Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
I'm pretty sure I found moon pool bits at the wreck at the very tip of the grand reef. It's technically below 200m, but that's actually not too much of a hassle if you wear a rebreather, build a single room base as close as possible (the power transmitter things are your friend for getting solar power to bases deeper than 200m) and carry a few air tanks in your inventory.

It took me forever to figure out that just having extra air tanks in your inventory lengthens your air time. Since then I haven't really had too many problems with running out of air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Okan170 posted:

Is that a new glass roof section or has that always been there?
It's an observatory.

Pikey
Dec 25, 2004

Met posted:

Have you tried checking wrecks around the mountain? You might also get lucky around the Dunes, Blood Kelp Zone, and Grand Reef but I'm pretty sure you want to be around the mountain.

Watch out for the Reapers.

By mountain you mean the mountain island? Not the floating one

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Yes

Pikey
Dec 25, 2004

ImpactVector posted:

It took me forever to figure out that just having extra air tanks in your inventory lengthens your air time. Since then I haven't really had too many problems with running out of air.

:aaaaa:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Met posted:

Have you tried checking wrecks around the mountain? You might also get lucky around the Dunes, Blood Kelp Zone, and Grand Reef but I'm pretty sure you want to be around the mountain.

Watch out for the Reapers.

The mountain wreck is below 400m, so that's a bad idea. He wants the Grand Reed (250m) for the moonpool and the western Blood Kelp (332m) for the modification station.

There's also a pressure compensator module that can be picked up in the Seamoth room in the Aurora, which will make things much easier.

Orv
May 4, 2011
So what's the deal with this game now? Last time I (significantly) messed with it was I think before base building, and it was cool but there wasn't a ton to do except see cool sea poo poo. From reading the last couple pages it sounds like there's now an intended progression track? Could somebody cliff notes that for me?

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

These poles made from wood, and the crossarms from iron.
Crash in the safe shallows
-> Grab stuff lying on the floor
-> Build some basic stuff
-> Go to Aurora or go to wrecks in deeper biomes
-> Get Seamoth (mini sub)
-> Use Seamoth to get multi-purpose room and explore wrecks in deeper biomes
-> Build base, build tech, build big submarine, build exo-suit
-> Go to really deep places

Orv
May 4, 2011
Perfect, thanks.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
You can now scan Reapers. :krakken:

Pikey
Dec 25, 2004

Paracelsus posted:

The mountain wreck is below 400m, so that's a bad idea. He wants the Grand Reed (250m) for the moonpool and the western Blood Kelp (332m) for the modification station.

There's also a pressure compensator module that can be picked up in the Seamoth room in the Aurora, which will make things much easier.

I just loaded up on airtanks and the seaglide and roughed it in the mountain wreck, pretty much picked up everything I was lacking except for 1 more prawn part. Just built the cyclops and now have to gather everything else for my moonpool and evil base

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

ImpactVector posted:

I'm pretty sure I found moon pool bits at the wreck at the very tip of the grand reef. It's technically below 200m, but that's actually not too much of a hassle if you wear a rebreather, build a single room base as close as possible (the power transmitter things are your friend for getting solar power to bases deeper than 200m) and carry a few air tanks in your inventory.

What I do is immediately after I make the seamoth, I head with it to grand reef, park it at 195m and then use it to recharge my air while getting the moonpool fragments.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I almost always just swim my slow rear end over to the Floater Island to scan up on the multipurpose room and growing plots. Snag a tater and a lantern fruit for later growing and snatch up all the lithium I can for reinforcing later :v:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Keep in mind though extra air tanks slow you down as well, so it's a trade off. Go with one extra tank at first, anything more and you really start to crawl. Once you have transport available, you can add more tanks since you won't be swimming your rear end around manually most of the time.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost
This was also my reaction, so you're not alone.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Keep in mind though extra air tanks slow you down as well, so it's a trade off. Go with one extra tank at first, anything more and you really start to crawl. Once you have transport available, you can add more tanks since you won't be swimming your rear end around manually most of the time.
This is true. I think I loaded up on 2 more when doing the aforementioned wreck, but I already had the seamoth and the mini base (which I liked because it was like 40m closer to the wreck entrance than you can get the seamoth, and it only takes like 10 titanium and a few quartz, plus you can put a locker in it).

I usually leave the air tanks in a locker in the Cyclops now unless I know I'm going wreck diving. And once you get the upgrade station you can make them lighter and make your main tank high-capacity. At least that's the route I went.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Have I been missing something, or is there an in-game way to see which biome you're in?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
The scenery. All the zones are pretty much named after their most prominent visible feature

Except the reefs.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Evil Mastermind posted:

Have I been missing something, or is there an in-game way to see which biome you're in?

Press f1.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

As Bloody Hedgehog said, they also slow down your swim speed though, so watch out. What they do not slow down, however, is the Seaglide, so it might be worth using that for covering any serious distances.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Did they do something to fragments in last patch? I found exactly 1 fragment in safe shallows

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

Sekenr posted:

Did they do something to fragments in last patch? I found exactly 1 fragment in safe shallows
They added graphics to a lot of the fragments so they don't just look like grey boxes anymore. I've been finding it a lot harder to spot them.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I believe the Devs have also said that they plan to move most (all?) of the fragments inside wrecks eventually.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
Kind of weird but it feels like my game only half-updated.

