Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

harperdc posted:

I'm going to laugh really, really hard if it turns out the ESM-Nissan's engine is a 3.0 liter twin turbo we may have seen being unimpressive somewhat recently.

It's a revised version of their GT3 engine, apparently.

DailySportsCar posted:

(Update – Team owner Scott Sharp has now confirmed that the power plant will actually be a version of NISMO’s GT3 spec twin turbo V6 – NOT the same unit utilised in the ill-starred LMP1 GT-R LM)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

JDC-Miller just announced they are moving up too, with an Oreca 07 Gibson. Keeping the PC car as well.

Looking pretty good for double digit full season protos.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Sep 22, 2016

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Wow, that means Misha Goihkberg has moved up 3 classes in as many years. He was running in prototype lites in 2015, moved up to PC this year.

He hasn't done the best in PC this year, was a bit sloppy but he has potential to do great things.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Anyone going to the Petit Le Mans at Road Atlanta next week? I'll be camping down by Turn 5 from Thursday through Sunday morning if anyone is.

The Range
Sep 20, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois
[poof]

Somebody fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Sep 23, 2016

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
see what happens when you kill GBS, Dare starts posting in the racing threads

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

first permaban ive seen in a racing thread. huh!

also, meet the WEC-spec 2017+ Ligier:

for comparison, the 2016 Ligier. pretty similar, but thats pretty expected.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

I went to eliminations yesterday at the NHRA AAA Nationals in St. Louis and within 5 minutes of walking into the pit area from the parking lot, I was immediately downwind of Brittany Force's top fueler when it fired up for the warm-ups and I got an unexpected huff of straight nitromethane exiting the pipes. My sinuses immediately unloaded and my eyes started watering and wouldn't stop. I toughed it out for a couple hours in the stands as I brought a buddy who was having a great time, but eventually had to leave because my eyes and sinuses were too much. He had to drive home as I could hardly keep my eyes open as they burned like a mother. I got home and flushed my eyes out in the shower for like 15 minutes and felt much better, but everything was still pretty f'ed up. I woke up this morning and while much better, I still felt like I had a bad cold so I figured i better head to the doctor.

Turns out I have a mild case of nitromethane poisoning and severely irritated eyes. Was given special eye drops and im already feeling much better at least.

Nitro is no loving joke. It's never bothered me before, but after this miserable experience I think I'm going to keep my rear end out of the pits when cars are warming up. Well, or at least be more cognizant of what's going on.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Photos from IMSA @ COTA: http://arstechnica.com/cars/2016/09/the-2016-weathertech-lone-star-le-mans-in-pictures/

WEC piece will go up later today.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

BMW are entering WEC with a factory GT team in 2018 and are formally working with Andretti in the upcoming Formula E season. Interesting expansions.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
I was hoping they'd homologate the M6 GTLM. Seemed odd to me that they had IT for IMSA but not for FIA/ACO.

E: now to wish and pray for a Mercedes AMG and McLaren GTE program

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
My piece on the hybrids at COTA wasn't meant to be this long but here's 3,000 words about them anyway: http://arstechnica.com/cars/2016/09/getting-to-know-the-1000hp-hybrids-of-the-world-endurance-championship/

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

drgitlin posted:

My piece on the hybrids at COTA wasn't meant to be this long but here's 3,000 words about them anyway: http://arstechnica.com/cars/2016/09/getting-to-know-the-1000hp-hybrids-of-the-world-endurance-championship/

I dig it.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

I was hoping they'd homologate the M6 GTLM. Seemed odd to me that they had IT for IMSA but not for FIA/ACO.

E: now to wish and pray for a Mercedes AMG and McLaren GTE program

the M6 is already homologated as a GT3, it's up-scaled to run as GTLM only in the US just like the Z4 before it. That should indicate how important the US market is to BMW. I like their strategy of using Formula E and WEC/IMSA, as well as customer racing through GT3. Just curious what they'll race.

McLaren might be GTE but I doubt some of the others would do the same because GT3 is "we'll equalize whatever you bring" while GTLM is more traditional rulebook-wise. Therefore, harder for things like the Bentley or M6 to be as equal. I'm worried the Mercedes AMG GT would fall in the latter camp as well, and for GTLM would require a new engine to be developed, too (the GT3 uses the same engine as the SLS).

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

drgitlin posted:

3,000 words isn't enough.

Hey so at Ars do you just laugh at everyone dorking out over iPhones while you drive a McLaren for a day?

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

harperdc posted:

the M6 is already homologated as a GT3, it's up-scaled to run as GTLM only in the US just like the Z4 before it. That should indicate how important the US market is to BMW. I like their strategy of using Formula E and WEC/IMSA, as well as customer racing through GT3. Just curious what they'll race.

McLaren might be GTE but I doubt some of the others would do the same because GT3 is "we'll equalize whatever you bring" while GTLM is more traditional rulebook-wise. Therefore, harder for things like the Bentley or M6 to be as equal. I'm worried the Mercedes AMG GT would fall in the latter camp as well, and for GTLM would require a new engine to be developed, too (the GT3 uses the same engine as the SLS).

Maybe they will do like Honda did the NSX and race the Z5 before the road car is out

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

harperdc posted:

If Ferrari and Ford can homologate the 488 and GT for GTE then McLaren can homologate the 650S. They just don't see a market for it.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

julian assflange posted:

Maybe they will do like Honda did the NSX and race the Z5 before the road car is out

Saw rumbles that it won't be that because Toyota has the exclusivity on the coupe version.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

holocaust bloopers posted:

3,000 words isn't enough.

