Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
Want to be the obligatory Poloma in some goon 3v3s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
How does the game try match 3v3? Is it always support + ranged + melee or what?

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

steakmancer posted:

Want to be the obligatory Poloma in some goon 3v3s

we call this "the strong bird"

strong bird
May 12, 2009

i tried playing last night at like 2 AM and it was the fuckin dregs my man

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI
What is this game balanced for? 2v2 or 3v3? Everyone I play with prefers 2v2.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Loutre posted:

I hope it's balanced for 3v3. It feels way more dynamic. I prefer 3v3 by a large margin.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Loutre posted:

Hopefully both, heals already have modifiers depending on the player count iirc.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Pearl is such a loving beast. The rite that makes her dive charge her silence is so brutal. Then give it splash damage and just prevent the enemy team from doing anything.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
I think many people (Rook players) underestimate Boulder Toss. The AoE is so big that if you target anyone that's not already moving (i.e. someone who is already using an ability), they'll either have to use an ability to dodge it (or put a shield on) or take the damage. I've been going for both boulder battlerites so it deals more damage and can be spammed even more and it has been really effective. It's just very disruptive and it makes it so much easier to land good rushes and deal melee damage when people used their mobility skills to dodge a boulder (or to get back after being knocked away/out of position).

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Walh Hara posted:

I think many people (Rook players) underestimate Boulder Toss. The AoE is so big that if you target anyone that's not already moving (i.e. someone who is already using an ability), they'll either have to use an ability to dodge it (or put a shield on) or take the damage. I've been going for both boulder battlerites so it deals more damage and can be spammed even more and it has been really effective. It's just very disruptive and it makes it so much easier to land good rushes and deal melee damage when people used their mobility skills to dodge a boulder (or to get back after being knocked away/out of position).

Same for the croak players who don't get the extra charge on his spit

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
I like to get the armor break boulder and the weapon break. Landing a 2 or 3 person boulder can totally screw the opposition.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

12k people online now apparently. Pretty good for early access, right?

Orv
May 4, 2011
Pretty decent for something that isn't a survival game.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pretty good for the Dota-styled MOBA.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Decided to stick to Shifu for a while to see if just playing him over and over would unlock anything in my brain. Nope. Took about ten matches for me to win even one. I just don't get this man.

Macavity
Jun 29, 2006

There never was a cat of such deceitfulness and suavity.
Fun Shoe

HMS Boromir posted:

Decided to stick to Shifu for a while to see if just playing him over and over would unlock anything in my brain. Nope. Took about ten matches for me to win even one. I just don't get this man.

Hit 'em with the pointy end, mate.

Shifu is trickier than some of the other DPS because other than his M1/M2 combo, everything in his kit can be used either defensively or offensively. The invis and javelin throw in particular are both good at initiating and escaping. Knowing when to pressure and when to back off is key. You might find you're better with him as you gain more experience with the ebb and flow of battle in general.

Watch for enemies with their escapes on cooldown, or who are separated, then dive in. Leave up an escape for when their teammate comes in to save them.

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

A couple of pretty high rated dudes are streaming over here: https://www.twitch.tv/nfmanewhope

They answer questions from chat, talk about the game and seem pretty chill in general :) I've been finding it pretty helpful

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I've never played anything like this before but everyone's saying it's the bee's knees, as a complete ignoramus who doesn't understand any of the terminology being thrown around how bad a time am I in for if I decide to give this a shot?

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.
Some random observations:

Pearl really is busted, it's hard to want to REALLY train with her because you have to suppose she's getting nerfed soon. Personally I think that the Power of the Deep battlerite (round 1, weapon charges on dive) should just become part of Dive, Pearl should start with her weapon charged like Sirius, and then the power of Volatile Water should be nerfed to a point where that's not imbalanced. Right now Power of the Deep is the most mandatory battlerite in the whole game, and then when you have it Pearl is bustaroni and cheese.

The second-most mandatory Battlerite is Shifu's Poised To Strike (round 2, 3 weapon charges on Kunju) and I also think it should be part of Kunju, and the damage per charge probably lowered to 4 to compensate. You could also take off the immaterial from Kunju and make THAT the battlerite, with a bit more duration.

