Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Quantum of Phallus posted:

If you like HL2 you'll love Wolfenstein The New Order. It's probably the best FPS I've played since HL2

I'm still shocked when I see people say things like this. I played the game enough to plat it (because I have a serious problem when it comes to trophies) and I felt that the game was the very definition of mediocre. It's not horrible, but there are a lot better games you could be playing. For example, the Metro games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Please don't buy The Order 1886

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

The Order 1886 is a fine game if you understand that it's an interactive movie with cover-based shooting sections. It's very pretty and the story is OK by video game standards. Buy its for $10~ and you'll got yourself money's worth.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

...! posted:

I'm still shocked when I see people say things like this. I played the game enough to plat it (because I have a serious problem when it comes to trophies) and I felt that the game was the very definition of mediocre. It's not horrible, but there are a lot better games you could be playing. For example, the Metro games.

Metro is boring cant even hold two rocket lanchers at once

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

zenintrude posted:

The Order 1886 is a fine game if you understand that it's an interactive movie with cover-based shooting sections. It's very pretty and the story is OK by video game standards. Buy its for $10~ and you'll got yourself money's worth.

It's a bad movie with bad cover-based shooting sections. It's not worth $0 since there are a ton of good games you could be spending your time on instead.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

...! posted:

Disagree but everyone's got their own opinion v:shobon:v

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Andrast posted:

It's a bad movie with bad cover-based shooting sections. It's not worth $0 since there are a ton of good games you could be spending your time on instead.

Sorry to hear that The Order 1886 murdered your family :(

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

zenintrude posted:

Grow up

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

zenintrude posted:

I just don't see the point in deliberately playing a bad game when the world is full of amazing games you don't have enough time to play

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Andrast posted:

I just don't see the point in deliberately playing a bad game when the world is full of amazing games you don't have enough time to play

I guess it's so the game doesn't murder your family.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Andrast posted:

let me tell you about how your opinion can be wrong

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

I picked up the Order 1996 when it was $5 and that seemed like an appropriate price for that experience. it's short and pretty forgettable but its not as bad as people make it out to be. there are probably better ways to spend your time and money

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

morallyobjected posted:

let me tell you about how your opinion can be wrong

its a game with little to no redeeming qualities that wastes its premise and your time spent playing that could be spent on a more interesting shooter like bulletstorm or vanquish

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Is the Star Ocean game worth 23 euro bucks?

Heard it is a tad short/not great.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

CharlestonJew posted:

its a game with little to no redeeming qualities that wastes its premise and your time spent playing that could be spent on a more interesting shooter like bulletstorm or vanquish

saying people can't enjoy one game because a better game exists is one of the silliest opinions in this thread. no one said it was a masterpiece or that no better games existed. you clearly didn't like it and that's fine, but other people have, clearly, and especially at a lower price than its launch value, which does make a difference to a lot of people

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

morallyobjected posted:

saying people can't enjoy one game because a better game exists is one of the silliest opinions in this thread. no one said it was a masterpiece or that no better games existed. you clearly didn't like it and that's fine, but other people have, clearly, and especially at a lower price than its launch value, which does make a difference to a lot of people

Nobody said you can't enjoy the game either. People talked about the game and I said my opinion on the game.

I don't know why you would assume that I tried to present it as an objective fact or something.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

morallyobjected posted:

This reminds be of all the people tearing Remember Me to shreads, while I've beaten it twice (first in English then in French). The fighting system is pretty unique and the environments and music are great. The interesting premise is unfortunately wasted on a story that swings but misses most of the time. It's a flawed game that still is worth playing. Still, I have NO idea why the developers decided to make another action-oriented game after having a small hit with Life is Strange.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

spudsbuckley posted:

It's a game that probably didn't cost much more than that to make and is desperately trying to hide it and failing. It's not awful but I wouldn't really recommend it either unless you really like hitting stuff and watching numbers go up whilst a season 1 TNG plot but more anime plays in the background.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
I Redboxed The Order and enjoyed it, for what it's worth. Anyone interested in playing it should be aware of two things, though:

1) It's like four and a half hours long, and it'd be 90-120 minutes without cutscenes

2) It will make you mad at all the wasted potential. You have this crazy-rear end story about the Knights of the Round Table teaming up with Nikola Tesla to stop a plague of werewolves, and 95% of the actual gameplay is shooting at dudes in corridors.

