Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Slickdrac posted:

Trains pick their destination when they leave the station, and do not seem to change their destination even if there are multiple same name stations. They will adjust their path itself to their destination if they are stuck at a blue chain signal for some time. In my present game, I have one drop off point, with a staging area next door with a parking pathway for every train in the network to wait in. Each parking path has a chain signal at the end and is setup similarly, which worked fine up until I got to having 20+ trains in the network, when I added 10 more parking paths. Now I'm getting backup into the rail network and the path switching doesn't at least appear to be happening, possibly because there's too many options for getting into the drop off zone and it doesn't iterate through every option?

Below the parking zone is a single rail with a chain signal and each parking path has a regular signal at the start of it.

So the where exactly are the trains backing up? Before the parking area or once they're in the parking area they won't leave it to go to an empty train platform?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I fiddled around with what TheValentineCrab started yesterday to get the ratios working for liquid metals to plate production. It turns out we don't need much in the way of buildings but the piping is a pain. Each furnace melts ore to 40 liquid a second, the forges turn 25 liquid iron a second into plates. So I got 5 furnaces hooked up to 8 forges with no pipe bottlenecks - 2,300 plates a minute. Pretty nuts but I'll take it. We only really need volume like this for iron and copper but even so, getting enough pipes to everything (more than a dozen metals with alloys) without cocking them up will be amusing.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Ratzap posted:

I fiddled around with what TheValentineCrab started yesterday to get the ratios working for liquid metals to plate production. It turns out we don't need much in the way of buildings but the piping is a pain. Each furnace melts ore to 40 liquid a second, the forges turn 25 liquid iron a second into plates. So I got 5 furnaces hooked up to 8 forges with no pipe bottlenecks - 2,300 plates a minute. Pretty nuts but I'll take it. We only really need volume like this for iron and copper but even so, getting enough pipes to everything (more than a dozen metals with alloys) without cocking them up will be amusing.

2,300 are you even loving making GBS threads me? I guess that answers the question of whether or not all the liquid handling is worth it.

In other news, I found out today that this week was my last 60-hour week for awhile, so I'll be able to sit down and actually put serious time and focus into the production line rebuild and then some expansion after that. In particular I can't shake the feeling that I can make the circuit molding operation work better if I just gently caress around with it some more; access to larger-scale and more rationally planned supplies of liquid metals combined with an understanding of the actual fluid mechanics will probably help.

Also, I am TheValentinesCrab.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

drat, I keep forgetting to use blueprints. I just spent 30 minutes laying out my cracking facilities... Most of that time was the pipe-laying. I could have just blueprinted one small section and mass-produced it wherever I needed it. God drat.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
The point at which I made all my blueprints tileable and modular was when everything opened up for me. Especially with the new blueprint books, if I do something more than once I'll very strongly consider perfecting a blueprint for it.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

LonsomeSon posted:

2,300 are you even loving making GBS threads me? I guess that answers the question of whether or not all the liquid handling is worth it.

In other news, I found out today that this week was my last 60-hour week for awhile, so I'll be able to sit down and actually put serious time and focus into the production line rebuild and then some expansion after that. In particular I can't shake the feeling that I can make the circuit molding operation work better if I just gently caress around with it some more; access to larger-scale and more rationally planned supplies of liquid metals combined with an understanding of the actual fluid mechanics will probably help.

Also, I am TheValentinesCrab.

Ah right, I get mixed up with who's who between the name changes (which is why I'm boring and use the same one most places). Yeah, I kid you not - 2,300 a minute - it fires them out of there like mad. But one mk2 pipe from the tanks can only satisfy 2 forges and it's about 2 1/2 furnaces per pipe full too so the tanks are covered in pipes/pumps. But it works. I'll leave the rebuild to you but will be around over the weekend. Leave notes in the PGS thread or discord if you want me to take care of anything in particular. Oh and watch out with poles around the power blocks, I found a way to fix the chicken/egg problem with the water by segmenting the networks. So poles that bypass the switches will kill it.

FISHMANPET posted:

The point at which I made all my blueprints tileable and modular was when everything opened up for me. Especially with the new blueprint books, if I do something more than once I'll very strongly consider perfecting a blueprint for it.

Same. For Bobs I have various tech levels of blueprint so I can rip something up when it becomes obsolete and drop the new shiny one down.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
It's gotten to the point where I just rush personal roboports just so I can start using blueprints ASAP. Blueprint books + blueprint string makes complex tasks (like oil and blue science) so much easier.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

I start so many new games that a lot of runs, especially if it's just me, I'll cheat in some personal roboports and the bots for them just to avoid the first hour agony. I think there is / was a mod that does something similar called Pocket Bots??

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Looks like Pocket Bots hasn't been updated since Factorio 0.12.

