Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Grouchio posted:

Is that a good or a bad thing?

Trump has been working the refs, and if anything the media is obliging in bending to pressure from the right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indigofreak
Jul 30, 2013

:siren:BAD POSTER ALERT!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

woke wedding drone posted:

This is what it's all about for you isn't it? You feel no sense of responsibility to others. You hope that others will shoulder the burdens you don't want to take up, but it's only a vague hope, and only to keep up appearances.

The only person you actually care about is yourself.

I mean really, what are you going to do? Let the homeless sleep in every available space and run a soup kitchen out of your house? Are you telling me right now your couch always has a homeless person crashing there while they get back on their feet?

hahahaha

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Despite falling directly in the center of their target demographic (very left wing, very online), I have found every clip of The Young Turks to be unwatchable and bizarrely asinine.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Indigofreak posted:

I mean really, what are you going to do?
pay taxes

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Grouchio posted:

Feel free to :derp:. Unless Trump totally loses his poo poo it'll probably be seen as a draw at best. I'm hoping to be proven wrong.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Neeksy posted:

So Jimmy Dore is not just an idiot but somehow a popular idiot? Are all TYT dumb like him or is he uniquely thick?

The Young Turks are a spectrum of ok to bad with variation as to the order based on the issue discussed. Their main problem is that they're so sure of their own righteousness that they only pay lip service to the idea that they could be wrong, and are thus blind to being super loving wrong a decent amount of the time.

For instance as late as New York they still were pushing the idea that Bernie could win, because mathematically it was possible.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Dore is a sheltered accelerationist moron and anybody defending him needs to listen to that interview he had with Seder

TYT don't put much value on being well-grounded or able to explain your viewpoint on things, so Dore fits right in. Maybe they were good in the past but Bernie broke their brains and now they've disappeared into the woods of the fringe left hugbox

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Just based on that one debate I never want to listen to TYT, because if your answer to "what if your plan to vote for Trump and then filibuster his nominee for four years is defeated by a simple parliamentary maneuver that Obama used just two years ago to get his nominees in" is "well what if the moon crashes into the earth" then you have nothing worth listening to.

Wait hey Indigofreak are you literally Jimmy Dore, because "we can never know if Bush was a bad choice I mean what if Gore suicide-bombed Lieberman and someone else started a nuclear war" kinda gives it away.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Can someone explain to me why having a law restricting the sale of adult games to minors is a 1st Amendment issue or a terrible thing now that I am an adult? Since this is something most major retailers already do, I can only assume the problem is in legislating it?

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Grouchio posted:

I don't think it will matter that much. I mean Bill O'Reilly is an "independent" and between the two of them I'm pretty sure I know who I'd prefer moderating. Between him and Chris "Most Punchable Face On Television" Wallace though, there does seem to be some bias in choosing the moderators - Anderson Cooper notwithstanding.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

GalacticAcid posted:

Despite falling directly in the center of their target demographic (very left wing, very online), I have found every clip of The Young Turks to be unwatchable and bizarrely asinine.

They're smug douches that's why.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Epic High Five posted:

Dore is a sheltered accelerationist moron and anybody defending him needs to listen to that interview he had with Seder

TYT don't put much value on being well-grounded or able to explain your viewpoint on things, so Dore fits right in. Maybe they were good in the past but Bernie broke their brains and now they've disappeared into the woods of the fringe left hugbox

No, they've always been far more interested in feeling right while pretending to base their actions/rhetoric on facts. Bernie just happened to be the jumping off point where it was obvious to most people. They also have a ridiculously inflated view of their importance and largely are talking up how THEY will hold Hillary's feet to the fire to justify voting for her when they aren't agreeing that she's not really better than a Republican.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
E: you know, that was probably being too much of a dick and I don't want to do that

Levitate fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Sep 26, 2016

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

DrNutt posted:

Can someone explain to me why having a law restricting the sale of adult games to minors is a 1st Amendment issue or a terrible thing now that I am an adult? Since this is something most major retailers already do, I can only assume the problem is in legislating it?

