Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

QuarkMartial posted:

Can I use a 1/2 inch (or maybe mine is 3/4in) torque wrench on spark plugs? Or is it too big?

I'm thinking that the minimum calibrated setting of a 3/4" drive torque wrench is going to be WAY over the torque value for a spark plug...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

DethMarine21 posted:

Clearly what we need is a simpler likely hellaciously expensive solution such as these awesome bolts.

Yeah, those would get expensive quick at $30 each.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-cap-screws/=14atyum

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

glyph posted:

Yeah, those would get expensive quick at $30 each.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-cap-screws/=14atyum

The list price on a grade 8 bolt of the same size is $11.50.

net price on those would still prob be $8-$10 to the regular bolt's $2 though.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

cursedshitbox posted:

Torque the important poo poo. armstrong the stuff that can't kill anyone.

it would take a gently caress of a lot to strip a stud on the bus... 500lb-ft lug nut torque.

we had a fun failure mode on truck lugs at work the other day. Part of the weekly check that management mandates is you get the lug wrench out and run it over the lug nuts to make sure none of them move.

Great in theory. Until you get a canter with left hand threads on the passenger side. Then as everyone goes around the truck checking the lugs without knowing this, every time they lean on that passenger front tyre they undo the nut juuuust a little bit. Add that up over several months and all of a sudden two nuts are missing and the other 3 are loose!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

loving crash safety standards.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mercury Ballistic posted:

I had the idea for fasteners that had a designed shear failure at a set torque. You could install them, tighten till they sheared off and know they were at the spec'd torque. Then I asked my mechanical engineer brother who was doing an internship at Boeing about the idea and was informed that they are common in aviation manufacturing.

BRB, patenting intentionally shearing drivers.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

QuarkMartial posted:

Can I use a 1/2 inch (or maybe mine is 3/4in) torque wrench on spark plugs? Or is it too big?

As MrYenko pointed out, 3/4" is usually pretty hefty. Find the torque spec for your plugs and then shop for a torque wrench with that spec in the range. In the meantime only put in plugs finger tight.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Platystemon posted:

BRB, patenting intentionally shearing drivers.

Single use torque wrenches! The click is the head snapping off the handle.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
You've never been to Harbor Freight?

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

CharlieWhiskey posted:

. In the meantime only put in plugs finger tight.

Or hold your rachet like your throwing up the metal sign to Dio. It makes it so its harder for you over tighten. But you can still get a good amount of force. I use it when tightening small fasteners and i have never had one break or fall out.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

CharlieWhiskey posted:

As MrYenko pointed out, 3/4" is usually pretty hefty. Find the torque spec for your plugs and then shop for a torque wrench with that spec in the range. In the meantime only put in plugs finger tight.

I typically use the 3/8" one from HF for my sparkplugs.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

I had the idea for fasteners that had a designed shear failure at a set torque. You could install them, tighten till they sheared off and know they were at the spec'd torque. Then I asked my mechanical engineer brother who was doing an internship at Boeing about the idea and was informed that they are common in aviation manufacturing.

Also the toilet seat I installed had them.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

nm posted:

Also the toilet seat I installed had them.

Same, I thought it was kinda nice to have them sheer off when fully tightened.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Boogalo posted:

Single use torque wrenches! The click is the head snapping off the handle.

I had one of those. It cost me $15 at Canadian Tire and successfully torqued the 35mm nut on my bike's single sided swingarm, once.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Same. I use a torque wrench on my spark plugs after learning that aluminum motors are more mushy than steel motors, but I still just use whatever 4-way or breaker bar is laying around.

This is why you use spark plugs that are supposed to last 100k. Next owner's problem!

Mostly kidding... but the car I have now is the first one I've owned with taper seat plugs, installing those really hosed with my head. I'm used to crush washer plugs. I guess I'll find out if I overtorqued them in another 30k. :sigh:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
My friend finally gave me the link to the youtube videos he's taken of our ambos. They're all pretty terrible:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKfLrm8dlyo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TS_LMSXmu_s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkBEKSc3jIM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCS7vAabAZw

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Raluek posted:

"A pint's a pound the world 'round" innit? Plus, a pint is 16 fl oz, and isnt a fl oz of water 1oz weight? And there's definitely 8pt in a gallon. So where's the extra change come from?

From that saying being nothing more than an estimate?

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I'll just double check the range on mine and get a smaller one off need be.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
Had an 04 Civic in because the tailights and parking lights didn't work.

