Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

The pitcher in this gif was just killed in a boating accident. It's a bummer he was going to have a long career ahead of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

AFewBricksShy posted:

The pitcher in this gif was just killed in a boating accident. It's a bummer he was going to have a long career ahead of him.

And if you want to feel like double poo poo - here.

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/6479266/v31220231/jose-fernandez-reunites-with-his-grandmother

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

:(

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Well thanks for making me cry, rear end in a top hat.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

More good sports to confuse the Americans please:

Good play but that looks like a no ball to me.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Shillary posted:

Good play but that looks like a no ball to me.

Nah his heel is pretty well behind the line, looks alright.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

treiz01 posted:

Does anyone who isn't British have the remotest idea what the gently caress is going on here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dJxEc4RD0g

The Simplified Rules of Cricket posted:

There are two teams. One out, one in.

Two players from the team that is in go out, and as long as they stay out they're in.

The team that's out try to get the players that are in out. When they do get one of them out, he goes in.

This process is repeated until the team that's out gets the team that's in all out. Except one player. He remains not out.

When the team that is in is all out, the team that was in goes out, and the team that was out goes in.

The team that was in now tries to get the team that was out out. When they manage this, the innings is completed.

Then there is a second innings where everyone goes in and out again. Except that one player who goes in not out.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

:psyduck:

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.
Is that supposed to be a riddle?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I don't think it's any more complex than baseball, just a match goes on for like five days. One team tries to score points while the other team tries to bowl them out, then they swap and do it again til everyone gets bored and goes home and the team with the most points wins.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Wasabi the J has a new favorite as of 15:15 on Sep 26, 2016

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Sakurazuka posted:

the team with the most points wins.

The match can still end on a draw even if the teams have different scores. (If they both had the exact same score that would be a tie, which is different to a draw.)

Pseudohog
Apr 4, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The match can still end on a draw even if the teams have different scores. (If they both had the exact same score that would be a tie, which is different to a draw.)

And in a one day match, if it rains, the scores can be modified by the Duckworth-Lewis method, which involves ratios like these...

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Nah his heel is pretty well behind the line, looks alright.

Thought I saw the it lift right before delivery, but it was a low quality gif viewed on a phone so I'm sure you're right.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm not even kidding, it makes a little more sense to me now. I thought there was only one full inning though so I learned something too! I wanna go to a cricket game sometime. Maybe when I visit India.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVl0Zt-kZys&hd=1

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'm not even kidding, it makes a little more sense to me now. I thought there was only one full inning though so I learned something too! I wanna go to a cricket game sometime. Maybe when I visit India.

Much like baseball, cricket is an excuse to just drink really heavily.

Does thus help explain why the games last five days?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

The Simplified Rules are actually a joke about the terminology. Mostly cricket is like baseball, with a few differences. Honestly, if you can follow one you should have no trouble with the other.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Roger the Kangaroo is even more jacked than ever before

He knows you're jealous

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Is that a myostatin thing or are all roos that jacked?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Roger the Kangaroo is even more jacked than ever before

He knows you're jealous

gains.jpg

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

TheDon01 posted:

Is that a myostatin thing or are all roos that jacked?

It's myostatin-related muscular hypertrophy. Basically any mammal can get it, and there's like 50 million kangaroos in Australia, so it would be pretty likely to turn up every now and then.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Big male kangaroos are often pretty drat swole
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNm4nn5eu_g

Also their claws are a lot nastier than you'd expect
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHOGjd7PJY0

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Kangaroos can not only kick you to death and rip your guts out with their hind claws, but they can also strangle you.

Welcome to Australia motherfucker!

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Memento posted:

It's myostatin-related muscular hypertrophy. Basically any mammal can get it, and there's like 50 million kangaroos in Australia, so it would be pretty likely to turn up every now and then.

Imagine a myostatin gorilla :stare:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

TheDon01 posted:

It would be a gorilla with the strength of TEN gorillas! :stonk:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

TheDon01 posted:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

TheDon01 posted:

I know that whippets with that condition usually end up dying young of heart disease, their hearts grow out of proportion as well. It probably happens to all animals with it, eventually, but maybe earlier in already muscle-bound animals like gorillas. So if they do exist, they probably die in infancy or aren't viable births.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Why is having an oversized heart so bad? I heard this is common with people that have gigantism. I'd think having a football sized heart would give you excellent circulation for physical activity.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Panfilo posted:

Why is having an oversized heart so bad? I heard this is common with people that have gigantism. I'd think having a football sized heart would give you excellent circulation for physical activity.

I think the muscles growing too large can impinge on the proper function of the valves, and it can have problems getting enough oxygen from the blood vessels on the outside to feed itself. Not a doctor clearly.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

There's also only so much room in a ribcage. It's not like the organs are just sloshing around in there.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Your heart can become incredibly inefficient for pumping if its too large.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Panfilo posted:

The square-cube law. The larger you are, the more energy you need to function. In the case of the heart, its beat is created (appropriately) by the SA node, a small bundle of cells that sends an electric jolt through the muscles. With an oversized heart, the SA node does not grow at the rate required to send a jolt with the same effect. So you have a weaker heartbeat that is also trying to pump a greater volume of blood. On top of all that, our lungs can only oxygenate blood so quickly. But even if your oversized heart did function to the same strength and your lungs were somehow able to oxygenate it, you still wouldn't be any better off because you also don't need so much oxygen. You'd spend the whole time feeling like you'd hyperventilated.

Basically, we're built to scale. Mess around with the scale, and something gets affected.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Phar Lap (the Australian race horse) had a heart 1.5 times larger than a regular horse, and I believe that's what made him such a good runner.

So I guess bigger is better up to a point, and then it all goes to poo poo.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Istari posted:

Phar Lap (the Australian race horse)

NZ racehorse :ssh:

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

A heart that is physically larger but still normally proportioned might work, but hypertrophic muscle (i.e. what you get with a myostatin issue) would mean less room in the heart for blood, and consequently less being pumped out to the body.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
Also bigger hearts still break. (gently caress you, Brenda!)

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

I just said he was from Australia, I didn't feel the need to specify which Australian state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Also their claws are a lot nastier than you'd expect
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHOGjd7PJY0

Great, now all they need are some horns on their heads, and then Australia will have its own live Deathclaws.