Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Poison Mushroom posted:

Did Steffi just charge at Gear with a loving sword? :ohdear:

woah steffi

e: http://www.kiwiblitz.com/comic/page-484

Is that the EMP sword, or am I confusing Kiwi Blitz with something different in which there was an EMP sword? I mean, if it's an EMP sword, then Steffi's action makes sorta sense, if she manages to hit it'll disable Gear's cyborgy bits.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Sep 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Pavlov posted:

I'm still hoping the bittersweet candy bowl author will finish that comic some day, so she can make something that isn't about the cat-people she invented at 7.

I love her diary comics. I'm really tired of her cats.

Taeshi is great and BCB is a ton of fun, but yeah she's winding it down. I'll read whatever comes next!

By the way, their books are totally beautiful. The hardcovers are class all over.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Cat Mattress posted:

woah steffi

e: http://www.kiwiblitz.com/comic/page-484

Is that the EMP sword, or am I confusing Kiwi Blitz with something different in which there was an EMP sword? I mean, if it's an EMP sword, then Steffi's action makes sorta sense, if she manages to hit it'll disable Gear's cyborgy bits.

It's something along those lines, yeah.

Honestly, given that Gear is a known aggressive crazy person with a gun arm, rushing her at close quarters with a melee weapon is probably the least bad option when she suddenly appears in your garage.

Man, Cho is going to be in so much trouble (not that she's really the kind of cop who can deal effectively with Gear either).

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Just Offscreen posted:

Deprived is the best webcomic about a buff naked woman with a club that I've read all season.
Thanks for the recommendation. There aren't enough good Dark Souls comics out there aside from the official ones.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Just Offscreen posted:

Deprived is the best webcomic about a buff naked woman with a club that I've read all season.

Does this site have RSS?

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Jackard posted:

Does this site have RSS?

https://tapastic.com/rss/series/40020

VVV No thats the address I use in feedly- must really be down.

Just Offscreen fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Sep 26, 2016

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
"down for maintenance"

Is it really, or does the link have a typo?

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Jackard posted:

"down for maintenance"

Is it really, or does the link have a typo?

Another comic I read just moved to Tapastic, and the rss link on their page gives the same message.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

The general consensus here on SA seems to be that Dumbing of Age is bad, but I unironically love it. It scratches my soap-opera itch and has characters I feel I can really relate to - them and their internal conflicts. And it gives me hope/lets me live vicariously the dream of pushing through my depression and getting to be in a relationship with a hot girl who's also into girls.

I will agree that AmaziGirl is stretching my patience a lot. It's just fundamentally such a break from reality. Everything about DoA is firmly grounded in how the real world works, and then there's the girl with the grappling hook gun, the shoes with pop-out rollerskates, who can skateboard behind a car on the highway and carries caltrops in her belt. The psychological aspect of it intriguing, but like... a hypercapable superhero in a comic mostly driven by relationship drama and Joyce's coming-of-age. It doesn't work.

It also had some issues in the beginning with just how dull Walky could be as a character, but he seems to have grown a little so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

(Also Willis is a totally cool guy who dedicated a paper copy of book 5 to my girl name when I mentioned I was a transwoman who just wrote a male name on her shipping address because I needed the mail to arrive.)

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

i'm following dumbing of age in the hope that amber one day gets arrested and put in a mental institution

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I've noticed most slice of life comics aren't very well received on SA tbh, I love Questionable Content despite Jacques amazing inability to draw more than five different faces.

Although to be fair most slice of life comics are terrible, so

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

AriadneThread posted:

i'm following dumbing of age in the hope that amber one day gets arrested and put in a mental institution

I still really like the bits with the sheltered christian girl. There are a lot of little details and dynamics that really feal drawn from experience, which give some actual weight to those parts.

The rest of the comic got too tedious for me to follow just for those though.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Wrist Watch posted:

I've noticed most slice of life comics aren't very well received on SA tbh, I love Questionable Content

Hell, same

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i find questionable content mildly entertaining and am generally surprised when i find anybody feeling passionately about it in any sense :v:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
It's like having cereal for breakfast. Not particularly exciting or important, but once you're in the habit, there's not really a reason to stop?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Wrist Watch posted:

I've noticed most slice of life comics aren't very well received on SA tbh, I love Questionable Content despite Jacques amazing inability to draw more than five different faces.

Although to be fair most slice of life comics are terrible, so

Bad Machinery was fundamentally a slice of life/coming of age comic (despite some supernatural high jinks) and it was generally liked here, also it was not terrible.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wanna see the Deprived when she starts having to grind for souls.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Gabriel Pope posted:

Bad Machinery was fundamentally a slice of life/coming of age comic (despite some supernatural high jinks) and it was generally liked here, also it was not terrible.

