Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

This is loving insanity. Why are you so close minded dude?

we did a thing, it didn't work. close minded is refusing to accept that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

BTW, yet to see literally one single example of how banning radio would actually improve racing, and not just add uncertainty. if you want to see racing that's artificially engineered to keep it close, watch NASCAR.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
F1 sucks now listen to my song

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
We have two conflicting things. Firstly, what's best for the actual pure racing and secondly what's interesting to watch on TV. The core product is there, the big problem is that while other sports were taking advantage of VHS, DVD, PPV and online steaming, the loving promoter of F1 has not given a poo poo about anything other than lining his own greedy little pockets and has taken advantage of exactly none of these things, and has not made a single penny for the sport off of any of them. Running a sport which is used as a future development tool like we are in the 1970s, has left us with a complicated mess that joe average can't understand and thinks has a unsporting pay structure , and with half baked rules and regulations which annoy the purists. What we need and now have is a group of media experts who also know how to run a sport. Thank loving god, if bernie had been in charge in 2020 no way any team would have signed for him. We would have got a better series rise out of the ashes but all that back catalogue would have become the property of mysterious middle eastern investors and lost to the world.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
A couple days ago you could watch an NFL game live on Twitter, a loving NFL game, the biggest sports league in the richest country in the world and you could watch a game for free on Twitter.

With F1 you can't even watch a 10 year old race online legally.

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

El Hefe posted:

A couple days ago you could watch an NFL game live on Twitter, a loving NFL game, the biggest sports league in the richest country in the world and you could watch a game for free on Twitter.

Is NFL that terrible that it can be broadcast in 128 characters or less?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Whitey Ford posted:

Is NFL that terrible that it can be broadcast in 128 characters or less?

Pretty much, cut out the commercials, commentary, and dudes standing around looking at eachother and your average football game will barely make a .gif

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
oh 150 posts, what happened is Bernie Retir.....

gently caress

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

thegasman2000 posted:

oh 150 posts, what happened is Bernie Retir.....

gently caress

Not so much retired as taken out back and shot. the tl:dr is that it turns out he was actually secretly doing nothing to earn his money and the Americans are laughing at us.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:

learnincurve posted:

Not so much retired as taken out back and shot. the tl:dr is that it turns out he was actually secretly doing nothing to earn his money and the Americans are laughing at us.

I was expecting a formal announcement that the tash yank had hosed him off early. No such luck.

To throw my 2 cents in I think one open channel would be amazing. Alonso telling Massa to chill baby and such.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
There was a Liberty media press conference where they didn't even give him the option of retiring with grace. They opened with saying Bernie would be working with Chase Carey on day to day running of the show, but that from now on Greg Maffei would be dealing with filming, all the media including TV deals, all the promotion, the tracks, the calendar, the teams, the FIA, working out the direction they want to go with in 2020....

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
For the record I don't think a radio ban is a good idea, but I don't think that one terribly thought out version of it closes the debate forever as you do, wicka.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Bernie is pretty much there to sign the next Concorde, he'll be out on the street after that.

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

Tsaedje posted:

For the record I don't think a radio ban is a good idea, but I don't think that one terribly thought out version of it closes the debate forever as you do, wicka.

F1 has a consistent track record of bad execution.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

El Hefe posted:

F1 sucks now listen to my song

Speaking of which, Are Lewis did an interview with Complex Magazine and said he gets cease and desist letters from F1 for posting videos at the track. He also has recorded 200+ songs.

http://www.complex.com/sports/2016/09/lewis-hamilton-i-dont-need-your-validation

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

I don't want to interrupt anyone's mental breakdown here, but for me the problem is that the guys driving the race cars aren't actually trying to drive the fastest.

I don't care if it takes radio, refueling, no pit stops allowed, mandated # of stops, spec chassis, whatever. Just make them go fast and push for the full race.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
You mean like when they made tires last the entire race? Because just like this thread, it was the worst.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Tsaedje posted:

but it does, because the only thing anyone is suggesting is a full ban, which would include literally all the real problems the partial ban had.

and again - ONE reason why banning radio would actually improve the racing? just one? anybody? this should even be a discussion. there's no reason to even suggest it other than nostalgia and a generic "let's do everything motogp does and ignore context" mentality.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsgEwOZ33YI

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
i have a feeling this all comes down to what people define as RACING.

SOME PEOPLE seem to think its some ultra pure thing that exists in the ether

I think of it as that thing I watch on a sunday night a few times a year

wicka posted:

and again - ONE reason why banning radio would actually improve the racing? just one? anybody?

