Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

TheScott2K posted:

Plex (BETA) DVR Trip Report

My TV tuner is an HDHomeRun Extend and my go-to client device is an XBox One. The server is a Phenom II 955 desktop - not bleeding edge but more than up to the task of transcoding a stream without being a bottleneck.

Video Format Spergery

First recording test was an episode of The Price Is Right. I chose it since it's the highest "difficulty level" for Plex - a 1080i, full-framerate show. Some players (including HDHomeRun View) can't quite get the deinterlacing and motion right on that kind of video - it'll do fine with 24fps scripted content like an episode of CSI, but with something shot with TV-rear end TV cameras like sports or news issues can come up.

My network tuner has built-in transcoding hardware that Plex can use to just save the show as h.264 video instead of its original MPEG2, but for the first recording I told it not touse that. Right off the bat, when playing back the recording the Plex server is transcoding for the XBox One. That shouldn't be necessary - the XBox One is quite capable of playing back unmolested broadcast MPEG2, and does so with the OTA tuner flawlessly. So my desktop's CPU is doing unnecessary work and skipping ahead of commercials takes a little longer. This is annoying, but the kind of thing that'll probably be fixed down the road. The transcoder also isn't very good at dealing with the aforementioned deinterlacing, so the motion was a little smeary and not as butter-smooth as it normally is when I'm watching OTA TV via the OneGuide.

So for the second recording (another episode of The Price is Right), I told it to use the hardware transcoder at its highest setting and put it directly in an MKV container. In this case, the XBox One was able to Direct Play the file just fine, so that's nice, but using the HDHR's transcoder caused a very real quality hit. Visible compression artifacts everywhere, despite being on its highest setting. Motion as also worse - at first it seemed smoother, but there was visible hitching that was impossible to un-see. So uglier images, moving less consistently smoothly. But CPU usage on the desktop was basically zero, so that's nice.

Interface/UX

At first I was put off by the fact that the program guide doesn't use a grid layout like a cable box or Tivo, but now that I've spent some time with it I kind of like the pile of shows it presents you. With the shopping and Jesus channels filtered out, I have 19 TV channels. If I had 200 channels it wouldn't work well, but giving me poster carousel of what shows are airing now and what shows are starting soon actually works quite well. I also like how it puts things like movies, news, and sports in their own little ghettos. You can search about two weeks into the future, and you get the usual series record options you're used to.

The recordings get put in the same folder as your TV Show library. I'm not sure how it would handle it if you had more than one folder in your TV show library, and the ability to set a specific folder elsewhere to save all these recordings would be nice. Once the recording is done it'll show up in your TV library alongside all of your Linux ISOs like it's no different.

You can't watch the recordings as they're recorded, but oddly you can open the recording's file in the ".grab" directory using VLC as it's recording.

Overall it's neat and handles our light DVR needs fine, but if you're looking for something to replace your Roamio or still-working Windows Media Center setup you should probably wait for issues to get ironed out and live playback to be supported.

UPDATE: I asked r/Plex about the server transcoding MPEG2 for the XBox One client, and a Plexman appeared and told me they pushed an update to the remote player profile to let the XBox direct play MPEG2 files. So that should be a solid playback quality improvement!

For me it's a race between Plex getting this working and the HDHomerun guys figuring out how to get their DVR stuff working (not holding my breath there). No live TV yet is a deal breaker for the house. Now I wish I bought a Lifetime subscription back when they were only $80 :(

I probably should clone my WMC drive in the meantime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

WhyteRyce posted:

For me it's a race between Plex getting this working and the HDHomerun guys figuring out how to get their DVR stuff working (not holding my breath there). No live TV yet is a deal breaker for the house. Now I wish I bought a Lifetime subscription back when they were only $80 :(

I probably should clone my WMC drive in the meantime.

Over the last few years I've learned not to have any faith in SiliconDust when it comes to making software. Their viewer app doesn't even deinterlace well on a desktop - I have much more faith in Plex to make a decent DVR. I think they'll crack the Live TV nut. I've used hacked together HDHR Plex plugins before and it worked but was crashy, I think right now Plex just doesn't do well with something that doesn't have a set duration. They'll figure it out.

Amdis posted:

Will I be able to stream HD stuff over WiFi? The room the TV is in has no ethernet ports and my TV currently connects via WiFi.

