Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

so in DR1 junko broadcast a game to the public to almost fairly prove that despair could be hope, in order to spread despair. Why didn't she just broadcast subliminal messaging in that case and despair everyone that way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Because Junko is stupid and Danganronpa 3 is bad.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
With this last episode and looking at the whole Despair arc I'm almost sure Kodaka and co. just did the Despair arc as a "DR2 focus" at first because they knew that many people would flip if he didn't animate the DR2 characters or focus on then at least.

You can tell the whole thing is supose to focus on the new characters(and Junko) and the DR2 characters were just on the side but if they had said the Despair side would just focus on that people would flip because they skiped a DR2 anime and the characters are really popular.

I actually liked the Despair arc but I had some problems with it, manly the whole Twitlight thing were it didn't matter at all besides giving Hinata a reason to become Izuru because the fact that Mahiru, Kuzuryuu and Peko never talked about it again like it never happened just bugs me, and the whole Mukuro thing as I said before makes no sense and is so out of character. Basically the stuff that involves the old characters.
I'm still waiting on the AI Chiaki thing because that makes no sense still but I hope they talk about it in the Hope episode.

I mostly like Danganronpa for the characters so the plot part I don't really mind so I have been enjoying the anime as a whole and I like all the new characters(well the ones that had some sort of focus at least, sorry Bandai you looked nice at least) and the best parts for me in Despair were involving the new characters, also Chiaki because I feel her moments with Hinata and Izuru were really good.

Well if the last episodes now are good I can just think of Despair side as a side-dish to the main pdish that is Future and Hope(I feel like there's a meta thing to this)

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Hopes are a bunch of sad sacs while despairs are never not in a state of joy. We should all despair.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
You should just go with Hajime and choose FUTURE

Or go to space.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Butt Ghost posted:

so in DR1 junko broadcast a game to the public to almost fairly prove that despair could be hope, in order to spread despair. Why didn't she just broadcast subliminal messaging in that case and despair everyone that way?

its not really an ideological win if she just uses mind control to cause the world to end. she is fine mind control to jump start a state of despair but using it to just kill everyone wouldnt really prove anything to her. she kills herself because despair lost. her ideology is more important than just "winning".

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Butt Ghost posted:

Because the whole hope vs despair thing is just silly set-dressing and what Junko really cares about is boring, predictable order vs exciting, unpredictable chaos, at least as far as DR3 is concerned. She could have a 100% foolproof plan going, but then there would be nothing that could surprise her and she'd just be bored again, so she designs her plans with intentional flaws because her plans going in ways she couldn't predict is as good or better than her plans just succeeding.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Ok thread so when was it for you that the terms Hope and Despair started to lose all meaning.

For me it was somewhere in the middle of dr2 during a :words: of Komaeda.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
For me it was when Munakata stabbed Sakakura and was like CURSE YOU FOR MAKING ME KILL HIM DESPAIR

It's actually a more hilarious line than intended, but it was still a pretty silly thing to blame his recent behavior on an abstract concept

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Mindblast posted:

Ok thread so when was it for you that the terms Hope and Despair started to lose all meaning.

For me it was somewhere in the middle of dr2 during a :words: of Komaeda.

Likewise. It probably helps that I didn't listen to the voice clips in orenoren's thread, otherwise Junko saying "zetsubou" a million times probably would've melted my mind back then.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Iretep posted:

its not really an ideological win if she just uses mind control to cause the world to end. she is fine mind control to jump start a state of despair but using it to just kill everyone wouldnt really prove anything to her. she kills herself because despair lost. her ideology is more important than just "winning".
But I don't think she was looking for an ideological win. Iirc, she wanted to crush the hope of the outside world by letting them see the harbingers of hope corrupt.

a cartoon duck posted:

Because the whole hope vs despair thing is just silly set-dressing and what Junko really cares about is boring, predictable order vs exciting, unpredictable chaos, at least as far as DR3 is concerned. She could have a 100% foolproof plan going, but then there would be nothing that could surprise her and she'd just be bored again, so she designs her plans with intentional flaws because her plans going in ways she couldn't predict is as good or better than her plans just succeeding.
okay, yeah I remember that from the episode, I suppose that's as decent enough an explanation as any.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Voted Worst Mom posted:

How is Makoto dodging a wrench the first confirmation of his shsl luck, unless you literally mean chronologically first?

I mean that this is the first time someone who is able to recognize real luck (Junko with her Analysis power) has stated that he has it. Every seemingly lucky before this could have been just a coincidence.

Mindblast posted:

The end of DR2, where Hajime shoots down all of the statements from everyone with the Future bullet, meaning that he is done with the Hope/Despair stuff and just wants to move on from all of this.