It was actually ruled unconstitutional in Brown v. Entertainment Merchants Association, though the case was ruling on a California law that was much broader in scope and reserved the right to subvert the ESRB and impose its own ratings in application of that law. But that was a law pushed by Sen. Leland Yee, a certifiable idiot (and now a certifiable inmate =D)

The one that Clinton introduced was much more narrowly tailored to simply fine people for selling games rated by the ESRB. Regardless, since in the US no other media is treated like that, it was a pretty slam-dunk case to overturn that law. Interestingly, her push for an FTC investigation probably helped the ESA in its later 1st Amendment case since it completely proved the ratings system was working.

I used to work at a Best Buy in the mid-2000s and sometime after Hot Coffee they actually implemented a policy where the register would lock up anytime an M-rated game went through it. Only the games though - if a 12 year old showed up with an R-Rated film, I had no obligation to ID him, but I did for Grand Theft Auto.

Indigofreak
Jul 30, 2013

Levitate posted:

So you can't do things to help people because it's just too much but the one thing that would be easy to do and help the most people you won't do because suddenly your own personal ideals are the most important thing ever and you need them affirmed by your voting for s garbage candidate who can't win or do anything or help anyone?

Is this how you guys absolve yourselves of all the poo poo that goes on the world? You vote? Because you are certainly acting like it's the ultimate thing. Let's be real here. It's marking a box. It's not feeding the homeless. Sure she might pass legislation that feeds homeless people, but really that legislation is carried out by an entire country.

You are really delusional about how much a single vote matters. Dial it back a tad.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Indigofreak posted:

Is this how you guys absolve yourselves of all the poo poo that goes on the world? You vote? Because you are certainly acting like it's the ultimate thing. Let's be real here. It's marking a box. It's not feeding the homeless. Sure she might pass legislation that feeds homeless people, but really that legislation is carried out by an entire country.

You are really delusional about how much a single vote matters. Dial it back a tad.

A single vote killed Jesus so it's actually very potent.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Indigofreak posted:

I mean really, what are you going to do? Let the homeless sleep in every available space and run a soup kitchen out of your house? Are you telling me right now your couch always has a homeless person crashing there while they get back on their feet?

hahahaha

No I go to work at the homeless shelter where I receive a salary paid for by state, federal and city grants and contracts

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

What I've never understood about accelerationists is that the philosophy NEVER applies to anything personal to them. Like, the solution to rent going up isn't to stop paying it apparently. An alternator goes out and they don't blow up their car.

It's like it's only good if they know the cost will only be shouldered by those already poo poo upon most in society. Once it's their own asses on the line welp let's just sit down and think about this for a sec maybe incrementalism isn't so bad!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Voting is literally the least you can do.

Volunteer at a homeless shelter after you vote if you want to do more, but the only reason Republicans haven't successfully abolished food stamps is Obama vetoed it. If you, out of apathy, let Republicans take $70 billion in food aid away from poor people, and then you personally put $10 in the collection plate, then you are directly working against your own goal of helping the poor.

I'd also say that unless you personally save 4,000 American lives then your vote for Bush is a net negative but you think Gore would have nuked the world for funsies so :shrug:

hydroceramics
Jan 8, 2014
I'm a couple pages back in reading as I post this, but I think indigofreak might be from the Oculus dude's shitpost superpac.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Bassetking posted:

Hi there once more.

So, yeah. I'm just about as left as they come. I'm about three inches away from "Seize the means of production." I voted for Bernie. I volunteered, too. Manned some phone banks for 'im.

I'm doing that for Hillary now.

I'm working out of a basket of burners in a Panera Bread, because that's what the local DNC office has.

If we seem far apart?

It's because you have been offered the opportunity to pretend that your choices and actions don't matter.

Whereas I live in a battleground state.

I don't have the luxury of sitting back, and deciding that "Well, I don't much like either candidate. I'm free not to vote!"

And you are.

You. Are.

But there's a bunch of us who aren't.

Who have to hold our noses, and vote.

Because we could literally die if we don't.

Do you begin to see how that might engender some degree of animosity towards your stance, and approaches, in this thread?