It says I'm on the September build but I can't make the reinforced dive suit. I see that I need that new ore to craft upgrades to my PRAWN suit but can't actually find any of the harvestable nodes in the Lava areas. The Tree Cove also looks almost the same as a streamer's I was watching, except there aren't any rays swimming around.

Anyone else experience these types of things? I verified the integrity of my game and everything seems fine so I don't know what the deal is!

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Away all Goats posted:

I believe the Devs have also said that they plan to move most (all?) of the fragments inside wrecks eventually.

They're mostly there already. You can find seaglide and solar panel fragments around the shallows for obvious gameplay reasons, and power cell charger and water filtration machine fragments in the sparse reef, presumably so you actually have a reason to go to the sparse reef. Aside from a few battery charger fragments around wrecks in the grassy plateaus, everything else is inside wrecks.

I kinda miss the old loot distribution systems a bit, because right now you can ignore most of the map at any given time. You used to actually scour the seafloor looking for fragments, and when the grassy plateaus had sandstone rather than all of it being found in kelp forest caves you had an actual reason to search the bloodgrass. Now it's just a place you pass through once you've visited the two wrecks marked by lifepod signals. You can ignore either the underwater islands or the koosh zone completely, or even both if you don't care about the stasis rifle, and there's no reason to go to the Dunes ever. If they had fragments both in the wrecks and scattered throughout the surrounding biome, increased the number of fragments to complete the blueprints, and had crates with more advanced materials like computer chips or enameled glass in and near the wrecks, I think that would both encourage people to poke around the biomes more and take away some of the grinding for materials.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Paracelsus posted:

They're mostly there already. You can find seaglide and solar panel fragments around the shallows for obvious gameplay reasons, and power cell charger and water filtration machine fragments in the sparse reef, presumably so you actually have a reason to go to the sparse reef. Aside from a few battery charger fragments around wrecks in the grassy plateaus, everything else is inside wrecks.

I kinda miss the old loot distribution systems a bit, because right now you can ignore most of the map at any given time. You used to actually scour the seafloor looking for fragments, and when the grassy plateaus had sandstone rather than all of it being found in kelp forest caves you had an actual reason to search the bloodgrass. Now it's just a place you pass through once you've visited the two wrecks marked by lifepod signals. You can ignore either the underwater islands or the koosh zone completely, or even both if you don't care about the stasis rifle, and there's no reason to go to the Dunes ever. If they had fragments both in the wrecks and scattered throughout the surrounding biome, increased the number of fragments to complete the blueprints, and had crates with more advanced materials like computer chips or enameled glass in and near the wrecks, I think that would both encourage people to poke around the biomes more and take away some of the grinding for materials.

Considering the Warper's immunity to the stasis rifle, I got even less reason to give a poo poo about the thing over physics guns (Fuckin droop stingers) as usual when I get back to this more actively :v: "Here, have cooler vehicles and options! But, we gotta make sure you're still artificially hosed over to give the impression of risk." Plus that thing I saw above about power draining worms screwing with your Cyclops, even if you drop everything to get out and pull em off :sigh:

Hardest part of the new fragments placement sounds like having to wait until you have a diamond so you are allowed to craft a laser cutter, for the more sealed up wrecks. Since wreck based progression means you can travel at sea level until you reach the proper coordinates.

And since foreknowledge and prior experience has been made even more significant than before for teching up, the faux hardcore pubbies of course will probably demand the game be made worse to make up for "I can unlock everything in a half hour (because I know where everything is)".

Section Z fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Sep 24, 2016

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Maybe they could make an upgrade module for our vehicles that polarizes the hull or some other :techno: that prevents the electro-vampire worms from attaching to the hull.

I want more variety of upgrades modules, even if its already hard to decide on a loadout sometimes.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Maybe they could make an upgrade module for our vehicles that polarizes the hull or some other :techno: that prevents the electro-vampire worms from attaching to the hull.

I want more variety of upgrades modules, even if its already hard to decide on a loadout sometimes.

I still wish Depth upgrades had it's own extra slot. Because really, depth upgrades are a requirement, not a choice. So effectively you have one less upgrade slot than advertised.

At least the exo suit has it's own default inventory, apparently. Even if it's an awkward 6x2 you can't fit a seaglide in, that reminds me of the Cyclops wall lockers I just build real lockers in front of.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Sep 25, 2016

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Vasler posted:

Kind of weird but it feels like my game only half-updated.

It says I'm on the September build but I can't make the reinforced dive suit. I see that I need that new ore to craft upgrades to my PRAWN suit but can't actually find any of the harvestable nodes in the Lava areas. The Tree Cove also looks almost the same as a streamer's I was watching, except there aren't any rays swimming around.

Anyone else experience these types of things? I verified the integrity of my game and everything seems fine so I don't know what the deal is!

