Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

William F Cuckley posted:

well funnily enough mentally retarded hillbillies are in fact one of the core constituencies of the republican party, along with car dealership owners who don't think they should pay taxes and people who get sexually aroused by dropping bombs on brown people

this is the end result of a deliberate strategy by republicans decades ago to build a winning coalition of voters

what's made this election a bit more interesting on the republican side is the mentally retarded hillbillies have upset the traditional balance within the party; any number of recent pieces by the nro crowd reveal a worsening despair from the business-class faction over the rejection of the economic and militarist platforms by the rubes

I think Trump is more of a Notax Car Dealer phenomenon than a retarded hillbilly phenomenon tbh.

(Edited to include quote since the page changed.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Crows Turn Off posted:

Haha, how can they even justify this? What exactly do they think their jobs entail? So pathetic.

Their jobs are the same as the people who run Reddit, apparently. Give everybody a platform to say anything they want, no matter how heinous or untruthful, then declare that it's not your job to decide who does and doesn't get to use your platform, it's just your job to provide the platform and hey, if they want to use that platform to openly advocate white supremacy based on a mountain of lies, then it's your job as the viewer to make up your own mind about what facts are true.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
By this point I'm practically expecting Lester Holt to open the debate by saying "Hello, I'm Lester Holt. Candidates, the question is: America. Go." and then just sit there for ninety minutes without saying another word.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Well I guess this means Trump isn't real. Guess we gotta deport him because orange ain't no color of skin we accept as natural human.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

vyelkin posted:

Their jobs are the same as the people who run Reddit, apparently. Give everybody a platform to say anything they want, no matter how heinous or untruthful, then declare that it's not your job to decide who does and doesn't get to use your platform, it's just your job to provide the platform and hey, if they want to use that platform to openly advocate white supremacy based on a mountain of lies, then it's your job as the viewer to make up your own mind about what facts are true.

And you guys seriously think this is a better system than just replacing the election with an endurance bicycle race?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/seanspicer/status/780084731966844928
:ironicat:

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
What happened that made the small gains Clinton made last week on 538 disappear?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
On the WaPo dead heat poll, take a look at those other questions...

Hillary is above 50% on the questions of being qualified, having the right personality/temperament, having knowledge of world affairs, handling immigration, handling an international crisis, dealing with social issues, handling health care, and looking out for the middle class.

They even think she was justified in keeping her pneumonia private and that Trump is not in hiding his taxes while he appeals to prejudices to win.

But you see the Democrats have had their turn and what Trump says about sticking it to China sounds real appealing so I guess we're still undecided!

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Dr Christmas posted:

What happened that made the small gains Clinton made last week on 538 disappear?

Literally two polls. gently caress Nate Silver, his poo poo is broken.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

WampaLord posted:

Maybe I should pay him a visit so we can discuss azrying.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
If you criticize Nate Silver, it is because you don't understand statistical modeling. If you're like me (smart) you will always hug and kiss Nate Silver, who is good and has a web site.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

canepazzo posted:

Trump "wins" first debate 36 hours before it starts:

https://twitter.com/aravosis/status/780072171339120641

Big fact: this woman is loving trash
Little fact: Trump's hands

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Dr Christmas posted:

T-t-t-terrorism probably. They're neck and neck on that issue, a lot of people are concerned about it happening in the lead up to the election, and it's the second most important issue on peoples' minds in the WaPo poll (possibly more if the "two or more" item hides a lot of terrorism votes)

GladRagKraken
Mar 27, 2010
This is a friendly reminder that hillbilly was a slur to denigrate those who ran to the mountains because they refused to interact with capitalism, and weren't racially homogenous, whereas Trump supporters have a higher median income than Americans as a whole and are almost exclusively white. Stop blaming poor folk. This is all about retail management types terrified they'll be treated the way they treat their underlings.

edrith
Apr 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/780083216053071874

which one of you did this

edrith fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Sep 25, 2016

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

What an unfortunate typo, I'm sure they meant to type "Trump ."

