales due to the crowds) mentioned that there is a known battery issue with the software where sometimes the phone can suddenly decide it has no charge left but if you plug it back in it shoots up to over 40%. She said that this can transfer between phones through the backups but that they can fix it if you take the phone in.

So maybe try calling/going to an Apple store if you have a battery problem.

Also it might be the cable going bad if the phone won't charge at all. I had that start happen a few weeks ago and switching cables (even using the same wall plug) solved it.

I had this exact issue on a 6s and they swapped phones and now it's gone. Feelsgoodman

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I would return those Rose Golds if you're trying to get matte black. Those are restocking around the nation and should see some steady quantities throughout this week.

Chim
Jun 23, 2004
Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart!
picked up a 7 plus 256gb jet black today from my local store after getting an email last night from Apple saying it was here for one day only. it was worth the hassle and wait. I had a matte black 128 7 plus for the first week it was available, no regrets at all on the upgrade.

The jet black has an incredible feel to it, it essentially is seamless in texture with the front glass. I disagree that it feels like a plastic 3G, and I used one for years. The metal warms to the touch and is super grippy - you can support its weight and use it with just 3 fingers without being worried about it sliding off. Visuals are subjective and I think the mirror shine looks amazing.

I actually haven't been as impressed with a yearly iteration upgrade as I have with the 6s+ to 7+. They finally got everything right in terms of usability. It runs faster than my 2013 retina mbp with 16gigs of ram. the battery life now lasts the full day even with heavy usage.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jet black is my ideal, but I settled on matte since I'm sticking it in a case anyway. Plus I saw it at the store and it was covered in fingerprints, as expected. It sure it pretty when clean, though.

Maybe next year!

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

My Apple Store was smart and had no Jet Black phones on display.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Incidentally, I went to the newly renovated Clarendon store and it's niiiiiiiice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Well you guys convinced me and I bought a saddle brown case for my 7+. Phone hasn't shipped yet but with my kid being delivered Monday I figured I wouldn't get out to the Apple Store any time soon. Man that is some nice looking leather. It really looks like it is a different leather from the other cases.