Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012

Xander B Coolridge posted:

drat it feels SO satisfying to make good reads on an opponent. I'm hardly a "good" competitive battler but I just caused a ragequit via wifi up against a pretty intimidating team.

I tend to roll with my favorites like Ninetales and Quagsire rather than the typical Thunderus/Amoongus/MegaKang teams but I managed to read pretty much every play this guy made.

I can vouch that watching YouTubers has made me a better player

Though stat wise those pokemon are weaker, if you know your opponents possible plays its easy to out play them. I've won matches over wifi against some crazy teams with my all bug team. With Leavanny, Galvantula, Scolipede, Crustle, Escavalier, and Venomoth some folks didn't know what to expect. Quiver Dance baton pass and bam! deadzo.

edit: I'm also been working on (for a very long time now bc of the lack of time) a cat team. Meowstic M, Luxray, Persian, Sylveon/Umbreon (can't recall), Pyroar, mega-absol

cancerianmoth fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Sep 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

The Infinity Pokemon team is awesome.

I had an Articuno named Freezer in Red version because I was watching subtitled episodes of DBZ. Didn't find out Articuno's Japanese name until like ten years later.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Wasn't there an entire youtube channel dedicated to winning wi-fi with stupid things like a magikarp via baton pass? Might've been from gen 4. Most people who play pokemon don't actually know how boosts work and why they might want to have something to stop them from happening.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Showers will forever be my favorite japanese equivalent name.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

Decus posted:

Wasn't there an entire youtube channel dedicated to winning wi-fi with stupid things like a magikarp via baton pass? Might've been from gen 4. Most people who play pokemon don't actually know how boosts work and why they might want to have something to stop them from happening.

Pimpnite does sweeps like this, along with theme teams consisting of various pokemon. Maybe he's who you were thinking of?

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
Pimpnite is who inspired me to play the way I do. I'm not gonna be winning any tournaments soon but his videos showcase that you can have fun and make good plays with just about any Pokémon.

I also learned that you can tailor any given Pokémon for a specific role on your team. I just recently bred a Ninetales that acts as a pretty decent defensive wall after Assault Vest and max HP/D investment. Still playing with it but I'm impressed so far.

Xander B Coolridge fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Sep 25, 2016

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Ka0 posted:

Showers will forever be my favorite japanese equivalent name.

Blacky

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

HoneyBoy posted:

Apologize

Nobody make fun of my shybug.

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell
I named my Crustle Minecraft.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
Klastos the Crustle is a powerful friend in my current run of X.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Lysandre just killed my Tentacruel and Meganium with critical hits. X/Y is actually hard when you turn off exp share. I've never lost so many pokemon on a Nuzlocke before.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Internet Kraken posted:

I really like Dwebble a lot but Crustle is pretty drat ugly.

Excuse you please don't insult Crustle she is cool and good and my friend.

HoneyBoy posted:

Apologize

It's okay the mean bad opinion person can't hurt you Crustle.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

Lysandre just killed my Tentacruel and Meganium with critical hits. X/Y is actually hard when you turn off exp share. I've never lost so many pokemon on a Nuzlocke before.

Have you gotten to the point where you become so underlevelled that REPELS stop working? XY was the first game in the series where that happened to me, it was very frustrating.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Crosspeice posted:

Have you gotten to the point where you become so underlevelled that REPELS stop working? XY was the first game in the series where that happened to me, it was very frustrating.

I had no idea repels even worked this way.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

They've always only protected you from pokemon of lower level than your lead.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Nephzinho posted:

They've always only protected you from pokemon of lower level than your lead.

To be fair, it's highly likely that he's never had to use a Repel enough to need to learn their mechanics. I know I've only used them once in a blue moon. Which is more than any X-item likely sees use.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I name many of my Pokemon after Megaman X and Zero bosses.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Toxic Seahorse and Storm Eagle

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

who gets the honor of boomer kuwanger

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

In BW2 you can use the way they work to ensure eevee encounters. I'm sure there are other places you can use them to force rare encounters--probably dugtrio in diglett cave--but that one sticks out to me. It's a boring option for nuzlockes and kind of defeats the purpose but for regular play it's nifty.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Geostomp posted:

To be fair, it's highly likely that he's never had to use a Repel enough to need to learn their mechanics. I know I've only used them once in a blue moon.

how do these people exist

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Ruggington posted:

how do these people exist

one step at a time

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Crosspeice posted:

did...did you turn off the EXP share?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Manatee Cannon posted:

who gets the honor of boomer kuwanger

Bisharp obs.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Doing a Nuzlocke of Y because I feel that I haven't been fare to gen 6 ever since ORAS came out and I got bored of it.