Found the fuse blown. New fuse blows right away. Dug into the car, traced all the wiring. Couldn't find any issues. Disconnected every single bulb. Still blows the fuse the second it goes in.

After about an hour the customer calls and says that his kid put a quarter into the radio's CD slot - could that have anything to do with it? WTF dude? No!

Then punched the dash near the radio. Radio clock just shut off. Put a new fuse in. Parking lights magically work! Radio dead now. The customer thought it was an okay trade and went on his way.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

HI-LOK fasteners. I'm not a metalpecker and don't really know the specifics of when and where they're used, but I do know that our sheet metal guys go through them by the bushel at times.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010
It's worth noting that a UK fluid ounce of water weighs one ounce.

But a UK pint is 20 ounces. 10 pounds per gallon.

A US pint is entirely different and based on some historical nonsense with wine gallons and troy pounds and measurements that are hilariously off. So in the US a pint is not a pound and an ounce is not an ounce.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's almost as if the imperial measurement system is complete trash from every perspective and we should have stopped using it 200 years ago.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Stop driving on the left side then, deal?

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
In the northern hemisphere, roundabouts really should be left-turning. Fighting the coriolis effect is wasteful.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Dylan16807 posted:

It's worth noting that a UK fluid ounce of water weighs one ounce.

But a UK pint is 20 ounces. 10 pounds per gallon.

A US pint is entirely different and based on some historical nonsense with wine gallons and troy pounds and measurements that are hilariously off. So in the US a pint is not a pound and an ounce is not an ounce.

U.S. measures are weird but at least they’re the originals. The U.K. decided “let’s make the system ever so slightly more internally consistent” and ended up with the worst of both worlds. The relationship between units is still nonsensical, but now you have two units of the same name that differ by 20% and have to be differentiated via context‐based guessing every time they show up. :thumbsup:

If you’re going to break with the past, make it a clean break. No half measures.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Is that an imperial half measure or metric?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
We don't use fractions with metric measures :colbert:

Also I didn't use a torque wrench on my lug nuts and this is what happened: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YayFP8CxJok

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Platystemon posted:

U.S. measures are weird but at least they’re the originals. The U.K. decided “let’s make the system ever so slightly more internally consistent” and ended up with the worst of both worlds. The relationship between units is still nonsensical, but now you have two units of the same name that differ by 20% and have to be differentiated via context‐based guessing every time they show up. :thumbsup:

If you’re going to break with the past, make it a clean break. No half measures.

There used to be a whole bunch of different gallons so at least they decided on one gallon. That's a huge improvement.

Also uh have a tire that was being shaky on the freeway.

vvv Actually the US still used multiple gallons in different contexts. Having "the same gallon as the US" was an impossible goal from the outset, because "gallon" was ambiguous. The UK at least made "Imperial gallon" be unambiguous.

Dylan16807 fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Sep 25, 2016

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
There are two gallons, though.

gal US
gal IMP

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

mobby_6kl posted:

Also I didn't use a torque wrench on my lug nuts and this is what happened: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YayFP8CxJok

Was yours the one that brained the guy with the sprinter van? :ohdear:

I wonder how Russians feel about the rest of the world using their atrocious traffic/vehicle safety standards as a spectator sport, or is it less embarrassing than the fact that almost every car NEEDS a dash cam in the first place?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They probably appreciate the theoretical YouTube dollars so want you to spread that link to every person you know.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

mobby_6kl posted:

The curse chain the guy at 2:00 lets loose after that whole dual-wheel slowly makes its way to his car and bonks it is just magical. :allears:

And that dude with the white van got loving ruined got dang.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
I think I read that he was killed instantly. :cry:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Do they not attach wheels in Russia?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Raluek posted:

I just thought the whole deal with fluid ounces was that, when the fluid was water, they weighed an ounce. I guess not? :shobon:
You're right that a fluid ounce is based on a volume which has a weight of one ounce, but it's not water, it's wine. No, seriously.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

InitialDave posted:

You're right that a fluid ounce is based on a volume which has a weight of one ounce, but it's not water, it's wine. No, seriously.

Holy poo poo

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I mean, back when the unit was established, water was unmetered but people didn’t take kindly to you stiffing them on their booze.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

mobby_6kl posted:

The half-liter is a perfectly acceptable beer measure. :colbert:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Computer viking posted:

The half-liter is a perfectly acceptable beer measure. :colbert:

Yeah, if you're pregnant.

pussy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

mobby_6kl posted:

Right around the 3 minute mark is from Dallas, Texas.