Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
So I'm thinking about trying the game out, I've never played before. If I'm coming from WoW, are there any similarities to help me get acquainted with how this game works?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
This game has its low levels designed around the idea that the average player coming from a single player Final Fantasy, not another MMO. If anything, you'll find it handholds you too much. I wouldn't worry about not picking things up easily

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Kingtheninja posted:

So I'm thinking about trying the game out, I've never played before. If I'm coming from WoW, are there any similarities to help me get acquainted with how this game works?
I haven't played WoW, but from what everyone says, FFXIV is very similar, just with a Final Fantasy coat of paint and a longer GCD/more stuff to cram into that GCD. I think the most confusing thing is the class/job thing, but you can generally think of it like jobs are straight upgrades from classes, like you upgrade from a gladiator to a paladin at level 30. You have the option to stay as a gladiator, but don't do that, it's really bad.

It's a weird, bad system that's a relic of 1.0 and the devs are slowly phasing it out.

e: Also, the game starts out very slow. It's handholding you as part of Baby's First MMO. Stick with it, classes get very satisfying and tough at 50 and beyond, depending on the class.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

join an FC and ask lots of questions :kiddo:

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

hobbesmaster posted:

I meant diabolos but that was 2.2? Regardless they thankfully have not done anything that bad since

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMr2KQQII60

Just because Diabolos got a bad deal in a throwaway dungeon (which they've rightfully corrected), doesn't mean it's a bad fight! :colbert:

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

It was an ok dungeon. I liked the gremlins' debuff that could be cleansed with an emote.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Kingtheninja posted:

Sure. It's the same role trinity with an action bar interface and global cooldowns, there are parties (4 man) and raids (8 man for most), and leveling takes longer at higher levels. Dungeons and some raid bosses drop loot, alternate currency is important to character progression, and the glamour mechanic has some commonalities with the pre-Legion transmog system. The dev team's pretty good about listening to feedback, and both content and quality of life changes have been implemented over time. It's a polished product (even if there are some areas worth improving).

What's different?

-Holds your hand for the first ~20 levels
-Longer GCD (2.5 baseline)
-DPS is more responsible for success, both individually and group-wise
-Most avoidable forms of damage are telegraphed (and should be avoided!)
-Extremely alt friendly - all your classes can be available on one character
-Crafting and gathering classes instead of profession skills
-Housing
-PvP is a side thing for fun and cosmetics - only recently have there been rankings
-Gold Saucer, Triple Triad, Chocobo Training/Racing. Minigames!
-Inventory is easier to manage with the armory system (though it gets clunky once you accumulate a lot of stuff)
-FATEs (dynamic world quests) available from the start
-Past a certain, accessible point, in-game money is more for cosmetics and secondary tasks than significant progression (with a few exceptions, e.g. crafting)
-Quests and story progression. It really is a Final Fantasy game, and it generally works

As said before, the game starts out slow in both combat and story, but it ramps up around 30. I think you'll find enough to feel moderately familiar, though it'll take a while for everything to settle. If you do play, get a RAF code and join a Goon FC (details in the OP). Folks are happy to help!

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I regret missing out on the live Cactpot drawing last night. I bet people went nuts.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Kingtheninja posted:

I've been bored and reading the WoW patch and bitching threads since I used to play WoW before this and I was curious how Legion was turning out. Based on this I feel like it is important to mention that game balance in this game is pretty good. None of the roles have a wide enough performance discrepancy that you will have problems finding groups based on the job you chose. There are certainly some jobs that are better off than others, but I don't think I've seen, in the 3 years since the relaunch, a single instance of, "ugh don't grab that person, their *insert class here* is trash."

Also, they are totally fine making changes to jobs for PvP balance that only affect classes in PvP. For example, there are some pretty beefy crowd control nerfs hitting black mages in the patch Tuesday for PvP that will have no effect at all on PvE.

It's been ages since I did it myself but I found transitioning from WoW to this game to be mostly painless. Most of the basic gameplay mechanics are close enough to identical that large portions of your knowledge base are still applicable. The most glaring issue you will face immediately is that the 2.5 second global cooldown is going to feel like dogshit. It took me about 3 weeks to get over it, and as you get higher most classes will be so laden down with off-gcd abilities that it will feel frantic again, but it will still be molasses in the beginning when you've got nothing.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Yeah I could imagine trying to do WoWs current 18 button setup with a 2.5 GCD would suck. Good news is by the time you hit 60 you will have at least 32+ actions on your hotbars.

Gathering and crafting classes own bones too, WoW could stand to steal ideas from that.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

Vil posted:

If you get one directly, you're weighing the option of selling for a fortune against the option of hassle-free relatively cheap melding for personal use. Standard opportunity cost argument here.

