Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

I don't know what this means, I don't know why I painted it. I'm honestly confused by the whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manifisto

I like that a lot, I feel like you should have been illustrating books/stories during the golden age of SF (whatever that means, don't press me on it).

This particular painting somehow makes me think of Gene Wolfe's "Mathoms From the Time Closet: 1: Robot's Story" from the anthology Again, Dangerous Visions

read the story here, maybe

ty nesamdoom!

Applewhite

by vyelkin
I created a new emote and I wanted to get some feedback on it before spending $30 to add it to the library:

:females:

Edit: a lighter skinned version so the details stand out better.

Applewhite fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Sep 25, 2016

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

fuck. marry. t-rex

It's dumb and sucks

Applewhite

by vyelkin

That's not constructive feedback. Why is it dumb and suck?

----------------

fuck. marry. t-rex

The concept of a goony goblin thing saying females isn't funny to me and not worth 30 dollars and further I don't understand why you would be buying it, ostensibly as a mockery of other posters when you are extremely unselfaware and goonish. That's my full.critique.

fuck. marry. t-rex

These type of insult meme emotes are bad: :allears: :ironicat: :goonsay:

However feel free to buy another one and ill.get to laugh at you

Applewhite

by vyelkin

gently caress. marry. t-rex posted:

The concept of a goony goblin thing saying females isn't funny to me and not worth 30 dollars and further I don't understand why you would be buying it, ostensibly as a mockery of other posters when you are extremely unselfaware and goonish. That's my full.critique.

Your dislike of my emote is rooted in your personal dislike of me and not actually based on the merits of the emote itself, got it.

But I take your point about it not looking recognizably like a Ferengi. I'll work on that.

----------------

fuck. marry. t-rex

No its not. That's not what I said.

fuck. marry. t-rex

And here's a doodlesketch as a positive tilted thread contribution

Applewhite

by vyelkin

No its not. That's not what I said.

Sorry, you're right, I disregarded the part where you said it wouldn't be funny to you because I don't care what you think is funny.

----------------

bacalou

applewhite i feel like you completely ignored what she was trying to say because you refused to examine the portion of trex's critique that cast a shadow into your ego. as someone who actually likes ds9 i think its pretty telling that you find their sexism relatable and funny when they're a mirror of how humanity was around this point in time.

here are some good tips to survive in byob until they remake your cage:

-leave the goon at the door, we are a kind, friendly folk, who do not infuse our internet ego with the hyper-masculine ignorance and aggression we fail to convey in reality
-when someone strikes you on the cheek, do not strike them or turn your other cheek. make a fart joke instead. basically any response can be improved by added a joke.
-don't start poo poo. seriously, just don't start drama with yobbers in the yob. it will turn into a confusing puzzle of horror for you and end up in the goldmine as we laugh nervously around your tomb. this isn't a threat, i've just seen it before. something in byob just makes people pick Mt. Insignificant as their hill to die on and everyone is mildly concerned and amused. it's painful for everyone.

just some advice that i hope you receive openly

bacalou fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Sep 25, 2016

Applewhite

by vyelkin

bacalou posted:

applewhite i feel like you completely ignored what he was trying to say because you refused to examine the portion of trex's critique that cast a shadow into your ego. as someone who actually likes ds9 i think its pretty telling that you find their sexism relatable and funny when they're a mirror of how humanity was around this point in time.

here are some good tips to survive in byob until they remake your cage:

-leave the goon at the door, we are a kind, friendly folk, who do not infuse our internet ego with the hyper-masculine ignorance and aggression we fail to convey in reality
-when someone strikes you on the cheek, do not strike them or turn your other cheek. make a fart joke instead. basically any response can be improved by added a joke.
-don't start poo poo. seriously, just don't start drama with yobbers in the yob. it will turn into a confusing puzzle of horror for you and end up in the goldmine as we laugh nervously around your tomb. this isn't a threat, i've just seen it before. something in byob just makes people pick Mt. Insignificant as their hill to die on and everyone is mildly concerned and amused. it's painful for everyone.

just some advice that i hope you receive openly

Where are you getting that I find their sexism relatable? The emote is intended as a reference to the hilarious "fffemales" meme where whenever a poster uses the word "females" to describe women, other posters say "fffemales" imitating the way ferengi say it. I just figured it might be cute if there were an emote for it the way we have an emote for :biotruths:

anyway sorry for lashing out. I guess I just felt attacked when I was told my emote was dumb and sucked.

