Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The US system seems pretty lovely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Andrast posted:

If you're a criminal, yeah.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

oldpainless posted:

If you're a poor, yeah.

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx
Like very nation on the planet has a parole system. Its a good thing.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

TheLightPurges posted:

I wasn't really criticizing the existence of parole systems. Here in Finland barely anyone is actually in prison for their whole sentence.

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice

TheLightPurges posted:

They are on parole. They are not released from prison. Thats why they can set basically whatever conditions they'd like and you are legally required to do it otherwise you can just finish out your sentence the normal way. I think you have a fundamental misunderstanding of what parole is.

Someone is not serving their time and then once that's done having to pay to stay out of jail.

Seriously, they are still literally prisoners. Instead of tax dollars fully funding the parole system, the prisoners on it partially fund by direct taxation. It is not a hard concept. This is literally the same concept as national parks. Federal taxes from everyone partially pay for operations indirectly but visitors pay directly through entrance fees. It is common practice to fund government programs through direct and indirect taxation/contributions.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

My buddy got out on parole after 8 years in prison and is doing pretty well as far as I know. I hope he doesn't have to deal with any of this poo poo though. He deserves to be out and with his family.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem
Another lovely thing about parole is I believe you have a billion check up meetings with your parole officer during business hours. I don't think employers are too happy when you have to leave at 1pm every week.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Bum the Sad posted:

Another lovely thing about parole is I believe you have a billion check up meetings with your parole officer during business hours. I don't think employers are too happy when you have to leave at 1pm every week.

From personal experience, once a week. You can schedule those around your work, usually.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

TheLightPurges posted:

They are on parole. They are not released from prison. Thats why they can set basically whatever conditions they'd like and you are legally required to do it otherwise you can just finish out your sentence the normal way. I think you have a fundamental misunderstanding of what parole is.

Someone is not serving their time and then once that's done having to pay to stay out of jail.

I know very well what parole is. The issue I and drat near everyone else have is that "having to pay to stay out of jail" is totally hosed up.

TheLightPurges posted:

Not a single person in this thread is criticising the existence of parole. What is being criticised is how the US implements it and how incredibly punitive it is to the poor.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
What I don't get though is how they're making money off this, if the majority of people affected by having to pay for their parole can't pay and are stuffed back in prison.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Because it's not about making money. It's not about justice. It's about punishing black people the poor criminals.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Nitrox posted:

From personal experience, once a week. You can schedule those around your work, usually.

Even if you work a 9-5, M-F?

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Bum the Sad posted:

Unless you're so stupid as to not inform your employer that you're on parole, they're generally willing to work with you on checking in if you can't manage to do that on the weekend for good reason.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

Panfilo posted:

What I don't get though is how they're making money off this, if the majority of people affected by having to pay for their parole can't pay and are stuffed back in prison.

The government isn't making money. Politicians get fat donations to their reelection campaign from basically every industry with a vested interest in making money off incarceration (cop/prison guard unions, etc). loving lmao if you think the average American politician gives half a sloppy wet fart about the people their policies effect when it's reelection time, the coffers are running low, and lobbyists start knocking on the door.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Sounds like elections are the real issue

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Bum the Sad posted:

Yes. Visit parole office at 8 am, arrive to work at 9:15. Not a problem

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Bored and watching C-SPAN today Watching Senate committees ripping apart CEOs of Wells Fargo and Mylan as they try to excuse indefensible business practices isn't exactly exciting, but it sure is fun. The best part of the Stumpf one is Elizabeth Warren at the end, she asks why they didn't fire Tolstedt rather than letting her retire, and why he won't ask the board to revoke her eligibility for 2016 performance bonuses, and ends up telling him he should resign because he's apparently not doing anything as chariman of the board.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?415547-1/ceo-john-stumpf-testifies-unauthorized-wells-fargo-accounts
https://www.c-span.org/video/?415549-1/mylan-inc-ceo-heather-bresch-testifies-epipen-price-increases

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Nitrox posted:

Yes. Visit parole office at 8 am, arrive to work at 9:15. Not a problem

Lol if you think the average PO is that helpful.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Once a month I had to take off work and drive 20 minutes away, wait 30 minutes to be called to see him and then get asked

1. Did you make a payment?

2. Are you breaking any laws?

Literally 30 second meetings with him that I used my lunch hour for.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

GWBBQ posted:

Bored and watching C-SPAN today Watching Senate committees ripping apart CEOs of Wells Fargo and Mylan as they try to excuse indefensible business practices isn't exactly exciting, but it sure is fun. The best part of the Stumpf one is Elizabeth Warren at the end, she asks why they didn't fire Tolstedt rather than letting her retire, and why he won't ask the board to revoke her eligibility for 2016 performance bonuses, and ends up telling him he should resign because he's apparently not doing anything as chariman of the board.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?415547-1/ceo-john-stumpf-testifies-unauthorized-wells-fargo-accounts
https://www.c-span.org/video/?415549-1/mylan-inc-ceo-heather-bresch-testifies-epipen-price-increases

to be fair the mylan one is defensible because the fda allows it to happen. as a matter of fact if it was against the law it wouldnt be a senate committee, it would be a courtroom and a criminal trial

fun reading:

https://thinksteroids.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/vince-mcmahon-interview.pdf

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

oldpainless posted:

Once a month I had to take off work and drive 20 minutes away, wait 30 minutes to be called to see him and then get asked

1. Did you make a payment?

2. Are you breaking any laws?

Literally 30 second meetings with him that I used my lunch hour for.

more like oldlunchless

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

im pooping! posted:

to be fair the mylan one is defensible because the fda allows it to happen. as a matter of fact if it was against the law it wouldnt be a senate committee, it would be a courtroom and a criminal trial

fun reading:

https://thinksteroids.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/vince-mcmahon-interview.pdf
I meant ethically, not legally

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

china bot posted:

more like oldlunchless

:golfclap:

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

GWBBQ posted:

After seeing so many committees like this rip apart CEOs and basically forget about it a couple days later, I can't help but feel the schad is on us.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

They're taking the tough line on Big Banking! Really sticking it to those fat cats! Finally, someone that is standing up for the little guy.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

CaptBushido
Mar 24, 2004

Aerdan posted:

Unless you're so stupid as to not inform your employer that you're on parole, they're generally willing to work with you on checking in if you can't manage to do that on the weekend for good reason.

Jesus Christ, you people are deliberately naive. I know from direct experience from knowing a person working a job for a state government, in which their hours are set in stone, 8-5, and they have to use their vacation hours every single time they have to go to their parole officer. If they run out of hours? Written up, at risk of termination, which is a violation of parole. (leaving alone the fact that they can now basically never take an actual vacation because they're using it all for their parole appointments). The parole officer does NOT work with them, gives them appointments based on their own personal schedule and NOT that of the parolee and frequently gives incorrect information about the place and date and time in which they should check in. It's loving bullshit, and you're part of the problem if you think it's all fine.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

maybe u shouldnt associate with CRIMINALS

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

im pooping! posted:

maybe u shouldnt associate with CRIMINALS

Yes but if working for the government is your only option what can you do?

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
http://i.imgur.com/UP2xuyJ.gifv

edit : wrong link

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

lol if you expect the government to not be heartless af. I was assuming, y'know, a situation wherein the employer/boss was a human being.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

CaptBushido posted:

Jesus Christ, you people are deliberately naive. I know from direct experience from knowing a person working a job for a state government, in which their hours are set in stone, 8-5, and they have to use their vacation hours every single time they have to go to their parole officer. If they run out of hours? Written up, at risk of termination, which is a violation of parole. (leaving alone the fact that they can now basically never take an actual vacation because they're using it all for their parole appointments). The parole officer does NOT work with them, gives them appointments based on their own personal schedule and NOT that of the parolee and frequently gives incorrect information about the place and date and time in which they should check in. It's loving bullshit, and you're part of the problem if you think it's all fine.

Glad you ignored the several goons that posted who actually were on probation and said it was nothing like this.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
it's almost like parole circumstances vary based on jurisdiction and poo poo

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Andrast posted:

Hey now, in plenty of places in the US, paying fees isn't just what you do to stay out on parole; you also have to pay fees for remaining behind bars :911:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

#NotAllUnitedStates

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

How's about you go back and actually read some of those posts before pitching a fit that we aren't getting all up in arms with you, mmkay, skippy?
It's true that there are parole officers who are out specifically to dick over parolees and make their life miserable, because gently caress You For Criming.
It is also true that there are parole officers who are actually human and are willing to work with the parolees to make sure that they can do what they need to do. These two sentences are both true. The fact that rear end in a top hat officers exist does not negate the fact that the good ones exist. What, exactly, are you getting at, captain?

Malachite_Dragon has a new favorite as of 05:04 on Sep 26, 2016

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
E: Not the place for this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KloC60eR_4

Fail Army video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Beautiful.

Dunno where this is, but based on the tropical vegetation and red earth his response was appropriate.