Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I get pretty annoyed when I see dead bodies just laying around that I can't report for AP, especially when I'm only one or two points away from an app I want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Persona 5 also has a similar thing except they just gave Light and Dark actual attack spells in addition to the insta-kills. The franchise as a whole seems to be moving away from Hama/Mudo being only instant-death which I like a lot.

I'm so trained to not use Hama/mudo spells on bosses that I always forget to do it.

Anyway I'm coming to the end of the game and like it way more than 4. The only thing that I think of that wasn't a direct improvement is the dungeons are still dull.

it's also the first time I actually cared about your buddies in a mainline smt game and the first time the non-neutral path was something a reasonable person could conceivably take.

Inverted Sphere
Aug 19, 2013
So I have a question about demon whispering, is there any way to trigger it at will? I've been recording over lower leveled versions of demons in the compendium, and I just realized that means I'm saving demons that already have all of their skills learned so if I re-summon them from the compendium later, won't that make it impossible to get any of their skills again?

On that note, how bad an idea is it to change the build I'm going for partway through? I'm only like level 12 but I'm seriously thinking about maybe doing a Magic build instead of a Strength build, especially since SP recovery on the MC anyways actually isn't half bad thanks to the MP-while-running apps.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

even if a demon has demon whispered, they'll demon whisper again when they level. while normally skills you already took from them are locked out, as far as i can tell if you resummon a new one from the compendium that's reset and they'll whisper them again. i have an Ubu that i've been recycling to rewhisper tathlum shot and rapid needle to me.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Inverted Sphere posted:

So I have a question about demon whispering, is there any way to trigger it at will? I've been recording over lower leveled versions of demons in the compendium, and I just realized that means I'm saving demons that already have all of their skills learned so if I re-summon them from the compendium later, won't that make it impossible to get any of their skills again?

On that note, how bad an idea is it to change the build I'm going for partway through? I'm only like level 12 but I'm seriously thinking about maybe doing a Magic build instead of a Strength build, especially since SP recovery on the MC anyways actually isn't half bad thanks to the MP-while-running apps.

Every time a demon finishes leveling up and learning all of their skills, they'll do the whisper thing and teach you skills.

Inverted Sphere
Aug 19, 2013
Well that's handy, though in this case I already recorded them to the compendium after they demon whispered to me the first time, is that gonna screw me at all? Should I not update demons in the compendium in that case so I can just resummon base-level versions of them? My last SMT was part of Nocturne, so I'm used to the idea of being able to lose access to skills permanently and potentially screwing yourself that way.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Inverted Sphere posted:

Well that's handy, though in this case I already recorded them to the compendium after they demon whispered to me the first time, is that gonna screw me at all? Should I not update demons in the compendium in that case so I can just resummon base-level versions of them? My last SMT was part of Nocturne, so I'm used to the idea of being able to lose access to skills permanently and potentially screwing yourself that way.

I wouldn't think so? Worst case scenario you can either re-find or re-fuse them - the compendium should have a way to search specifically for skills, so if you want Agilao for example, should be easy to find a demon with it.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Hail Satan Lucifer

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Are there any 'Gotchas' for the endings? I know about going against your alignment but I'm going for big friendship thing and don't want to get hosed because I didn't do X sidequest or whatever.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Inverted Sphere posted:

No, you're good. If you re-summon a maxed out demon from the Compendium it'll whisper again as soon as it gains a level.

Just don't save any demons at the level cap because then they can't level and won't whisper again. Once the level cap unlocking DLC drops this becomes a non-issue unless you save your demons at level 999.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Are there any 'Gotchas' for the endings? I know about going against your alignment but I'm going for big friendship thing and don't want to get hosed because I didn't do X sidequest or whatever.

Not really. There are very few things that are permanently missable in IV:A. Only thing I can really think of is to make sure to visit the lake in Mikado when you go there if you're going for the friendship ending. But even that's not that important, it just gives you a very minor advantage in the final dungeon.

Nicaden
Feb 17, 2012
Playing through the game and loving it so far. All the stuff added makes it an massive improvement over IV. Although there is a side quest called Godslayer training: Max Force that I'm having a bit of trouble beating. The most I can get is the boss to red before I run out of time or MP, or if I simply focus on buffing first, the boss spams almighty and my team dies by the 3rd turn.

Anyone have any tips since Google isn't really helping me out and I want to finish all the side quests available before I move on.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Usually when bosses nuke you with almighty spam for buffing, it's because you buff too much or you've removed a necessary weakness. Have you tried buffing till just before max?

setzer
Feb 25, 2007
this game is great I love this game

the vr missions are better this time.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
What do you call someone who employs a hit and run tactic with -dyne spells?

A -DYNE AND DASHER.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

why

Nicaden
Feb 17, 2012

LostRook posted:

Usually when bosses nuke you with almighty spam for buffing, it's because you buff too much or you've removed a necessary weakness. Have you tried buffing till just before max?