----------------

Hector Beerlioz

aw, hec

Applewhite posted:

Edit: a lighter skinned version so the details stand out better.

I would use this one a lot

bacalou

i feel like this could be used in a modern feminism textbook under institutionalized misogyny

RazzleDazzleHour

I'm gonna dump some of my art to stop everyone (key phrase: everyone) from looking any worse

Silk screen print of birbs

Monoprints made with block printing ink

Tiberius Thyben

Gone Phishing

Applewhite posted:

Where are you getting that I find their sexism relatable? The emote is intended as a reference to the hilarious "fffemales" meme where whenever a poster uses the word "females" to describe women, other posters say "fffemales" imitating the way ferengi say it. I just figured it might be cute if there were an emote for it the way we have an emote for :biotruths:

anyway sorry for lashing out. I guess I just felt attacked when I was told my emote was dumb and sucked.

'Eh. You weren't really in the wrong. He did call you "extremely unselfaware and goonish" out of nowhere, which was apparantly constructive criticism? Honestly, I'm not huge on the emote either, and I'm not sure it is worth the 30 bucks, but it was pretty obvious what you were going for.

Salmiakki

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I'm gonna dump some of my art to stop everyone (key phrase: everyone) from looking any worse

these are very nice!

https://twitter.com/sallymiakki
ty cat dynamite

fuck. marry. t-rex

It doesn't matter much but so we're clear I'm a woman

e: actually it does matter a bit

fuck. marry. t-rex fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Sep 25, 2016

fuck. marry. t-rex

Also I like your block prints, especially the first one. What kind of planning do you go through preparing to make the piece? I'm unfamiliar with the process but it's cool

Applewhite

by vyelkin

Tiberius Thyben posted:

'Eh. You weren't really in the wrong. He did call you "extremely unselfaware and goonish" out of nowhere, which was apparantly constructive criticism? Honestly, I'm not huge on the emote either, and I'm not sure it is worth the 30 bucks, but it was pretty obvious what you were going for.

Thanks! I know it needs work. I shouldn't have asked for general feedback earlier when all I really wanted to know was whether the blobby goblin face I drew resembled a ferengi. I'm very new to pixel art.

----------------

Zorodius

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
the lighter one is better but it's still a little hard to get visually. Maybe more two-tone with his face like it's lit from above or something?

bacalou

It doesn't matter much but so we're clear I'm a woman

e: actually it does matter a bit

sorry i didn't mean to be rude

FluffieDuckie

ok guys some things were said that shouldn't have been and i think we should all just move on now. the art dump shouldn't be a place for this

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

Macnult

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I like these a lot
especially this one

it makes me picture I'm in a city looking straight up, the lines on the bottom are like a fire escape or scaffolding and on each side are two different buildings

RazzleDazzleHour

The term "Monoprint" is pretty loose, it basically refers to anything that you've sent through a printing press, but I'm boring and just used materials you'd be using in normal prinmaking anyways. I covered a zinc plate in printmaking ink, which is like a super-dense paint that you apply with a roller. Then I use a tiny bamboo pen to carve out a sketch of where I want things to be, and then I scrape away areas of ink with tiny rectangles of mat board. Lastly, I blot the entire thing with a rag to get a little bit of variation in the dark areas. Once I finished preparing the plate, I put a damp piece of paper on top and send the whole thing through the printing press.

You can do this with pretty much anything though. I've used plexiglass squares in classrooms where we didn't have fancy zinc plates (you just need to be careful when sending it through the press so the glass doesn't fracture), and you can start with a clean plate and essentially paint onto it instead of wiping ink away. You can put stencils on for texture, or straight-up glue something onto the paper and send it through. Like I said, it's a pretty general term, but I really like the system I've got down. Here's two more I made the same way.