If the Wifi in your house isn't trash (good signal where the clients are, a 5ghz band) and the PC is connected via ethernet you should be fine. Powerline ethernet adapters make a good Plan B if wifi doesn't do the trick.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

TheScott2K posted:

Over the last few years I've learned not to have any faith in SiliconDust when it comes to making software.

Oh I'm absolutely in that boat too. I'm still pissed at them for that one time it took them a year to finally release a new, official firmware. And I'm not thrilled at the $30 a year charge for the DVR service

Dem Bones
Feb 25, 2005
Listen, I didn't face ten long tours against the goddamn 'bots to come back home and lift baby weights.

WhyteRyce posted:

Oh I'm absolutely in that boat too. I'm still pissed at them for that one time it took them a year to finally release a new, official firmware. And I'm not thrilled at the $30 a year charge for the DVR service

I'd probably be fine with it if SiliconDust can actually get DRM support working (they have a license for it and previously implemented it in the Android HDHomeRun viewer). It would be the only software-based solution for CableCard DRM outside of the now-discontinued-and-barely-hobbling-along Windows Media Center. I don't think Plex is planning on it.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Yea I'd rather pay Plex $40 a year for something I know will keep improving than pay SD $30 for something that could very well suck in the exact same ways after a year.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

PLEX DVR (beta) TRIP REPORT: Day 3

Yesterday's episode of The Price Is Right was plagued with stutters that led to very obvious sync issues. In an attempt to isolate the WiFi and TV signal variables, I left the network alone and upgraded the antenna from the retractable stick type that came with one of my USB tuners to an RCA flat-type (without an amplifier - always test first without an amp, the amp can actually screw up a strong signal). Well today's episode of The Price Is Right had no sync issues whatsoever, so yesterday's problems were definitely due to lovely reception. 5GHz wifi kept up with Direct Play of the recording on the XBox One with no issues whatsoever. Fast-forwarding still sucks, as is normal for Plex, so I'm tempted to add comskip to the whole thing. I'm hesitant to add another thing that might gently caress up to the whole setup at the moment, though.

edit: Well just as I hit enter, the picture tiled a little bit and the audio went out of sync about 50 minutes into the recording. I backed it up about 30 seconds and the exact same thing happened, so I'm pretty sure it was an OTA signal hiccup, not a wifi signal hiccup. The takeaway here is that Plex DVR is very sensitive to signal issues. I never experienced this with Windows Media Center - if a recording had the signal go lovely for a second it didn't lead to sync issues. If Plex's focus is OTA broacasts, that's something they're going to have to figure out. It's definitely a playback issue and not a recording issue - seeking will make the sync issue go away, even from one point after the signal hiccup to another.

Edit: Plex DVR does include an option to put the recording in an MKV container. I used tried using it two days ago, but my focus on the XBox One's inexplicable need for transcoding (solved since then). I'm wondering if maybe using the MKV container option could result in the client being better able to recover from a moment of signal hiccup in the recording without losing sync. I don't know a lot about how players keep audio and video in sync, but we'll find out tomorrow!

Edit2: Recorded tonight's Superstore, which aired on a 1080i channel, to try the record-to-MKV option. Made everything worse, gently caress using that button for a while. I also took a look at today's Price Is Right in MPC-HC and found that when the signal hiccup hits about 46 seconds in, it never loses audio sync afterwards when played in MPC-HC. So the sync thing is definitely a playback issue. Next I'll check it on a Chromecast to see if it's a playback-on-XBoxOne issue.

TheScott2K fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Sep 23, 2016

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Amdis posted:

What are my options when it comes to streaming video directly from my pc into my tv that's setup in another room that doesn't have internet connectivity. I was looking into MoCA as one of the alternatives. Can I run a coax cable into a splitter, run one of the cables into the MoCA adapter for ethernet and the second into my cable box and have it work?

Just get this https://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-Powe...werline+adapter to give network access in the room without any connectivity. And buy a Roku 2 or something equivalent with an ethernet port to access your Plex server.

teagone fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Sep 23, 2016

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

TheScott2K posted:

The takeaway here is that Plex DVR is very sensitive to signal issues. I never experienced this with Windows Media Center - if a recording had the signal go lovely for a second it didn't lead to sync issues. If Plex's focus is OTA broacasts, that's something they're going to have to figure out. It's definitely a playback issue and not a recording issue - seeking will make the sync issue go away, even from one point after the signal hiccup to another.

Yeah this is why I had to stop using it eventually. Whatever combination of variability and my wifi hardware means it would just give up.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Anyone had issues with Plex deciding it can't see SRT subtitle files? Stuff that was definitely working before now isn't. I wasn't on the latest PMS version so I updated it, but no difference.

