Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Well, does it have any new locations (like indoor) you get to visit? New vehicles? Or is it just some random outdoor missions except you play as Joe instead of Vito? I liked the gameplay in 2 but I'm not interested if it's too meh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

That's some of the best censorship I've seen in gaming.

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY

blackguy32 posted:

While the open world was barren, the part that really made me realize it is the section in Mafia 2 where the game tells you to raise money, and basically the only way to raise money was by stealing cars and selling them. It seemed like they wanted to give you a variety of things you could do.

I robbed some stores and got the money pretty quick.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Well, does it have any new locations (like indoor) you get to visit? New vehicles? Or is it just some random outdoor missions except you play as Joe instead of Vito? I liked the gameplay in 2 but I'm not interested if it's too meh.

I mean it's an addon with a few new areas I think, and I think it's set during winter so you get snow. It's also a lot of Joe.

As I said, if you liked Mafia 2, it's more Mafia 2. It's not a bad DLC, and if the DLC from Mafia 3 are about that size/scope I'd be pretty happy. It's just not this missing link that people make it out to be, that's removal ruined Mafia 2.

MRA PUA Tay-Tay Fan
Sep 12, 2001
I'm back Bitches

HardKase posted:

I robbed some stores and got the money pretty quick.

For people (re)playing Mafia 2, if you didn't know yet: the auto yard is big enough that Bruski's car respawns when you drive to the gate and back. 5 laps = $2k. This is also a neat trick to be the best armed motherfucker in empire bay since every gun except the modified colt is available for purchase within a 1 min drive of the scrapyard (although split between 2 shops).

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
Can't wait to kill me some klansmen.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Can't wait to kill me some klansmen.

I hope there are klan meetings in the open world sections.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

is this game gonna be good or nah

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

rap music posted:

I dunno, but I'll crunch the numbers here and let's see... if you like the Mafia franchise and want another game that's probably going to mostly be more of the same but with a lot more action where you play as African-American John Rambo then yeah, I guess it'll be good.

The only thing I'm not liking is that the combat AI seems to be just as lovely as ever, maybe even moreso. But it's too soon to call there.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Even if the AI is dumb, if the combat gives you the options that it sounds like it does, the atmosphere is great, and the writing is on point I'm all in.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

maybe. i know this happens

:rms:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Bustin' makes me feel good.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Pre-loading is available, 40.5GB download.

Greenman Gaming have sent out their keys apparently so I just bought the game from them, you get your steamkey on checkout.
Standard Edition: $46.79
Digital Deluxe: $62.57

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

rap music posted:

Probably not.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Accordion Man posted:

Bustin' makes me feel good.

HELL YEAH

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

drunkill posted:

Pre-loading is available, 40.5GB download.

Greenman Gaming have sent out their keys apparently so I just bought the game from them, you get your steamkey on checkout.
Standard Edition: $46.79
Digital Deluxe: $62.57

e: Discount doesn't show until it's in your cart.

haris pilton
Sep 4, 2014
https://youtu.be/CD7VYKN6Nh4

The ai looks terrible at times (especially the guy getting stuck in the doorway near the end)

The background music sent me on a trip down memory lane so it's all good.

haris pilton fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Oct 2, 2016

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

haris pilton posted:

The ai looks terrible at times (especially the guy getting stuck in the doorway near the end)

I recognize most of that footage from gameplay demos, so some of it is hopefully down to the game being on super easy mode.

And not to be 'that YouTube guy is just salty because the game has a black protagonist and talks about racism' but looking at his other videos, yeah, dude is salty because the game has a black protagonist and talks about racism.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Every single thing I saw in that video is either present in multiple other games or the result of what we already knew to be a tacked-on stealth system in an open world crime action game.

The exception being the bad AI which hopefully will be polished out by Tuesday from the E3 builds but who knows. It's almost a back of the box bulletpoint for this series anyway.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

haris pilton posted:

Cool video by "The Donald"

hip check please
Jan 11, 2012

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Incredible avatar-post synergy.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
This is really the only gameolay I've watched but it got me hooked

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=O-06jZZx074

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

hip check please posted:

Incredible avatar-post synergy.

Nice. :hfive:

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!