Nullkigan
Jul 3, 2009
You want Arumba's Accelerated Start mod. Gives you a bunch of stuff to skip the burner stage, including a power armour and 50 construction bots for killing forests quickly and doing basic blueprints.

E: corrected the name

Nullkigan fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Sep 24, 2016

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Going Tesla on my main base and plopping down massive Gigajoule Factories. I've got 1.3Gj currently from just 1 and half of a semi-constructed one. No more power issues! I've got my massive Steam Factory facility that is the brunt of my energy-providing needs, but these solar arrays will hopefully offset major power spikes when lasers fire. I've been holding off of using laser turrets in a major way as I knew my electric infrastructure would cave under the pressure. Now I can go crazy and put lasers wherever I want.

Edit: Operation Fortification is underway right now. Building a huge "Great Wall of China"-esque fortification to keep the voracious biter horde at bay, especially since the fuckers are now fully evolved. It's really stressful being 5 minutes out of my base and seeing that a group of them have broken through the paltry emergency-defense layer and are wreaking havoc in my main base.

I'm planning on having a whole line of gun turrets spaced 2 tiles apart from each other all along the wall, followed by a rear defense of laser turrets, one between every two gun turrets. It's a massive undertaking and will take at least 45 minutes to do, as I was massively greedy and carved out a large swathe of land just for myself. It's no joke how large my land is: the biggest factory I've ever built is right in the center, and to get to the outer walls takes a good 45 seconds of driving. The south is protected by a large lake, whilst my North to North-Eastern walls are protected by my faraway mining outposts that draw aggro and prevent any incursions from getting through. The trouble area is my North-west to South-west walls which are severely undergunned and I haven't even set up automatic reloading for the gun turrets.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Sep 24, 2016

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
I made this lovely little factory tonight. I think it's perfectly balanced insofar as once the first level 3 module starts it will continue indefinitely.

To keep it running, however, I'm going to have to basically triple my capacity to build green circuits.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Do Assemblers grab intermediary products from adjacent assemblers? Say I've got 6 assemblers building railways, could I set up stack inserters to insert stone into the first assembler and then have adjacent assemblers grab directly from the main one or do they not do that?

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I'm pretty sure they only pull from the finished product, unlike inserters pulling from boiler to boiler.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Chakan posted:

I'm pretty sure they only pull from the finished product, unlike inserters pulling from boiler to boiler.

Correct, they won't take ingredients and pass them along.

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

I start so many new games that a lot of runs, especially if it's just me, I'll cheat in some personal roboports and the bots for them just to avoid the first hour agony. I think there is / was a mod that does something similar called Pocket Bots??

I'm your opposite then, I quite enjoy the early game these days. I have a modded save called "Burn the world" (which has sadly not been updated in ages) that extends the early part greatly.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Get it while it's hot https://mods.factorio.com/mods/GotLag/Reactors

25.5 MW maximum output per reactor, but beware that reactors also have a minimum output and will make and emergency shutdown if they overheat. Use cooling towers and circuit-controlled pumps to prevent overheating.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I just watched all of Arumba's 6 hour stream. So many dumb things that he and everybody else does. I know there are dumb thing I do too but people in general, wow.

Other fun fact was that Angels Petrol is coming soon.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

M_Gargantua posted:

I just watched all of Arumba's 6 hour stream. So many dumb things that he and everybody else does. I know there are dumb thing I do too but people in general, wow.

Just got a released version on the in-game mod list. Haven't delved into it yet since I just started a new game (again), but from what I've seen it's got a lot of extra gas products and at least one new node on the map. Should be interesting to figure out how it all pieces together.

Nullkigan
Jul 3, 2009
Finished my first game several months and versions ago and put things on hold until a new version. Brought back in by Arumba & Steejo's streams.

Started Angels&Bobs, got to finishing basic circuits and then balked at how hard it was to balance all the outputs of the sorters and grinders, especially without (ideally long-handled) filter inserters.

Started Bobs only and got to the petrochemicals stage before going insane. Presume there's a vent somewhere for the additional gas spill-off but holy poo poo it's bad enough with just ores. Foreman doesn't have a "how do I balance production" option.

I think I will go back to the base game for some relaxation. Do achievements still work with the dev branch? Now that I have a vague idea how to do busses and stuff I might hit the 8 hour launch one.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I was working on rebuilding my smelting when I had a sudden, terrible idea to not use any belts and do the entire thing with logistic robots. My logic being, it's scalable and much more space efficient.

It was a very, very bad idea, but god dammit I'm going to make it work :argh: 4k logistic robots aren't enough to handle everything, and I still haven't laid enough smelters to meet demand. And that's just for iron and steel, I still need to do copper.