I have a question: did they specifically say that Wondrous Tails gear wouldn't be market prohibited? Because poo poo like this is usually market prohibited, and I refuse to believe in a miracle unless they explicitly stated it.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

they made a whole point out of stating that they were sellable on the market during the live letter

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Leofish posted:

I regret missing out on the live Cactpot drawing last night. I bet people went nuts.

Had a buddy with 0000. He was devestated.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Brainamp posted:

Had a buddy with 0000. He was devestated.

I can only imagine this was the reaction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMB-XiewSKw

Yoship had the winning ticket.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Managed to get into a synced Garuda Extreme party last night, was hella fun. Fighting actually challenging bosses with the top-notch music and presentation in this game is pretty great.
I just finished the Shiva part of the MSQ and I'm quite liking how the story is evolving at this point. Shouldn't be long before I can finally head to Ishgard!

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

hobbesmaster posted:

I meant diabolos but that was 2.2? Regardless they thankfully have not done anything that bad since

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMr2KQQII60

When Diabolos shows up as a boss in Void Ark Part 3 there will be 48 doors. You know it in your heart to be true.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Well. I did the thing.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
While Legion changes this somewhat, FF14 also has the advantage storywise of your character actually being a big loving deal who gets poo poo done, as opposed to the generic elite grunts who do the legwork then get kill stolen by Blizzard's self insert Gary Stu characters. It's kind of refreshing.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Tortolia posted:

While Legion changes this somewhat, FF14 also has the advantage storywise of your character actually being a big loving deal who gets poo poo done, as opposed to the generic elite grunts who do the legwork then get kill stolen by Blizzard's self insert Gary Stu characters. It's kind of refreshing.

Well even in Legion you're still not the super important protagonist, that's illidan, you're just the head of the factions. You've come full circle and now you're the NPCs for the NPC protagonists.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Well even in Legion you're still not the super important protagonist, that's illidan, you're just the head of the factions. You've come full circle and now you're the NPCs for the NPC protagonists.
Can you demand Illidan do poo poo like bring you thousands upon thousands of lockboxes before you'll help him?

Can you force Illidan to rep grind?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Illidan's dead, baby.

Or that's as far as I know anyway. I'm sure they bring him back to life or whatever, but I gave up caring because they put the last part of the main story behind a reputation grind. I said gently caress it and cancelled my sub without a second thought.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Speaking of story, we're still planning to run some cute newbies through Coil tonight. We've already got at least five people signed up, and there's always room for more. If you're on Excalibur and you're interested, stop by and say hi! The plan is to do this between 7 and 10 eastern, but we could go later.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Fister Roboto posted:

Speaking of story, we're still planning to run some cute newbies through Coil tonight. We've already got at least five people signed up, and there's always room for more. If you're on Excalibur and you're interested, stop by and say hi! The plan is to do this between 7 and 10 eastern, but we could go later.

Do you need more people with experience or are you just looking for new friends to run through

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

bonewitch posted:

Do you need more people with experience or are you just looking for new friends to run through

If there's enough interest then there's no reason multiple groups couldn't run. Just hop on if you're interested.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Thundarr posted:

When Diabolos shows up as a boss in Void Ark Part 3 there will be 48 doors. You know it in your heart to be true.

Nah.

72 :unsmigghh:

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Mr. Nice! posted:

If there's enough interest then there's no reason multiple groups couldn't run. Just hop on if you're interested.

in that case, feel free to send me a tell at any point if you (or anybody else) need someone; I'm Amber Theisaunt in game

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I spent a bunch of MGP I saved up on Setzer's jacket and Chocobo Barding. I'm traveling the realm in style now :smug:

Tortolia posted:

I love how by the Astral Era Quests your dude is basically The Man and everyone looks up to you, everyone knows you're the one to go to when you need to get poo poo done, small-time baddies are terrified to cross you, and you're always gonna be in the room when important decisions are being made. It's cool having a sense that your character is actually a big deal.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Augus posted:

I spent a bunch of MGP I saved up on Setzer's jacket and Chocobo Barding. I'm traveling the realm in style now :smug:

I love how by the Astral Era Quests your dude is basically The Man and everyone looks up to you, everyone knows you're the one to go to when you need to get poo poo done, small-time baddies are terrified to cross you, and you're always gonna be in the room when important decisions are being made. It's cool having a sense that your character is actually a big deal.

Yeah it makes the characters who don't respect you/fear you pop a bit more. Matoya's sassing you wouldn't be quite as refreshing if everyone else also treated you like a dirt farmer.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

How many other MMOs with a notable story actually feature you as a side character? WoW is the one that keeps coming up, and FF11 from what I understand puts you as perpetual #2, but in every MMO I've played, protagonist has always been the most important figure in the story, which at this point is kind of boring and is forever a source of cognitive dissonance when you have no actual agency as "the most important person in the world".