In the glittering cave and I think i was too nice with Y. Selection of 'mons is good but it doesn't save the overtly simple design that clashes with terrible stuff like the big city with its constant forced camera changes, the forced shantae side-mission, how weak your main rival is despite the build up and how riding pokemon is used so rarely and it sucks on this first time with the rhyhorn. Like, if it's not actively bad like those things then you're just going on corridors, sometimes the corridors are at an over-the-back camera angle. Still not, like, stop playing levels of bad or anything, but certainly not high in my favorites list.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Spatula City posted:

did...did you turn off the EXP share?

Since the start, picked 6 Pokemon that weren't particularly amazing, including Simipour, Avalugg and Dragalge. Siebold's Clawitzer could basically 2HKO my entire team with its super effective coverage. Most difficult single player campaign I've ever done, Revival Herbs are amazing, kids. :cool:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
The single great travesty is that Mimikyu will not have lots of different Pokecostumes to wear.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Pureauthor posted:

The single great travesty is that Mimikyu will not have lots of different Pokecostumes to wear.

Wait until Star Version.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

That's a funny way to spell pinsir.

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell
I never use the exp share. Just doesn't feel right. Its like a nanny for my pokemon, I'll raise em my drat self!!

I have lost many pokemon during this nuzlocke yes

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

not using exp share is very tedious and I don't miss that about pokemon at all

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
It makes you stupidly overly leveled though. If the game was actually balanced properly around using it I'd never turn it off, but if I'm gonna do a gimmick run to make the game harder it'd be counterproductive to keep exp share on.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I just swapped things out constantly and it was super fun. I ended up at about the same level as the npcs by cycling through 2-3 teams worth of pokemon and it let me try a bunch of cool stuff that I wouldn't have been able to otherwise

I'm not here expecting it to be hard anyway. I've never had trouble with pokemon, even when I was in grade school. it's just not that game and I don't expect it to be

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Sep 26, 2016

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

HopperUK posted:

What's the nickname you guys are most proud of? I end up naming mine after characters in TV shows I'm watching most of the time but some people are a lot more clever than that.

Probably Baloney the Stunfisk and BARENJAGER the Snorlax. Oh and my close personal friend Max B the Empoleon.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I wish that you could set how many Pokemon in your team benefited from the Exp Share. So you could have all 6 benefiting from it, or just the 1, or even 3. That would be the best way and it would stop people moaning about how leaving the Exp Share on trivializes the game. I agree Gen 6 isn't balanced for either keeping it on or keeping it off and it's not like the series was difficult to begin with, so it's a tricky balance.

The difficulty settings were a good step, but typical Game Freak wanted to add some extra steps to it to add "connectivity between players" and ballsed it up, as per usual.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

all they need to do is raise the levels of the ai trainer pokemon to follow your level curve. naturally ending up at level 90 for the elite 4 is badass and they should just expect that that's what level you'll be at

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

HopperUK posted:

What's the nickname you guys are most proud of? I end up naming mine after characters in TV shows I'm watching most of the time but some people are a lot more clever than that.

Tonight I had the idea to name my Vaporeon "Adama" because it fracks (like the mining thing) everything. Later, I realized that the name wasn't bringing me any joy so I went back and named it "AQUADOG!".

These kinds of impulses have led to my team of:
"A'Tuin" the Torterra
"Girlface" the Staraptor (the first one I caught was male and named "Starface", but it was Modest
"Jessica" the Lopunny
"AQUADOG!" the Vaporeon
"Lucky Boy" the Luxray and
"Shave Me" the female Bibarel

Proud might not be the right word...

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009
My kid has already named about half of hers the same as Arino did. Not sure if that's good or bad, tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I wouldn't have used exp share for my nuzlocke run but it would have been super tedious leveling up new guys when one died.
I tried that rule where I can't use Amie or Super Training and the one where I can't have pokemon leveled past the next gym leader or champion.

Maybe if exp share didn't also give out EVs or would that make it worse?