Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Biomute posted:

He's awful in that. They only hired him because he looks like a twinky elf.

Have you seen Pirates of the Caribbean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Tenzarin posted:

Have you seen Pirates of the Caribbean?

Yes?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 226 days!
His boyishness works well in Pirates, as a contrast/straight man to Depp's Sparrow.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
So basically...

Hes really really bad!

Except in everything he's good for.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

504 posted:

So basically...

Hes really really bad!

Hey since I haven't seen you post here in a while and you don't have PMs, email me at Xenomrph (at) gmail if you still want those trading cards!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

504 posted:

So basically...

Hes really really bad!

I cant actually think of a movie he acts in it.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Tenzarin posted:

I cant actually think of a movie he acts in it.

And yet somehow he is popular and keeps getting work!?

So weird.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Xenomrph posted:

Hey since I haven't seen you post here in a while and you don't have PMs, email me at Xenomrph (at) gmail if you still want those trading cards!

Word!

I forgot, hit you up when im free.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

he's kinda fun in 3 Musketeers

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

504 posted:

And yet somehow he is popular and keeps getting work!?

So does Kevin James and so does whoever is your least favourite actor.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Tenzarin posted:

Predator shot off his arm. Arnold gets shot in the same spot and all he gets is a bruise.

I used to wonder about that but look closely and you'll that it actually strikes Arnie's rifle, tearing it in half so he doesn't take the full hit of the blast at all.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I heard they finished shooting Prometheus 2, I hope it was a head shot.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Tenzarin posted:

You should try stand-up comedy

Dark Juno
Mar 10, 2013

by zen death robot
My favorite scene in Alien 3 is when Newt saves Ripley's life by jumping and grabbing hold of an overhead bar and using gymnastic flips to kick the alien out the window and into some spikes on the ground. And then Ripley asks Newt in a comical voice: "The school kicked you from the team?".

Haha.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Tenzarin posted:

I heard the sequel's going to star your mom and have nothing but head shots.

She's gonna get that black goo in her eye.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Alec Gillis, one of the founders of Amalgamated Dynamics (the special effects people who did 'Alien3', 'Alien Resurrection', the two AvP movies, and will be doing the effects for Shane Black's 'The Predator') recently started posting production stuff on his Instagram about the aborted Ripley clones from 'Alien Resurrection', including videos of the props, concept artwork, etc.
I think it's pretty cool because it's not really something someone thinks a lot about when talking about the production of that movie, but it's still a facet that they obviously put some thought into - showing the progression of the Ripley clones, the expression of human and Alien physical traits, etc. They're all weird and gross, and you only get to see them for a couple seconds in the finished film, and the behind-the-scenes stuff on the Anthology bluray doesn't really talk about their design or anything like that.

Clone 1

Clone 2

Clone 3

Clone 4

Clone 5

Clone 6

And a vintage production photo of Clone 7

Some concept art:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BKmUriBhmX0/?hl=en
https://www.instagram.com/p/BKo0SkBBOBS/?hl=en

And speaking of other little-seen props, here's the post-crash Hicks corpse from 'Alien3' :gibs:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Dark Juno posted:

My favorite scene in Alien 3 is when Newt saves Ripley's life by jumping and grabbing hold of an overhead bar and using gymnastic flips to kick the alien out the window and into some spikes on the ground. And then Ripley asks Newt in a comical voice: "The school kicked you from the team?".

Haha.

Jurassic park did it better, that's why.

Xenomrph posted:

And speaking of other little-seen props, here's the post-crash Hicks corpse from 'Alien3' :gibs:

Is this in the special release? I do not remember seeing this at all in the movie.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Its in there but all of the head/brain stuff is covered by the beam that crushes him so you cant see much of it.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Tenzarin posted:

Jurassic park did it better, that's why.

Is this in the special release? I do not remember seeing this at all in the movie.
It's present in both versions, but you get a substantially better look at it in the Assembly Cut.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

Alec Gillis, one of the founders of Amalgamated Dynamics (the special effects people who did 'Alien3', 'Alien Resurrection', the two AvP movies, and will be doing the effects for Shane Black's 'The Predator') recently started posting production stuff on his Instagram about the aborted Ripley clones from 'Alien Resurrection', including videos of the props, concept artwork, etc.
I think it's pretty cool because it's not really something someone thinks a lot about when talking about the production of that movie, but it's still a facet that they obviously put some thought into - showing the progression of the Ripley clones, the expression of human and Alien physical traits, etc. They're all weird and gross, and you only get to see them for a couple seconds in the finished film, and the behind-the-scenes stuff on the Anthology bluray doesn't really talk about their design or anything like that.

