Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Neo_Crimson posted:

The Sakura method is pretty much the best method in this game, yeah. If you're looking for a good GS set, try the Black set. It has Focus and Crit Draw right out the box, and you can gem in Quick Sheath or Punish Draw with a decent charm.

Ugghh that set looks great but it'd mean I'd have to go yet another hunter rank without a proper GS armor set. I'm still wearing my volvidon s/vespoid s mixed set for focus/sheathing and capping around 230 defense is starting to be a problem. It'd be fine if I could just play GS without those two skills but the weapon just feels too slow without them.

I'll just have to somehow console myself with my kickass seltas armor and ever increasing piles of money while I hunt for a decent charm for a little while longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
There's Duramboros armor with 2 slots open after you slot in one gem for focus. Still need a good sheathing charm though.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Neo_Crimson posted:

The Sakura method is pretty much the best method in this game, yeah. If you're looking for a good GS set, try the Black set. It has Focus and Crit Draw right out the box, and you can gem in Quick Sheath or Punish Draw with a decent charm.

On that note, is there a reason to meld red amulets? Or is it basically pointless once you can Sakura farm?

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Neo_Crimson posted:

The Sakura method is pretty much the best method in this game, yeah.

Note: for the Sakura method make sure you're doing the Coal quest in an ONLINE hub. You can do online hub quests solo, but the rewards for the coal quest are different (and lovely) in the offline hub.

Edit: clarification

Bummey fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Sep 25, 2016

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Bummey posted:

Note: for the Sakura method make sure you're doing the Coal quest in an ONLINE hub. You can do online hub quests solo, but the rewards are different (and lovely) in the offline hub.

Wait, what? Does this just relate to charms or pretty much any rewards for other quests too? I always thought the rewards were basically the same for online and offline as long as it's a guild quest

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Squidtentacle posted:

Wait, what? Does this just relate to charms or pretty much any rewards for other quests too? I always thought the rewards were basically the same for online and offline as long as it's a guild quest

It's just a programming oversight that happens to apply to the sakura method where you trick the game into thinking you're multiple players. It could apply to other quests, but I don't think there's any other quests that has the same open bound item turn-in finish condition that the coal quest has, so you can't dupe other quests the same way.

wocobob
Jan 7, 2014

damages enemies w/ corn
Holy poo poo, Zinogre is the coolest monster in the whole god drat series. Those backflips! That super saiyan lightning!

I want to break this fight over my knee now.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

wocobob posted:

Holy poo poo, Zinogre is the coolest monster in the whole god drat series. Those backflips! That super saiyan lightning!

Iunno, Amatsu's got a major "final boss" vibe to the whole fight going on.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

wocobob posted:

:hf:

Thor's Dog is my favorite, too. Rathian was my first fight in the series that made me go, "Oh sweet, I'm slaying a dragon," but Zinogre will always be my #1 cool lightning doggo. I love how he struts around and poses majestically. Zinogre doesn't care that you're hitting him with an axe the size of your body. He just wants to look good for the camera.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
What's the fastest way to do Sakura? My current ritual is to eat for Explorer and bring a Farcaster, ignore the secret area, mine the sole red node in 8, mine the red nodes in 9, then if I have 10 coal Farcaster back or let the remobras eat me. Turn in the coal, grab the paw pass and another Farcaster from the box, finish mining in 4, then warp back and finish the quest. Takes about two minutes if I get ten coal from the starting areas.

Theta Zero posted:

Iunno, Amatsu's got a major "final boss" vibe to the whole fight going on.

It was the final boss in the PSP game the west never got, so yeah that's about right

dragon enthusiast fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Sep 26, 2016

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

dragon enthusiast posted:

What's the fastest way to do Sakura? My current ritual is to eat for Explorer and bring a Farcaster, ignore the secret area, mine the sole red node in 8, mine the red nodes in 9, then if I have 10 coal Farcaster back or let the remobras eat me. Turn in the coal, grab the paw pass and another Farcaster from the box, finish mining in 4, then warp back and finish the quest. Takes about two minutes if I get ten coal from the starting areas.

That's about what mine is. I made the blue guild set and picked up a +6 charmer talisman somewhere, so I slotted in gathering god. If you don't have those you might not want to bother mining extraneous nodes, but I do since it doesn't take too much longer and usually adds 5 or more extra timeworn charms per run.

My route is largely the same, except mining all the nodes in the secret area except the one to the left of the exit since it can't drop charms. I also go to area 1 instead of 4, the node there is right next to the entrance to area 2 and you can literally just run behind the rajang to that node if the one in area 1 was being stingy.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Is the Hellblade armor set the best way to get Sharpness +2 or is there a way to get some variety with it?

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Veskit posted:

Is the Hellblade armor set the best way to get Sharpness +2 or is there a way to get some variety with it?
Esurient Mail chest piece with a Torso Up faulds or arm piece might work? Having a talisman with even +3 handicraft and 3 slots will really help out too.

