Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Garrus' game should obviously be like Sniper Elite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

The MSJ posted:

Garrus' game should obviously be like Sniper Elite.

Complete the game from one spot with a Javelin and all the penetration mods/ drill ammo you can stack.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

tribbledirigible posted:

Complete the game from one spot with a Krysae and all the explosive/burn ammo you can stack.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Randarkman posted:

ME1's gameplay has aged really bad so I just casualled through that as a soldier almost literally just holding down the left-mouse button and massacring all opposition.

If you played it properly on a real difficulty you would have had fun.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

SgtSteel91 posted:

I hope we'll be able to customize both brother and sister Ryder

Perhaps we will never see the unplayed sibling taking of their helmet?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

sassassin posted:

If you played it properly on a real difficulty you would have had fun.

Dude the gameplay feels like a tech demo at this point

It is old and busted

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Prequel to Andromeda looking good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BWWWQzTpNU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Torrannor posted:

Perhaps we will never see the unplayed sibling taking of their helmet?

In Fallout 4 they let you customize the main character and his wife, so I'm sure Mass Effect will let you do both siblings.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

2house2fly posted:

I'm sure Mass Effect will let you do both siblings.

are we not doing phrasing anymore

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Psion posted:

are we not doing phrasing anymore

Just spell out the alphabet.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Replaying Mass Effect 2 because it's been a while, and hey, it's still a great game, but Jack's recruitment mission felt really off now that I'm playing through with fresher eyes. Did anyone else find it weird that nobody calls Shepard out on starting a prison riot that presumably ended up killing all 4,500 prisoners and god knows how many guards in order to get Jack out? The whole mission was almost surreal, what with fighting your way through waves of mercs with the prison PA system providing a running commentary of how many cell blocks were losing life support, all because you decided it was worth it to press the button that (for some reason) opened every cell on the ship, just so you could retrieve this one (apparently dangerously unstable) stranger.

Basically, the whole thing felt very sloppily written, like they started with the idea of a jailbreak level during a prison riot in an ultra-secure Space Prison without really thinking through the ramifications of what you're made to do. Either that or you're not meant to care about what happens because everyone who dies is either a merc or a criminal, which is a pretty horrifying in its own right.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Gato posted:

you're not meant to care about what happens because everyone who dies is either a merc or a criminal

It's this one. I know because it is extremely common in this, and every other video game.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Gato posted:

Replaying Mass Effect 2 because it's been a while, and hey, it's still a great game, but Jack's recruitment mission felt really off now that I'm playing through with fresher eyes. Did anyone else find it weird that nobody calls Shepard out on starting a prison riot that presumably ended up killing all 4,500 prisoners and god knows how many guards in order to get Jack out? The whole mission was almost surreal, what with fighting your way through waves of mercs with the prison PA system providing a running commentary of how many cell blocks were losing life support, all because you decided it was worth it to press the button that (for some reason) opened every cell on the ship, just so you could retrieve this one (apparently dangerously unstable) stranger.

Basically, the whole thing felt very sloppily written, like they started with the idea of a jailbreak level during a prison riot in an ultra-secure Space Prison without really thinking through the ramifications of what you're made to do. Either that or you're not meant to care about what happens because everyone who dies is either a merc or a criminal, which is a pretty horrifying in its own right.

Did you forget that the guards/warden are torturing the inmates and oh yeah, they also try to blackmail and kill Shepard and the team?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
The whole thing is an extortion racket. If planets don't pay the fee, then they release the prisoners (or at least the ones from that world) at an undisclosed place and time.

It was not the optimal situation, but after the warden tried to turn on Shepard, there weren't very many better choices that presented themselves.

Plus, Shepard needed to build his team.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Gato posted:

So after the warden tries to kill you, what truly paragon options are available? You're killing/dooming an awful lot of people no matter what if you want to survive. Might as well get Jack on the way out, since the best spy in the galaxy thinks she can help save yoomanity

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Pander posted:

So after the warden tries to kill you, what truly paragon options are available? You're killing/dooming an awful lot of people no matter what if you want to survive. Might as well get Jack on the way out, since the best spy in the galaxy thinks she can help save yoomanity

The game does tell you that the guards are sadistic mercenary slavers and the prisoners are the worst of the worst scum, so the deaths are a net gain for morality.

It could probably have been done better, though.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Except Jack was also in that prison. How many of those prisoners had more complicated stories than just "they're scum"?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
At least the other prisoners put shirts on.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Pander posted:

Fight your way out through the mercs and at least stop to consider whether saving one maniac is worth killing thousands of people?

That's the thing, there is no Paragon option because there is no choice, not even a token non-choice, not even a hint of discussion, and that's my main objection to the mission as written. It would have been the perfect opportunity for a Bioware Moment (TM) - Shepard and crew arrive at the big red 'release everybody' button...

quote:

Miranda/Garrus/whoever: Shepard, if we press that button every cell on the ship will open. It'll be chaos, and these people have nowhere to go. Thousands will probably die.

