Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

Libertine posted:

I don't know how you guys watch the hour-plus long individual talking about their opinions videos.

When I open a youtube video and it's one guy with a microphone and the run-time of the video is more than 5 minutes, that's an immediate browser tab close for me.

Gave it like 15 minutes, minimized the window right out the gate because why the hell would you watch the video part of it and the guy went over more or less the same bullet points he's done for a bit here.

Also you're older than I am so I'm calling your rear end out on pretending to have ADHD you stats goon spreadsheet blogging motherfucker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Servaetes posted:

Gave it like 15 minutes, minimized the window right out the gate because why the hell would you watch the video part of it and the guy went over more or less the same bullet points he's done for a bit here.

Also you're older than I am so I'm calling your rear end out on pretending to have ADHD you stats goon spreadsheet blogging motherfucker

He doesn't have much time left on this earth and you're telling him to use such a huge chunk of it on watching montecristo

You should be ashamed of yourself

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
It's not ADHD, it's the format. Videotaping yourself talking for an hour is probably the least efficient way you can convey your opinion to someone else. Whatever he said in that hour-long self-masturbatory interview could easily be conveyed into a single one-page written summary (or in this case a forum post) which an average human could read and process in a minute or two. I'm not wasting my time watching that poo poo.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

AnonSpore posted:

He doesn't have much time left on this earth and you're telling him to use such a huge chunk of it on watching montecristo

You should be ashamed of yourself

My God, what have I done...

Libertine posted:

It's not ADHD, it's the format. Videotaping yourself talking for an hour is probably the least efficient way you can convey your opinion to someone else. Whatever he said in that hour-long self-masturbatory interview could easily be conveyed into a single one-page written summary (or in this case a forum post) which an average human could read and process in a minute or two. I'm not wasting my time watching that poo poo.

Oh yeah, I know, you're incredibly easy to gently caress with

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Servaetes posted:

And I mean I get his appeal but I've never liked it. Yeah, sure, it's great that he can call a game over five minutes in while Rioters will try to make it seem like the rank 12 team stands a chance against rank 1. But that kind of casting relies insanely heavily on the casters and their personality. He's made no attempt to hide he's a douche, starting off with the train conductor schtick in S3 Worlds.

He's an ok caster, but nothing he does outside of casting is worth listening to.

I don't think people appreciate how dumb it is to argue salary grievances over twitter. It may make the company look worse than you but other companies will and should want to avoid hiring you

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
I'm completely fine with salary grievances being aired publicly like that, if it leads to people getting paid more. SMITE casters getting paid more is quite frankly ridiculous and I'm glad that we all know that now

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I didn't watch too much and here's my beef

1) States some analogy and rebukes it
2) Compares himself to entertainers/entertainment industry
3) Says his video will be boring
4) I immediately turn off

Why would you do something you know is boring immediately after comparing yourself to entertainers/entertainment industry?

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Servaetes posted:

Oh yeah, I know, you're incredibly easy to gently caress with

*crotchety old man cane shake*

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

Libertine posted:

*crotchety old man cane shake*

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Libertine posted:

I don't know how you guys watch the hour-plus long individual talking about their opinions videos.

When I open a youtube video and it's one guy with a microphone and the run-time of the video is more than 5 minutes, that's an immediate browser tab close for me.

oh jesus when i opened the video to link it I thought it said 10 minutes but I just now saw its actually an hour what the gently caress how can he find stuff to talk about for an hour on a subject thats pretty open and shut?

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Safety Scissors posted:

Why would you do something you know is boring immediately after comparing yourself to entertainers/entertainment industry?

Because this isn't the entertainment side of it. Do you go watch interviews with sportscasters or celebs or whoever the gently caress and after 5 minutes of them talking go "BOOOOORING why dont you do something ENTERTAINING"?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
i don't know why i love listening to people kind of boring-ly talk about their opinions for hours but maybe it's just cause i always liked talk radio a lot

richard lewis' new vid where he was talking about the weird cult-like charity marc merill is on the board of + donated to was rly funny

Post Alone
Mar 29, 2010

Savage Cracker posted:

First half the top 20 players is out

http://www.lolesports.com/en_US/featured/top2016/

Since Riot already said how many players from each position made the list we know the top 10 will consist of 2 toplaners, 2 junglers, 2 mids, 3 adc's and 1 support.
Smeb, Duke, Clearlove, Peanut, Bjergsen, Faker, Deft, Bang, Pray and Gorilla seem like the obvious candidates for the top 10 in some kind of order.

