Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

CaptainSarcastic posted:

The whole "Linux isn't ready for the desktop" trope being repeated in this thread is definitely a tech relic.

the funniest part to me is that 'year of the linux desktop' idea got traction and then faded away because everyone stopped using desktops in favor of (mostly unix based) tablets and smartphones. We never got the year of the linux desktop!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
But now everybody is sick of smearing their fingers around on screens and are ready to get back to work..... Desktops are coming back.... In Linux form

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Linux should just face facts and rebrand itself as BridesmaidOS.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

running linux on the desktop is the equivalent of growing your own food. great if you can do it, but gently caress right off if you tell others that it's simple and easy.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
*bites into a plump home grown tomato, juices gushing over lips, bits of tomato flesh lodged in-between teeth, grinning turns to camera "it's free, and open source"

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

well why not posted:

running linux on the desktop is the equivalent of growing your own food. great if you can do it, but gently caress right off if you tell others that it's simple and easy.

It's simple and easy if you're a loving computer grog.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

No-one stopped using desktops computers, just their preferred form-factor changed and now hundreds of millions of desks world-wide have laptops on them with external monitors, mice, and keyboards attached. And a layer of dust on them.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

iPads and keyboard cases brought back the era of 10 hour spreadsheet processing on a 10" screen with lovely chiclet keys everybody loving loves it lmao

I don't trust anybody whose job is to post twitter updates from a bean bag chair to tell me that desktops and laptops are dead

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
you still need a desktop or a laptop with mouse keyboard and preferably an external monitor to get Real Work done imho :smuggo:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

well why not posted:

I do both and you're exactly right. I don't recommend either to anyone I know.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
How long until all of apples product line can be considered a relic because I look forward to that day with vigor

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

8 track betamax posted:

How long until all of apples product line can be considered a relic because I look forward to that day with vigor

When the iPhone 9 has no screen because screens are in the past. The phone itself is just a circuitboard and a watch battery coated in plastic. It's only 2mm thick. You can still buy a screen separately which connects via the proprietary connector via two adapters.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
Soon Apple will sell iEye. Retina etching so you can use your phone.. ON YOUR EYES. It will basically be surgical google glass.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
So courageous

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
No matter how simple or easy Linux gets, there are still almost no reasons for your average user to bother with it at all.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Linux used to be good on the desktop but then terrible nerds got into "developing" it and now it's quite literally useless. Back in the late 90s and early 00s a nice desktop linux would run fine on older hardware and that was its main "selling" point.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

CubanMissile posted:

No matter how simple or easy Linux gets, there are still almost no reasons for your average user to bother with it at all.

Tuxracer of course

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Jerry Cotton posted:

Linux used to be good on the desktop but then terrible nerds got into "developing" it and now it's quite literally useless. Back in the late 90s and early 00s a nice desktop linux would run fine on older hardware and that was its main "selling" point.

I liked Linux back when jocks were making it between games.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Is there a good Windows or iOS version of SameGame out there? I had to use Linux for a thing at one point (not my proudest moment, honestly) and the only thing that got me through it was SameGnome.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Skoll posted:

Soon Apple will sell iEye. Retina etching so you can use your phone.. ON YOUR EYES. It will basically be surgical google glass.

Futurerama beat you to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJyMEkb_8to

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

They will call it...EyePhone :thejoke:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

CubanMissile posted:

Um excuse me but the alarming thread about Microsoft taking telemetry from Windows 10 got like, a thousand upvotes on reddit? zeitgeist much mother fucker?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

There are no N64 emulators that "run fine" in terms of having decent accuracy and still running at a playable speed. CEN64 is the cloest things have gotten, but it still has some issues and needs a top of the line i7.

From a few pages back, but this isn't quite true. With N64 emulation, we're kind of where ZSNES ended up- the most popular games do "run fine" in that sense (Super Mario 64, OoT, Mario Kart 64, Smash 64, etc all run great). However, the less popular the game is, the more likely you are to run into weird bugs and edge cases, even if the game's playable, and a lot of games just really do not control well unless you pony up for an N64 controller adapter or make specific rebinds for every game (Turok looks and sounds fine, and runs fast enough, but the controls are a motherfucker to get working right).

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

CubanMissile posted:

Also forgot to point out that linuxes haven't been getting simpler or easier but more complex and hard.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

What about grandma's 12 year old email forwarding station? Wouldn't it be better off with Linux than say with Windows XP or Vista whose service period are over by now?

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Skoll posted:

Any excuse to post the ibrain is a good excuse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtV80ZdpTY0

Insanely NSFW, but only audio, so headphone to your headphones content.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Mak0rz posted:

What about grandma's 12 year old email forwarding station? Wouldn't it be better off with Linux than say with Windows XP or Vista whose service period are over by now?

Only because IIRC ubuntu has an "easy mode" where you lock out basically all functionality except for gigantic icons that say "INTERNET" and "EMAIL"

I will say that Lubuntu, Kubuntu and Xubuntu are pretty great for super-low-powered stuff (my 1st-gen single-core Atom processor netbook was brutal under XP or 7).

