Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

orcane posted:

I had enough after 500 tons even though I planned to do much more this weekend, how do you do this and not want to kill yourself with the stupid mission board taking forever and mainly offering the wrong mission types?

You do this by the way while you are actually doing something else.
Like netflix or wanking.
Or maybe get high as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Boy am I glad I used that fine/bounty exploit when it existed. Also are you telling me that in this future ships cant fly themselves to wherever the hell they want?

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Yolomon Wayne posted:

I still believe once you get to Rank 12 they should GIVE you a Cutter/Vette, not allow you to buy one.
I mean you dont have to buy your own tank in the army.
That's totally true, but I guess the army doesn't give you a tank then say "thank you for your service" and let you do whatever you want with the tank.

As someone who doesn't have Rank 12 because I came around after they fixed the way to do the required two thousand missions in a weekend rather than it a hundred hours. Think about the fact that if there wasn't the mission stacking mechanic, which is radically against the game design, those missions would take you at least a thousand hours of gameplay taking the one or two good available missions from the mission board and doing them. It would take someone playing 8 hours a day x 5 days a week (a full time job) 6 months to get the required rank. There is no mechanic for expediting this. You can't take harder missions, you can't use local faction to boost your advancement, you can't get naval rep any other way.

It is ridiculous and the only thing you get from this is the opportunity to buy a ship. You can't command forces. You don't get a salary. You don't get special missions tied to your naval rank. They don't even reimburse you for a portion of your insurance costs if your ship is destroyed in the line of duty (which in itself isn't well defined, because you get to choose your 'orders' and abandon them if you change your mind).

It is like a Fantasy MMO where no matter what you kill, sloth or dragon, you get 1 XP, the levels just take more and more XP, and when you reach the highest level you can buy a different horse to go with your 20 other horses. Except killing sloths is a lot more fun than watching the mission board "Loading" screen.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Yeah I bribed my way to a Rear Admiral rank when Draconis donate missions were still a thing and I can't imagine how soul sucking trying to get a Corvette normally is

E: Unless Draconis is still a thing I assumed they removed it because gently caress you

Insert name here fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Sep 26, 2016

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I've been planning on using the Draconis donate route (Sothis runs already got me up to Ensign) and I understand the only obstacle now is expense, right? More Sothis should handle that :getin:

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
If Draconis ever gets nerfed there are all of the PRE support outposts. Hell, PRE support alpha is only right outside of the bubble.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Oh so you can still use donation missions? I guess my bot is still relevant it just requires a lot of fine tuning for each individual computer because OCR is worse than hitler.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

Oh so you can still use donation missions? I guess my bot is still relevant it just requires a lot of fine tuning for each individual computer because OCR is worse than hitler.

Just keep in mind that the amount of money doesnt matter, so programm it to only do 25k (or up to 100k) donations.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Thanks to certain decisions i made previously, credits are not an object. Also i'm already maxed out anyways. Whats a taipan?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
A taipan is a type of snake.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Just keep in mind that the amount of money doesnt matter, so programm it to only do 25k (or up to 100k) donations.

They are not the same (but the lower donation missions are still cheaper)

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Mailer posted:

This would assume anyone there had not already chugged the kool-aid. They knew the right way to do it. Frontier just totally screwed it all up somehow.

Every time I find a post there it's full of broken people. The ship transfer thing originally made me think it was a cesspit of clowns screaming about MY AUTISM but the rabbit hole goes so much deeper than that. They're the Space Amish preaching that joy is the devil and everything requires suffering.

The worst part about the brown sea is that the volunteer mods are the spergiest of the spergs and will happily steer the discussion in the direction they want it to go. The fact that they are allowed to freely post their "opinions" as moderators is absurd. Oh and remember disagreeing with people that mods agree with is "badgering".

There is really no reason to post there as it's a moderator enforced echo chamber.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

So, where are the promised aliens / thargoids?

They said they're coming, dropping hints and unknown barnacles but still nothing

I want to believe

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

TorakFade posted:

They said they're coming, dropping hints and unknown barnacles but still nothing

I want to believe

I don't think they'd ever push them out in beta - the salt over the paid beta and thargoids would be epic.