Are you in experimental? Sometimes areas don't update and wildlife won't appear. I have the same problem in my save, the ALZ had no creatures in it and thus no Sea Dragon. I was building a base down there right when the update hit, that might be the reason for the bug.

I've also had all predators, including reapers, go silent in a previous save, so you never know what will happen in experimental.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
One thing I really wish they'd let you do is open the PDA inside the seamoth and prawn, because clearly you need to get out of your air bubble and back into the hundreds-of-meters-deep water in order to eat, drink, or use medkits.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?

Dyz posted:

Are you in experimental? Sometimes areas don't update and wildlife won't appear. I have the same problem in my save, the ALZ had no creatures in it and thus no Sea Dragon. I was building a base down there right when the update hit, that might be the reason for the bug.

I've also had all predators, including reapers, go silent in a previous save, so you never know what will happen in experimental.

The strangest thing is that I'm not in experimental! I opted in to experimental and then opted out so we'll see what happens. Despite not being in experimental I seem to be encountering the same situations as you. Very strange.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Paracelsus posted:

Well, thats the thing. I can't find any fragments in or around the shallows.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I just started a new game, i am not sure who thought it would be a good idea for the gasopods to make those creepy sounds all the time.
How do you get into the Aurora now? The door that you could get in through before is blocked.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Oasx posted:

I just started a new game, i am not sure who thought it would be a good idea for the gasopods to make those creepy sounds all the time.
How do you get into the Aurora now? The door that you could get in through before is blocked.

The bow of the ship has been blown open and now ramps into the sea. If you know to go to the front it's much easier to find than the old submerged cave.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.
Been playing this game for a few weeks and I really enjoy it. I've refrained from checking the wiki unless I get stuck, and exploring and constantly finding new things has been a blast.

Finally built the Cyclops last night and man, I knew it would be big, but I didn't know it would be THAT big! I had already taken it for a spin before discovering the external cameras, and the ability to dock the PRAWN in it seems like it's going to be indispensable (although maneuvering it into the holding pen can be a bit tricky).

Only question: is there a toggle for the visual "blips" that your life pod/vehicles/beacons produce? Can those be turned off at all? It's good to know where my stuff is but it can ruin the view when you have this cluster of icons flickering at you constantly.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
It is pretty annoying that every single biome has bonesharks now, especially since most blueprints are in wrecks now.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
I restarted for my third playthrough now having started the last one in May and getting maybe 25 hours in and building a palace loaded with every mineral imaginable. The new progression system works well I think. Originally, your primary goal was the Aurora and now that is maybe your 5th or 6th priority. I like that they soft ball you with the lifepods at the start. Although the fact that the parts look like wreckage is annoying to someone used to it from before. Once thing I am not crazy on is the amount of Reapers around the Aurora. Sure, it was hairy going there the first few times and they get distracted by the other life forms. But I find it kinda takes the novelty out of them. I think they should leave them in. But add some other really poo poo scary predator for those times they really want to freak us out.

I encountered a Warper and I am sure there is a plan for them, but I did not find it particularly hard. The teleporting outside the vehicle is neat. But they need to implement it better. They also follow you a pretty decent distance so that is kinda cool. The Sandsharks seem to be crazy aggressive and It kinda annoys me because I liked having a predator creature that was kinda ineffectual unless you were asleep at the wheel. I am not crazy about the spawning of so many Bonesharks in an area. It just makes it impossible to get out without fighting them, which I never, ever did.

I think 90% of my peeves are about changes to things I am used to so there is that. I do think the game is getting more polished and balanced and am very happy they are ditching multi player. One thing I really hope is that they develop the story well. The fluff text is a lot of fun and it's a cool premise.

I just got the fookin' PRAWN parts after building my Seamoth and Cyclops and can't wait to rodeo some reefbacks. One thing that still kinda bugs me is the lack of an official map or directional system. I really like a lot of the workarounds and surfacing every once in a while to get your bearings off the Aurora is cool. But I found after I built my compass I needed to surface less. Hitting F1 to get that info is alright. (I only found out recently about that) But a subtle implementation in the game would be great. I am not taking a full on map and nav marker system. But maybe meet somewhere in the middle. Having the lifeboat and other beacons are great. But a colour coded system of toggleable nav beacons you can place would be better. You still need to do the leg work. But you are not cluttering up the UI.

Lonos Oboe fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Oct 2, 2016

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
There’s too many sandsharks and they're too aggressive. I tried to site a base in the grassy plateaus and I couldn't go near the seabed without one of the bastards popping up and having a go at me. I'd look out from the kelp forests and there'd be 5 of them wheeling about anywhere I looked.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Yeah I have to agree, the sandsharks are way too numerous at the moment, and make going anywhere near the seabed rather troublesome, especially early on when the seabed is constantly <30 feet away.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
The transfuser is back on the roadmap for November.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
I just started playing this and am really enjoying the game. If I had any complaints it would be the lack of storage during the early stage of the game, and the deployable waterproof locker you can make doesn't really help.

I'd also like to see some mechanism for things like sleeping to give me excuse to build a bedroom in my spaceunderwater base.