Hey so at Ars do you just laugh at everyone dorking out over iPhones while you drive a McLaren for a day?

Pretty much.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

drgitlin posted:

If Ferrari and Ford can homologate the 488 and GT for GTE then McLaren can homologate the 650S. They just don't see a market for it.

The Ford is a full factory effort, but the Ferrari is a good example. Every GTE car has a works team either in IMSA or the WEC, they must be deciding not to join those at this time.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

http://www.racer.com/more/viewpoints/item/134825-insight-a-farewell-to-daytona-prototypes?showall=1
Pruett has a great writeup about the end of the DP era.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

harperdc posted:

The Ford is a full factory effort, but the Ferrari is a good example. Every GTE car has a works team either in IMSA or the WEC, they must be deciding not to join those at this time.

I think AF Corse (maybe under SMP now cause rich Russians) are practically the factory arm for Ferrari where Ferrari themselves can work on the F1 team.

As for BMW that M6 is gt3 homologated and IMSA has given clearance for both GTLM M6 and Z4 to compete while ACO forbids those cars so it's going to be a new car of some sort.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
DPs had some of the best racing around from about '04-'07, before the grid numbers collapsed. I'll kinda miss them.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
they were ugly tanks but then again that's why they were charming

tube frame race cars, best race cars

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
I never went out of my way to watch the DPs. The racing was good, the Daytona 24h was always fun, but the cars never got my juices going. It was sportscar racing that was overly Americanized, which is what I think made me not like it as much as the ALMS.

On the other hand, I never realized how durable, long-lasting, and cost-effective the DPs were. Shank made a very good point about how the split hurt the down-ladder open wheel teams, and that the DPs emerged as a perfect alternative for them to make a profitable living in sportscars. Perhaps the emergence of Grand-Am, through the DPs, was the catalyst that ultimately healed the "split" in sportcars and the new, more universal P2 formula IMSA is trying to adopt.

I'm not going to miss the DPs for what they did on the track, but I can definitely appreciate for what they did for racing off of it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Durable and long lasting are an understatement. 30-40k miles of racing on a single chassis?

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BMB5150 posted:

As for BMW that M6 is gt3 homologated and IMSA has given clearance for both GTLM M6 and Z4 to compete while ACO forbids those cars so it's going to be a new car of some sort.

i8? They are pretty small though

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

julian assflange posted:

i8? They are pretty small though

Same size as 570S more or less. But it's got a 1.5L 3 cylinder engine. There's no way to make that competitive in GTE. An M4 or M6 is most likely.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

drgitlin posted:

Same size as 570S more or less. But it's got a 1.5L 3 cylinder engine. There's no way to make that competitive in GTE. An M4 or M6 is most likely.

Oh I didn't know the engine had to be the same as the road car in those categories.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

drgitlin posted:

Well considering what Ford did, I wouldn't be surprised if they build something from scratch then made a car from it. At this point Porsche and Corvette rumored to be going mid-engine, I don't know if BMW would want to be left behind in a front engined car.

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
Probably a new Panoz GT program coming to either GTE/LM or GT3 based off their new Esperante Avezzano:

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

julian assflange posted:

Oh I didn't know the engine had to be the same as the road car in those categories.

Actually after looking at the rules again, they could use any series production engine. Might be a lot of work re-engineering the car from having a transverse 3 to a longitudinal V8, but maybe not given the subframe design.

quote:

The engine must be derived from a series production Engine produced at more than 300 units and fitted to a series vehicle from the same manufacturer.
If a mean of propulsion different than an internal combustion engine is considered, it needs to be used directly from the original car without any modification. In this case, FIA/ACO reserve the right to use any means they would deem appropriate to balance the performance of such a car.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Postin from the Petit Le Mans at the beginning of the back straight and drat is it loud

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

PR1 announced they are gonna use the WEC spec Ligier next year. So the only WEC spec P2 missing right now in IMSA is the Dallara, although the car will be around in Cadillac guise.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Ben Keating of the Viper team heavily implied his plans next year by saying he will race what he sells. Keating owns a Mercedes dealership. So mark down that team to probably going to get a Mercedes. In said place I found the rumor, he's getting an lmp2 car which someone implied about Mercedes showing an interest in getting into DPi next year.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

BMB5150 posted:

Ben Keating of the Viper team heavily implied his plans next year by saying he will race what he sells. Keating owns a Mercedes dealership. So mark down that team to probably going to get a Mercedes. In said place I found the rumor, he's getting an lmp2 car which someone implied about Mercedes showing an interest in getting into DPi next year.

Oh, this rumor is back. I want this to be true :unsmith: cmon MBUSA, sign off on the drat thing.

Considering the posts here too I can imagine some kind of i8 becomes the BMW GTE car. Too many advantages to MR vs an M4/6.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
In the quali session, Hindy mentioned that the DeltaWing has been given a stay of execution, and will be allowed to participate in the 2017 Rolex24 at Daytona :neckbeard:

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Weather looks better than last year :v:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

yo i dont wanna rock the boat but this john pew fellow? seems bad. bad at the racecar driving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Remember when Pew and Krohn came together at Le Mans?

https://cdn-w1.streamable.com/video/mp4/w0vy.mp4?token=1476551676_3f29c3a44522403412f64d20ba0e0a7629af99f5

• Locked thread