So yes.

Given that the ACA has been sworn to be removed "Root and Branch", I kind of have to vote for her, If I want to do everything I can to not end up homeless, or dead.

A few pages back, but I could've typed this word for word. The ACA is the only thing stopping me from abandoning my dreams to work a job I hate to get insurance that might still be decent at best, and a life of misery and bankruptcy at worst.

Given that a repeal of the ACA may very well include some of the GOP's terrible ideas proposed as "alternatives", I'm pretty certain it would be the latter.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Indigofreak posted:

hahahaha

You do know there's a midpoint between "do nothing because it all sucks" and "Literally sacrifice everything." I donate my time and money wherever I can and do anything reasonably expectable to do so. I could probably do more but "I could do more without burning myself out" is a question. Voting isn't a great difficulty for a lot of people and the people who it is difficult for are people who we should be helping to make it easier for.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Epic High Five posted:

What I've never understood about accelerationists is that the philosophy NEVER applies to anything personal to them. Like, the solution to rent going up isn't to stop paying it apparently. An alternator goes out and they don't blow up their car.

It's like it's only good if they know the cost will only be shouldered by those already poo poo upon most in society. Once it's their own asses on the line welp let's just sit down and think about this for a sec maybe incrementalism isn't so bad!

At least I can respect bomb-throwing anarchists for putting their views into practice instead of spitefully voting for a more and more brutal police state to punish minorities for not picking Bernie when they had the chance and telling themselves "this'll learn em to vote my way next time"

Indigofreak
Jul 30, 2013

No I go to work at the homeless shelter where I receive a salary paid for by state, federal and city grants and contracts

Why in the hell do you think I don't care about anyone or somehow I do nothing for others just because I dislike Hillary enough to not vote for her, and don't walk around constantly outraged because everything in America is somehow connected to someone getting poo poo on? The leaps of logic. I swear to god. Remembering why I come here so little. Wade through the poo poo posting from 40 people to find the 2 people that aren't bat poo poo crazy.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?

Indigofreak posted:

"That legislation" doesn't just happen no matter who wins. Jesus.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

The Maroon Hawk posted:

A few pages back, but I could've typed this word for word. The ACA is the only thing stopping me from abandoning my dreams to work a job I hate to get insurance that might still be decent at best, and a life of misery and bankruptcy at worst.

Given that a repeal of the ACA may very well include some of the GOP's terrible ideas proposed as "alternatives", I'm pretty certain it would be the latter.
Yeah but - volunteering, man; that's what's really going to make the difference, not this voting, haha. Get a grip!

Indigofreak you remind me of all this poo poo I've heard about how millenials have allegedly been programmed to think that "only local/community stuff matters, at all, national stuff will always be a shitshow."

e: gently caress I just realized why the right wing loves the idea of volunteering as a panacea so much. It's free labor! There's nothing the right wing loves more than uncompensated labor!

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Indigofreak posted:

Why in the hell do you think I don't care about anyone or somehow I do nothing for others just because I dislike Hillary enough to not vote for her, and don't walk around constantly outraged because everything in America is somehow connected to someone getting poo poo on? The leaps of logic. I swear to god. Remembering why I come here so little. Wade through the poo poo posting from 40 people to find the 2 people that aren't bat poo poo crazy.

It's not a leap in logic, you spelled it out over multiple posts. You're indifferent to homeless people in the street, and you can't be bothered to participate in even the most effortless forms of community to help them.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Does someone have the "this is why CLinton's email thing is a non-issue, as told by someone who worked with classified info" post from awhile back? I think it was from a goon's dad or something. Need it for someone who is still insisting every dumb thing possible about it is bad and she's evil. Though the guy might be too far down the hole to save regardless.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Indigofreak posted:

Why in the hell do you think I don't care about anyone or somehow I do nothing for others just because I dislike Hillary enough to not vote for her

Because you can't come up with a good justification for it besides 'my vote doesn't matter" and even admit that you'd vote for her if you thought it did.