BlazeEmblem fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Sep 24, 2016

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

This is literally the ending of Danganronpa 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yk7IDVzLiQo

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

IceBorg posted:

With this last episode and looking at the whole Despair arc I'm almost sure Kodaka and co. just did the Despair arc as a "DR2 focus" at first because they knew that many people would flip if he didn't animate the DR2 characters or focus on then at least.

You can tell the whole thing is supose to focus on the new characters(and Junko) and the DR2 characters were just on the side but if they had said the Despair side would just focus on that people would flip because they skiped a DR2 anime and the characters are really popular.

I actually liked the Despair arc but I had some problems with it, manly the whole Twitlight thing were it didn't matter at all besides giving Hinata a reason to become Izuru because the fact that Mahiru, Kuzuryuu and Peko never talked about it again like it never happened just bugs me, and the whole Mukuro thing as I said before makes no sense and is so out of character. Basically the stuff that involves the old characters.
I'm still waiting on the AI Chiaki thing because that makes no sense still but I hope they talk about it in the Hope episode.

I mostly like Danganronpa for the characters so the plot part I don't really mind so I have been enjoying the anime as a whole and I like all the new characters(well the ones that had some sort of focus at least, sorry Bandai you looked nice at least) and the best parts for me in Despair were involving the new characters, also Chiaki because I feel her moments with Hinata and Izuru were really good.

Well if the last episodes now are good I can just think of Despair side as a side-dish to the main pdish that is Future and Hope(I feel like there's a meta thing to this)

yeah it's kind of odd that fuyuhiko being a literal murderer pre-brainwash never comes up again

like it wasn't even Mob Business/just following orders, dude straight-up revenge killed a girl

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's loving stupid the best part of this show was Natsumi and Hajime bonding because god knows Twilight Syndrome did not need expanding upon

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Something I only realized just today but I don't think anyone else caught; DR2 explicitly stated somewhere that the Despairs were recruited individually by taking advantage of their personalities and worries, dragging them into despair in the process.

But in DR3, they're all brainwashed simultaneously and that's how they fell into despair? What the gently caress? Did they have so little planning and were they that desperate to get the Hope's Peak arc over with that they had to contradict the explanation given in a prior installment?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

it's a little something I like to call Oh poo poo We Can't Fit That Into 12 Episodes

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Something I only realized just today but I don't think anyone else caught; DR2 explicitly stated somewhere that the Despairs were recruited individually by taking advantage of their personalities and worries, dragging them into despair in the process.

But in DR3, they're all brainwashed simultaneously and that's how they fell into despair? What the gently caress? Did they have so little planning and were they that desperate to get the Hope's Peak arc over with that they had to contradict the explanation given in a prior installment?

Actually, I don't remember who said that exactly but if it was Junko or Monukuma they were most likely lying, because Naeigi talks about then being brainwashed in DR2:

Also this:

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
It just happens that all their personalities and worries are "muh nanami".

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
It's not unreasonable to think that you'd have to take advantage of someone's personalities and worries to make their brain susceptible to brainwashing, like what was done to Makoto that drove him to commit suicide, but the series hasn't done any work to show that's what happened so the villain just ends up being the nebulous term that is brainwashing instead of a calculated plan that targets each student particularly.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm not sure junko had much contact with class 77 at all. i think she just provided the tools to yukizome who then did all the heavy lifting.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Serious Frolicking posted:

i'm not sure junko had much contact with class 77 at all. i think she just provided the tools to yukizome who then did all the heavy lifting.

Which sounds pretty accurate to her methodology. Even in the first game she barely does anything, as the school was set-up by the Headmaster to be the way it was, the Monokuma were built by other people, Sakura was a traitor and feeding information, and the actual heavy lifting for the mind-wipes was presumably done by Mukuro the actually trained one woman army. Her entire job in the first game was to supply motives that she probably got from elsewhere, control the robots, and pick which screens to broadcast. The most work she did was designing the executions and those are mostly ironic punishments to begin with and thus not necessarily hard to come up with ideas for. I'm pretty sure the students killed more people then she did too in the context of the game.

Basically it seems Junko's tactics boil down to finding impressionable or making impressionable people with talents or useful relationships, then corrupting them to her way of thought and letting them run wild. I mean the remnants appear to have done more damage after her death because they stopped listening to her and instead acted in the spirit of her message.

Junko would be basically powerless if people ignored her and that's the entire joke, Makoto too for that matter.

CryingAthena
Nov 12, 2013

Lord_Magmar posted:

I mean the remnants appear to have done more damage after her death because they stopped listening to her and instead acted in the spirit of her message.