I don't know what the third most mandatory battlerite is. Maybe Vareh's Return (round 1, can recast a successful Wuju within 1.5s) or Oldur's Renew (round 2, Rejuvenating sand heals 8 more health after 3.5s)? I DON"T think it's Jade evasion (round 1, Stealth makes you immaterial for 1s) - Desperado is actually really strong when they have a healer and you don't, so even though Evasion is really good, I take Desperado semi-frequently.

Sirius gets the most points inflation in the whole game. In general, I think low score does usually mean you're bad but the difference between a middling score and a very high score doesn't mean a big difference in terms of player skill - folks like Sirius and Pearl just get points like candy, and sometimes you do the most for your team by just kiting 2v1 while your buddy gets up to shenanigans.

I do think that Rook and Lucie seem like the most UP champs right now. Probably Oldur in third and Iva in fourth. (All of these rankings are for 2's.) For Rook, I think what he REALLY needs is some non-trance, non-battlerite way to trigger Berserk. It's kind of stupid that you get EITHER the stun on Berserk, OR Berserk on landing rush, but they're both round 1 battlerites. So if you take the stun in berserk, you can only get that berserk by them messing up and hitting trance, and if you take the berserk on landing rush, you don't get either of the battlerites that buff berserk. Right now a major part of Rook's kit is totally dependent on enemies triggering trance, and like, what if your opponents are just good?

Also, the change I want the most is for Stunlock to fix circular abilities to not always be bigger than their circles. Even if it super-benefits me as a Sirius player.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

hito posted:

Also, the change I want the most is for Stunlock to fix circular abilities to not always be bigger than their circles. Even if it super-benefits me as a Sirius player.

Is this actually the case or are the hero circles getting clipped? You can see a circle below the hero model that represents their actual hitbox.

Macavity
Jun 29, 2006

There never was a cat of such deceitfulness and suavity.
Fun Shoe

hito posted:

I don't know what the third most mandatory battlerite is. Maybe Vareh's Return (round 1, can recast a successful Wuju within 1.5s) or Oldur's Renew (round 2, Rejuvenating sand heals 8 more health after 3.5s)

Yeah, I take Renew every single time. Oldur's healing feels very underwhelming without it.

I also always take the rite that gives Iva bounce on Taser. It pretty much guarantees that someone will get interrupted, and I get double interrupts off it fairly often. Easy set up for a shotgun or, depending on the mobility cooldowns they have up, a rocket.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
After tanking my rating way down while teaching a buddy how to play, went on a 10 game winstreak today and pulled myself back up to 3400 rating. Scored two ragequits along the way, one on a Rook, another on a Bakko. I wonder when melee players will learn that they can't manmode a drain-tank Croak?

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
I'm super salty about rating because I started by duoing with a not-great buddy and tanked my rating early and now it's a mega-slog to get up through the 2000's. I can carry most games but I'm getting like 10 points on a 3-0 and I'm at 2300.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

AttackBacon posted:

I'm super salty about rating because I started by duoing with a not-great buddy and tanked my rating early and now it's a mega-slog to get up through the 2000's. I can carry most games but I'm getting like 10 points on a 3-0 and I'm at 2300.

I was getting like 5 points for a win a couple days ago (over like 20-30 wins), then all of a sudden I'm getting 25-30 per win again. :shrug:

Stunlock doesn't use Elo, they use a different system I think.

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

Brannock posted:

I was getting like 5 points for a win a couple days ago (over like 20-30 wins), then all of a sudden I'm getting 25-30 per win again. :shrug:

Stunlock doesn't use Elo, they use a different system I think.

I think they've said they use something similar to microsoft's "trueskill" system
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/research/project/trueskill-ranking-system/

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

hito posted:

Pearl really is busted, it's hard to want to REALLY train with her because you have to suppose she's getting nerfed soon. Personally I think that the Power of the Deep battlerite (round 1, weapon charges on dive) should just become part of Dive, Pearl should start with her weapon charged like Sirius, and then the power of Volatile Water should be nerfed to a point where that's not imbalanced. Right now Power of the Deep is the most mandatory battlerite in the whole game, and then when you have it Pearl is bustaroni and cheese.

