Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Actually I find I'm giving serious thought to running this. What could go wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
System
Setting
Adventure
Supplemental Product
Art
Other Game Writing (Reviews, game industry history, etc.)
Fiction (for tie-in fiction for games)
Website
Writer
Publisher
New Designer
Artist

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
I want to go with a little more in the way of genre/type too.

Best Dungeon Crawler
Best GM-less Game
Best Game For Licensed Property (needs a better name, but this'll get The One Ring and Dresden Files RPG and so on)
Best Box Set
Best Budget Game (Print copy retails for under $15 or so)
Best Translated Game (Ryuutama, In Nomine, and The Dark Eye would all be eligible in their year of publication)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Maybe categories for things like "inclusivity" and "well-managed Kickstarter."

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
I invite you to consider the savage arguments which will be made about which games qualify for "Best Inclusivity".

Also the kickstarter one would just go to Kevin Crawford in every year in which he runs one.

Monokeros deAstris
Nov 7, 2006
which means Magical Space Unicorn

I'd prefer that inclusivity/representation be baked into the criteria for things like Setting, Art, Game Writing, Fiction, probably Characters (NPCs and pregen PCs in games where that makes sense). I'd want to avoid a situation where it's ok to shove a token work into a separate category and then ignore inclusivity in the "real" awards.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Rand Brittain posted:

Maybe categories for things like "inclusivity" and "well-managed Kickstarter."

I don't like the idea of an "inclusivity" award because like, a lot of games are working to be more inclusive and choose The One Most Inclusive seems really weird and against the spirit of what you're trying to get across. Like, to use an irl example, who is more inclusive, a campus feminist collective that has a diverse sexuality and gender identity membership or a urban farming co-op in Detroit that has a lot more working class people and racial minorities, and what is to be gained for choosing one over the other rather than just making people aware of both?

If you want to bring attention to those initiatives just include whoever you think is doing positive work, don't try to single someone out, especially because then you're going to run into situations where the product you gave the award to has wonderful depictions of racial minorities and women but still has language that makes it clear it isn't for Poor Gamers and there's no reference to differently-abled persons, and then you have to justify how the categories you picked are a better measurement of inclusiveness and boy howdy is that gonna be fun.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

This is a Trad game forum, not just an RPG forum. There should probably be categories for board games, card games, and miniatures games as well. There is plenty of traffic in those areas so there is likely plenty of people well versed in them as to quality and such.

FromTheStars-Dust
Sep 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Leperflesh posted:

I'm thinking about it and I think Zak is actually a unique issue.

Zak S. is a known serial stalker with a posse. When people have called out this stalker, he has stalked them. Which is terrible, but also somewhat predictable.

Are there any other known stalkers (with or without posses) in the TG industry? If not, I think it's probably not fair to conflate Zak with the industry and claim that any attempt at criticism of TG's products or people will inevitably result in the critic being stalked and harassed. At least, not to a degree beyond what faces critics in other industries; film, art, music, whatever.

I also think it's unlikely an SA TG award for the best TGs would have any impact or recognition beyond the boundaries of this forum. This is a paywalled forum of an obscure website with what, 50 to 100 active users? We're very very small potatoes. For the same reason, though, I think that could make it fairly fun, easy to do, and harmless. If TG wants to make a list of the best games each year, that's helpful to other TG posters looking for a list of the best games, right? I mean, I already just go to BGG and filter for top games or whatever, but folks do ask in various threads "hey what'd be a good game for x, y, and z" and get mostly useful answers, so there's a solid base of knowledge here that could be put to use.

It's also fun to vote on stuff.

Just, let's not pretend like anyone else will care, and as long as we avoid it becoming grogs.txt, helldump, or be about the one specific serial stalker in the TG industry we all know about, I don't think there's any appreciable personal risk to involved parties.

Going through all the source stuff, this seems highly disingenuous: Zak didn't follow anyone to their house, he didn't track down secret information- he didn't even ask anyone to do that- he just read what goons were saying, then criticised and linked to it. How are you qualifying "stalking?" If you can qualify that as stalking, does the gossip SA throws around about Zak and Luke Crane and Monte Cook count as "stalking?" If you're going to counter with, "Well, it resulted in death threats!" do note Zak and Mandy received death threats, as well, as a result of the actions of goons.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

FromTheStars-Dust posted:

Going through all the source stuff, this seems highly disingenuous: Zak didn't follow anyone to their house, he didn't track down secret information- he didn't even ask anyone to do that- he just read what goons were saying, then criticised and linked to it. How are you qualifying "stalking?" If you can qualify that as stalking, does the gossip SA throws around about Zak and Luke Crane and Monte Cook count as "stalking?" If you're going to counter with, "Well, it resulted in death threats!" do note Zak and Mandy received death threats, as well, as a result of the actions of goons.