I imagine the next stuff about them showing up will be post 2.2 release.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug
I engineered myself a Cutter with shields and 760 tons cargo capacity. The next step is upgrading the FSD.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

TorakFade posted:

I want to believe

Frontier loves to tease, but the aliens will take some more time I think. We've upgraded from barnacles to a crashed alien ship by the way, you're hanging a step behind.

Just look at the mini-arc playing out in Frontier's GalNet-articles about the plucky little developer of a fancy new FTL-drive: First they announced to start work (Yeah!), then the stockmarket panicked and the plucky little company was falling into bankrupcty (Boo!), then another company took them over so they could continue developing their fancy super-drive (Yeah!), but then the main guy behind the new drive suddenly died and some other guy ran away, possibly with some secret behind it. (Boo, hiss!)

The reason for the teasing is of course: The story is tied down to the development of the game, so it goes forward if Frontier thinks deployment of a new thing is getting closer, and delayed by unexpected problems if the development of a new thing is hitting unexpected trouble. :v:

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

What would a super drive even be?

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

What would a super drive even be?

A 2% decrease in boot-up time.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Donation missions are still around, they just cost 25k to a million-plus credits instead of just 2000 credits per mission before they patched it.

Mike the TV posted:

They are not the same (but the lower donation missions are still cheaper)

Yeah, the more expensive missions do offer slightly more rank, but the return diminishes significantly, so unless you just hate spacemoney and have too much of it, best stick to missions <100k.

Reddit posted:

To increase 10% rank at Viscount:
It takes 20 $25K donations ($500K) - 0.5% rank per donation
It takes 15 $300K donations ($4.5M) - 0.66% rank per donation
It takes 10 $1M donations ($10M) - 1.0% rank per donation
I did a full 10% for each donation size because I wanted to eliminate the times where a $25K donation might look like it gained 1% increase, but really you were just at x.8%, so the $25K donation rolled you over to the next highest integer.

So two donation missions of 25k each provide the same faction/rank boost as turning in a single, million-credit donation. :smithicide:

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

FileNotFound posted:

The worst part about the brown sea is that the volunteer mods are the spergiest of the spergs and will happily steer the discussion in the direction they want it to go. The fact that they are allowed to freely post their "opinions" as moderators is absurd. Oh and remember disagreeing with people that mods agree with is "badgering".

There is really no reason to post there as it's a moderator enforced echo chamber.

See.. I argue with the mods and their sea of cult worshippers all day. You've just got to approach the argument the right way. Much like the RSI forums, you can't call people out in an obvious manner. You have to be incredibly subtle and hope they pick up on the jab because, otherwise, the moderators will flag it.

I even got tagged for "moderator abuse" for mentioning that they were volunteer moderators and that it doesn't put them above anyone else on the forum, they just have the lovely task of policing it. Brett overturned it a few days later and I would hope he berated the thin skinned little bitch who flagged it.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

LCL-Dead posted:

See.. I argue with the mods and their sea of cult worshippers all day. You've just got to approach the argument the right way. Much like the RSI forums, you can't call people out in an obvious manner. You have to be incredibly subtle and hope they pick up on the jab because, otherwise, the moderators will flag it.

I even got tagged for "moderator abuse" for mentioning that they were volunteer moderators and that it doesn't put them above anyone else on the forum, they just have the lovely task of policing it. Brett overturned it a few days later and I would hope he berated the thin skinned little bitch who flagged it.

:effort:

RSI forum games were more fun as their mods were seriously the worst I have ever seen anywhere and it was trivial to egg the spergs into raging and then report them to had the mods ban then. I mean come on - there was a guy there who LITERALLY though that he was actually "The Punisher"....

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

TorakFade posted:

I want to believe
I think there was some kind of surprise promised near the end of Horizons updates... aliens, I guess.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

LCL-Dead posted:

I love that "Forum-Side" has its own metagame.

jnnnnn
May 31, 2013

MEL

orcane posted:

I had enough after 500 tons even though I planned to do much more this weekend, how do you do this and not want to kill yourself with the stupid mission board taking forever and mainly offering the wrong mission types?

I wasn't scumming much at all. I would fly to Ceos, taking whatever was on the Solo and Open mission boards, then usually fly straight back to the bubble. Sometimes I'd walk away for ten minutes for the Ceos boards to reset. Sometimes there was a smuggling mission to Sothis so I'd do that. At one point I got six 7M+ missions in a row between Sothis and Ceos, that was p. good. 50 million in three five-minute trips.

