Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It's just people rubbing their butts against each other.

There was eskimo gnome titties in the gnome book sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

DarkCrawler posted:

I had no idea there were so many Smith Smith Jones's in the UK!
Smith-Smith-Jones is the most common British surname, but for the UK as a whole it's Smith-Wilson-Jones-Smith.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Smith-Smith-Jones is the most common British surname, but for the UK as a whole it's Smith-Wilson-Jones-Smith.

Smith-Wilson-Jones-Smith, pronounced Smythe.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Of course. The Smith-Wilson-Jones- is silent, and the i is extra loud to compensate.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

The Sin of Onan posted:

I had no idea Cyprus was part of Turkey.

Turkey seems to think it is. The position of Turkey during the invasion was that Cyprus was a geographical extension of Anatolia, and thus game for being ethnically cleansed for Glorious Turk

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Cyprus is geographically part of Anatolia, which also suffers from Turkish invasion

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

First do a map of a rainforest Sahara. It would be a million times cheaper.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Arglebargle III posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qattara_Depression_Project

"The proposals call for a large canal or tunnel being excavated of about 55 to 80 kilometres (34 to 50 mi) depending on the route chosen to the Mediterranean Sea to bring seawater into the area. Or otherwise a 320 kilometre (200 mile) pipeline north-east to the freshwater Nile River at Rosetta. For comparison, the nearby Suez Canal is currently 193 kilometres in length. By balancing the inflow and evaporation the lake level can be held constant. Several proposed lake levels are -70, -60, -50 and -20 m. Flooding the depression to -20 m would lower the height of the world ocean by 2.16 milimeters."

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Sounds like a cool and excellent salt bowl disaster.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Arglebargle III posted:

Sounds like a cool and excellent salt bowl disaster.

My thoughts exactly.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
All you'd need to do would be to add some desalination plants between the Mediterranean and this new lake, roughly equal to the total global capacity of desalination plants in 2013.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

icantfindaname posted:

Turkey seems to think it is. The position of Turkey during the invasion was that Cyprus was a geographical extension of Anatolia, and thus game for being ethnically cleansed for Glorious Turk

When I was in Greece I saw an ouzo named "Enosis" and that's basically the most Greek thing I ever have seen.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

I thought Russia was trying to move away from that, and Belarus kept them as a matter of pride, or is that the other way around? I definitely remember seeing a separate patronym box on a form for something from Belarus.

I'm pretty sure Russia uses both patronyms and last names and has for quite a while.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
I'm pretty sure blank just means "no data" and not "no name above some threshold". Tunisia has surname patterns identical to the rest of North Aftica (and most of Europe) and it's blank too.

Though this also seems like one of those maps that probably uses a lot of made up data. I somehow doubt there are great, comprehensive, and searchable databases of names in DR Congo or etc.

E: I'm sure there's a list of voters, but many countries aren't exactly going to make aggregate demographic data available to some dude making a map using Internet research. Maybe I'm wrong! I didn't look into it at all.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Sep 25, 2016

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Arglebargle III posted:

MIght kill rainforest Amazon while you're at it.

http://www.nasa.gov/content/goddard/nasa-satellite-reveals-how-much-saharan-dust-feeds-amazon-s-plants

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Elukka posted:

MIght kill rainforest Amazon while you're at it.

No problem, that's currently work in progress.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

steinrokkan posted:

No problem, that's currently work in progress.

We've got artificial lungs for people, why not for the planet?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Powered Descent posted:

"The proposals call for a large canal or tunnel being excavated of about 55 to 80 kilometres (34 to 50 mi) depending on the route chosen to the Mediterranean Sea to bring seawater into the area. Or otherwise a 320 kilometre (200 mile) pipeline north-east to the freshwater Nile River at Rosetta. For comparison, the nearby Suez Canal is currently 193 kilometres in length. By balancing the inflow and evaporation the lake level can be held constant. Several proposed lake levels are -70, -60, -50 and -20 m. Flooding the depression to -20 m would lower the height of the world ocean by 2.16 milimeters."

Hell yeah let's do it AND lets dam the mediterranean while we're at it!