But you care enough about it to make lengthy posts trying to justify your position on a message board. Completely unironically, unless you live in a really lovely area with bad polling places, it has already taken you more time and effort to argue "I won't vote for her because my vote doesn't matter" then it would actually take you to vote.

The reason I'm arguing this with you is that I genuinely think you let yourself get suckered by a lot of propaganda and you're doing the thing of twisting yourself into knots trying to justify it. I've talked to a lot of Bernie voters in the same position where they're not opposed to Clinton, they're opposed to the Clinton boogieman built up by the GOP and people bitter their candidate lost and buying deeper and deeper into "Hillary Clinton is Literally Satan" stuff. You're even doing the "my single vote doesn't matter so it isn't a big deal" thing which tends to be a retreat done by them when they're confronted with the fact that they don't have a lot of good reasons for not voting.

If I genuinely thought you were just a troll I'd have given up already but mostly you just sound like a lot of guys I know, some of whom realized it and some of whom are still angrily throwing away their right to vote in a meaningless protest.

Indigofreak
Jul 30, 2013

It's not a leap in logic, you spelled it out over multiple posts. You're indifferent to homeless people in the street, and you can't be bothered to participate in even the most effortless forms of community to help them.

Find where I said that I'm indifferent to homeless on the street. Go ahead, that post isn't edited. Oh wait you're putting words in my mouth. Later nerd.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

The point is awarded to WWD, you'll see a nice little bonus in the Soros check.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Indigofreak posted:

I just have to stop caring or completely shut down as a human being. It's the same thing that allows people to walk past homeless on the street.

?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Everyone who sees that one vidya gaemes single-issue voter and laughs, understand that if you are pro-gun, that is literally what you look like to the rest of us: a whiny arrested-development baby going ":cry: don't take my toyyyyyys!"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

He means on a daily basis. If you live in the city (like I do), you will basically have to deal with the fact that you will be forced to walk by a homeless person and can't do anything for them at that moment despite how lovely it feels.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Indigofreak posted:

Find where I said that I'm indifferent to homeless on the street. Go ahead, that post isn't edited. Oh wait you're putting words in my mouth. Later nerd.

Indigofreak posted:

That's how you can look at it I guess? But, I only have so much 'moral outrage', and when I need to drive a car to get to work. Or eat food, I just have to stop caring or completely shut down as a human being. It's the same thing that allows people to walk past homeless on the street. You can only do so much. And casting a vote is a lot easier than not buying a car, or computer, or clothes, or the head of lettuce. I don't subscribe to your everything or nothing moral lens.

You tried to say that what you feel inside, others feel. Maybe they do, but the truth is that your own indifference shines forth brighter than anyone else's.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

ImpAtom posted:

He means on a daily basis. If you live in the city (like I do), you will basically have to deal with the fact that you will be forced to walk by a homeless person and can't do anything for them at that moment despite how lovely it feels.

Well, it sounds like you're saying you do care about them and feel bad when you pass them (because you know you can't help them), and he's saying he doesn't care about them.

I also walk by homeless people on a daily basis, but I still care about them some (admittedly) small amount, certainly enough to vote for things I think might help them. Seeing them regularly hasn't made me any more indifferent to them than I was before.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
It's… almost as if, maybe, collectively as a society it is easier to help the disadvantaged than to expect individuals to sacrifice their entire being to attempt the same only with less efficiency or agency to fix the blind spots of our society!

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Everyone who sees that one vidya gaemes single-issue voter and laughs, understand that if you are pro-gun, that is literally what you look like to the rest of us: a whiny arrested-development baby going ":cry: don't take my toyyyyyys!"

All single issue voters are like that.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Neeksy posted:

It's… almost as if, maybe, collectively as a society it is easier to help the disadvantaged than to expect individuals to sacrifice their entire being to attempt the same only with less efficiency or agency to fix the blind spots of our society!

Functionally if you express sympathy, while actively loving them over it also pretty much works the same way. The homeless, poor, and youth don't vote enough for their interests to matter after all.

"They deserve it for not turning out for mid-terms."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

I'm pro-gun but I am still voting for Hillary, what now?

• Locked thread