Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I mean, if i was rich, and wanted to get richer, and was also an amoral racist fuckwit, I don't know about you guys, but i would invent vr and then use my money to unduly influence things that aren't actually important, in the long run.

What disappoints me, greatly, is that these lovely memes were not made in vr, or for vr viewing. Panoramic memes could be the next big thing.

What a shocking lack of business acumen. Trump would be heartbroken, if he knew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
It's not like the entire world is suddenly against Luckey just because he's a Trump supporter. I mean, it's inexcusable that America has let it get this bad, and there's no way in hell someone who literally wants to exclude people from the country based on their religious beliefs should ever even be allowed to run for president, but let's pretend for a second that this is all fine and that personally knocking on every single Latino's door to check if they're legal or not is a sane position that we should all waste our time reasonably debating - it probably has more to do with the fact that even if we believe Luckey's fake-rear end apology, even he admitted to donating ten thousand US dollars to a group that actively advertises to white supremacists.

Luckey isn't going to face punishment for this, so take solace in that, I guess - America has already accepted and welcomed the alt-right, and Peter Thiel is already on Facebook's board, so the precedent would make it hypocritical on the company's part. But acting like this is just "devs are pulling support because Oculus's CEO isn't voting for the same person as them" is so gross of an oversimplification that it has to be willful ignorance.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Yes, exactly. If Palmer had made a post on Facebook that said "I, Palmer Luckey, have donated the maximum legal contribution of $5,400 to Donald Trump's campaign. Make America Great again!", then he would have gotten some angry replies but it wouldn't have been a big media story or started a boycott.

He spent twice that much - $10,000 - to fund the creation of racist / white supremacist hate speech and spread it online. Then he admitted that he did it to a reporter (he said he did it for the lolz). Then he lied about admitting that he did it.

So everyone saying he's being persecuted for his political opinions needs to shut the gently caress up, because what he did went way beyond expressing a political opinion or supporting a certain candidate.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

There is nothing that this dumb election doesn't bleed over into.

Pi Mu Rho
Apr 25, 2007

College Slice
That is seriously cool as poo poo. I'm glad to see you got to grips with the export/reimport/retexture process that has eluded me so far.

quote:

Does anyone know of any particularly good tutorials on just creating a basic scene in something like unity, and importing assets like that?

For the very basics, it's ridiculously simple. Create a new scene, import your mesh (which should be as simple as a drag and drop into the assets), drop it into the scene. Disable shadows on the mesh, or it'll look wrong. Plop in a first-person controller, and you can now stroll around your new environment. Actually, better put in an invisible plane under it so you don't fall through - same goes for any objects you don't want to walk through. If you wanted a Destinations-esque teleport system, that's going to be a bit more complex, but I'm sure there's a couple on the Unity Asset Store that could get you going.

Edit: You may have to rescale your mesh until it feels "right" to move around in.

I did this from ~200 photos, and without correcting any of the meshes, then threw it into Unity:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHpgJvcAB0Q

Pi Mu Rho fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Sep 25, 2016

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Are there any examples of these racist white supremacist meme's? I've only seen that Too Big to Jail one which looks just like any other political message from any party.

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Sep 25, 2016

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Poetic Justice posted:

Are there any examples of these racist white supremacist meme's? I've only seen that Too Big to Jail one which looks just like any other political message from any party.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3680205 enjoy

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

Try searching with your web browser for "racist frog memes" then click view images. Its totally real.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

I more meant from Palmer/Nimble America. I tried googling it but all that shows up is a billboard with Hillary's face saying Too Big to Jail.

VocalizePlayerDeath posted:

Try searching with your web browser for "racist frog memes" then click view images. Its totally real.

:stare: :what: haha

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Sep 25, 2016

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
On a totally different note, anyone with a Rift have 2 monitors? I'm getting a new one and I vaguely recall reading there was some issue, but I don't really remember what the deal was or if I'm even remembering correctly.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Poetic Justice posted:

On a totally different note, anyone with a Rift have 2 monitors? I'm getting a new one and I vaguely recall reading there was some issue, but I don't really remember what the deal was or if I'm even remembering correctly.

I have two monitors and no issues.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

StarkRavingMad posted:

I have two monitors and no issues.

Alright, good to know, thanks!

fenrif
Jan 12, 2010
Speaking as someone from the UK who doesn't really care about the US election because both candidates are morally degenerate reprobates: Could we go back to the topic of VR?

I just got a VIVE yesterday. Set it up and had a go of the lab. Now I need more games. I've got nearly everything that's free downloading as we speak, so take them as a given.

What are some must-plays? I'll drop cash on antyhing as long as its not £40 for a 30 min "experience."

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Space Pirate Trainer

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

fenrif posted:

Speaking as someone from the UK who doesn't really care about the US election because both candidates are morally degenerate reprobates: Could we go back to the topic of VR?

