Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I really don't understand how people can play QP. Played two matches just now, first had two genjis and a widow on my team and we got rolled. Second had our Genji idling on top of a street light spamming "hello!" while the enemy team failed at doing an all-genji team aside from their D'va who sat behind us at our spawn and legit got mad if people attacked her instead of dancing around spamming emotes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
D.va feels like she compete so against Winston for the same purpose and Winston just owns

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Qp is the idiot mode that you should be encouraged to gently caress around in and have fun. Keep that fun poo poo out of my comp games though

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Verranicus posted:

I really don't understand how people can play QP. Played two matches just now, first had two genjis and a widow on my team and we got rolled. Second had our Genji idling on top of a street light spamming "hello!" while the enemy team failed at doing an all-genji team aside from their D'va who sat behind us at our spawn and legit got mad if people attacked her instead of dancing around spamming emotes.

Reminder: this is the torbjörn talking

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Shout out to the pharah guide the other day. I've stopped letting other people play DPS and started rocking pharah regularly and I'm up to 1900 from 1600 and it just keeps going. Using concussive blast as a horizontal jump jet owns

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
dva is the best hero but zarya murders her and I always underestimate how far away I have to run to not get taken out by that lazer

If they don't have a zarya, then I just win anyway

If they have a zarya, I need a rein to block and then I'm fine

If they have a zarya and nobody will play rein I'll tell them 'plz kill zarya' and if that doesn't happen, I switch, because a good zarya ruins my day

but yeah, dva (played well) is awesomely great

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Kashuno posted:

Shout out to the pharah guide the other day. I've stopped letting other people play DPS and started rocking pharah regularly and I'm up to 1900 from 1600 and it just keeps going. Using concussive blast as a horizontal jump jet owns
Thanks, I'm glad it helped!

I'm keeping a living copy here on Google drive and updating it as I learn more and play more.

I'm watching the Overwatch Open right now and Pharah is starting to see some play in tournament levels for certain sections of maps--so far she seems to be a common pick for attacking on point A of Eichenwald. I've been taking notes for anything I missed with the guide or techniques I haven't used yet and I'm going to add a teamwork and "soft skills" section soon.

I'm going to switch gears soon and start learning Tracer and Reaper. I like flanking characters. :)

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Qp is the idiot mode that you should be encouraged to gently caress around in and have fun. Keep that fun poo poo out of my comp games though

I treat QP as the next step up from 6 Ana's aim practice. As in literally the only reason I'm there is to practice my aim on targets that are sometimes slightly more intelligent than AI.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
So I picked tracer on a KOTH map and my entire team starting whining at me about how tracer is terrible on koth and that no one ever plays her on that. They got really salty in a comp game about this. I'm pretty sure she's good on koth, right?

This is at 2200-ish rank

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
What is the counter for Zarya? I main DVa and I'm thinking I should pick up Zarya's counter since I'm very tired of feeling useless and switching to something sub-optimal just to stop myself from dying.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Papercut posted:

I treat QP as the next step up from 6 Ana's aim practice. As in literally the only reason I'm there is to practice my aim on targets that are sometimes slightly more intelligent than AI.

why use 6 ana's anyway? lucio is harder to kill (and thus better to practice your aim on), deals less damage, and stacks passive heals that you don't have to worry about ai failing to use. turn the health up and damage down and they're pretty much invincible

you can keep koth going forever in overtime like this

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Naerasa posted:

What is the counter for Zarya? I main DVa and I'm thinking I should pick up Zarya's counter since I'm very tired of feeling useless and switching to something sub-optimal just to stop myself from dying.

The only counter to zarya is the rest of your team not ignoring her

For some reason nobody ever tries to focus her down

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

why use 6 ana's anyway? lucio is harder to kill (and thus better to practice your aim on), deals less damage, and stacks passive heals that you don't have to worry about ai failing to use. turn the health up and damage down and they're pretty much invincible

I do both, I don't know. Practice head shots on Ana and tracking on Lucio.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

why not just try to headshot the lucio, he moves faster and is thus harder to hit

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Found this pretty good Reaper name in comp yesterday.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Naerasa posted:

Reaper

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
I'm learning a lot from drinking and watching overwatchopen:

Ult management is the most important thing in the game. Running away and jumping off cliffs to deny charge is a thing. Staggering enemy spawns by delaying the last kill is too, especially against a short ranged hero who can't farm ult off of you while you toy with them.

No one focuses Lucio in teamfights nor should they. His passive self healing and is slipperiness with the speed boost makes him the tankiest non-tank in the game, and he has the lowest dps in the game. Kill him last.