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

icantfindaname posted:

tbf it was more or less inevitable that somebody was going to get ethnically cleansed, Turkey just managed to preempt the Greeks

quote:

The 1960 constitution fell apart and communal violence erupted on December 21, 1963, when two Turkish Cypriots were killed at an incident involving the Greek Cypriot police.[62] Turkey, the UK and Greece, the guarantors of the Zürich and London Agreements which had led to Cyprus's independence, wanted to send a NATO force to the island under the command of General Peter Young.[citation needed]
. . .
700 Turkish hostages, including women and children, were taken from the northern suburbs of Nicosia. The violence resulted in the death of 364 Turkish and 174 Greek Cypriots,[64] destruction of 109 Turkish Cypriot or mixed villages and displacement of 25,000–30,000 Turkish Cypriots.[65] The British Daily Telegraph later called it the "anti Turkish pogrom".[66]
. . .
The crisis resulted in the end of the Turkish Cypriot involvement in the administration and their claiming that it had lost its legitimacy;[65] the nature of this event is still controversial. In some areas, Greek Cypriots prevented Turkish Cypriots from travelling and entering government buildings, while some Turkish Cypriots willingly refused to withdraw due to the calls of the Turkish Cypriot administration.[69] They started living in enclaves in different areas that were blockaded by the National Guard and were directly supported by Turkey. The republic's structure was changed unilaterally by Makarios and Nicosia was divided by the Green Line, with the deployment of UNFICYP troops.[65] In response to this, their movement and access to basic supplies became more restricted by Greek forces.[70]

Cyprus before 1974 had become a battle ground for governments of Greece and Turkey, with competing far-right terrorist organizations committing false flags, assassinating communists, undermining the government and rapidly pushing the island into the bloody intercommunal violence of 1974. Not to absolve the Turkish government of anything, but the framing you've used is rather weirdly provocative.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Powered Descent posted:

If you forget the desalination nonsense, woulnd't it still affect the area east of it positively in terms of rainfall?

Plus it like, super cool :cool:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

ReagaNOMNOMicks posted:

If you forget the desalination nonsense, woulnd't it still affect the area east of it positively in terms of rainfall?

Plus it like, super cool :cool:

Aren't the prevailing winds in the Sahara east to west?

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Peanut President posted:

v:shobon:v

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Peanut President posted:

Massive relandscaping projects are probably going to disrupt that sort of stuff. A big rear end chunk of water showing up always does that.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Peanut President posted:

i remember that plot from railroad tycoon 2

..that was weird game

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Peanut President posted:

One thing I don't get is why the Nile delta suddenly decides to evaporate right at its current shoreline. Why not use it as a headwater source for the extended Suez canal?

Also why the massive and inconvenient Venice canalization?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Guavanaut posted:

One thing I don't get is why the Nile delta suddenly decides to evaporate right at its current shoreline. Why not use it as a headwater source for the extended Suez canal?

Also why the massive and inconvenient Venice canalization?

They have a great gimmick going in Venice, would be a shame to ruin it.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Peanut President posted:

Wouldn't most of that reclaimed land just be salt-encrusted wastelands, creating toxic saltstorms that would make most of the Mediterranean uninhabitable?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

fishmech posted:

They have a great gimmick going in Venice, would be a shame to ruin it.
Wouldn't making them a dammed off lake with water streets be better than having an unnecessarily complex canal? It's not like it could just be a straight canal with the Med falling in level that much.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

It looks like they do make Venice a dammed off lake in the diagram, I assume the canal is just an extension of the Po through the now empty Adriatic.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

HorseRenoir posted:

Wouldn't most of that reclaimed land just be salt-encrusted wastelands, creating toxic saltstorms that would make most of the Mediterranean uninhabitable?

Somehow the Netherlands survived.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

computer parts posted:

Somehow the Netherlands survived.

Most of that was landfill or wetland drainage, the degree of salt contamination wasn't nearly as extreme.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The Dutch should be in charge of the project, on the condition that they come up with a better name than Flevoland this time around.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Flavorland

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Beware the Floridan radroaches

tough stains
May 23, 2007

Desire gets the upper hand over insight and foresight and the results are often needless entanglement.
"Struck by dog"

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
0.18 < 0.1

Good to know. Take that third grade math.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
0.06 for coyote seems high given that in all recorded history there's been one toddler in California and one petite adult woman in Nova Scotia actually killed by coyotes.

Dunno, maybe it's also counting people who contracted rabies from coyotes, or wrecked a car swerving around one or whatever.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

0.06 for coyote seems high given that in all recorded history there's been one toddler in California and one petite adult woman in Nova Scotia actually killed by coyotes.

Dunno, maybe it's also counting people who contracted rabies from coyotes, or wrecked a car swerving around one or whatever.

I mean the numbers for deer are probably things like "hitting them with a car" rather than "getting gored by a buck"

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
I refuse to believe that deaths by moose are zero as long as Alaska exists and has roads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Albino Squirrel posted:

I refuse to believe that deaths by moose are zero as long as Alaska exists and has roads.
Moose are deer.