Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
No not $14k, maybe like $8k? Am I crazy?

Piss off Phone, a big reason I like asking stuff here is because the advice is great and it's helped me make a lot of choices. AI decisions can be tough!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Depending on how old you are and how your career is going, it is not inconceivable to think that you'll have $15k in cash in a few years, at which point you only need to worry about the $3-5k every few years to sell your (now) $10k car and buy a new $15k car.

If you can get to paying cash, it's a good strategy. If you're going to be making payments forever...might as well get a lease.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Phone posted:

Stop replying to Mr Pink; he's an obtuse moron that refuses to take good advice.

Remember when you were in high school and your family thought you were good at computers, and then your aunt/uncle asked you for a recommendation for a new computer? So you spent a few days doing some research and compiling a list of pros/cons for half a dozen systems only to find out that they went out and bought an eMachines 2 days ago? That's Michael Scott, that's who you're replying to.

But but but! (My answer to that question is "Whatever apple will sell you for $2,500" and now I don't get asked that anymore.)

Michael Scott posted:

No not $14k, maybe like $8k? Am I crazy?

Piss off Phone, a big reason I like asking stuff here is because the advice is great and it's helped me make a lot of choices. AI decisions can be tough!

Good news, you can lease a BMW and get a MUCH nicer car. $250/month + ((14-8)/36) = 250 + $166 = $416. BMW will lease you a 3 series for $369 right on their website with no negotiation. If your sales guy is smart he will call you up every 2 years and offer to "swap it out" with a few signatures. It's exactly what you want. Demand more miles. This will actually save you money.

You will never have to do maintenance, the car will tell HQ who will call you to schedule your free appointments for oil changes, set you up with a loaner, etc. The fit and finish on them is way better than whatever shitbox you're driving for $15k used. You have to do the test drive to believe it.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

photomikey posted:

If you can get to paying cash, it's a good strategy. If you're going to be making payments forever...might as well get a lease.

Counterpoint: When money's as cheap as it is right now and residuals so high, leases are fine. If you've got the room in your budget to drive a brand new car and are good at negotiating, I've seen some outstanding 2 or 3 year lease deals. My dad's in a brand new high trim Sonata with 0 lease down payment (why would anyone do those?) and 0 first month payment at $230/mo.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
My buddy is leasing a fully loaded Camry for $240/month with 2k down. That's a $33k car. He's a financial consultant and saving money is his full time job. Leasing a car can be economical enough. Previously he had great success driving cars from http://www.swapalease.com/ The premise is that you let someone else eat the downpayment, and you finish off the remainder for chump change.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

It's interesting that people are asserting that leases are or are not fine without showing the math.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Thermopyle posted:

It's interesting that people are asserting that leases are or are not fine without showing the math.
What math do you want to see? Here is a Prius that you can drive for 11 months. All numbers are present and accounted for.

http://www.swapalease.com/lease/details/2014-Toyota-Prius-c.aspx?salid=998763

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Nitrox posted:

What math do you want to see? Here is a Prius that you can drive for 11 months. All numbers are present and accounted for.

http://www.swapalease.com/lease/details/2014-Toyota-Prius-c.aspx?salid=998763

As mentioned within the last couple pages, a Prius c sure as hell isn't a Prius.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Nitrox posted:

What math do you want to see?

Is this a real question?

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Any thoughts on a 2009 Accord EX-L Coupe? V6, manual transmission, 30k miles, and it's at a price we're happy with. I've read that it has particularly nasty blind spots. Does the V6 have any big issues I should be on the lookout for?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

two_beer_bishes posted:

Any thoughts on a 2009 Accord EX-L Coupe? V6, manual transmission, 30k miles, and it's at a price we're happy with. I've read that it has particularly nasty blind spots. Does the V6 have any big issues I should be on the lookout for?

only 30k miles on a 7 or 8 year old car? Goddamn. I'd be prepared to replace lots of rubber bits.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Twerk from Home posted:

only 30k miles on a 7 or 8 year old car? Goddamn. I'd be prepared to replace lots of rubber bits.