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Emalde posted:

How many other MMOs with a notable story actually feature you as a side character? WoW is the one that keeps coming up, and FF11 from what I understand puts you as perpetual #2, but in every MMO I've played, protagonist has always been the most important figure in the story, which at this point is kind of boring and is forever a source of cognitive dissonance when you have no actual agency as "the most important person in the world".

Better than having every important story kill stolen by the devs current favourite NPC.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Verranicus posted:

Better than having every important story kill stolen by the devs current favourite NPC.

gently caress you too estinien.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

Lucky, the game vindicates this in Final Steps.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

Kingtheninja posted:

Everyone hit on most of the big bullet points mechanically, but a few things I'd add:

- It plays very much like a single player game while you're following the main story. There's not a ton of incentive to group (or really interact) with anyone until and unless the main story is pushing you into a dungeon. You're the main character and it never gives you a task you can't breeze through, nothing approaching the group quests that you (at least used to) get in WoW.
- That's fine. The community is better than WoW, but it's still an MMO with an MMO community and there are tons of lovely people you will regret ever meeting.
- While a lot of content is locked behind progress in the main story, there's also a lot of stuff that's totally optional that you don't have to sweat at all if you aren't feeling like it. For instance, I never unlocked chocobo stabling, racing, Lords of Verminion, the sightseeing log, a bunch of other stuff. It's a bit like how you didn't have to sweat pet battles and archaeology in WoW, but they were there if that's your kinda thing.
- The market and crafting and gil are their own game. It's entirely possible to play the game without money really having any value for you at all. You can make a ton of it crafting and piss it all away playing dress-up and decking out your house, or you can buy the latest whatever when one crafted piece of gear or another is raid competitive, but it's also possible to ignore money and make more than you'll ever spend on teleports and repairs and dyes.
- Corollary to the above, catgirl dressup is the real endgame and you can still do it on the cheap.
- There's a ton of incentive to play alts. XP bonus aside, you can carry shitloads of equipment and on some patch cycles there's sufficient overlap to kit every role out. Since it's all on the same character you don't have to do what winds up feeling like the same boring quests over and over after your first time through. This is a bit of a double-edged sword however, because:
- This game is far more susceptible to sporadic resubbing because things can get really stale. Since the story is the biggest draw, once you've caught up through the latest content it's not that hard to bring yourself to unsub until another patch or two have come out. This is subjective and I'm sure someone's going to fall over themselves to say my opinion is wrong or whatever, but I think the vast majority of the dungeons are a real bore compared to the post-vanilla instances in WoW, which is made all the worse by the fact that you'll be running them over and over on each of your alt jobs the way you would quests in WoW since they're pretty much the way to level alt jobs. The story keeps me coming back a couple times a year, but the group content isn't appealing enough to keep me subbed in the interim.

Emalde posted:

As I remember it, Rift always treated you as one of a number of noteworthy individuals but not as THE big man on campus. The Secret World did the same in a much cooler way, where being granted otherworldly superpowers simply meant that you're cannon fodder.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yeah it makes the characters who don't respect you/fear you pop a bit more. Matoya's sassing you wouldn't be quite as refreshing if everyone else also treated you like a dirt farmer.
I mean, Matoya is also legit as gently caress. If there's anyone that the WoL has met so far that should logically not be impressed by his poo poo, it's her.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

Estinien had a lot more reason to kill Nidhogg than you did. And at least he actually helps you throughout the fight rather than suddenly showing up right at the end.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

But he completely fucks it up and you need to fix his mistake 3 patches later.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Emalde posted:

Man the worst thing ever was GW2 when you did this big long drawn out quest and everyone is like "OUR HERO HERE HAVE THIS REALLY COOL ULTIMATE MAGIC WEAPON" then they hand it to an NPC. All that fucker did was stand around while I did all the work :mad:

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Meldonox posted:

The Secret World did the same in a much cooler way, where being granted otherworldly superpowers simply meant that you're cannon fodder.

TSW really nails the growth of your character's value/importance in the story really well for the first campaign, I haven't played any of the "expansion" content so I'm not sure if that holds up at all.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

One thing to note is that while the warrior of light might be the most important person in the world, nobody really knows that. To most people, you're "just" a hero who defeated the Ultima Weapon and Nidhogg. Your accomplishments are great, but there are plenty of people who are more visibly important than you. Even to the Scions, you're a particularly effective murder cyclone who has the power of the Echo, not the savior of the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Emalde posted:

Gw2 was real bad about this and they played up the personal story aspect a fair bit in the lead up to launch.

• Locked thread