Thanks for the advice but it's a timed boss fight where you have to beat it within 4 turns and it'll heal itself to full health with Diaharan if it takes damage and when not healing it spams almighty spells.

By the way, I took a short break from it and came back and just beat it on the third turn. The trick was to swap out all your demons while buffing, then have the one not buffing use smirk then concentration along with the rest. If you do tha, you should be able to have just enough damage to take it out.

setzer
Feb 25, 2007
is the late-game dungeon w/ the fiends war difficulty only?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Oh, because people who eat food and then run away without paying for them are called dine-and-dashers.

It's essentially a form of wordplay, since dyne is one letter away from dine.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Motherfucker, I did not know about all the changes to Apps in this game. I went for the same strategy I used in 4 which was to bum rush Fusion Booster above all else, and I have not much other apps. I'm at the end of Camp Ichigaya, at the Yamato boss rush, and now I'm scrambling to raise Macca to try and fuse demons with the skills I need, cause my MC is pretty sucky (three-way split between Dx, Ma, and Ag) :gonk: Do I just try and brute force my way through, or should I drop down to skirmish and try to salvage my character afterwards? Is there a way to respec?

Also, is there a time limit on the DLC? Most things are locked for me (leveling, etc).

Fossilized Rappy
Dec 26, 2012
Been devouring this game obsessively. I'm at what I assume is the midpoint, having just slain the Four Heavenly Kings, Marici, and Maitreya Buddha through the combined might of Medusa, Nebiros, and Airavata.

I was already okay with SMTIV, but Apocalypse has improved on nearly every thing from that game I had any problem with. With any hope, things like skill affinities, the combo of basic 1 + 1 fusion and extensive searches both being options in the Cathedral of Shadows, and actually competent map icons will be retained whenever Atlus decides to do SMT V.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Genpei Turtle posted:

Yeah, sure, the second post is for anything goons think are worth posting for the whole thread.

Also, though I missed the discussion earlier, I thought it might be worth mentioning since some people were relying on Fusion Booster---Fusion Booster is kind of a trap and long-term is a waste of your Application Points. You stop getting AP once you hit level 99, AP-granting items are very rare unless you abuse DLC, and getting Fusion Booster up to a level where it makes a notable difference is expensive. Once you hit the upper levels Fusion Booster loses its utility and all the points you put into it instead of something else have gone to waste.

The better applications that are level-gated are pretty expensive too (it takes 240 AP to get party MP regeneration, 360 AP to unlock all your MC and demons' skill slots, 150 AP to reduce Compendium prices etc) so any points you waste in Fusion Booster are points that could have gone to something that would have remained consistently useful. It makes things easier for yourself in the short term, but in exchange for potentially handicapping yourself in the long term. I'd advise against getting it unless you plan to abuse the DLC.
Out of curiosity, assuming I'm not trying to 100% the game or playing with the DLC or anything, just on a typical run - around what level do you get to by the end? In most SMT games I usually finish somewhere from the mid 70s to low 80s, so even a couple ranks of Fusion Booster might not be actual wastes, though they might still be suboptimal.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

theshim posted:

Out of curiosity, assuming I'm not trying to 100% the game or playing with the DLC or anything, just on a typical run - around what level do you get to by the end? In most SMT games I usually finish somewhere from the mid 70s to low 80s, so even a couple ranks of Fusion Booster might not be actual wastes, though they might still be suboptimal.

Probably 99. I'd imagine many if not most will hit the level cap before the last boss. The last few bosses can wreck you at level 99 if you're not careful at least.

ed: I'm on the completionist side and hit level 99 in the last big dungeon before the last dungeon. Before the final alignment break, even.

Genpei Turtle fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Sep 26, 2016

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
How do you deal with the maze garden?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Hunt11 posted:

Look at the scanner. if it says no data at an exit, go through that one

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Hunt11 posted:

Look at your shadow my man

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

There are more stat templates for demons now, aren't there? I don't remember the one with high Str and Mag in SMT4, and there seems to be some variation in HP/MP even within templates. My biggest problem with 4 was the lack of individuality in demons. Did the other games have such clear cut stat configurations and I just never noticed? I love the skill bonuses. Like Halphas' buffs only cost 10 MP, it really gives them some identity.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm trying to decide on how I feel about the story so far. It feels like Persona 4 in a way where everything is a million times lighter and softer and it's kinda weird. I'm being told all this horrible poo poo is happening but all the characters are joking and laughing like they don't give a poo poo and at one point before a deadly mission they all start playing dress up and stuff. The tone is just completely hosed to the point I'm not sure what I should be taking seriously if anything. Dagda is also kinda poo poo and has one line he repeats in several different ways and nothing else which feels like a total waste.

7/8 Spoilers Asahi just got loving destroyed so things are finally getting a little more serious but I feel it's a little too late.