Shepard: They're all scum anyway ---<(---)>--- It's the only way

I guess my main problem isn't whether or not you can justify causing the deaths of everyone on the station so much as the fact that nobody attempts to justify it in the first place. The riot is treated as some sort of natural disaster you happen to be fighting through rather than one you're directly responsible for. At one point you find a guard who's been shanked by a mob of prisoners and Garrus comments that ultimately he was protecting the galaxy from the worst of the worst and that he didn't deserve to die, without addressing the fact that his death was a direct consequence of your actions. (Though you'd probably have shot him on your way out anyway.) Honestly, if he'd just finished that line with 'hope this is worth it, Shepard', I probably wouldn't have minded.

Hedrigall posted:

Except Jack was also in that prison. How many of those prisoners had more complicated stories than just "they're scum"?

If you look at it another way, the only difference between confirmed kidnapper, pirate and mass murderer Jack and your average Purgatory inmate is that TIM thinks Jack will be useful. Which, I should stress, I don't mind, she's a good character, but I would have liked somebody to point it out.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Lycus posted:

At least the other prisoners put shirts on.

If they hadn't I might have tried to save them.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Huh, I thought they were all escaping because of the havoc Jack was causing on her way out. I'll have to go replay it all now.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Gato posted:

Jack's recruitment mission (and let's be honest everything about her until the third game when she's awesome) is basically all about Bioware's slightly cringey attempt to show that the series was adult and edgy and that this wasn't your grandpa's star trek anymore.

You might say it was... some sort of new poo poo

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
ME2 isn't as bad as ME3 in terms of the writing, but it's still not close to ME. I wonder if part of the reason Drew Karpyshn left during ME2 is because he didn't want to participate in the poo poo story they were trying to sell.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Funny you should say that considering everything karpyshin has written since mass effect one has been hot garbage. Turns out writing video games doesn't mean you can suddenly write novels.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Arcsquad12 posted:

Funny you should say that considering everything karpyshin has written since mass effect one has been hot garbage. Turns out writing video games doesn't mean you can suddenly write novels.

Hot garbage would be an improvement over ME2 and ME3, though.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

On the other hand "oh I am sorry if I did something awkward (again) I am not well versed in hu-man interaction you see I actually spend most of my time working on archaeological field teams" :liara:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Waltzing Along posted:

Hot garbage would be an improvement over ME2 and ME3, though.

ME1 wasn't that good though?

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
I think its a cliche to say Mass Effect 2 would be better without the collector subplot, so I won't. To me, the most dissapointing part of Mass Effect 3 is that it won't about exploring a new and interesting setting, it was being shuttled rapidly from "epic" encounter to "epic" encounter. Thematically, Andromeda seems more suited to capture the spirit of exploration and the more languid pace of the first game. I sincerely hope there won't be some galaxy ending threat like the Reapers or darkspawn, and that the story will focus on the tentative establishment of a new colony in a strange new part of space.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Basically, the plot and overall story of the Mass Effect games have been mediocre to poo poo. The reason people like the games is for the characters and the setting.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It's the space sex.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Waltzing Along posted:

It's the space sex.

Space Sweat.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Arcsquad12 posted:

Basically, the plot and overall story of the Mass Effect games have been mediocre to poo poo. The reason people like the games is for the characters and the setting.

Personally I cut it a lot of slack because the aliens don't begin with capital letters and aren't named after the planet they're from.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

2house2fly posted:

Personally I cut it a lot of slack because the aliens don't begin with capital letters and aren't named after the planet they're from.

True enough. I think another reason is because there just isn't another game series out there that is trying to create a science fiction game world similar to Mass Effect. Free roaming space opera RPG 3rd Person shooters are nonexistent outside of Mass Effect, so the series fills a niche that happens to be quite big. I would love to see some more games approach RPGs with the oldschool science fiction trappings Mass Effect 1 promoted, but they just don't exist.

Rampant Dwickery
Nov 12, 2011

Comfy and cozy.
Personally I'd love to have some salarian space noir like what Mordin teased in ME3. Dial down from galactic existential threats to a cosmic whodunnit story.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

prometheusbound2 posted:

I think its a cliche to say Mass Effect 2 would be better without the collector subplot, so I won't.

How is it a subplot?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Mass Effects universe has potential for all sorts of great stuff. If only they used it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

sassassin posted:

How is it a subplot?

What percentage of gameplay time is spent on collector stuff?

Never mind that compared to the stories in 1 and 3 the plot of 2 is practically irrelevant.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

What percentage of gameplay time is spent on collector stuff?

Never mind that compared to the stories in 1 and 3 the plot of 2 is practically irrelevant.

Isn't 1 irrelevant because of 3 as well? I mean what was even the point of that plot to bring the Reapers in with the Citadel relay or make a human reaper or whatever if the Reapers could just all activate and reach the galaxy in like a year or two anyway?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

It lets them shut down the relays and shoot everyone like fish in a barrel.

But I agree it was dumb having a backup relay, and worse because they didn't need that in th end either.

Or is the idea that the arrival relay was pulling them closer and was nearly done when we blew it up.

Strategic Tea fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Sep 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Randarkman posted:

Isn't 1 irrelevant because of 3 as well? I mean what was even the point of that plot to bring the Reapers in with the Citadel relay or make a human reaper or whatever if the Reapers could just all activate and reach the galaxy in like a year or two anyway?

I feel like this could've been fixed by simply making Arrival about a successful plan to jury-rig a relay instead of a failed plan to shorten the trip by a few months.

• Locked thread