It was also consistently funny but that's not surprising considering its author.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Poison Mushroom posted:

It's like having cereal for breakfast. Not particularly exciting or important, but once you're in the habit, there's not really a reason to stop?

pretty much me with El Goonish Shive

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Gabriel Pope posted:

I feel like the slice of life stuff in Bad Machinery was secondary to solving weird mysteries, but wholeheartedly agreed that it owned.

anti-magic
Sep 9, 2012

We've come up in the ram-raiding business, Owl.
It's all high class now.
No more baby seats.

LatwPIAT posted:

Everything about DoA is firmly grounded in how the real world works, and then there's the girl with the grappling hook gun, the shoes with pop-out rollerskates, who can skateboard behind a car on the highway and carries caltrops in her belt. The psychological aspect of it intriguing, but like... a hypercapable superhero in a comic mostly driven by relationship drama and Joyce's coming-of-age. It doesn't work.

Everything except for the dialogue, how alcoholism works, how university age people act, ultracar... Are we talking about the same comic?

I can understand that Willis has a lot of regrets about his previous worldview and is striving to correct that, but he's gone so hard in the other direction it's alienating and weird. Every antagonist is a strawman and his protagonists are so thoroughly unlikely in every single way that reading it is a chore; it feels like you've cracked open his private diary where he writes down his vigilante fantasies (among others...).

Wrist Watch posted:

I used to really enjoy QC (snarky dialogue and music references are like catnip to a 17 year old I guess) and I cannot even remember why I dropped it from my RSS bookmarks like X years ago. I check up on it now and then but nothing really happens and the robot stuff is just bizarre. Even that other comic he started up with the blue guy is basically QC dialogue but in the different setting with similarly slow pacing. At least he updates on time?

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

anti-magic posted:

Everything except for the dialogue, how alcoholism works, how university age people act, ultracar... Are we talking about the same comic?

I can understand that Willis has a lot of regrets about his previous worldview and is striving to correct that, but he's gone so hard in the other direction it's alienating and weird. Every antagonist is a strawman and his protagonists are so thoroughly unlikely in every single way that reading it is a chore; it feels like you've cracked open his private diary where he writes down his vigilante fantasies (among others...).

I wouldn't call going the opposite direction of "women are meant to breed" is a bad thing. And here's been some pretty reasonable people to balance out the strawmen amongst the religious nuts in Joyce's last arc. Also Ultracar isn't even around so I'm not sure why you'd bring that up.

But yeah I can't really argue the alcoholism and vigilante things. I can only assume Willis gets jittery without drama and action scenes in a while, but the comic suffers for it.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Deprived is good. Although if I didn't have background knowledge of the game I'd be confused as poo poo about what was going on.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

anti-magic posted:

I used to really enjoy QC (snarky dialogue and music references are like catnip to a 17 year old I guess) and I cannot even remember why I dropped it from my RSS bookmarks like X years ago. I check up on it now and then but nothing really happens and the robot stuff is just bizarre. Even that other comic he started up with the blue guy is basically QC dialogue but in the different setting with similarly slow pacing. At least he updates on time?

Jacques has a big thing for the idea of post-Singularity robot rights and it has been bleeding through more and more in the comics. I personally think it's kind of interesting but it's quite a bit different from how the comic used to be, it's a lot more dramatic. I kind of respect the guy for having characters that have issues but then actually get therapy rather than just playing up their unhealthy dysfunctions over and over for comedy like so many TV shows and the like do.

Also he talks about robots without blowing his load all over it like Diaz does so that is something, I guess.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Gabriel Pope posted:

this is an odd definition of slice of life that would seem to incorporate everything that isn't high fantasy/science fiction

i sort of took 'slice of life' to mean all those comics more or less directly liveblogging the author's uneventful personal life, and the not terribly interesting things their cat does. eventually they realize narrating the day-to-day of a nerdy introvert this way is crushingly boring and start adding wacky monkey cheese, but not as a plot arc or anything, which doesn't actually make any of it less crushingly boring

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

this is an odd definition of slice of life that would seem to incorporate everything that isn't high fantasy/science fiction

i sort of took 'slice of life' to mean all those comics more or less directly liveblogging the author's uneventful personal life, and the not terribly interesting things their cat does. eventually they realize narrating the day-to-day of a nerdy introvert this way is crushingly boring and start adding wacky monkey cheese, but not as a plot arc or anything, which doesn't actually make any of it less crushingly boring

Those are generally called journal comics (eg Wasted Talent). Slice of life is anything that doesn't have an overarching plot beyond people dealing with normal personal junk (and doesn't have enough real jokes in it to be called comedy), regardless of the setting.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Yeah, slice-of-life comedy is more "laugh with the characters' shenanigans", while sitcom is more "laugh at the characters' shenanigans".