I realized after a while that the reason 4k logistic bots weren't enough was because there was too much of a queue at roboports to recharge. I quadrupled my roboports and while it's much better, it still isn't enough. However, the power drain now is just straight up retarded and I need to address that before anything else.

All those little bots running around in such a small space is quite the sight though, which is the second biggest reason I want to make it work. The first reason being the scalability. It's trivial to add stone smelting to the same system or increase capability, all I need to do is drop more smelters and maybe an extra train station if it's needed.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Sep 25, 2016

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Don't the logistic bot problems prove it isn't actually that scalable?

Scalable is a blueprint that is exactly as long as what it takes to fill a yellow or red or blue belt and pasting them in parallel.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I have just realised that 2 red belts for my main bus that transports copper + iron (2 belts for each, so 4 total) is hugely inadequate. Electric circuits don't reach the bottom of the bus fast enough, copper doesn't stay saturated. I've got about 200 smelters each for copper and iron, yet it can't keep two red belts fully saturated?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
only 200 smelters? what a n00b

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Loopoo posted:

I have just realised that 2 red belts for my main bus that transports copper + iron (2 belts for each, so 4 total) is hugely inadequate. Electric circuits don't reach the bottom of the bus fast enough, copper doesn't stay saturated. I've got about 200 smelters each for copper and iron, yet it can't keep two red belts fully saturated?
You should be more than saturating the inlet even with stone furnaces, you probably even have idle furnaces. You're probably hitting bandwidth limits since you are limited to red belt bandwidth and probably have some splitters that are taking the full 50% cut. Time to upgrade to extra lanes or blue belts.

E. Phone posting to spreadsheet it but back of the envelope is that each red belt is about 46 smelters without modules so check the log jam isn't also the smelting area when increasing bus bandwidth.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Sep 25, 2016

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

M_Gargantua posted:

I have a 0.13 save with Angels but couldn't update it because he's not going to keep doing the processing mod (it's being turned into smelting). I started a new save with all the Angels stuff a couple of days ago when the petrochem mod transitioned to beta. It has a lot of new things in it and good graphics (I think Youki has done them for him again). If he can stop breaking saves and settle down on a set of mods this will make a good long term play.

Nullkigan posted:

Finished my first game several months and versions ago and put things on hold until a new version. Brought back in by Arumba & Steejo's streams.

Started Angels&Bobs, got to finishing basic circuits and then balked at how hard it was to balance all the outputs of the sorters and grinders, especially without (ideally long-handled) filter inserters.

Started Bobs only and got to the petrochemicals stage before going insane. Presume there's a vent somewhere for the additional gas spill-off but holy poo poo it's bad enough with just ores. Foreman doesn't have a "how do I balance production" option.

I think I will go back to the base game for some relaxation. Do achievements still work with the dev branch? Now that I have a vague idea how to do busses and stuff I might hit the 8 hour launch one.

Going from stock to angels&Bobs is like going from an airfix model to a morgan kit car. Just setting up all the processes takes ages, balancing them is downright impossible, the authors even say so. With circuit networks, fluid void, void chest and the gas vent in bobs you can set things up to dump the extraneous waste. Leave space though so if you find a use for it later you can remove the dump and ship it out. Basically you picked one of the spergiest options possible to try out, so yeah, that's going to be a steep curve.

Yes, achievements work in the dev branch and count to steam if they meet the other requirements.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

zedprime posted:

You should be more than saturating the inlet even with stone furnaces, you probably even have idle furnaces. You're probably hitting bandwidth limits since you are limited to red belt bandwidth and probably have some splitters that are taking the full 50% cut. Time to upgrade to extra lanes or blue belts.

E. Phone posting to spreadsheet it but back of the envelope is that each red belt is about 46 smelters without modules so check the log jam isn't also the smelting area when increasing bus bandwidth.

I've got smelters idling, it's most definitely just belt bandwidth being reached. I'll just have to upgrade to blue I guess. I can't increase belt size to four as I have no room to do it without completely tearing up all my other belts that feed about 70 other assemblers making me stuff.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

zedprime posted:

Don't the logistic bot problems prove it isn't actually that scalable?

Scalable is a blueprint that is exactly as long as what it takes to fill a yellow or red or blue belt and pasting them in parallel.

You still have to manage your belts though. Originally I had 8 saturated belts feeding smelters and I really wasn't looking forward to figuring out a way I can add to that since 8 belts is unwieldy enough. Instead I can just slap down more smelters as needed and not have to worry about the logistics of getting ore into them and plates out. If my stations are backed up I can add more loading and unloading areas in 2 minutes. The power problem is solved through slamming down more solar panels which is totally my jam.