Oh aren't you precious.

some FUCKING LIAR
Sep 19, 2002

Fallen Rib

Is the trap sprung? If I set out a three-part, conditional definition of "stalking," will you agree that I get to decide who meets that definition? Are douchebags constitutionally incapable of refraining from cross-examining people they disagree with online?

Motherfucker posts things on G+ like "get at [some guy]" and when pressed clarifies it by telling his posse to sealion that guy. He runs stalking blogs.

E: Your regdate is 9/19/16? You loving registered to post this? FOH

some FUCKING LIAR fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Sep 24, 2016

Serf
May 5, 2011

Regged on the 19th lmao. Well, you made it as long as you could, didn't you?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Oh hello, brand new poster with one post. I'm sure you're not Zak S, or Mandy, or one of their stalwart defenders. I'm sure you're just a new member of SA, who just happened to wander into this thread of the many threads you read, and this particular conversation happened to pique your interest.

Because you definitely aren't a stalker so utterly obsessed with any conversation anywhere on earth that involves you (or your cult leader) that you simply cannot help but interject, take down the names and identities of everyone involved, recorded for posterity so you can follow them around to make sure both they and anyone they ever talk to in any context knows how much you (or your cult leader) has been wronged by their terrible accusations.

Hi, my name is Leperflesh and I don't care about you at all, have no opinion of your work or products, and am just trying to chat with goons about the idea of making a TG award thread and how it doesn't need to be about you in any way, so you can :getout:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

:frogout:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
There's no way it's Zak S because they're capable of actually typing a whole sentence in English instead of broken-robot-ese.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

We do know that Zak and Mandy were harassed. We also know that Mikan was completely driven out of the hobby. So, uhh, since you're close to Zak, urge him to ease up on the internet arguing, and take that energy to law school or something.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Hi Zak.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Well I guess both sides are equally bad and the truth is in the middle!

We should probably move further discussion to the private G+ page we use to coordinate our harassment campaigns. We totally also have one of those, right?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Once again I'd just like to mention that Mandy Morbid called me out by name (among other people) as a "harasser" on her weird conspiracy blog post despite my never having once interacted with her and only ever interacting with Zak as a forum moderator. It seems pretty weird for people so touchy about being labeled as harassers themselves to try naming and shaming a bunch of folks with nothing more substantial behind it than "well they made fun of me on the internet once" but there you go.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Complaining about Monte Cook's qualities as a game designer by quoting his press releases and books he's written in threads related to game design? Stalking.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Don't touch the poop.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Kinda looks like the poop is the party doing the touching.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Zurui posted:

Don't touch the poop.
But the poop is touching us!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

LatwPIAT posted:

Complaining about Monte Cook's qualities as a game designer by quoting his press releases and books he's written in threads related to game design? Stalking.

If someone does something that makes you upset with them, you can do anything you want to them and all you're doing is doing the same thing as they did.

Literally the attitude of a small child. He was being really really really annoying so it was reasonable for me to punch him back.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Lemon-Lime posted:

There's no way it's Zak S because they're capable of actually typing a whole sentence in English instead of broken-robot-ese.

zak also already has some other lurker account he uses to monitor and screencap SA threads he thinks will talk about him. so its either not him or he spent :10bux: to make another alt to post some sadly transparent attempt to keep the thread talking about him again.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Why yes you're right Zak's actions in stalking are really weak and pathetic. He's the Digital Homicide of the traditional games world.Every time he does something immensely pathetic people will naturally point it out and if he tries to hurt someone while being that pathetic people will get upset. Just like how people will definately say more things Digitial Homicide considers "slander" whenever it brings up another frivolous lawsuit, people will say things that Zak considers "harassment" whenever he is an aggressively sad manchild.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
I've prepared a draft of the rules for our award, the Groggies: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1iT-aqE36_CblnG4u8AJNuSFBq9-DMTD-o-Y9h-sBqmU/edit?usp=sharing

The actual nomination and voting would most likely be handled via a webapp I will write. We'll make sure only goons participate by the webapp giving you a code (such as "01c438d548194d40b0a043efcac6cebe") which you will have to post in a thread here to validate your ballot.

To pre-empt some :goonsay: questions I anticipate:

"How will you keep some idiot from nominating not-good games or works with no art in the Best Art category, etc etc"

Well, sir/madam goon, we won't. Instead we will trust that if enough people nominate a game, it is probably worth listing as a finalist, and if enough people vote for it to win, it probably deserved to win.