Sadly, most of the slice-of-life shows I can think of are anime.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

what about dexter

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

No that's slice of knife

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

anti-magic posted:

Ultracar isn't actually in this unless you mean Carla who's just a transwoman. And if that stretches your disbelief I'll blow your mind by telling you that transwomen exist and go to college. I know since I'm one of them.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The continuing mental and moral regression of Willis's world is fascinating at least, especially when it was in such a state of arrested development that it didn't seem like it could regress at all.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Sep 27, 2016

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The continuing mental and moral regression of Willis's world is fascinating at least, especially when it was in such a state of arrested development that it didn't seem like it could regress at all.
I don't think a single sane human being has read anything this man has done in like a decade, what's the story?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
The story is BravestOfTheLamps is not a sane human being :v:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

djw175 posted:

Ultracar isn't actually in this unless you mean Carla who's just a transwoman. And if that stretches your disbelief I'll blow your mind by telling you that transwomen exist and go to college. I know since I'm one of them.

I think they're referring to how Carla is (of course) a carryover from his old comic and in that one she was Ultracar but in a girl body because ughhhhhhhh why can't i forget this

anti-magic
Sep 9, 2012

We've come up in the ram-raiding business, Owl.
It's all high class now.
No more baby seats.

nerdman42 posted:

I wouldn't call going the opposite direction of "women are meant to breed" is a bad thing. And here's been some pretty reasonable people to balance out the strawmen amongst the religious nuts in Joyce's last arc. Also Ultracar isn't even around so I'm not sure why you'd bring that up.

But yeah I can't really argue the alcoholism and vigilante things. I can only assume Willis gets jittery without drama and action scenes in a while, but the comic suffers for it.

I was listing poo poo and I remembered how dumb ultracar was so I threw that in there. But I agree that it is a good thing Willis is trying to be a better person but when he conveys that through his comics it comes off like he is trying way too hard, like to the point of fetishisation rather than being genuinely supportive/understanding or raising awareness.

Then again I am a straight white dude so maybe I have this all wrong? Happy to hear what LGBT readers think of his portrayals/storylines as they pertain to them.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Also he talks about robots without blowing his load all over it like Diaz does so that is something, I guess.

"Not being Diaz" is the lowest bar to clear for almost any human attribute I could think of.

I keep forgetting there is a whole robot rights/singularity thing going on in QC now. I honestly skim over the robot strips because they're all groan-inducing anime stereotypes.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

anti-magic posted:

I was listing poo poo and I remembered how dumb ultracar was so I threw that in there. But I agree that it is a good thing Willis is trying to be a better person but when he conveys that through his comics it comes off like he is trying way too hard, like to the point of fetishisation rather than being genuinely supportive/understanding or raising awareness.

Then again I am a straight white dude so maybe I have this all wrong? Happy to hear what LGBT readers think of his portrayals/storylines as they pertain to them.

I'm not bothered by his portrayals of L and T people and on the grand spectrum of fetishization DoA rates rather low. I know what the fetishization of transwomen people is like, and Carla is the opposite of that. When it comes to fetishizing lesbian relationships, Becky and Dina as tame as gently caress. And when it comes to supportiveness, understanding, and raising awareness I think he's doing a pretty good job. One thing a lot of LGBT people struggle with in the real world is how they are so rarely allowed to see people like themselves in media, especially in fully fledged and non-villainous roles. Having characters like oneself appear in media feels really supportive when you're starved for it. That goes wider than the LGBT side of things; autism, depression, etc.

When it comes to raising awareness... well... he recently did a storyline about an LGBT teen running away from home because her father was going to put her in a pray-the-gay-away camp. That's a thing that actually happens to LGBT teens in the US.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Willis is earnest and seems to try hard, he just has a minor issue in that he has absolutely no god damned loving idea how actual human beings speak or think or function or interact and holds his audience eternally hostage in a series of interachangeable angst-swamps built upon the craggy ruins of his own adolescence.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I think Willis actually writes perfectly serviceable superhero soap opera and wish he would go back to that. For all its flaws, It's Walky! let him get in his progressive character soundbite moments and then gloss over the real life human relationship stuff with "fuggit, aliens happen!" If he did a reboot or true spiritual successor I would read the poo poo out of it, but Willis's stuff falls flat without goofy cartoon action poo poo to prop it up and it falls flatter when he shoehorns the goofy cartoon action poo poo in where it doesn't belong.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
"You're just jealous because no one's ever wanted to drug your fat rear end" the scarred rapist says to the campus superheroine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

I can't really object to that line, given I've seen variations on it spat out by internet trolls over the years.

• Locked thread