Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

VoidBurger posted:

Year of the Ladybug has a pitch trailer which includes some new, intensely stupid monster concepts drawn gorgeously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdSjAwlf0Qo

A punchline for me is: "We wanted to bring something positive to the horror game industry," followed by this image.

quote:

A full story that was completed before anything else.

How many idea guys are working on this game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

1stGear posted:

How many idea guys are working on this game
I'm under the impression that it's exclusively idea guys (one who is a concept artist for games, though.)

I just think that if I were a concept art teacher, I would give this guy a C or something. He's incredibly talented at rendering but god, so many of the ideas are trying soooo hard or are just laughable instead of scary. It's like a highschooler's ideas for Silent Hill monsters. It's just cringey for me??

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I kind of get the feeling like this is one of those horror games where the lead developer has an intense fear of one very specific thing (messed up heads, I guess) and it comes out in everything that they make because it is what is scary to -them-. It's still creepy in a general sense, but doesn't really ring the same bell with everyone else.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

oh do watch the video, the monster designs are lovingly dumb. my fav is the one voidburger linked and also the unicycle nancy

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
year of the ladybug should get a patreon.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

VoidBurger posted:

I'm under the impression that it's exclusively idea guys (one who is a concept artist for games, though.)

I just think that if I were a concept art teacher, I would give this guy a C or something. He's incredibly talented at rendering but god, so many of the ideas are trying soooo hard or are just laughable instead of scary. It's like a highschooler's ideas for Silent Hill monsters. It's just cringey for me??

Not even the first time I've seen "Guy with spider-legs made out of women" as a monster concept, and it was better then too. (One of the bad guys from Condemned 2, I think). Still pretty iffy either way.

I've definitely seen way better body horror than this.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Speedball posted:

Not even the first time I've seen "Guy with spider-legs made out of women" as a monster concept, and it was better then too. (One of the bad guys from Condemned 2, I think). Still pretty iffy either way.

There was one in the suffering 2 too

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The powerful symbolism of a man with a bonsai tree for a head.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

unpacked robinhood posted:

There was one in the suffering 2 too

gently caress, that's what I meant. Cheese for brains tonight.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

VoidBurger posted:

Year of the Ladybug has a pitch trailer which includes some new, intensely stupid monster concepts drawn gorgeously.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdSjAwlf0Qo

A punchline for me is: "We wanted to bring something positive to the horror game industry," followed by this image.

"Something positive" is having a very masculine muscle monster controlling clearly all-female victims, also lets make sure to really arch her spine so her rear end sticks out in the stick figure. Isn't that spooky? Cringe is an understatement, oi vey.

Did anyone see the Arrival in Hell remake got greenlit? Their Kickstarter isn't going too well though.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
My grotty, piss stained kickstarter

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Speedball posted:

i have too, and i agree its not the greatest, but it's pretty unsettling still and i'm down for it as an idea

ive got a weird fear of razors and whatnot so seeing the dudes finger get pencil-sharpened is really unnerving for me

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

CharlestonJew posted:

My grotty, piss stained kickstarter

Grotty, Piss Stained Head

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
Man that monster design just screams controversial, I mean there is really no way to defend that.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
I feel like it's not quite that bad; admittedly, it's pretty on the drat nose about it's imagery but I feel more of a '14 year old aping sh2' vibe from it. It's not exactly portraying any of the parties involved in a positive light, at least.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

VoidBurger posted:

Are we sure the entire team just isn't perfectly preserved Silent Hill turbo nerds fresh from/still in high school? HALL OF FISH HEADS PUZZLE IDEA! WEIRD BOX CUTTER IN GAME ART. NURSES AND BUG TONGUES! We thought up the story ahead of time, so it isn't just a bunch of weird pictures.