Reaper is the best target for Nanoboost in the game. Everything about it is synergistic: the damage reduction plus souls keeps him from being interrupted by dying. The speed boost cancels out the speed reduction–Lucio boost does this too. The damage boost makes the ult do so much damage that it oneshots supports in less than a second and outdamages their ults. 255/second for 3 seconds cuts through Sound Barrier and demotes Transcendence to more of an Amped Up heal aura, and the Ana can negate that anyway. Regular guns do 210 on a body meatshot every half a second. That's more damage twice as fast as a Genji slash and dash on a single target. Even if you beat the ult combo (usually requires a tank ult, Dva doesn't count) he wrecks everyone with just a speedboost and his guns.

For example, there was a game where they started the ult combo with Reaper on 53hp. He ults on the team, quickly gets Roadhog hooked, maybe got a shot off, then gets Reinhardt charged. Then he got sleeped, but between the heals and the focus he was drawing he and his team had killed everyone. It's no-win: you deal with him, his team kills everyone; you don't deal with him, he kills everyone.

The Pharah Mercy combo works because people aren't running McCree and Zenyatta together. One is not enough. Pharah is godlike on the first two points of Eichenwald, King's Row, and Numbani. Doing a high up damage boosted ult is not that bad because all the hitscan weapons you'll see have damage falloff (because no one plays Widowmaker).

Ana comps have a much weaker backline than Lucio Zen, who can speed boost away, knockback, and kill divers. Tracer uniquely hoses them by beating speed boost and knockback with her multiple mobility skills and having effectively 250ish HP and a cleanse. Ana's dot makes reactive Recalls easier.

Reinhardt is pretty mandatory.

Zarya is near mandatory. She has hitscan and aoe, has the best ult in the game, and the shields are OP burst heals that overheal, block all burst damage as long as any remains, and that cleanse debuffs. Remember when they had to nerf Symmetra shields? This is worse. The self buff gives her the same HP as the fattest hero Roadhog... it's an incredibly overloaded skill. Rocket jumping makes up for her lack of a mobility skill. She's every role in one hero. Kill her first: you need to stop her from building ult and using her shields more than once a fight. As her, just stay alive.

Dva doesn't work at all and Roadhog is hard to make work because of the above. So is Reinhardt charge. If there is no Zarya go ahead with it though.

Hanzo works because of the above, and because he and Zen or Ana can put damage out at range like no other combo (you wouldn't run Zen and Ana.) Picks on the first point before ults come up then the Graviton Dragonstrike combo on the second point snowballs the game.

Mei is good. I don't play her at all so I don't really know how beyond ult and wall.

Because I can't help myself–Sombra speculation:

They do stacking damage over time. that'd keep enemies from regenning their shields for a long time and shred armor like Zarya beam.

Shift is noclip–like a dva boost that goes through geometry–that causes nearby enemy heroes to say the detection line within some radius and a visual indicator some smaller radius. If they go underground they'll have a Bugs Bunny tunnel looking thing. It has a fuel mechanic like jump jets, and emptying the fuel starts to cause self damage. However, they have shield hp, and will regen the damage if it's less than the shields hp of course. They can't attack during noclip.

Left click is fast melee, maybe a thrust will less of an arc. Right click is a ranged attack that pierces enemies.

E is dot stack detonation.

Ult is speedboosted noclip that lets you attack, that makes attacks inflict max stacks.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

if you turn on head-shot only mode you become invincible against Ana. Also she has a frustratingly small head-hitbox which can be a small challenge to hit consistently.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Sarrisan posted:

if you turn on head-shot only mode you become invincible against Ana. Also she has a frustratingly small head-hitbox which can be a small challenge to hit consistently.

I don't think it's the tiny head hitbox. It's that hunch she's got. If you are any angle below zero degrees, her head is hidden behind her Igor shoulders.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

slydingdoor posted:

Because I can't help myself–Sombra speculation:

They do stacking damage over time. that'd keep enemies from regenning their shields for a long time and shred armor like Zarya beam.

Shift is noclip–like a dva boost that goes through geometry–that causes nearby enemy heroes to say the detection line within some radius and a visual indicator some smaller radius. If they go underground they'll have a Bugs Bunny tunnel looking thing. It has a fuel mechanic like jump jets, and emptying the fuel starts to cause self damage. However, they have shield hp, and will regen the damage if it's less than the shields hp of course. They can't attack during noclip.

Left click is fast melee, maybe a thrust will less of an arc. Right click is a ranged attack that pierces enemies.

E is dot stack detonation.

Ult is speedboosted noclip that lets you attack, that makes attacks inflict max stacks.

Stooooop.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
That's not speculation that's just making dumb fantasy stuff up that you'll inevitably disappoint yourself with when the actual stuff comes out.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

RBX posted:

Reaper

Reaper is very good at killing zarya, unless the zarya is hyper charged and knows where the reaper is

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Overbite posted:

So I picked tracer on a KOTH map and my entire team starting whining at me about how tracer is terrible on koth and that no one ever plays her on that. They got really salty in a comp game about this. I'm pretty sure she's good on koth, right?