Applewhite

by vyelkin

Zorodius posted:

the lighter one is better but it's still a little hard to get visually. Maybe more two-tone with his face like it's lit from above or something?

How about this?

----------------

Zorodius

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
I think it's the best ferengi yet

Tiberius Thyben

Gone Phishing

Applewhite posted:

How about this?

That is definitely more Ferengi-esque, though I'm not sure the emote as a whole in necessary. Of course, it is up to you.

Edit: Maybe the face alone would work better emote wise, if improved a little more, and the text was gone? Like, show, don't tell. The Ferengi should imply the Feeeemales.

I am just rambling, though.

Tiberius Thyben fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Sep 25, 2016

Tiberius Thyben

Gone Phishing

Or maybe switch their positions? Like, face on the left, flipped, and text on the right? So it matches up with most of the other "things saying things" emotes?

FluffieDuckie

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

The term "Monoprint" is pretty loose, it basically refers to anything that you've sent through a printing press, but I'm boring and just used materials you'd be using in normal prinmaking anyways. I covered a zinc plate in printmaking ink, which is like a super-dense paint that you apply with a roller. Then I use a tiny bamboo pen to carve out a sketch of where I want things to be, and then I scrape away areas of ink with tiny rectangles of mat board. Lastly, I blot the entire thing with a rag to get a little bit of variation in the dark areas. Once I finished preparing the plate, I put a damp piece of paper on top and send the whole thing through the printing press.

You can do this with pretty much anything though. I've used plexiglass squares in classrooms where we didn't have fancy zinc plates (you just need to be careful when sending it through the press so the glass doesn't fracture), and you can start with a clean plate and essentially paint onto it instead of wiping ink away. You can put stencils on for texture, or straight-up glue something onto the paper and send it through. Like I said, it's a pretty general term, but I really like the system I've got down. Here's two more I made the same way.

these are beautiful :love:

Macnult

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

how long have you been doing this for? these look awesome

bacalou

id wear this on a shirt

Macnult

bacalou posted:

id wear this on a shirt

:agreed:

RazzleDazzleHour

The first two I made when I first took my printmaking class, which I THINK was freshman year? I made them both like the second week of class, I had made two prints before those and then I made those two right in a row on the same day. The second set I made my Senior year, but outside of my first printmaking class I hadn't really made any prints. I haven't made any since then, either, which is something I should get back on. Now that I've got a full-time job/career most of the art I make is small, non-time-consuming stuff. Once I settle into things and start coasting I'll have more time to make cool stuff. That being said, I've got more prints laying around that I'll take pictures of eventually but I wanna let other people post their stuff too.

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
I went to my parents place today and ended up helping my mom make some little houses for their annual craft fair. This is my tower made from a coffee can, pea gravel, day lilly stems, a pine cone, two acorns, a marble and a glue gun that burned me multiple loving times:

Salmiakki

Luvcow posted:

I went to my parents place today and ended up helping my mom make some little houses for their annual craft fair. This is my tower made from a coffee can, pea gravel, day lilly stems, a pine cone, two acorns, a marble and a glue gun that burned me multiple loving times:

i love it. id like to think this is the home of the mouse in your av

https://twitter.com/sallymiakki
ty cat dynamite

FluffieDuckie

Luvcow posted:

that's adorable and i love that you're doing crafts with your mom

try low heat glue guns instead. i had to get one after the great glue gun incident of 2009

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Salmiakki posted:

i love it. id like to think this is the home of the mouse in your av

it would be but it's going to be sold for like $10 at the fair to raise money for the UU church's programs and charities :(

i originally wanted to put a little windmill on it or a water wheel but i figured it was good enough just to finish it today and say goodbye to it, hope it gets a nice home

FluffieDuckie posted:

that's adorable and i love that you're doing crafts with your mom

try low heat glue guns instead. i had to get one after the great glue gun incident of 2009

ya she is the best, she was the mom who made all the costumes for the school plays and played the piano for all the school musicals, her little craft group makes amazing things

Luvcow fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Sep 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bacalou

luvcow why are you so adorable

• Locked thread