General Timeline spoilers but this game (and 4) kind of had me at a lost. Akira went above the surface and formed the eastern Kingdom of Mikado. Built it up all that stuff. Thing is he did it with Fujiwara and Skins who are very noticeably not old men. How old is Mikado? Only like 20 years or something? How did they have time to form LONG WITHSTANDING TRADITION where the gauntlet right takes place at 18 years of age? How did they have time to go through enough letters of the alphabet to get to K at the tavern?

I didn't fully get it back in vanilla but here it's even more confusing thanks to Skins and Fujiwara not looking like they aged a day along with the fact it's supposed to only be 25 years since the ceiling went up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

This isn't a spoiler:

Tokyo runs at a different time than Mikado. Tokyo time actually runs way slower. It is why Navarre was (prior to his death) older than Flynn despite them getting their gauntlets at the same time.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
The time dilation stuff gets explicitly explained in the Hunter database notes. They're worth reading!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Strange Quark posted:

The time dilation stuff gets explicitly explained in the Hunter database notes. They're worth reading!

I usually save stuff like that for when I'm at the final boss's door and everything is finally updated to completion so shame on me.

Big thing that kinda bothers me plotwise that killed 7/8's opening for me (Big Spoilers) Sesha lunges at you to eat you and Asahi takes the hit and is ripped to shreds and eaten. Why hasn't Nanashi mentioned that he has infinite lives by now? Everyone knows he's come back from the dead and with Sesha talking up how he revives and gets stronger each time I figured it would be a good time for Dagda to finally say something other then "friends suck" with "yeah so? My godslayer does that too."

It made her sacrifice feel kinda pointless before the scene even ended.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Big thing that kinda bothers me plotwise that killed 7/8's opening for me (Big Spoilers) Sesha lunges at you to eat you and Asahi takes the hit and is ripped to shreds and eaten. Why hasn't Nanashi mentioned that he has infinite lives by now? Everyone knows he's come back from the dead and with Sesha talking up how he revives and gets stronger each time I figured it would be a good time for Dagda to finally say something other then "friends suck" with "yeah so? My godslayer does that too."

It made her sacrifice feel kinda pointless before the scene even ended.

You'll find out very soon but Dagda's resurrection powers aren't unlimited. Also Shesha eating you isn't like other demons in that he's not actually killing you but straight up eating your soul. Presumably Dagda wouldn't be able to revive the MC if Shesha got him because he wouldn't actually be dead. It'll make slightly more sense after you beat that next dungeon.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I've got a choice of quest rewards between a sword called Headhunter (1-6 hits, low hit%, chance of instant death) and a gun that I haven't checked the stats for yet. I'm doing strength, but I just got Excalibur or whatever so I'm not sure if Headhunter is worthwhile, unless that instant death is really handy later on for grinding or something? I do use shoot every now and again when there's a random enemy weak to guns, but I haven't upgraded that beyond some bullets I found, so it wouldn't go to waste.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yeah, Shesha's entire thing (and to an extent the DP at large) is to be a huge dick by playing as dirty as possible. It really throws into light just how drastically different they are from Law and Chaos, who are kinda boring in comparison. Also, holy poo poo the (next to?) final dungeon is gross.

Which reminds me, don't tell me if it actually happens, but I really hope I get to fight Y̮̫̼̩͜H̷̰̳̤̖͓̓̈ͪ͆V̮̠̳͍͖̙̝ͩ̽̇ͦ͐͞H̸̅̆. It's been too long.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Sep 26, 2016

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Maitreya gave me a newfound respect for attack items. Bosses that resist phys suck rear end.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Maitreya gave me a newfound respect for attack items. Bosses that resist phys suck rear end.

Maitreya was a joke because he's weak to gun.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Strange Quark posted:

Maitreya was a joke because he's weak to gun.

Oh. My DX is in the shitter so I didnt even try shooting him, just used Agilao stones on my mc over and over.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I'm an SMT vet and I still forget that physical, gun, dark, and light are all potential weaknesses that bear probing. Especially those last two now that they're viable damage-dealing spells.

"Oh the boss isn't weak to fire, ice, lightning, and wind, guess he has no weaknesses then :downs:"

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

Armor-Piercing posted:

I've got a choice of quest rewards between a sword called Headhunter (1-6 hits, low hit%, chance of instant death) and a gun that I haven't checked the stats for yet. I'm doing strength, but I just got Excalibur or whatever so I'm not sure if Headhunter is worthwhile, unless that instant death is really handy later on for grinding or something? I do use shoot every now and again when there's a random enemy weak to guns, but I haven't upgraded that beyond some bullets I found, so it wouldn't go to waste.

I took the head hunter because it raised my str stat more than Excalibur ever did and it will last you a good while. Using it against hordes is great when it does proc the instant death. You should never sell the Excalibur because it is the only thing that will damage Shesha.

Marogareh fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Sep 27, 2016

XainZero
Feb 16, 2011

Not sure if this is obvious or not, but those weird flowers that you sometimes see around maps are treasure chests that you use the Jade Dagger to open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Man, arriving to Shinjuku just to see corpses all around the place gives you the heebie-jeebies. :ohdear:

• Locked thread