Maybe these guy(s?) should make this a horror text game if they're so proud of their story. It isn't like that could be significantly easier on their end to make, be slightly different potentially and put their name out there as a group that can do something.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
It was like that with the Silent Hill comics too from what I remember. Like a gang of street punks end up in Silent Hill, meet Pyramid Head NATURALLY and ultimately end up with a military cache's worth of uzi's and AK's moving down crap nurse rip-offs.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
They should have a patreon to sell the art

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Mind you, a lot of people on my Facebook have been talking about it and saying how creepy and craaaazy it is. So maybe we're just a bunch of deranged lunatics who have been desensitised.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Drunken Baker posted:

It was like that with the Silent Hill comics too from what I remember. Like a gang of street punks end up in Silent Hill, meet Pyramid Head NATURALLY and ultimately end up with a military cache's worth of uzi's and AK's moving down crap nurse rip-offs.

Dear god I completely forgot those existed. Somewhere between the teenager death cults and the Punk Army they went completely insane.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Drunken Baker posted:

Mind you, a lot of people on my Facebook have been talking about it and saying how creepy and craaaazy it is. So maybe we're just a bunch of deranged lunatics who have been desensitised.

I think it looks pretty great. People like to find things to be offended by.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Sounds like you're offended by people who think it looks spooky I guess?

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Improbable Lobster posted:

Sounds like you're offended by people who think it looks spooky I guess?

No, I think it looks very spooky and I enjoy how it looks :confused:

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

I mean, it doesn't look /horrible/ and for all we know if it was made into an actual game it'd be great, but it doesn't change the fact that the monster design is 99% one single gimmick applied in like 30 different ways, and that the monsters people have been talking about liking the most are all the ones that didn't follow that gimmick, like the pooping butt monster.

SpookBus
Aug 22, 2015
I'll probably play it assuming the gameplay isn't too poo poo, I'm pretty into "way over the top, look how hosed up this is guys" monster design, ranging from The Suffering having dudes with needles for eyes and a monster that's a firing squad, to "This man has a tree for a head and a head for a tree(!!!)", it looks dumb and great and good.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I wasn't saying anyone was offended by it. Just saying for as many people there are who don't think it looks scary there are people who are really freaked out by it. :)

edit:
To be fair whilst none of it seems spooky in the slightest I do like the floating people. I'm a fan of casual floaters (fnar fnar) like the ghosts in Silent Hill 4, so there is that.

Drunken Baker fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Sep 28, 2016

al-azad
May 28, 2009

When I think of "messed up head enemies" my mind now snaps to the uh crystal zombies(?) in Metal Gear Survive and that's not something I want to associate anything with ever.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

So how did nightcry end up? Worth the cash?

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Sea Sponge Run posted:

Reeeeally terrible. Like, godawful. In every conceivable way.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Sea Sponge Run posted:

I enjoyed it, but don't get it unless you love the clock tower games.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
I'm looking for a recommendation for October scary game series to go through. My choices at the moment are:

Silent Hill 2-4. I've finished SH1 and 2 but haven't done 3 and only watched the into to 4.

Fatal Frame 1-2: I quit FF1 at the hangman part because I got scared, and I ran out of film.

Amnesia: I don't know anything about these but I've heard good things about dark descent and machine for pigs

Any recommendations would be super helpful.

Siren: I don't know anything about this.

The evil within: I got this cheap. I've heard mixed things at best

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Play Amnesia. If you like Amnesia then play Soma. If you're still hungry for more then play Penumbra which is that company's first game about a decade back so it's rough but still playable.

Machine for Pigs is a different direction from Amnesia, some liked it more but majority seems to think it's inferior.

Add Alien Isolation to that list. It'll inevitably be on sale for cheap in October.

If you have PS4 then Until Dawn is good.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Silent Hill 3 and both the Fatal Frame games, imo they're some of my favourite horror stuff of all time. FF1 is pretty unforgiving in places though and tough to play.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
In terms of series, the dead space series would be a pretty good one to go straight through, especially if you know a sucker friend who'd co-op the third one with you.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Oscar Wild posted:

I'm looking for a recommendation for October scary game series to go through. My choices at the moment are:

Silent Hill 2-4. I've finished SH1 and 2 but haven't done 3 and only watched the into to 4.

Fatal Frame 1-2: I quit FF1 at the hangman part because I got scared, and I ran out of film.

Amnesia: I don't know anything about these but I've heard good things about dark descent and machine for pigs

I assume you have a console, so redboxing Until Dawn and Soma are solid choices, as well at the Resident Evil REmake.

