Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Lord Ephraim posted:

Am I the only one a bit weird out from [Case 5 - Day 1] Archie Buff having a child at 52? I was expecting Armie Buff to be some 40 year old goony neckbeard obsessed with Call of Duty. When I saw a crippled 12 year old girl I got really sad as before I was kind of laughing at the character in the attack helicopter :(

My dad was 60 when I was born so not me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Lord Ephraim posted:

Am I the only one a bit weird out from [Case 5 - Day 1] Archie Buff having a child at 52? I was expecting Armie Buff to be some 40 year old goony neckbeard obsessed with Call of Duty. When I saw a crippled 12 year old girl I got really sad as before I was kind of laughing at the character in the attack helicopter :(

Men have the potential to be fertile into their 70's, so I don't see why it's so weird.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I just wanna see what (Case 5-1) Armie looks like when she's doing the Sarge character. I'm imagining her huddled over the controller just shouting into it and it's adorable.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Lord Ephraim posted:

I'm pretty sure your implication that he'd have had a child at age 12 would be way weirder...

E: Oh whoops you'd already done the age subtraction I forgot how old he was. :downs:

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Sep 25, 2016

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Lord Ephraim posted:

I was expecting the same.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Lord Ephraim posted:

my parents were 46 and 50 when they had me, i don't like your ageism sir :colbert:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Lord Ephraim posted:

Even when I thought that might be the case (although more like 20-something), Sarge losing his mom the way he did and then his dad was still really sad. Then it turns out Sarge is the sweetest little girl and it's double sad.

Also re: Nahyuta, his theme song is cool but it's way too heroic-sounding considering he's such a prick. The evil prosecutor turning the tide against you shouldn't sound like Kamen Rider just showed up to save the day.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Looking forward to Apollo's appointment to the Supreme Court.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Lurdiak posted:

Also re: Nahyuta, his theme song is cool but it's way too heroic-sounding considering he's such a prick. The evil prosecutor turning the tide against you shouldn't sound like Kamen Rider just showed up to save the day.
All defense attorneys are scum that want to protect criminals (Some even forge evidence) so that's exactly what Nahyuta's theme should sound like.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Fact: Phoenix Wright and Apollo Justice have both used forged evidence in court.

I can't wait for Athena to use forged evidence in AA7.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Waffleman_ posted:

Fact: Phoenix Wright and Apollo Justice have both used forged evidence in court.

I can't wait for Athena to use forged evidence in AA7.

It will be during the trial where Apollo is finally charged with murder. Let's kill two birds with one stone.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Suspicious Cook posted:

It will be during the trial where Apollo is finally charged with murder. Let's kill two birds with one stone.

i can't believe apollo is going to murder phoenix in aa7

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

And it's going to be case 1.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm playing the first Asinine Attorney DLC and I forgot how loving terrible Edgeworth's Objection sounds now.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Lord Ephraim posted:

I think the way the reveal was handled, you were supposed to be expecting that.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I am glad I wasn't the only one expecting that. Kept thinking it was more my fault that I expected Sarge to be a goon.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Raxivace posted:

I'm playing the first Asinine Attorney DLC and I forgot how loving terrible Edgeworth's Objection sounds now.

Tbh all voice sound clips from DD onwards are garbage compared to before

Give me back Apollo's old kick-rear end GOTCHA!

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

The tinny quality genuinely did make the voice samples sound better.

I miss Edgeworth's TAKE THAHT

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
Nahyuta is basically the Miles Edgeworth to Ga'ran's Manfred Von Karma, with Dhurke as Gregory Edgeworth in this analogy. Take your hated enemy's son, groom him to be the antithesis of everything his father stood for, ???, profit.

Also, if it hadn't been for the queen blackmailing him into servitude he probably would have just grown up to be an rear end in a top hat attorney instead of an rear end in a top hat prosecutor.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I think at one point we get an OBJECTION from Blackquill and I was sincerely confused because it sounded like Edgeworth's old one. Compared to the older games it's like "muppets with the wrong voices" all over again.

Jazama
Oct 5, 2013
Finished the game. I really liked the game overall. Here are my opinions of each case:

6-1: I was surprised how long it took to complete this case. It had fun characters and an enjoyable breakdown, but Payne is too mean in my opinion and brings down the case a bit. My favorite tutorial case is still 3-1.

6-2: I really enjoyed this case. The villain is an amazingly evil person, the evil plan is incredibly well thought out, and had what I believe is the best breakdown in the series. There was plenty of good character development for Trucy, though Troupe Gramarye in general is still filled with jerks. I hope the de Famme twins show up later.