Clone 1

Clone 2

Clone 3

Clone 4

Clone 5

Clone 6

And a vintage production photo of Clone 7

Some concept art:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BKmUriBhmX0/?hl=en
https://www.instagram.com/p/BKo0SkBBOBS/?hl=en

The Ripley clones felt like they were from some other, better movie. Also I enjoyed Alienbabby and felt bad for him/her/it.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

zVxTeflon posted:

Its in there but all of the head/brain stuff is covered by the beam that crushes him so you cant see much of it.

Ooh, that's kinda neat. When I saw the photo, I figured it might have been an unused prop, since I was like 'I thought he got impaled through the chest with a safety beam'.

Reading through some of the comments w/ that picture is ridiculous. I was pretty young when Alien 3 came out, and we didn't have message boards/twitter, but was there really a huge outcry over Hicks and Newt being killed off? I mean in a rambling 'you owed it to the fans!' way, not a 'Eh, not too jazzed they were killed off, but them's the breaks' way.

Possibly overthinking it, but I mean, one day when I was going through a lovely point in my life, I ended up watching the trilogy. 2's ending to 3's opening is a good parallel to life sometimes. Everything can go from being 'okay' to complete poo poo in an instant. You have a replacement daughter, hunky marine and half an android and you're going home! No, haha gently caress you, they all died, you're on a prison planet and one of those things you want so desperately to rid the galaxy of is going to burst out of you soon.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

LadyPictureShow posted:

Ooh, that's kinda neat. When I saw the photo, I figured it might have been an unused prop, since I was like 'I thought he got impaled through the chest with a safety beam'.

Reading through some of the comments w/ that picture is ridiculous. I was pretty young when Alien 3 came out, and we didn't have message boards/twitter, but was there really a huge outcry over Hicks and Newt being killed off? I mean in a rambling 'you owed it to the fans!' way, not a 'Eh, not too jazzed they were killed off, but them's the breaks' way.

Possibly overthinking it, but I mean, one day when I was going through a lovely point in my life, I ended up watching the trilogy. 2's ending to 3's opening is a good parallel to life sometimes. Everything can go from being 'okay' to complete poo poo in an instant. You have a replacement daughter, hunky marine and half an android and you're going home! No, haha gently caress you, they all died, you're on a prison planet and one of those things you want so desperately to rid the galaxy of is going to burst out of you soon.
I can't really speak to "the fans" much because the Internet didn't exist when the movie came out, but James Cameron and Michael Biehn were pretty pissed that Hicks got killed (Cameron was more of pissed that it happened at all, Biehn was okay with Hicks dying but didn't like how flippant it was), and Alan Dean Foster (who wrote the novelizations for the first 3 Alien movies) tried to get FOX to let him change the novelization so Hicks and Newt didn't die, and after FOX shot him down, he refused to do the novelization for Alien Resurrection.
Alan Dean Foster was just confirmed as writing the novelization for 'Alien: Covenant', so I guess he got over it in the intervening years.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Man just wondering how full that Alien 3 book must be filled with rage.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I think the beginning part of Alien 3 is one of my favorite parts in the whole movie.

Also remember, that's not Hicks in that tube :v:

blackguy32 fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Sep 25, 2016

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Im pretty sure the "big" problem with N & H's deaths was that Alien 3 was so badly received.

What they were hoping for was "This awesome movie opened with the shock deaths of 2/3 of the main cast!!" what they got was "This lovely movie killed off two good characters for no reason"

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I suspect the audience reaction of the deaths did more to color their opinion of the remainder of the movie than the reverse.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

504 posted:

Im pretty sure the "big" problem with N & H's deaths was that Alien 3 was so badly received.

What they were hoping for was "This awesome movie opened with the shock deaths of 2/3 of the main cast!!" what they got was "This lovely movie killed off two good characters for no reason"

Gibson's movie would of been the best but that shifted the focus from a female hero to a male hero and would of done the same thing to Ripley that happened to Hicks, shelved for the movie. Would that of been better? I think Newt got shelved in both movies.

Gibson added alot of acid spitting aliens also and started calling them mutants or something. And I think they could like infect you with gas somehow. http://avp.wikia.com/wiki/Alien_III_(William_Gibson)

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Sep 26, 2016

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Schwarzwald posted:

I suspect the audience reaction of the deaths did more to color their opinion of the remainder of the movie than the reverse.

I don't disagree, but if the movie hadn't been an enormous boring pile of super garbage they would have been a much easier bitter pill to swallow.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

504 posted:

They wanted movies with power-loaders and alien queens and just the same old poo poo from Aliens just racked up to 11.