So now Junko's The Boss from Metal Gear? :stare:

I hope they're not going to try and wrap this all up in 23 minutes or less and Hope Arc really is an hour long like I've seen get suggested. Any bets on if they'll try to set up the new game at the end, too?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Mitarai is running around with a hope video making people do what he wants and being evil. his NG is "using his talent". this is stupid as gently caress

e:
this episode is extremely terrible, words can't describe it. Half of it's a recap of the series.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Sep 26, 2016

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
I'm going to wait for the subs for my final decision on this episode, but Ryota just pulling a Lelouch and MIND HACKING literally everyone the first moment he gets is hilarious.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Oh Kodaka. Don't mind me, I'm just gonna watch the fandom melt down :regd08:

Apparently Tengan ordered Despair Chisa to retrieve the mindhack videos, and he wanted to test his tolerance to the Student Council killing video first (lol). I guess the explanation for Tengan is that he never realized he became a Remnant of Despair because Chisa switched the USBs she retrieved for him, and that's why his bracelet never triggered?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Look, I'm gonna be real. I tried to keep track of what happened but it's so loving stupid and confusing and I barely understand Japanese as is so... here's what I did catch. Beware, today's episode is really stupid in weird ways.

Tengan gets handed the despair video from Chisa, he asks if she watched it and she responds "no".

Cut to the guys looking at Mitarai's phone and they get the message from Tengan that's pre-recorded. He basically says that he's counting on Mitarai and that he's proud of his videos or something. Was distracted so didn't catch it all. Mitarai crumples thinking that he really was despair before manning up and telling the group that he helped Junko make the despair anime. He then reveals that he made a Hope Anime to counter it and he'll brainwash the world into blindly loving hope instead.

Naegi goes "no dude that's hosed up we can do this without brainwashing" only for him to flash Aoi the video turning her into a slave and she restrains Naegi. "We're not strong like you Naegi." and he walks off.

Military busts in and look for survivors only to find Mitarai. He then brainwashes them with his video and reveals his NG code was "using his talent". The video is then broadcast to all of the army dudes there and they're commanded to stop Naegi. Army guys find him and Aoi and hold them at gunpoint only for Munakata to get back and save them.

They agree that Mitarai has snapped in a attempt to save the world and he has to be stopped. They hurry after him getting past guards and whatnot. Munakata uses himself as a distraction and the two DR1 members continue to hunt for anime-man. Aoi is shot in the leg in the process and is forced to be left behind. Mitarai climbs to the top of the tower and starts broadcasting his anime to the world brainwashing loving everyone. People with monokuma masks, the people in towa city. Everyone.

Munakata gets his second sword back and tries to fight back but is presumed to be restrained. Aoi is captured and Naegi is held at gunpoint and stopped.

Cut to the theater with Chisa. She and Junko are watching the entire series and man I don't know what the hell is going on other then Junko praising Chisa for loving up her own class. Chisa then shakes it off and finally gets color back in her eyes before saying nah I like hope again now.

Cut to loving Hagakure dropkicking a guard and saving Naegi- Togami following after him with his army of super butlers. They team up and leave- final harsh cut to a corpse filled hallway, ton of dead/defeated guards with Izuru walking through them. Hajime is back.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I overslept and missed the stream. That sounds dumb as hell.

Then again, that's more or less how I expected things to end.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Ahaha what. :psyduck:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Mindblast posted:

Ahaha what. :psyduck:

Legit picture of the stream

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

I love it. It transcends language barriers effortlessly.

In a way I am looking forward to witnessing it myself.

COBRARocky
Jul 28, 2013

I honestly would have preferred Junko again

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

quite fitting that Hell in the Danganronpa universe is being forced to watch Danganronpa 3

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
This anime pulled the biggest plot twist of all though: It wasn't Junko in the flesh/AI again holy gently caress.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

Not gonna lie, I'm kind of morbidly excited to see how stupid this gets when I come home from work today

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

I'm hoping literally every person on the Internet is wrong/lying about this episode cause I was really looking forward to it. :(

e: I had my hopes up

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Look, I'm gonna be real. I tried to keep track of what happened but it's so loving stupid and confusing and I barely understand Japanese as is so... here's what I did catch. Beware, today's episode is really stupid in weird ways.
I can't believe the Zero Escape memes were real

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

I like how the spoilers in this thread before subs are available are sometimes not exactly the most accurate accounts around.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

this episode is extremely terrible, words can't describe it. Half of it's a recap of the series.

I think 3 minutes and 20 seconds out of 24 minutes is somewhat less than "half".

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Okay, a "meticulously timed to defend an awful decision no one liked" 3 minutes and 20 seconds of the episode is terrible recapping. Point being, it was poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

cloofish posted:

e: I had my hopes up

They want you to feel despair though.

Edit: gently caress, i'm on a roll for last posts in page.

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Sep 26, 2016

• Locked thread