Everything is labelled correctly, and on a scan it did seem to pick at least my test case up but soon dropped it. Saw someone else online with that same thing happening, and a discussion about the file format the file is in, but it seems a bit strange that none of them are working anymore.

I'm probably just going to add them into the file using mkvtoolnix as I've tested it and that's fine, but it's a bit of a hassle.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Scaramouche posted:

Yeah this is why I had to stop using it eventually. Whatever combination of variability and my wifi hardware means it would just give up.

I have a tivo, and my windows pc is running KMTTG with a couple shows set to auto transfer.

Kmttg pulls them from the tivo, rencodes the files as h264 (if needed) and dumps them to a folder that plex sees. Its a great way to get my shows while traveling.

Cornjob fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Sep 24, 2016

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

Anyone had issues with Plex deciding it can't see SRT subtitle files? Stuff that was definitely working before now isn't. I wasn't on the latest PMS version so I updated it, but no difference.

I've had odd issues over the years. Sometimes the .srt file plays when titled file-title.srt and other times it needs to be file-title.En.srt

.En meaning english

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I tried the .en. part and that was the scan that appeared to briefly work (I've always just used .srt before).

At least looking through most of my stuff with subs it seems they're all embedded, and unless you're adding them yourself to native files there's no much reason to have them separate, but it's an odd little bug. I have one show with .rear end subs (can these be embedded? I'm not sure) which works fine, and are much better full stop it seems. I wish people doing subs for foreign shows would switch to them instead but eh, I'm sure it's not as widespread compatible.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

teagone posted:

Yeah, I think the issue is mostly due to the same film being added in separate 2-part stacks that's giving Plex a hard time. Quick google search came up with this for merging mp4 files without any quality loss though: http://superuser.com/questions/43588/how-can-i-merge-two-mp4-files-without-losing-quality So maybe you could look into doing that instead of re-ripping? Sounds like avidmux does what mkvtoolnix does but for mp4 files instead.

In case anyone was curious, I tried this and it gave me an error. I'm just going to rerip them and join the files with mkvtoolnix.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
Seems Plex is going to the cloud with Amazon. I signed up for an invite but I'm really, really interested in seeing how they handle encryption to prevent Amazon from seeing your MKV's. https://www.plex.tv/cloud/

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

suddenlyissoon posted:

Seems Plex is going to the cloud with Amazon. I signed up for an invite but I'm really, really interested in seeing how they handle encryption to prevent Amazon from seeing your MKV's. https://www.plex.tv/cloud/

That would be pretty aces if I could still share my library with multiple people and use Amazon's servers for the transcoding/bandwidth.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
You can already sync data to a bunch of different places, this just seems like it's bringing that to full native libraries. My guess is that it does no transcoding or any 'server' based items.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

According to one of the Plex developers on reddit if transcoding is needed then it will go through one of Plex's servers to do the transcoding.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If it had the ability to have things like nzbget and sonarr running directly on amazons services, this would be pretty next level. Right now it's relying on the upstream of the user and means having to organize before upload. But hey, right now I have a years worth of unlimited Amazon storage anyway, a Plex library that's on a core2duo server thousands of miles away, and no bandwidth cap on that machine. Applied for an invite to see what I can do with it.

Dem Bones
Feb 25, 2005
Listen, I didn't face ten long tours against the goddamn 'bots to come back home and lift baby weights.

suddenlyissoon posted:

Yeah going by what's on the Plex forum right now, they don't seem to be planning to encrypt the files stored on Amazon. That seems like a real bad idea.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Well obviously we all own all of the media on our Plex servers

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

As cool as this Plex Cloud beta sounds, I think I'll just continue to keep things grounded on my end. :v:

eames
May 9, 2009

teagone posted:

As cool as this Plex Cloud beta sounds, I think I'll just continue to keep things grounded on my end. :v:

Yup. Seems nice on paper but a terrible without encryption.
Amazon doesn't allow any copyrighted content to be stored on that service, even if you yourself own the rights to it.

Even if Plex were to add encryption, I doubt Amazon would be thrilled if a decent percentage of their customers suddenly started uploading terabytes of non-deduplicatable files there.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

TheScott2K posted:

Well obviously we all own all of the media on our Plex servers

I have roughly 10,000 copies of Big Buck Bunny waiting to upload to the cloud.

