Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

LostRook posted:

I think both Rockbomb, Berserker and Goodybag all are fairly late. Berserker is in the 2nd to last colored fragement island, Jewelbag is on the last colored fragment island, Rockbomb is the 2nd grey fragment. I think a couple of them will be in world map treasure chests that you can get quite a bit earlier but I can't remember which specifically or where, though I'm pretty sure it's Rockbomb.

rockbomb and berserker are in lucky panel. so, that leaves jewelbag. aside from peacock, the other 4 have either lizardman or jewelbag, so i guess i'll grind up one person into a peacock and then not worry about the rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i did the kingfuscia tablet dungeon a couple hours ago and i was swimming in hearts despite not really grinding for long. no thieves or pirates, using exclusively multi-target attacks.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Mountaineer posted:

I've killed about 800 kingfuschias in the tablet dungeon that's nothing but kingfuschias, and haven't gotten a single heart. Am I somehow sabotaging myself by killing them with boomerangs, so there's not just a single "last" monster? I'll switch to single-target weapons and see if it helps.

It might just be conjecture but have you tried actually finishing the dungeon? The final boss Kingfuschia is supposed to drop hearts more often, and I think clearing the dungeon repeatedly increases your chances too. Of course, I could be completely off base, but that's how it was for me and Drake Slimes.

LostRook posted:

I think both Rockbomb, Berserker and Goodybag all are fairly late. Berserker is in the 2nd to last colored fragement island, Jewelbag is on the last colored fragment island, Rockbomb is the 2nd grey fragment. I think a couple of them will be in world map treasure chests that you can get quite a bit earlier but I can't remember which specifically or where, though I'm pretty sure it's Rockbomb.

You can get Rockbomb and Berserker easily from Lucky Panel, Goodybag I haven't found anywhere yet but I'll be doing more Lucky Panel now that I'm in the endgame so I'll let you guys know.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Yeah, Goodybag was definitely one of the ones I had to grind 5 of in the dungeon, so it's not in chests. I suppose it could be in the 100 or 750 coin lucky panel, since I've not done much of those but you'll be able to get them as drops by that point.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Alxprit posted:

It might just be conjecture but have you tried actually finishing the dungeon? The final boss Kingfuschia is supposed to drop hearts more often, and I think clearing the dungeon repeatedly increases your chances too. Of course, I could be completely off base, but that's how it was for me and Drake Slimes.

You can get Rockbomb and Berserker easily from Lucky Panel, Goodybag I haven't found anywhere yet but I'll be doing more Lucky Panel now that I'm in the endgame so I'll let you guys know.

assuming this list of lucky panel prizes is correct, you can get gerion hearts in coastal and skip the lizard man phase. the jewel bags build into hell giant and dead noble, and the former is also a coastal lucky panel prize. they seem to be very rare, though.

so then, skipping the late access lizard man and jewel bag hearts, that means i need to figure out what gerion, hell giant and dead noble are called now and also if they are obtainable before those two basic classes.

of course, even if i get all those hearts i'll probably lose interest halfway through the grind.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bongo Bill posted:

Alltrades Abbey in the present. I think he's in the basement.

Thank you! I now have a Healslime named Healie

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Serious Frolicking posted:

i need to figure out what gerion, hell giant and dead noble are called now and also if they are obtainable before those two basic classes.

Gerion = Draguar
Dead Noble = Bone Baron
Hell Giant = Barbatos but curiously it's listed as not dropping its heart in the bestiary.

Personally, of those I think Draguar would be the most important given that they are a prerequisite for the Rashaverak(Andreal) class itself a prerequisite for the Estark class, which then leads to the PlatKing class.

LostRook fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Sep 26, 2016

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

"Drops its Heart," my rear end. Guess I just don't get to use monster classes!

That's over a thousand dead kingfuchsias, apparently the book stops counting at 999.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the rng god hates you. i just checked mine, and i have killed 170 and gotten 6 hearts.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lol drat that's insanely unlucky. I have 3 kingfuschia hearts without grinding

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Were you using the NPC's dungeon? Don't think it works. Was never able to get slime hearts from the slime version.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

LostRook posted:

Were you using the NPC's dungeon? Don't think it works.

i was!

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Well, then he's just cursed. Put down the 3DS and take off the Hate Mail.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

LostRook posted:

Were you using the NPC's dungeon? Don't think it works. Was never able to get slime hearts from the slime version.

I've got a ton of Slime Hearts from there.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Could some copies of the game be bugged? A discrepancy between the physical cartridge and digital download versions? I have the actual cartridge, are the other people unable to get hearts from NPC tablets also playing the cartridge version?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
The fuchsia heart was one of the first hearts I got. Think I got it from the fuchsia boss though

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
You also get it in a chest in past Providence and a tiny island on the world map, I think or from the 5/20 coin Lucky Panel very easily, so those are good alternatives.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Mountaineer posted:

Could some copies of the game be bugged? A discrepancy between the physical cartridge and digital download versions? I have the actual cartridge, are the other people unable to get hearts from NPC tablets also playing the cartridge version?