This is at 2200-ish rank

tracer has nearly a 100% pick rate on KOTH in pro games, she's indispensable

your team is full of morons

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Kashuno posted:

D.va feels like she compete so against Winston for the same purpose and Winston just owns

slightly late response but dva feels like a much riskier winston with higher potential

higher dps main weapon but has to aim

defense matrix can straight up remove ults but is in general weaker than barrier

nyoom is more controllable but goes less distance than jump

her ult can wipe entire teams but can also just be completely useless, whereas winston ult generally won't single handedly wipe a team but will almost always have somewhat of an impact

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

tracer has nearly a 100% pick rate on KOTH in pro games, she's indispensable

your team is full of morons

yea tracer's awesome. hell, tracer's great on most maps even. she's really good

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

bonewitch posted:

defense matrix can straight up remove ults but is in general weaker than barrier

How so? Winston's bubble has an 8 second cooldown and only blocks 600hp of damage.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Cirofren posted:

How so? Winston's bubble has an 8 second cooldown and only blocks 600hp of damage.

they're used for completely different things. defense matrix as a pushing tool is utterly inferior to reinhardt's barrier and it's worse than winston's barrier for getting in deep and causing a distraction because you can't shoot and zarya exists

winston's bubble can also nullify the d.va bomb entirely but d.va can't do much with primal rage

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Naerasa posted:

Reaper is the one character who just absolutely does not give a poo poo about Zarya's charge or bubble. Bubbled at 100 charge? He doesn't care. gently caress you!! You're going to be dead! I'm Reaper, over here!

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The amount of times I've plopped a barrier on an enemy ult and saved my team as Winston makes up for the times I've leapt off a cliff I'm sure

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Cirofren posted:

It's 360° and with proper placement can completely nullify the enemy dps for 8 secomds. Defense matrix can only shut down a small area in front of D.va, but is much more powerful in that area.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Being able to swoop in and poop out a barrier in front of my team is really handy. The fact that you don't have to babysit it while you go around zapping folks makes Winston super flexible. You can clog up a hallway to save your support and then immediately go off to help your DPS put out a bit more damage. Winston is basically the fireman.

Idia
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Naerasa posted:

As someone who used Zarya a lot my main annoying heroes are Genji, Tracer, Winston and Reaper. Hunt her down when her shield is down easy kill.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Gimnbo posted:

Being able to swoop in and poop out a barrier in front of my team is really handy. The fact that you don't have to babysit it while you go around zapping folks makes Winston super flexible. You can clog up a hallway to save your support and then immediately go off to help your DPS put out a bit more damage. Winston is basically the fireman.

Also at low level/quick play you troll the gently caress out of their bastion by jumping in from the side and planting a bubble over him, lighting him up, juking around the shield, and then skedaddling as soon as your leap is back up. If he switches to feetmode just push in for the kill.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

realtalk symmetra's turret cooldown should be like 3 seconds

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
duplicate legendaries for heroes you dont play >:c

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Zarya is so ridiculously good please embrace me in your powerful arms my Russian maiden

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I'm really glad to hear they're planning, even distantly, on reworking Symmetra.

I think it's been shown that sometimes a character only needs a little nudge to become a powerhouse, and a new E ability with some actual oomph and strategy could really turn her around.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I just had a series of king of the hill battles where we lost the first two badly because we only had one tank and they weren't very good. I was Zenyatta (as usual) so it took a bit of communication to get someone else to pick up a healer and I switched to D.Va, the only tank I'm remotely good at.

And it worked! Even though I'm far from the best, I was carrying the team and we had it 99% to 0% easily.

And then someone on the other side switched to Zarya.

That was the end of that game. Feels bad being so completely shut down by a single character.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Eiba posted:

I just had a series of king of the hill battles where we lost the first two badly because we only had one tank and they weren't very good. I was Zenyatta (as usual) so it took a bit of communication to get someone else to pick up a healer and I switched to D.Va, the only tank I'm remotely good at.

And it worked! Even though I'm far from the best, I was carrying the team and we had it 99% to 0% easily.

And then someone on the other side switched to Zarya.

That was the end of that game. Feels bad being so completely shut down by a single character.

As someone who plays a lot of D.Va on the one hand I agree but on the other hand Zarya dies to Reaper much like any other tank, and in my experience it's not terribly hard to convince someone to play Reaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

To be quite frank, a lot of the time I see enemy Zaryas that just don't do a good enough job to convince me to stop being D.Va. I will switch if they actually give me trouble, but if they're farting around a low charge all the time I don't really care.