This seems like a nightmare. It also seems like a potentially real bad PR move for Plex. Imagine being some dumbfuck who hears how awesome Plex is and how they can just pay roughly $110 a year and have all their old Napster mp3's everywhere, not knowing a thing about encryption. They're going to get lit the gently caress up on DMCA's & ToS violations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Updated the OP with new Roku recommendations as they just refreshed their product lineup, except for the Roku Streaming Stick; that model (3600R) is still the same.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Oh neat, the express seems like a cheap easy way of getting Plex into my bedroom. Anything else it supports will be a nice bonus.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Only thing about the Roku Express is it can't connect to 5GHz WiFi. Other than that, it seems like a real solid, super cheap option to get Plex anywhere in your home that has a decent WiFi signal. I'll probably pick one up over the weekend to test out its performance.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah that's a pity as I primarily use 5ghz. However, it will be really close to the router (literally separated by a not too thick wall) and because my server is quite slow, a long way away, and restricted to 12mbit upload, the 2.4ghz factor shouldn't be an issue id imagine. Good to know before purchase though, so thanks!

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

suddenlyissoon posted:

Yeah, I kinda got excited there for a moment (There's so much faff involved with my specific use-case that I would quite happily pay someone to deal with that for me) until I realised that they will probably not care for my hosting, just for sake of example, certain cartoons from a certain Japanese animation company who are ball gargling dumb when it comes to selling their shows in the UK.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Sep 27, 2016

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

suddenlyissoon posted:

I'm really, really interested in seeing how they handle encryption to prevent Amazon from seeing your MKV's.

Is that even promised? I'm guessing they assume you're paranoid/most people won't give a poo poo, as Amazon has run a music locker for years and people didn't give a poo poo.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Music doesn't have TV and Movie associations being gigantic arseholes about everything.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ConanThe3rd posted:

Music doesn't have TV and Movie associations being gigantic arseholes about everything.

Hahahaha WHAT?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

ConanThe3rd posted:

How old are you?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

ConanThe3rd posted:

The music industry has the worst one of them all. Also most of the labels themselves are giant rear end in a top hat factories.

Dem Bones
Feb 25, 2005
Amazon also apparently wound up paying licensing fees for their music locker service: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012/07/amazon-decides-it-actually-does-need-licenses/

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

The Gunslinger posted:

The music industry has the worst one of them all. Also most of the labels themselves are giant rear end in a top hat factories.

RIAA hasn't sued any customers in a while. They publicly put that out there and I haven't seen them walk it back to individuals unless they run like YouTube ripping sites. ISPs are still threatening many people each week for downloading mr robot.

Film/Tv target people directly to this day.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
I was just pointing out that Music does indeed have an rear end in a top hat association behind it much like TV/Film. IMO they are the worst when you look at their total history of loving over artists and consumers but arguing over which is the worst smelling poo poo heap doesn't sound like fun.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Ok

There is little danger for being sued or punished by an isp for any music usage as a user in tyool 2016.

Can't say the same for film/tv.

The cloud player licensing thing is super interesting though. I guess because they aren't matching to a database and it's user uploads that they own they think they don't need a license.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

The Gunslinger posted:

Yeah, I gaffed, my point was for everything the RIAA is (and they are pieces of work) they largely got told where to stick their poo poo in as much as Apple et all will sell songs DRM free for 99p and they'll have to lump it.

The MPAA and whoever the equivlant is for the TV Studios, on the other hand strut like their farts don't stink. That whole deal with Aereo was an utter farce.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Sep 29, 2016

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Crossposting from XBMC thread because it's about Plex too.

Anyone using the PlexBMC addon? I tried using this guide http://www.htpcbeginner.com/kodi-and-plex-integration-with-plexbmc-addon/, but when it tried to connect to my server it says unable to connect or something and that the addon has an error and that I should see the log. When it says put in your Plex account and password information, it means my account info that I would use on the plex.tv site? I think I tried with and without to no avail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah I tried the .en. part and that was the scan that appeared to briefly work (I've always just used .srt before).

At least looking through most of my stuff with subs it seems they're all embedded, and unless you're adding them yourself to native files there's no much reason to have them separate, but it's an odd little bug. I have one show with .rear end subs (can these be embedded? I'm not sure) which works fine, and are much better full stop it seems. I wish people doing subs for foreign shows would switch to them instead but eh, I'm sure it's not as widespread compatible.

I think there are programs to convert .rear end to .srt

I've never seen .rear end before though.