There's actually a glitchy thing you can do to start the game with your M1 charged as Pearl. If you Power of the Deep and use Dive exactly as everyone else finishes their picks, such that you disappear underwater while the practice dummies are still up but jump back up out of the water once everyone's auto-mounted, you'll be placed on your mount with your staff glowing purple.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Unironically love playing Pearl and having a teammate cross the bubble I laid down, only to instantly die since Jade used her ultimate in it.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

I AM BRAWW posted:

Unironically love playing Pearl and having a teammate cross the bubble I laid down, only to instantly die since Jade used her ultimate in it.

Gonna try to get a replay later, but I had a game today where my partner Taya filled the enemy Pearl's bubble with boomerangs and then I charged the Pearl through the bubble as Bakko and she just instantly exploded.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

hito posted:

Some random observations:

The second-most mandatory Battlerite is Shifu's Poised To Strike (round 2, 3 weapon charges on Kunju) and I also think it should be part of Kunju, and the damage per charge probably lowered to 4 to compensate. You could also take off the immaterial from Kunju and make THAT the battlerite, with a bit more duration.

I don't know what the third most mandatory battlerite is. Maybe Vareh's Return (round 1, can recast a successful Wuju within 1.5s) or Oldur's Renew (round 2, Rejuvenating sand heals 8 more health after 3.5s)? I DON"T think it's Jade evasion (round 1, Stealth makes you immaterial for 1s) - Desperado is actually really strong when they have a healer and you don't, so even though Evasion is really good, I take Desperado semi-frequently.

Sirius gets the most points inflation in the whole game. In general, I think low score does usually mean you're bad but the difference between a middling score and a very high score doesn't mean a big difference in terms of player skill - folks like Sirius and Pearl just get points like candy, and sometimes you do the most for your team by just kiting 2v1 while your buddy gets up to shenanigans.

I do think that Rook and Lucie seem like the most UP champs right now. Probably Oldur in third and Iva in fourth. (All of these rankings are for 2's.) For Rook, I think what he REALLY needs is some non-trance, non-battlerite way to trigger Berserk. It's kind of stupid that you get EITHER the stun on Berserk, OR Berserk on landing rush, but they're both round 1 battlerites. So if you take the stun in berserk, you can only get that berserk by them messing up and hitting trance, and if you take the berserk on landing rush, you don't get either of the battlerites that buff berserk. Right now a major part of Rook's kit is totally dependent on enemies triggering trance, and like, what if your opponents are just good?

rook is currently the best noob stomping hero in the game. His counter is really quite strong, and armor break is super strong. I agree that oldur seems a bit under powered though.

Also pearl chain heal rite is great in 3v3. Still think getting the silence is better most games.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
Buff Alchemist, nerf Psychopomp

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Dont bully!!!

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Best ranged: Varesh
Worst: Jade

Best melee: Shifu
Worst: Rook

Best healer: Poloma
Worst: Sirius

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Counterpoint: They're all the best and the worst simultaneously.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

I've never played anything like this before but everyone's saying it's the bee's knees, as a complete ignoramus who doesn't understand any of the terminology being thrown around how bad a time am I in for if I decide to give this a shot?

Everything is intuitive and the game is fun even if you're just starting out. Give it a shot if you like competitive games, worst case you can refund it.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.

Brannock posted:

Best ranged: Varesh
Worst: Jade

Best melee: Shifu
Worst: Rook

Best healer: Poloma
Worst: Sirius

If this is 2's, I really don't think you can say Iva is better than Jade.

I guess you sort of get the illusion of it because when Iva goes off, she can really go off. But Iva can just get stone cold shut out a lot easier than Jade, especially when people start actually accounting for the jetpack back.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
Didn't the winners of Ultiduo run a Pearl Iva comp?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

hito posted:

If this is 2's, I really don't think you can say Iva is better than Jade.

I guess you sort of get the illusion of it because when Iva goes off, she can really go off. But Iva can just get stone cold shut out a lot easier than Jade, especially when people start actually accounting for the jetpack back.

Iva has a whole load more utility than Jade, is the thing. You have Taser, Gunge, Zap...

Also I very rarely take U-Turn, opting for double Taser instead

Ahhpple
Dec 18, 2011

Oldur is weaker than sirius imho

Grimwall
Dec 11, 2006

Product of Schizophrenia
What can Varesh do against melee tunnel if he blows his wuju?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanant
Mar 27, 2010
Do we know who the next heroes will be? I heard there was a teaser out but I can't find it now.

• Locked thread