If it's a few thousand a year it's fine. If it's 30k in a year or two then parked you'd have an issue.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
According to the carfax it's pretty well spread out.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

two_beer_bishes posted:

According to the carfax it's pretty well spread out.
You got nothing to worry about, go wild

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

H110Hawk posted:

Good news, you can lease a BMW and get a MUCH nicer car. $250/month + ((14-8)/36) = 250 + $166 = $416. BMW will lease you a 3 series for $369 right on their website with no negotiation. If your sales guy is smart he will call you up every 2 years and offer to "swap it out" with a few signatures. It's exactly what you want. Demand more miles. This will actually save you money.

You will never have to do maintenance, the car will tell HQ who will call you to schedule your free appointments for oil changes, set you up with a loaner, etc. The fit and finish on them is way better than whatever shitbox you're driving for $15k used. You have to do the test drive to believe it.

Twerk from Home posted:

Counterpoint: When money's as cheap as it is right now and residuals so high, leases are fine. If you've got the room in your budget to drive a brand new car and are good at negotiating, I've seen some outstanding 2 or 3 year lease deals. My dad's in a brand new high trim Sonata with 0 lease down payment (why would anyone do those?) and 0 first month payment at $230/mo.

These are both great points. However, the math I think points a little more to my strategy (purchasing then selling) when you're talking about the kind of car I can afford. I am confused about the math on Hawk's post though? The number would just be ((14-8)/36), why would you add the monthly payment on top of that?

I am currently eyeing a prior rental 2015 Mazda3 for like $12k. If I want to sell it in 2-3 years, there's no way it will depreciate like $13,000 which is the cost of a nicer car lease (BMW or what have you) over 3 years. It might depreciate $4,000 or so, which means it would cost me $4,000 in purchase price to drive a car for that time period as opposed to $13k for the luxosport lease.

As I grow in my career and hopefully make more money, the luxury car leases will look more attractive financially.

I have spent some time in the BMW thread in AI and they have some serious self-loathing on the cheaper BMWs, for kinda good reason. For example that $369/mo lease offer you quoted is for a 320i sedan with 170 horsepower. I might as well just buy the fuckin Mazda 3 with a little less HP for a much smaller total cost, right?

Motronic posted:

You might want to think about how these statements go together.

If you're buying a "new-ish" car that is only worth $15k it's likely to be a "cheap-er" budget car that is going to be "clapped out" as far as appearance and interior annoyances because it's a budget car. If you buy the right ones they will still drive fine and be safe, but yeah....the interior is going to fall apart and the general cosmetics will go downhill.

If you want a nice car you need to spend nice car money on it, either for the initial purchase or for maintenance and repairs. Many of them are made with much higher attention to detail and quality as far as appearance and creature comforts, but that comes with a cost.

Exactly what cars have you been buying? Let's see if I'm right here.

I dunno man, I haven't gone on a test drive yet but the 2015 Mazda3 for $11-13k doesn't seem clapped out at all and doesn't seem to have any annoyances. That's the car I'm strongly considering right now.

https://www.hertzcarsales.com/Vehicle-Details/2015-Mazda-Mazda3-Des%20Plaines-14600301

Nice cars cost so much goddamn money it's ridiculous.

Michael Scott fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Sep 26, 2016

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007
You should get that looked at

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-Toyota-Prius-Portland-d15_L14053#listing=150453718

Anybody have an opinion on this one? I checked it out on Edmund's and it seems like the price is good.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Michael Scott posted:

These are both great points. However, the math I think points a little more to my strategy (purchasing then selling) when you're talking about the kind of car I can afford. I am confused about the math on Hawk's post though? The number would just be ((14-8)/36), why would you add the monthly payment on top of that?

I am currently eyeing a prior rental 2015 Mazda3 for like $12k. If I want to sell it in 2-3 years, there's no way it will depreciate like $8,000 which is the cost of a nicer car lease (BMW or what have you) over 3 years. It might depreciate $4,000 or so, which means it would cost me $4,000 in purchase price to drive a car for that time period as opposed to $8k for the luxosport lease.

So lease a brand new Mazda3.

https://www.mazdausa.com/shopping-tools/special-offers-and-incentives#zip=90001&year=2016&modelCode=M3S&type=lease&index=0

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Michael Scott posted:

I am currently eyeing a prior rental 2015 Mazda3 for like $12k. If I want to sell it in 2-3 years, there's no way it will depreciate like $8,000 which is the cost of a nicer car lease (BMW or what have you) over 3 years. It might depreciate $4,000 or so, which means it would cost me $4,000 in purchase price to drive a car for that time period as opposed to $8k for the luxosport lease.