Which is boring poo poo imo and I'm glad no one got what they wanted. Tired of gotdang Marines.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

CelticPredator posted:

They wanted movies with power-loaders and alien queens and just the same old poo poo from Aliens just racked up to 11.

Which is boring poo poo imo and I'm glad no one got what they wanted. Tired of gotdang Marines.

I just wanted to see Aliens getting to earth like the teaser promised :(

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That would be cool if it wasn't an action film, but a straight up apocalyptic nightmare film.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Dog_Meat posted:

I just wanted to see Aliens getting to earth like the teaser promised :(
I think that teaser really hurt it a lot. At the time Fox just shoved something out to prove they were working on a movie but there wasn't even the idea for a script at that point. Fans ran with it and were fantasizing about Aliens 2 taking place on the set of Blade Runner and they got... dusty tunnels with bald dudes.

And let's not forgot the title of the thread; the theatrical version is not the most coherent thing ever put out.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Every single time I go through the Alien series I give Alien 3 another shot, I'm always like "This is the time when its going to click and I'm going to realize Alien 3 is actually much better than I thought it was." Then I look at the clock and I'm an hour and ten minutes into it and I can't name a single character other than Ripley and who just got killed again? Was that that one rear end in a top hat or that other rear end in a top hat? Is this poo poo over yet?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Every single time I go through the Alien series I give Alien 3 another shot, I'm always like "This is the time when its going to click and I'm going to realize Alien 3 is actually much better than I thought it was." Then I look at the clock and I'm an hour and ten minutes into it and I can't name a single character other than Ripley and who just got killed again? Was that that one rear end in a top hat or that other rear end in a top hat? Is this poo poo over yet?

I think the anonymity of the prisoners (to the extent that it exists - I've never found them all that hard to tell apart) really works in the movie's favor. When you look at them as basically a monastic order and the movie as a whole as a medieval apocalypse myth, it brings it all together.

I still think it's just as good as the first two.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I think the anonymity of the prisoners (to the extent that it exists - I've never found them all that hard to tell apart) really works in the movie's favor. When you look at them as basically a monastic order and the movie as a whole as a medieval apocalypse myth, it brings it all together.

I get what you're saying, but for me the characters are such a big part of what drive the first two and make them as rewatchable as they are. The Xenomorph stalking and killing people one by one is not all that interesting on its own, especially in Alien and Alien 3(Cameron does a better job of creating tense stalking scenes imo). If I didn't give a poo poo about Lambert or Dallas or Parker then the second half of Alien would be very boring. Even as it is I prefer the first half of both Alien and Aliens to their second halves, Alien 3 doesn't have anything all that interesting going on before the poo poo hits the fan, and then when it does its standard "dudes get picked off one by one in dark hallways" stuff that gets old quickly when you don't give a poo poo about the characters.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

See I kinda feel like the expendable marines from the first half of Aliens are way more anonymous than the expendable prisoners from the first half of Alien 3.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

See I kinda feel like the expendable marines from the first half of Aliens are way more anonymous than the expendable prisoners from the first half of Alien 3.

The actors definitely factor in to that. Charles Dance is great but we've discussed in here how much he's wasted in Alien 3. 90% of the movie is the Sigourney Weaver and Charles Dutton show. And sure, a few of the marines in Aliens are pretty anonymous, but there's several who are very memorable, plus you're not taking into account Lance Henricksen and Paul Reiser. For whatever the reason, I don't think anyone would argue that the cast of Aliens is less memorable than Alien 3.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

The actors definitely factor in to that. Charles Dance is great but we've discussed in here how much he's wasted in Alien 3. 90% of the movie is the Sigourney Weaver and Charles Dutton show. And sure, a few of the marines in Aliens are pretty anonymous, but there's several who are very memorable, plus you're not taking into account Lance Henricksen and Paul Reiser.

I mean, by that same token, you're not taking into account Pete Posthlewaite and Danny Webb (or, for that matter, Lance Henricksen)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I mean, by that same token, you're not taking into account Pete Posthlewaite and Danny Webb.

Those two characters really aren't memorable at all to me, and its not like I've only seen the movie once or twice. I had to look them up to remind myself who they were. Burke, Bishop, Hudson, and Hicks are iconic. Then there's the three or four other characters I could easily name and describe because they are introduced in memorable ways and are given character moments that make their deaths more meaningful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Those two characters really aren't memorable at all to me, and its not like I've only seen the movie once or twice. I had to look them up to remind myself who they were. Burke, Bishop, Hudson, and Hicks are iconic.

This is a meaningless term to me so I guess to each his own.

I love Morse because if we're going by the whole Medieval Drama take on Alien 3, he's basically the Fool. His smirk at the end is one of my favorite moments.