That's whack. Everyone knows who the best player at worlds is: Doublelift.

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010

Murder She Twote posted:

That's whack. Everyone knows who the best player at worlds is: Doublelift.

That's a funny way to spell Wolf

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Inven's Top 23 Players at World's is a much better article imo altho Biofrost is on the list but Meiko isn't and Deft is ranked a little higher than I think he might be.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

RealFoxy posted:

Inven's Top 23 Players at World's is a much better article imo altho Biofrost is on the list but Meiko isn't and Deft is ranked a little higher than I think he might be.

I would put Meiko on the list but it's a good list. I haven't read the riot one yet.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i was extremely hype for the Mata/Uzi lane but there is no way you could put Mata ahead of Meiko. unless you're a korean.

edit: just so its clear to people here who may not realize, inven is just korean reddit. they're the people who brought you the "china is going to kick every korean out of the country and all of the imported players are signing with your favorite team!" rumor

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Sep 25, 2016

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010
Isn't Inven basically just Korean Reddit ?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

rabidsquid posted:

i was extremely hype for the Mata/Uzi lane but there is no way you could put Mata ahead of Meiko. unless you're a korean.

edit: just so its clear to people here who may not realize, inven is just korean reddit. they're the people who brought you the "china is going to kick every korean out of the country and all of the imported players are signing with your favorite team!" rumor
That rumor started to swirl after Koreans were getting sent out of China in the entertainment industry tho

Savage Cracker posted:

Isn't Inven basically just Korean Reddit ?
Yeah but it's still a pretty okay list

anti-magic
Sep 9, 2012

We've come up in the ram-raiding business, Owl.
It's all high class now.
No more baby seats.
Monte's video was useful but absurdly long, and I hope someone writes up or he produces a more easily digestible version in the future. Personally I just threw it on in the background and listened closer to the sections that caught my attention.

exethan posted:

I don't think people appreciate how dumb it is to argue salary grievances over twitter. It may make the company look worse than you but other companies will and should want to avoid hiring you

I think it's important to use any piece of social media to bring issues like this to the table especially for esports; exposure trumps how appropriate the medium is. As much as people have laughed about the comparisons to actors/talent, it's applicable because LoL isn't going to last forever and casters (especially those who want to make a lifetime career of it in esports) need to be able to build up a diverse portfolio and have some kind of industry standard to work from and negotiate with.

I definitely agree that Monte is burning bridges outside of those with Riot but if he's arrogant enough to think he can stay in esports and still find gigs then it's good that he is voicing some legitimate concerns. Riot only seems to do the right thing when they are called out in public so hopefully this has a good impact in the long run.

Servaetes posted:

I mean whether or not you see it as lovely is one thing but it makes complete sense that Riot or any other big company on earth wouldn't want their employees to moonlight other products or even themselves because the whole point is promoting their product.

Being employed as a caster by Riot isn't like being a commentator in the AFL; the latter can guarantee you a lifelong career with plenty of opportunities to earn extra income through journalism, other shows and sponsorships/advertisements (see: Dennis Cometti who is retiring this year). There is no hint that Riot has another esports title in the works, so being unable to cast other games or even produce unique content hamstrings them. It looks great on a CV certainly but then there's no way for them to show diversity in other genres or if they are capable of producing content for tie-in shows etc.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
Hot take: I think TSM are going to not suck at worlds. Hauntzer is garbage relative to the competition and Svenskeren is hit and miss but Bjergsen is at a level right now that no other western player has ever hit.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

The Mash posted:

Hot take: I think TSM are going to not suck at worlds. Hauntzer is garbage relative to the competition and Svenskeren is hit and miss but Bjergsen is at a level right now that no other western player has ever hit.

I think they are going to be Top 4, but I also think RNG is going to be top 4 and probably win their group. I feel like final four will be TSM + 3 of SKT/ROX/EDG/RNG but I don't know who I would count out at this point, I actually feel least confident about SKT, but they always turn it up to another gear when Worlds comes around so it seems unsafe to even think about snubbing them. I feel like it would be extremely unlikely to not have at least one Western team in the semifinals. Only in S4/2014 did 4 Asian teams end up in the Final 4. G2 and TSM both look really high ceiling this year and could both be Final 4 teams if they roll hard. I'm most concerned for TSM's group phase because I think Group D is a literal murderer's row and if they catch one or two bad breaks they could literally be eliminated, there's not going to be any free games in that group period.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
I think tsm will end up fourth in their group.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

the general laws of esports demand tsm to flame out horribly based on the hype but i hope they do well

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
:lol:

No interview ever goes for over an hour on TV, unless it's like Lance Armstrong crying on Oprah about losing 7 Tour de France titles. Even that is only an hour, and way less if you count commercials. And no, I don't watch that poo poo.