I just got a VIVE yesterday. Set it up and had a go of the lab. Now I need more games. I've got nearly everything that's free downloading as we speak, so take them as a given.

What are some must-plays? I'll drop cash on antyhing as long as its not £40 for a 30 min "experience."
vvv

Lemming posted:

Space Pirate Trainer
^^^

Out of Ammo, Vanishing Realms, The Gallery, Solus Project, House of the Dying Sun I recommend without reservation. Windlands is fun if you aren't prone to motion sickness, Project Cars and Elite are good sit down games if racing/space trucking appeal to you.

If you have Minecraft go download Vivecraft, if you like Nintendo games get DolphinVR and gently caress around with that.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

fenrif posted:

If you like mil-sim games like Arma OnwardVR is a must-have. I'm having so much fun, absolute killer app for all of VR. I already have 24 hours.

I would probably wage you'd love it even if you don't like Arma style gaming, just as an fps the added level of reload and communication is amazing.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Zsinjeh posted:

If you like mil-sim games like Arma OnwardVR is a must-have. I'm having so much fun, absolute killer app for all of VR. I already have 24 hours.

I would probably wage you'd love it even if you don't like Arma style gaming, just as an fps the added level of reload and communication is amazing.

Speaking of, I'd like to start an Onward Goon game today, in an hour. (21:00 UK time) Join the Vive Goons discord to join in.

fenrif posted:

Shell out for Onward and join us. It'll be a good opportunity to pick up how to play the game.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

homeless snail posted:

Windlands is fun if you aren't prone to motion sickness

I've been on the fence about buying Windlands, I enjoyed exploring the environment in the old DK2 demo but I want more out of an actual game. Is there more to the actual game than just aimlessly wandering a huge environment with grappling hooks? The description for the game mentions, "goal driven gameplay", but nothing about what that means. Is that just referring to speed runs/time trials, or is there actually anything to do?

I've been thinking about it because it's on sale for the next day:
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/windlands

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Tip posted:

I've been on the fence about buying Windlands, I enjoyed exploring the environment in the old DK2 demo but I want more out of an actual game. Is there more to the actual game than just aimlessly wandering a huge environment with grappling hooks? The description for the game mentions, "goal driven gameplay", but nothing about what that means. Is that just referring to speed runs/time trials, or is there actually anything to do?

I've been thinking about it because it's on sale for the next day:
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/windlands
No that's the entire game. I'm not really sure what goals they're referring to, maybe speed runs, maybe collectibles, idk.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Speaking of, I'd like to start an Onward Goon game today, in an hour. (21:00 UK time) Join the Vive Goons discord to join in.
I should be able to make that

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Is Gang Beasts being on the Oculus store new? It was one of the main things when I looked at the home screen while loading up iRacing. I looked around on google and it looks like it was announced a while ago but this thread was made a couple days ago asking about Oculus keys. From that thread, it looks like the developer is trying to get steam owners access to the oculus builds. If that ends up working with the multiplayer, that would be awesome. Hopefully they add rift support to the steam version or send out Oculus keys. I'd rather not have to buy something on Oculus if it's already on steam.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

homeless snail posted:

No that's the entire game. I'm not really sure what goals they're referring to, maybe speed runs, maybe collectibles, idk.

Ah, that's disappointing. I really like the swinging mechanics, would love to see something using it in service of actual gameplay. Need my VR Spiderman game.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i played rec room and hot dogs horseshoes and hand grenades

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

homeless snail posted:

I don't think you've played the game. There's a story involved, and goals to further the story.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Someone mentioned tools that convert games to VR, is that like actual head tracking real VR conversion? That seems like puke city.

I was thinking that anything that supports stereoscopic 3D could potentially be in VR on a giant 3D screen right? Anything do that? That might be kinda cool.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

FuzzySlippers posted:

Someone mentioned tools that convert games to VR, is that like actual head tracking real VR conversion? That seems like puke city.

I was thinking that anything that supports stereoscopic 3D could potentially be in VR on a giant 3D screen right? Anything do that? That might be kinda cool.

vorpx converts essentially any game to 3d but to say its half assed and not very fun would be me being generous

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

FuzzySlippers posted:

Vorpx allows you to play any game on a giant screen and can even convert games into 3d. I used it to play GTA V and it was pretty awesome, although the TV is too big and they don't let you back up far enough to keep it from filling almost the entirety of your vision. I had to set it is as small and far back as I could and then physically move my chair further back in my room to make it less vomit inducing. Doing that is kinda funny though, you end up looking over a couch with a headless body on it to see the screen.

That made it pretty good as far as motion sickness, although I still could not take riding the jet ski over a bunch of waves without having to rip my headset off.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

FuzzySlippers posted:

Yeah, for the most part they can be pretty nauseating unless you have a high tolerance and a beastly computer to run it at 90 fps.