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

drunk asian neighbor posted:

Only because IIRC ubuntu has an "easy mode" where you lock out basically all functionality except for gigantic icons that say "INTERNET" and "EMAIL"

I will say that Lubuntu, Kubuntu and Xubuntu are pretty great for super-low-powered stuff (my 1st-gen single-core Atom processor netbook was brutal under XP or 7).

Ubuntu's greatest triumph was convincing people that launching LXDE, KDE, or XFCE was so difficult it required an entirely different installation, rather that just 'apt-get install xfce'.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Pham Nuwen posted:

Ubuntu's greatest triumph was convincing people that launching LXDE, KDE, or XFCE was so difficult it required an entirely different installation, rather that just 'apt-get install xfce'.

lol yes, those nefarious money-grubbing Ubuntu devs and their accursed "splash page that suggests that certain flavors may be better-suited for older computers"

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

drunk asian neighbor posted:

lol yes, those nefarious money-grubbing Ubuntu devs and their accursed "splash page that suggests that certain flavors may be better-suited for older computers"

I'm not saying I know why they did it, just that thousands of people are now apparently convinced you have to reinstall your OS if you want to use KDE. Yes, I have personally witnessed otherwise intelligent people doing this.

God forbid you can't offer every single window manager on a single install disk, you might have to do something insane like fetch packages over the Internet!

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

The Mrs. has been in a nostalgic mood lately, so she DVRed a bunch of old episodes of All In the Family. Amazingly, the show has aged pretty well (outside of the 70's fashion), but the episode we watched last night most certainly did not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izWZ3iZoe6M

"Archie and the Computer"
First aired a few weeks before I was born: October 27, 1973

Keep in mind, this was before ANY Personal Computers existed (there were some "micro-computer" kits, but nothing you could buy and use without major tinkering), so the bad guys in this episode are invisible mainframes laboring away somewhere off-screen. It's likely that none of the characters had ever seen, let alone used, a computer.

The level of anti-computer paranoia coming out of Meathead's mouth is kind of shocking... We've become so accustomed to seeing dirty, hippie-ish 70's-era Jobs and Woz, that one can forget how anti-technology most of the rank and file hippies really were... technology was a TOOL OF THE MAN!

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Glad we got past that. Now it's just the old cranky conservatives yelling about how real work can't be done without a mouse and keyboard.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Hell, I just bought another three laptops for the department and "the keyboard is good" was one of the deciding factors. We had a couple of people that tried Surfaces, but two of them now have normal laptops and the last one mostly uses a desktop. (A huge workstation tower, even). I've had people ask me to order them better keyboards.

Of course, biology research is the kind of job where you end up typing a lot - and I have perfectly normal people with educations in things like molecular biology or even veterinary science writing R code to do their own analysis. We're probably not representative of much. :)

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

CubanMissile posted:

Yes, the Internet is highly overrated.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Computer viking posted:

Hell, I just bought another three laptops for the department and "the keyboard is good" was one of the deciding factors. We had a couple of people that tried Surfaces, but two of them now have normal laptops and the last one mostly uses a desktop. (A huge workstation tower, even). I've had people ask me to order them better keyboards.

Of course, biology research is the kind of job where you end up typing a lot - and I have perfectly normal people with educations in things like molecular biology or even veterinary science writing R code to do their own analysis. We're probably not representative of much. :)

But how do they use their big unstylish desktops while synergizing in the ball pit?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Yes, the Internet is highly overrated.

Rumor has it that it also makes you stupid.

Computer viking posted:

As an ecologist by trade I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that what they consider a "good" keyboard is basically anything with a built-in numpad.

So many of my colleagues in grad school took like ten times longer to do their data entry than me because they all had MacBook Airs and were too cheap/dumb to buy a peripheral numpad.

Mak0rz has a new favorite as of 15:26 on Sep 27, 2016

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
I wonder if keyboards and mice will become a relic in certain jobs in the 3D modeling/game dev industries with the full adoption of VR-based editors. It's already started with Epic adding VR editing support in UE4, and I know there's some VR modeling projects ongoing with Blender. It seems like the place where VR is going to shine, even if it never gets adapted for consumer use; being able to model and arrange while having a true visualization of depth allows for massive streamlining, with the potential to offer significantly faster workflows.

Of course programming and the like probably won't benefit, but for jobs that are primarily visual based it looks like a game-changer.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

That was just implicit, but yeah - I don't think one without a keypad would have went over well. On the other hand, there's remarkably little data entry in this; most datasets have hundreds of thousands of points per sample and are exported as text files from the relevant tools. It's mostly about the analysis code, article writing, and emails.

A couple of years ago I spent some office money on the cheapest gaming keyboard with cherry brown switches I could find for myself. She tested that and liked it, so I found a reasonably neutral-looking one for her. As for why our staunch computing gear supplier has a broad selection of gaming gear, I have no idea.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

If you need a non-gaming mechanical keyboard for office use, I'm a huge fan of this one:
http://matias.ca/quietpro/

A little pricey at $150, but its got that great feel, and it's quiet enough to use in an office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Running without a real keyboard snd trackball pisses me off.