God drat man, if you're buying former rental cars no wonder you think what should be lightly used cars feel clapped out after a couple years.

Don't buy a rental. It's in the loving thread title.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Sorry, my math was wrong on my original post. This still seems like stereotypical Lease Is A Bad Deal.

Total cost is $7884 over 3 years. There's no way that my 2015 Mazda3 purchased for $12k will depreciate by $8k over 2-3 years, right? Plus I have the flexibility of doing whatever to it.

Guinness posted:

God drat man, if you're buying former rental cars no wonder you think what should be lightly used cars feel clapped out after a couple years.

Don't buy a rental. It's in the loving thread title.

All my clapped out cars have been old non-rentals with 1 conservative owner other than me. Of the rental cars I've driven, even 30k+ mile ones, they all seemed nice. I do know it goes against conventional wisdom and the thread title. They have a comprehensive warranty from the manufacturer.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

NO RENTALS and no salvage titles.

Do not buy the former rental they are treated with the respect you'd expect of a company that knows they'll have it for 2 years max, and people who will have it for less than 2 weeks.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Hey, remember when I said "Michael Scott is a moron who will ignore good advice and buy an eMachines"?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Michael Scott posted:

I am currently eyeing a prior rental 2015

So you are pretty much not looking for this thread's advice unless it fits your preconceived notion of what that advice should be (and you already know those two things don't go together).

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

guys im in a well should i keep digging?

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Ok ok, I will avoid the rental, I thought I could escape the disadvantages with good inspection, luck, and warranty, but probably not. I was mostly just trying to ignore that cars are horribly expensive. I'm sorry!

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

guys im in a well should i keep digging?

Yes also please use IE and bing to look for ways to burn the rope we'll be throwing down later

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbhxjVvfGlE

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

tater_salad posted:

Yes also please use IE and bing to look for ways to burn the rope we'll be throwing down later

It's called Edge now, thanks.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Phone posted:

It's called Edge now, thanks.

No I need IE because of Java for remote connection to work , it's still in win 10.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Michael Scott posted:

cars are horribly expensive. I'm sorry!

It's possible that this should also be in the thread title.

Styliferous
Apr 23, 2005

ElectroBolt™
by Ryan Industries
Grimey Drawer
I've got a quick question. I'm in the market for a used vehicle after my current car finally crapped the bed and will likely need a new transmission. I've been looking very heavily at getting a Gen 2 Prius for somewhere in the $5,000 range, but I've heard a lot of cross talk about the lifespan of the NiMH batteries that power the electric motors in the car.

How concerned about this should I be when looking at a Prius in the ~150k mile range? I can post a budget if necessary.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Styliferous posted:

I've got a quick question. I'm in the market for a used vehicle after my current car finally crapped the bed and will likely need a new transmission. I've been looking very heavily at getting a Gen 2 Prius for somewhere in the $5,000 range, but I've heard a lot of cross talk about the lifespan of the NiMH batteries that power the electric motors in the car.

How concerned about this should I be when looking at a Prius in the ~150k mile range? I can post a budget if necessary.
A shop specializing in Prius battery replacement, told me mid 200's is when you should expect loss of performance. They rarely fail outright, and there is possibility of partial replacement, not sure how that works. Either way, your Prius will still run on gasoline engine alone. I wouldn't worry too much.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Nitrox posted:

A shop specializing in Prius battery replacement, told me mid 200's is when you should expect loss of performance. They rarely fail outright, and there is possibility of partial replacement, not sure how that works. Either way, your Prius will still run on gasoline engine alone. I wouldn't worry too much.

The battery packs are a series of cells just like your car battery, except instead of 6 of them in a convenient package there are a bunch of individual cells all strung together. You basically take the whole thing apart, inspect all the terminals, do a capacity check on each cell, and replace the ones which are low or dead. Google has a bunch of images to illustrate what I'm talking about. There is a lot of juice in a prius battery, don't muck around with one if you don't understand how to do so safely.

These days you can have it done in your driveway. It's like replacing an automatic transmission, they put a reconditioned one in your car and take yours away to recondition and sell to the next person.