I'm playing on cartridge and I'm pretty certain I got my first kingfuschia heart from the tablet dungeon.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there isn't some complex reason. rng gonna rng, is all. i believe the drop rate boost for thieves and pirates stacks, if you wanna go that route.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I love Bang.

Also, that sure is an interesting take on petrification. :stare:

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
Please tell me the game doesn't have any vocation based dialogue. I just unlocked the ability to change them around twenty hours in and it'd drive me mad if there is.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Dr. Fetus posted:

I love Bang.

Also, that sure is an interesting take on petrification. :stare:

The best one is the statue that looks like it's been desperately scrabbling for the door handle.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Eopia posted:

Please tell me the game doesn't have any vocation based dialogue. I just unlocked the ability to change them around twenty hours in and it'd drive me mad if there is.

No, nothing along those lines.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

YggiDee posted:

The best one is the statue that looks like it's been desperately scrabbling for the door handle.

:(

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

YggiDee posted:

You mean the one that loving explodes after you check it? That one surprised me. Wasn't expecting so many people to straight-up die in this game.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
This is not a particularly happy game.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Cicadas! posted:

You mean the one that loving explodes after you check it? That one surprised me. Wasn't expecting so many people to straight-up die in this game.

Dragon quest has never been shy of killing off characters and NPCs despite its cheery and cartoony atmosphere. That the series goes into dark places sometimes and then strives to be optimistic regardless is probably one of the big reasons I like it.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

YggiDee posted:

It crumbled to dust. :catstare:

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Allarion posted:

Dragon quest has never been shy of killing off characters and NPCs despite its cheery and cartoony atmosphere. That the series goes into dark places sometimes and then strives to be optimistic regardless is probably one of the big reasons I like it.

Oh, I absolutely agree. It just took me by surprise because this is only the second DQ I've ever played besides 8, which I never got very far in due to not understanding buff and sap were mandatory.

Dragon Quest is very cool, turns out.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
How many forms does the final boss of 7 have, i died on the third because he drained all my MP.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

How many forms does the final boss of 7 have, i died on the third because he drained all my MP.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
So I decided to check out Dragon Warrior III to see if it was the same style as 1+2 and I was immediately greeted by several screens of sass <:mad:>

I mean, I guess it worked because now I'm kinda interested in this game.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I unlocked some tablet dungeons, and I happened to get something called a Slime Heart. What is that used for?

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Dr. Fetus posted:

I unlocked some tablet dungeons, and I happened to get something called a Slime Heart. What is that used for?

I'm sure you know there are classes in this game. Basically Hearts are things that'll drop in tablet dungeons, among other places. When you unlock classes, have that in your desired character's inventory and they can take that monster as a class. There's more to it, but that's the gist.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Oh and I should mention that skills and magic from intermediate and higher classes don't transfer when you change class, but skills and spells from monster classes do!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
So here's another dumb question: a lot of these games have a lot of complicated systems (like you're currently discussing), but how important are they for a "casual" first time playthrough? Are you going to screw yourself over and not be able to beat the final boss or will your party just be "less efficient"? I know a lot of JRPGs allow the player to completely break them with the proper clever use of game systems, but some unfortunately allow the player to essentially dig themselves into a ditch and be unable to complete the game. Is there anything to look out for in any of the DQ games?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Your Computer posted:

So here's another dumb question: a lot of these games have a lot of complicated systems (like you're currently discussing), but how important are they for a "casual" first time playthrough? Are you going to screw yourself over and not be able to beat the final boss or will your party just be "less efficient"? I know a lot of JRPGs allow the player to completely break them with the proper clever use of game systems, but some unfortunately allow the player to essentially dig themselves into a ditch and be unable to complete the game. Is there anything to look out for in any of the DQ games?

No. Most DQ games are very straightforward affairs and you don't really need to worry about ever screwing yourself over.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

To put it in perspective, this is a series that doesn't have Game Overs. The difficulty is tuned so that literal children can beat these games, much like Pokemon's is.

DQ8 is the only example that comes to mind where you could potentially screw yourself up if you spread out your skill points for no reason instead of focusing on a couple of skills, but even then you could probably still complete the game by over-leveling the final boss.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ojetor posted:

To put it in perspective, this is a series that doesn't have Game Overs. The difficulty is tuned so that literal children can beat these games, much like Pokemon's is.

That makes me feel a little better :kiddo:

As much as I love JRPGs I'm not always very good at them the first time around (which is why I love to play them several times in order to completely break them). I took a quick peek at some FAQs/Guides for DQ1, 2, 3, 5 and 7 and they all had stuff that made it seem like :siren: THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING EVER, IF YOU DON'T DO THIS YOU LOSE :siren: That's online FAQs for you, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Pretty much the only thing you need to know about dragon quest is to use all the tools given to you. Use buffs and debuffs, use those spells that are useless in other games. Instant death is shockingly effective. Quite a few bosses can be inflicted with status effects. These guys know what they're doing, so don't worry about optimizing (but feel free to!) and have fun.