Apraxin posted:

I recognize most of that footage from gameplay demos, so some of it is hopefully down to the game being on super easy mode.

And not to be 'that YouTube guy is just salty because the game has a black protagonist and talks about racism' but looking at his other videos, yeah, dude is salty because the game has a black protagonist and talks about racism.

Speaking of:

https://8bitdigi.com/2016/10/01/racists-outraged-that-mafia-iii-allows-players-to-kill-klansmen/

:qq: to the loving max

haris pilton
Sep 4, 2014

Great Joe posted:

Cool video by "The Donald"

Video sucks but so does the ai apparently

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

haris pilton posted:

Apart from that guy stuck in the door and enemies having no peripheral vision, I didn't see anything particularly egregious. :confused:

I mean, it's not great and it's very unlikely it's gonna change much come release, but it looks on par with other open world games.

If you buy a steam copy through a third party (a physical store in my case), can you still use Steam's return policy? If so, does your money end up in your Steam wallet?

widunder
May 2, 2002
Any word on when the Mac version is supposed to be coming out?

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
The fact that 2k dropped a serious review embargo coupled with how hard they're pushing this game everywhere else (commercials, email blasts, Internet ads, youtube) makes me think they know they have a buggy pile of poo poo on their hands and are trying to get as many early buys frontloaded before reviews/word-of-mouth kills sales.

haris pilton
Sep 4, 2014
It could also be because they don't want the gaming journalists focusing their articles on the whole racism thing going on.
Likely?

Nah

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
It's stricter than an embargo. Review copies won't be available until the public release date.

My guess is there's a very significant day one patch. Unfortunately the last time we saw that was No Man's Sky.

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016
No review no buy. Learned my lesson with asscreed unity.

See you guys when this goes for $15 on gamefly. Was really looking forward to this. :(

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Doom didn't let reviewers have the game until launch as well

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
I traded in a bunch of games I hadn't play3d in months and got this for 10 bucks so I only really care if the story ends up good and I can gently caress up the klan on demand.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Apraxin posted:

this. the second i saw "the donald" name. it was my guess. yeah the AI is kinda eh, but most open world AI is alot unfortunately. the game honestly looks pretty good apart from that.

haris pilton posted:

It could also be because they don't want the gaming journalists focusing their articles on the whole racism thing going on.
Likely?

Nah

maybe? most will think its a step in the right direction. vice will love it alot(since walker has been writing a bunch of good articles about it) my guess is a few of ths shittier sites wont like it(the verge, killscreen, maybe polygon) there will defintaly be think pieces ranging in quality though. The alt right will definitely get pissy over it especially if it gets good reviews(which it probably will)

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

The fact that 2k dropped a serious review embargo coupled with how hard they're pushing this game everywhere else (commercials, email blasts, Internet ads, youtube) makes me think they know they have a buggy pile of poo poo on their hands and are trying to get as many early buys frontloaded before reviews/word-of-mouth kills sales.

maybe that too. from the various LPs/previews of it, it seems pretty stable and unbuggy apart from your occasional open world meshing bad with mechanics glitch.

lol what a bunch of crybaby jack offs. I expect a ton more of it.

haris pilton
Sep 4, 2014
I refuse to cancel my pre-order..
Come friday we'll see how good/bad/mediocre it will be

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I AM THE TOILET posted:

See you guys when this goes for $15 on gamefly. Was really looking forward to this. :(

LOL source your neogaf quotes

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
All I know is that the first two Mafia games had similar / the same problems and people gave them poo poo. I had enough fun to warrant their purchases, though. This one MAY be different but I've come to expect not-GTA from Mafia so anything in the open world is going to be butts and any of the highly scripted main missions is going to be fun.

And the AI is going to be the worst.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

I AM THE TOILET posted:

A lot of games have no review until launch day now.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Also Unity got pretty good reviews regardless. You know guys I don't think that post has much of a point to be made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I'm very interested in Mafia III but, yeah I'm going to wait for goon impressions more than anything. After what happened with Mafia II and the usual signs of reviews not being allowed until after release with Doom 2016 being the only exception I can think of where the game turned out great regardless, I'm very cautious.

• Locked thread