And hey, if I'm wrong and it doesn't work out, I'll just refactorio it. Again. I like doing silly things.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
The solution I find works best for any bot-rekated problem is to automate roboport production and triple the number of them you have out. Failing that, more research works well.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I've updated to the latest experimental build 0.14.9 and for some reason I can't seem to get vehicle grids. Maybe I'm being dumb and I'm not even doing the right thing, but I see no tab that allows me to access a vehicle's grid to add stuff like solar panels, personal roboports etc.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Loopoo posted:

I've updated to the latest experimental build 0.14.9 and for some reason I can't seem to get vehicle grids. Maybe I'm being dumb and I'm not even doing the right thing, but I see no tab that allows me to access a vehicle's grid to add stuff like solar panels, personal roboports etc.

That's a feature for mods, vanilla vehicles don't have equipment grids, at least not yet.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

SinineSiil posted:

That's a feature for mods, vanilla vehicles don't have equipment grids, at least not yet.

Quite. Bobs released him first pass at vehicle grids yesterday but I've not had a chance to look at it. He does say however that the armoured train gets double the grid space of the mk3. Which makes sense and gives a reason to build the armoured locomotive other than spam out mk3s.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comments/54csz9/when_you_gotta_know_at_a_glance/

http://i.imgur.com/x0A3X5w.gifv

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Without venturing into Reddit has anybody worked with using combinators for derivatives? I suspect there's a more streamlined way to get a rate of change than brute forcing it.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4OyMCr7J18

Where can I go to learn about how to use combinators and all that? I'd love to set up little light sections that show me the volume of certain goods / power level of my factories / resources left in an ore field etc. etc. It'd be badass having a small HQ where I could see which outposts need tearing down and which resources need another outpost set up to keep volume up.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

M_Gargantua posted:

Without venturing into Reddit has anybody worked with using combinators for derivatives? I suspect there's a more streamlined way to get a rate of change than brute forcing it.

I'm not sure what you mean by "brute forcing it" but I think the easiest way would be numerical approximation, i.e. get the value, latch it, get the new value, check the difference.

A better question might be: what do you want to use derivatives for and is there an easier way to do the same thing?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

M_Gargantua posted:

I dicked around around when the current patch was in beta and got rate of change over time, its as simple as a timer set up and a memory combinator that resets when the timer times out. Then you can compare current to remembered. Or else make a couple memory cells reset at different timings to compare epoch to epoch.

If you want instantaneous rate of change there is voodoo with like 2 or 3 combinators or something where you signal delay it by one tick by running it through a dummy addition combinator with +0 or whatever and back into the delta combinator.

e. Looking back at my post history this might count as brute forcing it but its an example of the former. The latter is about as simple as it sounds but might need some dicking around because I never understood circuit reckoning enough to understand signal propagation tricks.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Sep 25, 2016

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Loopoo posted:

Where can I go to learn about how to use combinators and all that? I'd love to set up little light sections that show me the volume of certain goods / power level of my factories / resources left in an ore field etc. etc. It'd be badass having a small HQ where I could see which outposts need tearing down and which resources need another outpost set up to keep volume up.

To be honest, the easiest way to see which outposts need tearing down (that is, which fields are almost depleted) would be a mod like YARM. In my experience, circuits don't scale that well. You'd have to stretch the network all the way from your base to the outpost, and I'm not sure that even a mod like FLAN would help there.
But you could use a sign like that to check that you're getting enough ore and producing enough plates, for example. You'd have to have a good idea of what your upper limit was ("how much ore do I need to satisfy my factory?") in order to calibrate the sign. To check the plate output, you could use something like that to check how saturated your belts are.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

How spergy is the angel ores mod? I'm watching Arumba play and it looks hideously complex and I kinda wanna get back into Factorio with it.

Also what's a good map gen setup that ensures lots of water and narrow passageways?

Picer
Mar 25, 2004

Other peoples ignorance puts food on my table.

Loopoo posted:

I mean, that's cool and all, just not Rick Roll cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kry8lbrHjeY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Demiurge4 posted:

How spergy is the angel ores mod? I'm watching Arumba play and it looks hideously complex and I kinda wanna get back into Factorio with it.

Also what's a good map gen setup that ensures lots of water and narrow passageways?

Eh that was answered earlier this page (sort of) but anyway, it's possibly tied with Dytech (or a shade under it) for spergtasticness at this point in time. He has more planned though that will take the crown and then some. Do not start an Angels game expecting to update between versions and keep building the same save. He regularly rejigs things and tells everyone to suck it up and start fresh. I read his dev thread and he's talking about more changes soon. This is the main reason I'm not playing an Angels game right now, it'll be broken again in a short time.

There is a mod for that: https://mods.factorio.com/mods/erst/water-maze

It's 0.13 though but you can probably get away with changing the json to 0.14 and have it work if you must use the beta client.