Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

ufarn posted:

is that the one without touchid?

correct. i do not have touch id on the ipad i use as my pos in the taco truck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

correct. i do not have touch id on the ipad i use as my pos in the taco truck.
yeah, that's why. i don't like touchid, in part because you have to unlock the phone each time the display turns off. it's also not great security, so i'll just go with the passcode

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
how is it not great security.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

the thing that sucks about touchid is that its only as secure as your passcode because you can't disable passcode unlock
and also that thing where if u turn yyour phone off and have to put in your passcode the first time, that sucks too

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007
ol' tomb cock can't resist trolling Patel http://www.theverge.com/2016/9/23/13036012/a-note-from-the-editor-in-chief-about-chris-ziegler

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Ludwig van Halen posted:

the thing that sucks about touchid is that its only as secure as your passcode because you can't disable passcode unlock
and also that thing where if u turn yyour phone off and have to put in your passcode the first time, that sucks too

you can out in an alphanumeric password of any length you want if you are concerned about password security. the iPhone is pretty resistant to password brute-forcing, even for 4 digit alphanumeric.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

The Management posted:

sometimes poo poo happens and an installer fails and you have to recover from backup. but a sync wiping out all of your files is pure bullshit. expecting you to get them from backup is not acceptable.

apple is the only company brave enough to destroy your files when you sync them

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mad Wack posted:

you can shut it off somewhere... i think its under accessibility

passcode actually i think :/

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
why would you buy an ipad mini 2

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

you're holding it wrong

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

Mad Wack posted:

For poors and also some banks give them out here when you sign up for a chequing account

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Endless Mike posted:

you're holding it wrong

Aaaah, saying "Siri" first confuses it.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

why are people getting confused on how to unlock their phones, its the same as it has always been -- click the button with your finger, don't remove finger until you see the active app or home screen

have people been clicking the button, swiping to the passcode screen, and then scanning their fingerprint or something dumb like that?

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Mr. Nice! posted:

i hate this stupid loving press home to unlock on my iPad mini. I'm constantly swiping to a slow and laggy widget screen that I'd rather not have at all on the old device.

Settings->TouchID & Passcode (maybe just Passcode if you don't have TouchID)

Scroll down.

Turn off everything under "Allow Access When Locked" except notifications. (or just turn off Today View to get rid of the widgets)

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Sep 24, 2016

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

The Management posted:

sometimes poo poo happens and an installer fails and you have to recover from backup. but a sync wiping out all of your files is pure bullshit. expecting you to get them from backup is not acceptable.

corn in the bible posted:

apple is the only company brave enough to destroy your files when you sync them

If you read the article, it didn't actually wipe out anything. None of his files were deleted.

It put his existing desktop files in a folder called "Desktop-[name of computer]". And since it apparently put that folder on his desktop, he would've noticed it if he hadn't had shitloads of files and folders from his work computer's desktop put on his home desktop.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Mad Wack posted:

i bought one with a cell antenna in it like 2 and a half years ago because it runs squares register app wonderfully and allows me to take credit cards anywhere with a robust interface. it still works wonderfully and ios 10 is a big upgrade all around except that stupid laggy loving widget screen that i can't get rid of.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
read my last couple posts, you can get rid of it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Doc Block posted:

read my last couple posts, you can get rid of it.

i don't use a passcode on my register. those options are greyed out without a pass code. turning a passcode on, I can turn them off, but they're only off if i leave the passcode on. as soon as I turn off the passcode, they're back even if the settings are still toggled to off.

this isn't a personal device and has nothing on it that needs to be secured with a passcode and that's an extra step in getting to my register.

also there is no "touch id & passcode" in settings on my ipad mini 2 because it doesn't have touchid. its just passcode settings.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
my needs are hella suited by the iPhone 7 Plus

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

uncurable mlady posted:

i know you've had it forever but i still love your name and avatar. they're really good.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

i don't use a passcode on my register. those options are greyed out without a pass code. turning a passcode on, I can turn them off, but they're only off if i leave the passcode on. as soon as I turn off the passcode, they're back even if the settings are still toggled to off.

this isn't a personal device and has nothing on it that needs to be secured with a passcode and that's an extra step in getting to my register.

also there is no "touch id & passcode" in settings on my ipad mini 2 because it doesn't have touchid. its just passcode settings.

set the passcode to 0000 and put that information on a post it under the device

if it's good enough for our nation's nukes it's good enough for your cash register

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
it'd be a good idea to have a passcode, if for no other reason than to keep randos from messing with it, and keep thieves out of Square Register if it gets stolen.

you could also just remove the widgets from the Today view. that way when you accidentally swipe you'll just have a blank Today view instead of having to wait for the widgets to load.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
i actually couldn't find where to go to remove those things in settings but deleted them all once i figured it out. that should help with the lag. it was the news widget causing most of the lag because it was using cellular data to try to load like 4-5 headlines every time i swiped left.

i would still rather it unlocked when i swipped because there's still a few seconds of lag before it will detect any press on one of the siri app recommendations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
also no one is stealing my ipad unless they break into my truck or house and im insured against both of those possibilites. very few people that use them as square head units use a passcode because it's a delay before getting to actual work.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
and if someone attempted a snatch and grab at the bar i work most of the time there is a cop right there, security at the bar and I are friends and they would probably stop someone before they got away, and i can lock the device out of the app via square without any issues.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

uncurable mlady posted:

yeah it's awesome

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

yeah it's awesome

my friend might be getting one, but i can't justify switching from my 6s+ because its loving amazing with ios 10.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

lol at not protecting a point of sale device with a passcode. even old as poo poo POS devices have that

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Last Chance posted:

lol at not protecting a point of sale device with a passcode. even old as poo poo POS devices have that

those are to differentiate users and for tracking tickets, none of which i do. when i was paying other people to work, i absolutely had everything locked down and was tracking everything. since its 99% of the time just me now there's no point to differentiating. im not running a high volume operation.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

then plug in your dumb ipad, turn off all the auto-lock/power save settings and leave the square app running, if the screen never locks there's no problem

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

i mean seriously my 81 year old dad can navigate the new lock screen without issue

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

not that im saying its good, it is in fact, bad

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
folks are missing the upside here: somebody found a use case for the ipad mini

it's unfortunate that it was destroyed by ios 10, but until then it had that use case

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

uncurable mlady posted:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Mad Wack posted:

i mean seriously my 81 year old dad can navigate the new lock screen without issue

It's not that it's difficult. It's slow.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol at giving a poo poo

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Mr. Nice! posted:

my friend might be getting one, but i can't justify switching from my 6s+ because its loving amazing with ios 10.

it's really good, but you may not feel it's a tremendous jump as from the 6S+. namaste

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Endless Mike posted:

you're holding it wrong

lol u live in joppa hahahahahaah

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
you can turn off the siri app recommendations and all that poo poo too