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007

So I just bought a (used) 2012 Prius 2. Only issue (that I only actually noticed after driving it home) is that driving it seems to give me foot pain - in the arch of my foot. I have small feet and am short. I'm super frustrated and am probably going to return/exchange it, I don't want to deal with loving foot pain all the time as I spend a lot of time on my feet already. I'm driving it to work tomorrow and if I have the same issue it's going back. Goddamn it I hate this shittttt

I was alright with the dealership itself, obviously this isn't an issue they could predict. And I'm cool with Toyotas, just the Prius apparently hurts me. Is there a good year for Corollas or Camrys (or other Toyota offerings) I should look at? I know what I can afford (10-11,000) and I do mostly city driving.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

porkswordonboard posted:

So I just bought a (used) 2012 Prius 2. Only issue (that I only actually noticed after driving it home) is that driving it seems to give me foot pain - in the arch of my foot. I have small feet and am short. I'm super frustrated and am probably going to return/exchange it, I don't want to deal with loving foot pain all the time as I spend a lot of time on my feet already. I'm driving it to work tomorrow and if I have the same issue it's going back. Goddamn it I hate this shittttt

I was alright with the dealership itself, obviously this isn't an issue they could predict. And I'm cool with Toyotas, just the Prius apparently hurts me. Is there a good year for Corollas or Camrys (or other Toyota offerings) I should look at? I know what I can afford (10-11,000) and I do mostly city driving.

Well, I did a bit of googling and apparently the pedal was shortened and mounted higher in some recent revision. You can get larger pedals that install on top of the existing pedal (like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/product/B000CMD7CY ) or pedal extensions (like these http://www.creativecontrolsinc.com/products/pedalmates.htm ).

Your dealership will almost certainly be happy to install and adjust these for you, if you're not into DIY.

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007

Blitter posted:

Well, I did a bit of googling and apparently the pedal was shortened and mounted higher in some recent revision. You can get larger pedals that install on top of the existing pedal (like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/product/B000CMD7CY ) or pedal extensions (like these http://www.creativecontrolsinc.com/products/pedalmates.htm ).

Your dealership will almost certainly be happy to install and adjust these for you, if you're not into DIY.

Oh thank god, you've really eased my mind. I'm sure some of it comes from adjusting to a new pedal, but I was really doubting myself for a while. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me with this! I hope you like dogs, 'cause here's a couple dog pics as a token of my appreciation:

His name is Jeb and he's kitted out for Valentine's Day here.

His name is Kitty (really)

Sits on Pilster
Oct 12, 2004
I like to wear bras on my ass while I masturbate?
Purely in terms of TCO, would a 2011 Prius with 90k miles justify a $3k premium versus a 2008 Prius with 100k miles?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Sits on Pilster posted:

Purely in terms of TCO, would a 2011 Prius with 90k miles justify a $3k premium versus a 2008 Prius with 100k miles?

All other things being equal I would absolutely get the cheaper one. $3k is a lot and 3 years and 10k miles is basically nothing. The average car on the road in the US is over 10 years old, remember.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
So here's my ideal car:
Under 30k, used/new.
Hugely reliable.
Mid-sized car.
Decent accoutrements, cant be barebones but dont need rear end massager seats
Punchy engine, no screamer but nothing i have to constantly downshift to get some go.
At least 30mpg combined.

There are cars that check some boxes (new civic hatch is my current target but worried its 170hp turbo isnt strong enough) but afaik none that check all.

Wish Acura still made decent cars. I still want a mid-2000s TL but those i can find are way too high milage or salvage.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Ammanas posted:

So here's my ideal car:
Under 30k, used/new.
Hugely reliable.
Mid-sized car.
Decent accoutrements, cant be barebones but dont need rear end massager seats
Punchy engine, no screamer but nothing i have to constantly downshift to get some go.
At least 30mpg combined.

There are cars that check some boxes (new civic hatch is my current target but worried its 170hp turbo isnt strong enough) but afaik none that check all.

Wish Acura still made decent cars. I still want a mid-2000s TL but those i can find are way too high milage or salvage.

A priusv in 'PWR' mode checks pretty much all of those. Except the punchy engine one. Even in PWR mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I've got a 2013 accord sport, I'm not sure how "punchy" you want but it's roomy, Decent accouterments, pushing the foot to the floor makes the CVT switch to a higher RPM in teh power band, or you can press the downshift button on the wheel and make it happen. on my last trip meter reset, I covered about 800 miles mixed city and highway driving I got about 31 MPG. If I'm going to cleveland (180 miles mostly highway) I can average around 36 with a 75mph average speed.