"John Smith has published a game which is offensive to all right-thinking people. How will you exclude it from the awards?"

We will trust that goon discussion will be sufficient to keep this game from being nominated and winning.

"What if John Smith organizes his fans to register and nominate his game?"

We trust that Lowtax will enjoy his :10bux: and that the mods will do their duty.

"What about card games, board games, Mafia, ping pong, or cup-and-ball?"

I don't know/care enough about those, but if you want to start your own award I will be happy to affiliate with you.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

inklesspen posted:

"What about card games, board games, Mafia, ping pong, or cup-and-ball?"

I don't know/care enough about those, but if you want to start your own award I will be happy to affiliate with you.

Let me be the first to heap abuse upon you:

That is a bunch of crap.

Trad Games on SA is for trad games, and a Trad Games game award should absolutely include categories for all of the kinds of games played in Trad Games. In particular you've apparently not accounted for (or are including in all categories) the difference between tabletop boardgames and pen-and-paper RPGs.

I think there's definitely room (and at least dozens if not hundreds of goons interested in) categories for board games, card games, miniatures-based wargames, and party games.

Sports can be excluded since they're clearly not within TG's domain, and I don't know how you'd give awards for new Mafia games since Mafia isn't new.

In any case, "start your own award" is horseshit, this is a TG award and it's cool that you're stepping up to try and run them but if your attitude is "my ball, my game, like it or go elsewhere" I predict you are not going to get much traction.

Anyway. I hope you have enjoyed your inagural heaping of criticism bordering on abuse as a reward for bothering to try. It's the trad games traditional way!

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

In the best game category, there are two prizes, best game and best licensed game. Is giving an award for best licensed game, essentially giving licensed games two chances for a prize rather than one, while an original game only has the one category it can win in? Should there be a best original game category? Aren't these categories at least 50% likely to overlap, or are we not considering licensed games in the best game category?

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord

Leperflesh posted:

I think there's definitely room (and at least dozens if not hundreds of goons interested in) categories for board games, card games, miniatures-based wargames, and party games.

Sure! I'm just not interested in running awards for these, nor do I know anything about them. You're free to use my proposed rules or other rules and run them.

remusclaw posted:

In the best game category, there are two prizes, best game and best licensed game. Is giving an award for best licensed game, essentially giving licensed games two chances for a prize rather than one, while an original game only has the one category it can win in? Should there be a best original game category? Aren't these categories at least 50% likely to overlap, or are we not considering licensed games in the best game category?

Good question; maybe there should be a Best Original Game. It's possible that, say, the Buckaroo Banzai game (if it ever comes out) could win Best Licensed Game and Best Game, but I think it's not likely, and I want a way to see people's opinions about good licensed games.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
- A blanket exclusion of board games, card games, and war games is also a dumb idea given that they make up at least 2/3 of the traffic to this forum.

- The "Groggies" is not only a loving dumb name, it will trigger resentment from the gaming community. As much as grogs.txt was a thing, no one likes being called a grognard.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
Ok, who wants to handle the board/war/card games wing of the Groggies?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Gau posted:

- A blanket exclusion of board games, card games, and war games is also a dumb idea given that they make up at least 2/3 of the traffic to this forum.

- The "Groggies" is not only a loving dumb name, it will trigger resentment from the gaming community. As much as grogs.txt was a thing, no one likes being called a grognard.

I'm actually agreeing with Gau, mark your calendars people.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I think leaving it to a popular vote is a bad idea. (S)elect 5/7/9 judges and have them decide the winners.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Buglord
I originally named them "The Grenadies". A person of note suggested "The Groggies", which was not worse, so I went with that. You don't like it? Suggest something better please.

If it's to include board games and such, we need categories for those games. You want non-RPGs in the award? Step up and list the categories.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Gau posted:

It truly is Something Awful.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.
I also have no suggestions and just showed up to complain about what you did

rarrrrr

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

Gau posted:

Everything triggers resentment from the game community; look at the initial and weirdly hostile response to an award thing in the space of an hour.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
Traditional games award for excellence. Or the TeeGees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I mean, sure, I can suggest those categories, but you seem to have indicated you are gonna run with RPGs only regardless, so you're what, unilaterally balkanizing the just-concieved SA TG award space from the get-go?

Or are you open to being part of (not necessarily self-appointed dictator of) a group effort?

I do appreciate you taking the initiative, mind you... but this is not an auspicious start.

e. also I intended my weird hostility to be satire of the tg community but I probably wildly failed at that, especially since my criticism itself was serious.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Sep 25, 2016

• Locked thread