Machine for Pigs is completely different to Amnesia 1 and it kind of overwrought and bad, so grain of salt. Layers of Fear might be better if you want walking sims.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
the ps3 Siren (Blood Curse?) is very good and worth it. its stealth in that if you get seen, you can often only defend yourself by running and hiding. there are a few gun parts but the shibito never die and will resurrect after a few seconds. the older siren games are tough to play imo

Silent Hills 2-4 are good, the Fatal Frames 1-3 are good, alien isolation is good, i usually try to do a playthrough of RE2-4 during october as well

condemned 1 and 2 up to a certain point is okay

if you haven't played it and don't mind a bit of jank, dark corners of the earth is a good lovecraftian game

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
NightCry ended up like an incredibly goodbad b-movie. Ridiculous and not scary. Here's a stream I was on of it, some pretty funny poo poo happened.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FgT4pov3s4

A. Beaverhausen posted:

It just looks stupid and tryhard, mate. Don't attribute to OFFENSE(!!) that which is adequately explained by boredom of clichés.

When I see monsters like that, I think of a Deviantartist who played Silent Hill 2 maybe 10 years ago and is misremembering just how many titties were really on those monsters. And "Everyone loves PyramidHead! Better incorporate "head is actually an odd object" into 90% of my monster concepts!" It's just cliché conceptually, taking something that was once new and exciting conceptually and recycling it because, hey, it was successful in that other game.

Oscar Wild posted:

I'm biased but Silent Hill 3 is a real good spooky time after the first two levels, imo. Silent Hill 4 is the scariest one for me, but it's a pain in the rear end gameplay-wise.
Amnesia is a pretty nerve-wracking one too (for me, at least). The sequel, A Machine for Pigs was way less scary to me though?? The enemies were kinda cute. :3:
The Evil Within I might skip if I were you. It was more frustrating than scary, and has pretty annoying storytelling (as in, I played 13 hours of it and had no idea what the plot was, ended up quitting cuz I just plain didn't care about anything going on in it :( )

Additional Recommendations (some are franchises, some not):
SOMA: Good, ambient, very few jump scares. A good time.
Until Dawn: The funnest time I've had with jump scares (which I normally loving hate.) A really interesting story/experience with some genuinely scary bits.
Dead Space 1-2: I consider the Dead Spaces to be action games with horror themes, but they're pretty dang fun, honestly. Not very scary, has only a few "good" or frightening jumpscare moments.
Dead Space 3: Only ironically, to laugh at it in a b-movie way.
Resident Evil 5, 6, Revelations 1 + 2: Generally really fun action games with horror veneers. Revelations 2's co-op was actually extremely fun for me. Resi 6 was dumb as hell but still mostly a fun time (I only played it co-op though. Ada's campaign was still awful.)

I don't have much of an opinion/experience with the others, but I've heard good things about them.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
If you're up for horror/horror themed adventure games Fran Bow, Scratches, the Gabriel Knights, and Walking Dead Season 1 are all real good.

I've also heard good things about the Dark Falls and The Lost Crown, though I haven't really gotten to playing my Steam copies yet. (Though I did play some of Dark Fall 1 and it actually managed to creep me out.)

Not scary, but the Blackwell series would be still really good to shotgun during October.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Accordion Man posted:

If you're up for horror/horror themed adventure games Fran Bow, Scratches, the Gabriel Knights, and Walking Dead Season 1 are all real good.

I've also heard good things about the Dark Falls and The oast Crown, though I haven't really gotten to playing my Steam copies yet. (Though I did play some of Dark Fall 1 and it actually managed to creep me out.)

Not scary, but the Blackwell series would be still really good to shotgun during October.

this reminded me, story based horror game The Cat Lady is extremely good with a very weird, interesting art style

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Thanks, I'm going to start with amnesia, and then work through silent hill. Fatal Frame can slip to November or december.

For silent Hill 2 I've done the water and leave endings. I'm playing on a "new" version so should I go for the maria ending or just do the water ending again?

Is there a preferred ending to SH3?