It is the one of the only shooters I've ever played to come up with a satisfactory explanation for the whole 'get shot-> hide behind cover -> magically go back to full health' gameplay loop, though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The worst part of The Order is that it has a bunch of crazy steampunk weapons that are actually fun to use and then you spend most of the game with a pistol, a rifle and a machine gun.

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

For Blood, Comic Mischief, Mature Humor, Nudity, Strong Language, Suggestive Themes, Use of Alcohol, and Intense Violence.

Online Interactions Not Rated.
I also really liked The Order but found the whole "missed opportunity" aspect to be most disappointing. I do hope they're able to put out a sequel; I enjoyed the story and would like to see where it goes from there.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
If they gave The Order on ps+ I'd download and play it, I wouldn't even claim Knack though.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

El Hefe posted:

I wouldn't even claim Knack though.
mods?!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Renoistic posted:

This reminds be of all the people tearing Remember Me to shreads, while I've beaten it twice (first in English then in French). The fighting system is pretty unique and the environments and music are great. The interesting premise is unfortunately wasted on a story that swings but misses most of the time. It's a flawed game that still is worth playing. Still, I have NO idea why the developers decided to make another action-oriented game after having a small hit with Life is Strange.

Their new game is that bloodborne ripoff right?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I thought it was more a Vampire: the Masquerade rip off but I haven't seen any footage of it.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Sakurazuka posted:

I thought it was more a Vampire: the Masquerade rip off but I haven't seen any footage of it.

It's called Vampyr. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnvlLqFqJX8

The gameplay looks decent until the fighting starts. Calling it a "Bloodborne" ripoff is giving it way too much credit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeeXUYtyfVM

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Sakurazuka posted:

Life is Strange was good, I bet this'll be good.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

spudsbuckley posted:

The combat was pretty bad, which is usually one of Star Ocean's strong points. Skip it.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Renoistic posted:

It's called Vampyr. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnvlLqFqJX8

The gameplay looks decent until the fighting starts. Calling it a "Bloodborne" ripoff is giving it way too much credit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeeXUYtyfVM

I would download this as a free PS+ game.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

I still haven't seen a single thing about Vampyr that would make, or really anyone, want to buy it. Maybe if you're a huge fan of vampires...? Do people like that exist anymore?

Anyways, they kind of should've stuck with the safe option instead and continued with 'Telltale game but better' type stuff. I only played an hour or two of Remember Me but it was pretty bland too, so I can't see why they wouldn't stick with their most succesful game style. Sure, innovation and new things are cool, but they seem to be good at one thing only so far. Maybe it's a massive surprise though and Vampyr is GOTD.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

one time i was standing on the docks in the middle of the night with a cinder block tied to my foot, and then i remembered some people decided to spend their time playing The Order. so i went home instead.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Attitude Indicator posted:

one time i was standing on the docks in the middle of the night with a cinder block tied to my foot, and then i remembered some people decided to spend their time playing The Order. so i went home instead.
Always remember there are worse things than suicide, everyone; its called playing bad video games

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

smuh posted:

Always remember there are worse things than suicide, everyone; its called playing bad video games

you misunderstood my inspirational story you doofus

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Can I borrow that cinder block from you sometime

And the rope

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Attitude Indicator posted:

Went home to play Game of the Year Digimon Cybersleuths?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

CharlestonJew posted:

Please refer to Bulletstorm by its proper name, Captain Swearword's Big loving Adventure.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
How is the Child of Light DLC? I've got it unplayed from some earlier purchase but the discount on the Ultimate is large enough that if it's good DLC I should just buy it again.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

hadji murad posted:

Is there currently a good way to fund a Canadian PSN account if you have a foreign card?

Also, since it's been ages since I bought a game, is tax charged on purchases?

http://www.pcgamesupply.com/buygames/sony-playstation-network-cards/Canada-Region/

I haven't tried it myself, but they have good reviews and they just e-mail you the code rather than shipping a physical card, they're the only retailer I've found who does that.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

http://www.pcgamesupply.com/buygames/sony-playstation-network-cards/Canada-Region/

I haven't tried it myself, but they have good reviews and they just e-mail you the code rather than shipping a physical card, they're the only retailer I've found who does that.

Yeah, PC Game Supply is what I use too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Ape Agitator posted:

How is the Child of Light DLC? I've got it unplayed from some earlier purchase but the discount on the Ultimate is large enough that if it's good DLC I should just buy it again.

The DLC is garbo mostly. Crystals for crafting, two costumes for Aurora, and a new party member. Only the latter really matters of these. If it's cheap enough and you are going to play on Hard go for it, otherwise stick to the base game.

• Locked thread