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Are all y'all in some hosed up remake of Speed where if Clinton's poll numbers drop to a certain percent the bombs planted in your chests explode? Why are you paying so much attention to minute by minute poll changes

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

GladRagKraken posted:

This is a friendly reminder that hillbilly was a slur to denigrate those who ran to the mountains because they refused to interact with capitalism, and weren't racially homogenous, whereas Trump supporters have a higher median income than Americans as a whole and are almost exclusively white. Stop blaming poor folk. This is all about retail management types terrified they'll be treated the way they treat their underlings.

it's just everyone at his rallies looks like hillbillies. nobody with money in the south knows how to dress so it's an easy mistake to make.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
"I hate how the media is trying to turn this election into a horse race"

*5 seconds later*

"Clinton is down by half a point oh gently caress I'm ruined"

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/780078604780797953

If true, this makes Clinton targeting of self-identified Republicans seem like something of a strategic miscue. Still time to turn it around, though.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Guy Goodbody posted:

"I hate how the media is trying to turn this election into a horse race"

*5 seconds later*

"Clinton is down by half a point oh gently caress I'm ruined"

Different posters post different things, shocking local goon.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

canepazzo posted:

Really what is a fact? Also what is air? Wow what is this a desk? I don't know anything nothing is knowable *shits self*

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

canepazzo posted:

it says right there its <34 hrs, did u even read your vid :c00lbutt:

a little fact is what comes out of trumps mouth when hes not lying

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Guy Goodbody posted:

Are all y'all in some hosed up remake of Speed where if Clinton's poll numbers drop to a certain percent the bombs planted in your chests explode? Why are you paying so much attention to minute by minute poll changes

That's actually the case with some posters.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

HannibalBarca posted:

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/780078604780797953

If true, this makes Clinton targeting of self-identified Republicans seem like something of a strategic miscue. Still time to turn it around, though.

People keep saying she's been targeting self identified Republicans but I haven't seen it.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Really what is a fact? Also what is air? Wow what is this a desk? I don't know anything nothing is knowable *shits self*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-agl0pOQfs

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

GladRagKraken posted:

You want to take a look at the Clinton-Trump polls from Appalachia, or compare how Obama did against Romney in that region?

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Shes a Republican in disguise so targeting Republicans is up her wheel house duh.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

canepazzo posted:

Wait, that lady runs the thing that sets up our presidential debates, right? What the fuuuuuuuuck?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

So basically in the debate either Trump lies about everything, Clinton spends her segments refuting him, and next day the verdict is "SHE DID NOT SPEAK ABOUT HER POLICIES ENOUGH, TRUMP WINS"

or she doesn't bother refuting him, in which case "HILLARY WAS BORN IN KENYA TO ISIS AND AL-QAEDA, TRUMP WINS"

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

greatn posted:

People keep saying she's been targeting self identified Republicans but I haven't seen it.

The Reno speech was a trial balloon in this direction but they seem to have dropped that approach. The Great Normalization has definitely worked to help Trump so I can see why they tried to cut it off at the pass, but the white voters' capacity for self-deception can't be underestimated.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

greatn posted:

She and the campaign made a deliberate decision to disassociate Trump from your typical Paul Ryan Republican in an effort to make defection by regular Republicans seem more attractive. That may have paid off by widening the Dem margin in Virginia, but it doesn't seem to have helped much in Ohio, Colorado, or Florida. It could pay off if it flips Georgia, but that's an outside shot.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/rubycramer/how-a-decision-in-may-changed-the-general-election

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

canepazzo posted:

So basically in the debate either Trump lies about everything, Clinton spends her segments refuting him, and next day the verdict is "SHE DID NOT SPEAK ABOUT HER POLICIES ENOUGH, TRUMP WINS"

or she doesn't bother refuting him, in which case "HILLARY WAS BORN IN KENYA TO ISIS AND AL-QAEDA, TRUMP WINS"

It doesn't matter who they say won, it matters whose minds they change as voters.

Also, horrifying thought: the only major event of the past few days is Cruz's endorsement. I really how that's not the bump

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

canepazzo posted:

HEMPSTEAD, NY: Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton stuns debate audience by walking out on stage wielding a flamethrower with the words "BIG FACTS" painted on it and immolating debate moderator Lester Holt.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

WampaLord posted:

It's times like these that I secretly wish that the executive branch had a media secretary.

Also what primary debates should I watch for an assignment?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/politico/status/779504267677827072

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

welcome to whose lie is it anyway where the policies are made up and the truth doesn't matter.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Non Serviam posted:

^^^Perhaps assuming almost half the electorate is racist and misogynistic, and that their opinions are unchangeable, is the error then.

Calling it an assumption implies it's not accurate. America is still very much full of racism and misogyny. I'd be surprised if half the country isn't guilty of one, or both, of those things. Especially racism given how many totally-not-racist people fall in to the "well I like X but just not here" camp.

Crows Turn Off posted:

Haha, how can they even justify this? What exactly do they think their jobs entail? So pathetic.

They have to moderate, as in, make both positions look moderate with the truth being in the middle. :downs:

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

welcome to whose lie is it anyway where the policies are made up and the truth doesn't matter.

The truth is that nothing matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

USPOL E-Mail: E-Mails E-Mails E-Mails. E-Mails? E-Mails E-Mails!

• Locked thread