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010

Safety Scissors posted:

No interview ever goes for over an hour on TV, unless it's like Lance Armstrong crying on Oprah about losing 7 Tour de France titles. Even that is only an hour, and way less if you count commercials. And no, I don't watch that poo poo.

2 hours of Thorin rambling about League plus 1 hour of commercials :suicide:

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Safety Scissors posted:

You missed the point entirely. The point was that just because they're in the entertainment industry, doesn't mean the things they do in their off time have to be interesting as well, and just because it's not interesting or entertaining to you doesn't mean someone else doesn't like it.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
I've watched literally all videos RL, Thorin and Monte (and Moses and Anders) have put out in at least the last 6 months. It's good background noise when I'm playing league or rocket league

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Parallel Playa posted:

I've watched literally all videos RL, Thorin and Monte (and Moses and Anders) have put out in at least the last 6 months. It's good background noise when I'm playing league or rocket league

psycopath

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Luna Was Here posted:

You missed the point entirely. The point was that just because they're in the entertainment industry, doesn't mean the things they do in their off time have to be interesting as well, and just because it's not interesting or entertaining to you doesn't mean someone else doesn't like it.

idk, when someone makes a statement like "When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars." I expect some basic effort to try and reach a wider audience. Otherwise you come off as a idiot man child simply blowing hot air. Maybe that's just me.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Safety Scissors posted:

idk, when someone makes a statement like "When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars." I expect some basic effort to try and reach a wider audience. Otherwise you come off as a idiot man child simply blowing hot air. Maybe that's just me.

Whoa now

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i thought some of you might find this interesting, this guy has modeled some information and it spit out some numbers indicating how strong it thought the teams are in each worlds group:

https://twitter.com/EsportsDS

interesting tidbits, it thinks EDG is the strongest team overall and thinks that SSG are going to eat poo poo edit: it also hates c9 and really likes g2

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I don't understand how Wolf/Bang get so hyped up. Before season 5 they were literally known as the botlane that just goes even and plays super safe. The best botlaners left to LPL which left Bang and a returning Pray as LCK's new kings of ADC. Also Score was the same as Bang but way better than he ever was except he had to play with Insec fkin top and vs other adcs like Imp/Piglet/Pray/Deft/Emperor.

Bang's best traits are that he plays with 4 other koreans, one of them is the best player of all time and all the other good adcs left his region.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

rabidsquid posted:

it thinks EDG is the strongest team overall and thinks that SSG are going to eat poo poo edit: it also hates c9 and really likes g2

I agree with both of these statements and his pools look very similar to mine with a few slight variations.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Burying the lede on that data analysis: it has TSM as the third strongest worlds team and predicts that they will find power from their group and emerge victorious, destroying rox and edg en route to claiming their title as the one and only worlds strongest

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Bang has been a pretty strong carry on SKT when the team chose to play around him as the main win condition. That's a talent, even if he is ultimately Joe Johnson on the Suns.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

I think when people consider bang its hard to get that one lucian game out of your mind. It left an indelible impression on those who have seen it.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

Jerkface posted:

Burying the lede on that data analysis: it has TSM as the third strongest worlds team and predicts that they will find power from their group and emerge victorious, destroying rox and edg en route to claiming their title as the one and only worlds strongest

Impossible! No! These "Warriors" have hidden power... beyond anything we've ever seen!

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

rabidsquid posted:

Bang has been a pretty strong carry on SKT when the team chose to play around him as the main win condition. That's a talent, even if he is ultimately Joe Johnson on the Suns.

Sounds like Rekkles to me mate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Ulio posted:

I don't understand how Wolf/Bang get so hyped up. Before season 5 they were literally known as the botlane that just goes even and plays super safe. The best botlaners left to LPL which left Bang and a returning Pray as LCK's new kings of ADC. Also Score was the same as Bang but way better than he ever was except he had to play with Insec fkin top and vs other adcs like Imp/Piglet/Pray/Deft/Emperor.

Bang's best traits are that he plays with 4 other koreans, one of them is the best player of all time and all the other good adcs left his region.

it is kinda funny to me how nobody knew or cared about any skt s players before they merged with k and got faker

• Locked thread