The most memorable Ceos board had 50M+ in missions from a single faction.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Beat the patch. Personal achievement unlocked. Suck it, poors.

jnnnnn posted:

I wasn't scumming much at all.

It really depends on the ship involved, the amount considered acceptable and the time period you did it in. Four weeks ago Sothis was dropping poop missions like crazy. Right after Ceos was fixed it had so many cargo missions that you'd get max value with minimal trouble. The last four runs I've done consisted of spending 3+ hours flipping and taking horrible missions just to fill up. Either it's manual intervention leading into the patch or the perfect storm of hosed up conditions.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah I'm not convinced it's just RNG anymore, for that it has been too consistently lovely (:v:) for the past 2 weeks compared to the first few times I did it 2-3 weeks ago. Even with most factions booming, they just love to spam 6/8 covert something missions or mining rushes still and refreshes get me 1-2 hauling missions per instance, tops.

I can still fill up my Python with missions earning 200k+ per ton on average, but it takes a bit of refreshing and is no fun. I consider getting an Anaconda and just run the large missions for like 100k/t (if at all) but even those don't spawn that often.

Even that is still better than all the other stuff I can do so yeah, not sure I'm going to hit 1 billion before the patch hits, but once it does hit, I'm pretty much not counting on making any money until someone finds a way to break the economy elsewhere.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Is there any point to landing on unexplored planets?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Well, I've ordered a Vive, so I suppose that means I'm coming back to E:D (at least for a bit).

I really should work on my Fed rank.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Gort posted:

Resources and cool screenshots?

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Resources and cool screenshots?
Also pulling sick jumps.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Gort posted:

They exist and might have some cool views/its fun to drive?

I know discussions about doing things for the sake of just doing them is haram so...

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Gort posted:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Gort posted:

Wait: is this not the point of the game?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I mean, I read some stuff about you getting explorer rank for driving around in your Scarab when you're far from Sol. And thought maybe there might be cool things to find if you're doing so out on the galactic rim.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
If there were actually something to "explore" and not just a barren landscape that's been repeated x-million times over across the galaxy.

I think that is the core of the "exploration needs work" argument.

This game needs a hell of a lot of work before it's going to become something that's more intriguing than salt generation.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Because I'm slightly mad and have already publicised this in too many places to be able to back out of it...

Relevant links

Frog Life http://www.froglife.org/

Stream http://www.twitch.tv/elitediamondfrogs

Donate: http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/diamondfrogs

Angrymog fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Sep 27, 2016

mpyro
Feb 9, 2003

'Cause I live and breathe this Fillydelphia freedom

Mailer posted:

It really depends on the ship involved, the amount considered acceptable and the time period you did it in. Four weeks ago Sothis was dropping poop missions like crazy. Right after Ceos was fixed it had so many cargo missions that you'd get max value with minimal trouble. The last four runs I've done consisted of spending 3+ hours flipping and taking horrible missions just to fill up. Either it's manual intervention leading into the patch or the perfect storm of hosed up conditions.

You are the poor. Get more credits.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

radintorov posted:

Also pulling sick jumps.
loving pisses me off that you can't use your jumpjets while jumping over your own ship. So I am always never landing my sick jumps :(

Mailer posted:

You filthy pov. Get back to us when you have "One hundred gajillion dollars!". I needed to collect a couple federal navy ranks and I wasn't getting anything but trade data salvage that wouldn't spawn or kill 60 ships in a CZ which blows so I went to Ceos to do hauling missions until I got my Navy rank. Filled my 112 of 116 of my Asp in three board flips (two at Ceos, one in Sothis) with all less than 20 ton contracts. Seems to be all RNG unless Onyxia is deep breathing more.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I have read the brown sea for 10 minutes.

Why? Why do I do this? People are asking that transfering ships should cost at a bare MINIMUM the rebuy price, plus a premium for distance and weight

whyyyyyy

maybe I'm sour because I'm space middle-class with my 180 millions in assets, but I kinda hate that everybody speaks of spending several millions as if it was nothing, because you can make those back in just 3-4 hours of soul crushing, funless grind and who hasn't the time or will to do that am I right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
They really just want the transfer mechanic to be completely useless for any practical purpose. I can see myself using it once to gather a couple of my ships to my normal outfitting spot, and then likely never again.

• Locked thread