Every single pitstop in Every single race by Every single driver, being decided by the driver and not the pitwall would improve what I think of as RACING

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

I think like many things, F1 has been ruined by my understanding of it. An understanding built up over however many years; nothing the rules makers can do will make it as awesome as it was when I didn't actually have a loving clue what was really going on.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
I leave you guys to your own devices for just one day.. ONE DAY! and just look what happens to the thread. As if it couldn't get any worse.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

wicka posted:

and again - ONE reason why banning radio would actually improve the racing? just one? anybody? this should even be a discussion. there's no reason to even suggest it other than nostalgia and a generic "let's do everything motogp does and ignore context" mentality.

The decision on how to perform race craft decided by the driver, and not a bench of computers. A formula which allows this.

This has been said a few times but you scream and say a partial ban for half a dozen races is 'proof' this would achieve nothing, when all communication that allowed the team to dictate strategy wasn't part of the ban.

There's stubborn, wicka, then there's whatever you're doing here.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

meh, changed my mind.

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Sep 25, 2016

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

CratSock posted:

I don't want to interrupt anyone's mental breakdown here, but for me the problem is that the guys driving the race cars aren't actually trying to drive the fastest.

I don't care if it takes radio, refueling, no pit stops allowed, mandated # of stops, spec chassis, whatever. Just make them go fast and push for the full race.

This is what every F1 fan wants but it's really not possible with how things are set up

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

HJB posted:

This is what every F1 fan wants but it's really not possible with how things are set up

Exactly, so why have we spent pages arguing about radio, which is maybe a minor contributory issue, if even that? Let's explore some of the other factors that actually matter for a little while. What else could be changed to fix things?

We know Bernie doesn't internet, but I bet Carey reads this thread.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
What we all want to see is close racing. It's all :words: until our new overlords share out the price pot fairly, so that all teams can afford to run things like separate set up crews and don't have to budget so much on the development. Does not matter one iota if they have 100- buttons or 3 and if we have full radio or no radio, if the mid field teams don't have the money needed to build the core car then they will stay mid field forever.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
for that you need refueling and noone wants that anymore for some reason

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Dubs posted:

for that you need refueling and noone wants that anymore for some reason

Actually they could do it by increasing the size of the tank slightly and making the bastards fill it all the way to the top. All this fuel saving bollocks comes from them filling the drat thing 3/4 full because less fuel = less weight = kinder on tyres AND FOR SUKS FAKE WHY ARE WE ALLOWING NERDY ENGINEERS WITH ADENOIDS AND CLIPBOARDS DICTATE THE PACE.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
lol sky bill just want from £112 a month to £22. + £34 for the now tv box and a month of sky sports.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Khablam posted:

The decision on how to perform race craft decided by the driver, and not a bench of computers. A formula which allows this.

This has been said a few times but you scream and say a partial ban for half a dozen races is 'proof' this would achieve nothing, when all communication that allowed the team to dictate strategy wasn't part of the ban.

There's stubborn, wicka, then there's whatever you're doing here.

by no stretch of the imagination is this an answer to the question i asked. WHY would this improve racing? what effect would it have?

quote:

i've answered this 14 loving times. we only banned a part of radio communication, and it sucked, and it unnecessarily punished drivers for things that are completely out of their control. banning ALL chatter still maintains this problem. read what i am saying and not just what you want to hear, gently caress.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Actually wicka, there's no proof about how a complete radio ban would be in F1.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

El Hefe posted:

hefe is right, btw. F1 is making money on almost name recognition alone, they've never struggled to sign bigger and better TV deals because companies are just like "oh poo poo it's F1," so they've never had to plan for the future that is rapidly becoming the present. so we can sit here and say F1 is struggling because ratings are down and attendances are down, but they're making more money than ever, and that's the only metric that matters to them. until one day their sky contract expires and suddenly no one wants to offer half of what they were getting before.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Actually wicka, there's no proof about how a complete radio ban would be in F1.

*sigh*

yes, there is. there unquestionably is. a half ban sucked. a full ban solves none of the problems that a half ban introduced. get over it.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Last few races have been dull and the drama from the buyout is burnt out, must be time to poke wicka with a big stick. Malaysia in 7 days, with any luck it's that time of the year when Mercedes gently caress it up at their title sponsors own track, hold on worst thread, hold on.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
But a half ban is different from a total ban, wicka, actually.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

POCKET CHOMP posted:

But a half ban is different from a total ban, wicka, actually.

cutting off your entire dick isn't better than cutting off half.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

wicka posted:

cutting off your entire dick isn't better than cutting off half.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
manwithobvioustoupee.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Low Percent Lunge
Jan 29, 2007

Spaniards still actively destroying MotoGP, in Spain of all places.

• Locked thread