6-3: Maya is back! She did not do much, but it is fun to see her again. The villain of this case is pretty different than those in the other cases. Technically the villain is Behleeb, who never testified and was apparently never arrested. It is very heartbreaking to see the reasons for all the deaths. Tahrust seems to be a great man and should not have did what he has done.

6-4: Incredibly Japanese and the only time Athena is playable. The witnesses are all fun and Blackquill is a great partner and should show up more often. I do agree that this case feels disconnected story-wise, but that is not a bad thing.

6-5: While the last case of Dual Destinies feel like an extension of the fourth case, the last case of Spirit of Justice feels like two cases. Anyway, there is a ton of character development for Apollo and more of his backstory is revealed (which does not perfectly fit with the vague info from the fourth game, but that does not bother me). Ever since I finished Dual Destinies, a story idea I had in my head is that, for some reason, Apollo is on the other side of the court. He never fully meshes with Phoenix the way Athena did (does Phoenix prefer to hang out with teen girls?), so I imagined Apollo deciding to study prosecution or something. Having him opening up his own law firm is a much better idea and I am glad that the game did not go with what I had in mind, though I still want to see a legit lawyer vs lawyer battle without blackmail. As for the actual prosecutor, Nahyuta did get behind the bench but, in a twist, Ga'ran is the actual opponent, which I did not see coming. Spider Queen is an amazingly over the top villain and made for a great final boss. One thing I found weird is that Edgeworth ended up never prosecuting a case the whole game. In fact, he did very little and is more of a fanservice character than Maya.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Case 5, Investigation Day 2.

I presented my Attorney's Badge to Edgeworth. This brought up dialogue about the Investigations games, which was neat. It also got Gumshoe's salary lowered for gossiping to Phoenix.

His raise. :smith:

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
i tried choosing a wrong answer in case 2 and got a reference to Judge Wackner, hero of the Public's Court. I was not expecting to ever see that reference again.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

voltcatfish posted:

The tinny quality genuinely did make the voice samples sound better.

I miss Edgeworth's TAKE THAHT

Weren't the :objection: voice samples for Edgeworth, Phoenix and Von Karma just the same clip played at different speeds?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Um.....not at all? Where the hell did you get that idea? They're verifiably different people, Japanese and English.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

2 of the 3 are even credited in T&T. They did a drat good job for, presumably, random interns.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

Weren't the :objection: voice samples for Edgeworth, Phoenix and Von Karma just the same clip played at different speeds?

You've got some nutty misconceptions, Lurdiak!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Ben Judd, the original voice of Phoenix, was actually a key producer in the 2009 Bionic Commando game and Rearmed.

The Japanese voice of Godot is Hideki Kamiya!

Shu Takumi himself was Phoenix!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I forgot to bring this up earlier in Case 5, but

Apollo still won't eat his hamburgers. :argh:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

The English translator is very much aware of that comic, incidentally. She mentions it in one of the articles on the Capcom blog.

Lord Ephraim posted:

I think that was the whole point of it; everything clearly points to a goony military-obsessed shutin, and then welp it's a poor little girl in a wheelchair :ohdear:.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

When this came up I was so sure they were actually going to make a direct "Eat your hamburgers Apollo" reference. In retrospect it's silly to expect that from a game but hey, I sure didn't realise that at the time.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Case 3: Maya saying she had outgrown the ladder argument broke my heart :(

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Alabaster White posted:

Don't worry, the rest of the cast is there to continue it in her place. They do it a few times in the game, too, just with objects that aren't ladders.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Alabaster White posted:

She's not fooling anybody. Maya wouldn't have brought it up if she still wasn't going to wage that war. She just wanted to seem mature. :colbert:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Hey is this going to function as the general Ace Attorney thread now? I'm going to be playing some AAI2 now before the AA6 DLC drops, but I don't want to poo poo up the thread with irrelevant conversation.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Sep 26, 2016

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The Dual Destinies thread transitioned into that, so yeah, I don't see why not.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I'm not the OP but I imagine you can go right ahead. No one's posting in the AA5/Old general thread, and no one complained when we had the general music chat the other day. :v:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Raxivace posted:

Hey is this going to function as the general Ace Attorney thread now? I'm going to be playing some AAI2 now the AA6 DLC drops, but I don't want to poo poo up the thread with irrelevant conversation.

Do it

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Look, I don't understand why everyone thought Dhurke was behind the murder in Case 5. It was clearly the Dwarf!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, this basically doubles as a mega thread.