I'm not 100% sure on stereoscopic games, but you can for sure play regular 2d games on Virtual Desktop or Big ScreenVR and get a home theater/imaxed sized screen to play around on! (Though be wary that a 2d game that completely fills your screen could make you motion sick). A smaller screen with some stuff going on behind it (like a fake room) will feel way bigger then an imax screen in an empty void.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

My favorites to play are still Rec Room, Tabletop Simulator and Tiltbrush. Social games and creative experiences are incredible in VR.

For smaller experiences Walt if the Wizard and The Lab are both free and great, and Unseen Diplomacy is really fun if you have the room. Also grab Destinations.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

fenrif posted:

If you want to pretend you're Legolas and get a hell of a workout doing it, there's also Holopoint. It's sort of a more physically active Space Pirate Trainer where you use a bow.

Vanishing Realms is great if you want to be the one actually exploring a dungeon and having swordfights with skeletons, instead of controlling a character doing it.

Tabletop Simulator is, well, you have a table in front of you with board games on top. You can play it conventional style with a mouse and monitor, but being able to actually be there and move pieces with your hands is nice. However it's exclusively multiplayer and if you use VR you need to be using voice chat to communicate for obvious reasons, so great if you can find a group to play with but otherwise kind of lacking.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Cojawfee posted:

Is Gang Beasts being on the Oculus store new? It was one of the main things when I looked at the home screen while loading up iRacing. I looked around on google and it looks like it was announced a while ago but this thread was made a couple days ago asking about Oculus keys. From that thread, it looks like the developer is trying to get steam owners access to the oculus builds. If that ends up working with the multiplayer, that would be awesome. Hopefully they add rift support to the steam version or send out Oculus keys. I'd rather not have to buy something on Oculus if it's already on steam.

Yeah, I think it's only been up on the Oculus store for a few days.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

fenrif posted:

Did you get the free games that come with it? Because Tilt Brush.

If you like Nintendo games or have the patience to set up an emulator, then Metroid Prime in DolphinVR.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Heran Bago posted:

Did you get the free games that come with it? Because Tilt Brush.

If you like Nintendo games or have the patience to set up an emulator, then Metroid Prime in DolphinVR.

Even as far as VR stuff goes DolphinVR is pretty taxing, so you probably want things more on the side of a 980 or 1080 than a 970 to get that to be smooth.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Also Job Simulator is amazing and the only vr game I have finished and enjoyed all the way through

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I want the Mechwarrior 2 in VR. Specifically Mechwarrior 2, with the graphical style of the DOS version.

Or maybe a VR version of that Battletech arcade machine. I just want a decent Mech game, damnit.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
There's Vox Machinae but the last post on the website was in February. The demo on the DK2 was pretty cool.

http://www.voxmachinae.com/index.shtml

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

SwissCM posted:

I want the Mechwarrior 2 in VR. Specifically Mechwarrior 2, with the graphical style of the DOS version.

Or maybe a VR version of that Battletech arcade machine. I just want a decent Mech game, damnit.

That might actually be somewhat easy or at least as easy as anything is in game dev. I'm not sure what they used at the time but it looks like vertex colored low poly though I think they weren't flat shaded and shared vertices rather than what is currently more fashionable in the flat shaded thing. Looking at the screenshots I'm seeing normals aren't sharp on the edges and colors blend on the faces. I've said it in the game dev thread but avoiding textures always makes 3D work so much easier for me. gently caress UV mapping.

If I wasn't in the middle of a side project about exploring caves and actually had a proper headset yet I might jump on that. Just slavishly copy MW2 with all the names filed off. Like gameplay on OG MW2 was just pick a mech, customize weapons, go on missions about following nav points blowing poo poo up right? Of course you'd end up with a small number of missions compared to old DOS games that would always be absolutely crammed with content.

At the time the engine was a marvel but today you can just shrug through the technicals. Especially if you wanted to be lazy about performance as you'd still be at a bazzilion fps on VR capable hardware no matter how much you hosed it up.

Nitis
Mar 22, 2003

Amused? I think not.

Tip posted:

I've been on the fence about buying Windlands, I enjoyed exploring the environment in the old DK2 demo but I want more out of an actual game...

Everytime I see this I think "Dungeon Keeper 2", please tell me I'm right...

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I like MW2:Mercs for the salvage. It also had textures on the mechs for a little more detail, but yeah, that could be really easy to do in VR right now and I'm amazed no one has made a super simple mech game yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I wonder if that long swaying motion they used in the MW games to suggest you are in a big stompy machine would make people ill even if they are stable within but the machine bounced around them. Otherwise it might feel more like you are in a heavily armed hovercraft (psvr battlezone I guess) if there isn't some sense of mech weight.