A lot of mixed sets might have to wait for the Silver Solmail R (+4 Handicraft) when we get hyper silver rath DLC quest. That with Torso Up may enable some sets I want to make.

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

There's a few late game armor sets that also include handicraft: EX Brachydios, most flavors of Shagaru armor, Kushala Daora, Deviljho. There's also hyper jho and hyper silver los but they aren't released yet.

A good starting place for a mixed set would be Arc Braces R and Arc Greaves R (Storge Braces/Greaves for female characters). They both have 5 handicraft, so you should be able to fill in the last 5 points with a good talisman or decorations or whatever and you'll have three armor slots to do what you like with.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Veskit posted:

Savage Jho's set gives sharpness +2 and razor sharp and doesn't require you to kill a deviant 25-30 times.

Edit: Yeah, what those guys said.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

IT sounds like I'd have to 3 pieces of armor and a talisman to hit handicraft +2 proper. Hrmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm That's a tough call but grinding sucks but so I'll have a look and see what I can do.

Also I think I have handicraft 3 but I'm not sure on the slots so I may just be SOL.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Well, the regular glavenus set is 3 points away from sharpness +2. It also has enough slots that you can gem in a skill from scratch.

e: Unless you meant variety in the fashion sense, in which case this is a terrible idea

BMan fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Sep 26, 2016

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Yeah, if you're looking for fashion, Sharpness+2 is probably just too expensive. You would be better off targeting a good natural white sharpness weapon, giving you more flexibility to skill on looks.

Honestly, I don't notice much reason to target white outside of a damage multiplier. Most monsters don't bounce too much, and I get away with green of all things just fine, so outside of some absolute top end monsters you're just not going to need to worry about sharpness level.

Enter Gold/Silver Raths, or Savage Jho (less on the latter) and you may want a weapon/set that affords you white sharpness, but so far those are about the only examples where white is really going to be a big deal. More damage is great and all that, but I have pretty much been living in the Buccaneer set with little more than earplugs beside Fate. Haven't touched a white sharpness weapon until Silverwind Lance, just for the hell of it. It's fine. Even Alatreon doesn't seem to care for much beyond Green sharpness. Akantor SA in axe mode doesn't bounce off anything but the wings, a complete non-issue.

So bother with Sharpness+2 if you're going for a specialized build for a very specific weapon where having white sharpness is going to make or break it. Vanilla Azuros Longsword is a good example. It will result in the highest effective raw of any Sharpness+2 weapon. You can get more damage out of other weapons using other skills, but where Sharpness+2 benefits longsword, it is among the best options. For everything else you're probably better either ignoring damage entirely (Pirate's life for me), or else targeting other skills, since those natural white weapons can potentially have higher damage potential through Crit Bonus and stacked affinity.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

How can you not handicraft +2 on this thing though

http://mhgen.kiranico.com/hammer/spiked-hammer

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Veskit posted:

How can you not handicraft +2 on this thing though

http://mhgen.kiranico.com/hammer/spiked-hammer
You linked the wrong hammer. Don't worry, we all make mistakes.

http://mhgen.kiranico.com/hammer/anchor-hammer

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Kiggles posted:

You linked the wrong hammer. Don't worry, we all make mistakes.

http://mhgen.kiranico.com/hammer/anchor-hammer

This is monster hunter not GGXX :colbert:

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Anyone have any recommendations for armor sets for Lance? Guard+2 would be nice but I can live with Guard+1 if it gets me some good quality of life skills like Atk, Sharpness+1/2, or Razor Sharp. The same question for Blunt Edge, I have a LS and a Lance that are ideal for Blunt, but I have no idea what sets carry it or at least some points for it.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

I'm curious about lance sets as well. Right now I'm using a mixed set with three pieces of drilltusk armor to get Razor Sharp/Guard+2/Weakness Exploit, but the fact that I'm using so much deviant armor without even using its signature skill makes me feel like I could be doing a bit better than that.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Trick Question posted:

I'm curious about lance sets as well. Right now I'm using a mixed set with three pieces of drilltusk armor to get Razor Sharp/Guard+2/Weakness Exploit, but the fact that I'm using so much deviant armor without even using its signature skill makes me feel like I could be doing a bit better than that.

Ooh. Mind elaborating on the mixed set? That's a nice set of skills, and I have (technical) access to Drilltusk now.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Ooh. Mind elaborating on the mixed set? That's a nice set of skills, and I have (technical) access to Drilltusk now.

It's the drilltusk hat/hands/pants, along with the vaik S waist and the rathalos EX chest. It does need a sharpness + 5 OO charm, though. Or a worse charm and a weapon with a slot or two.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Was hunting a khezu with my striker gunlance earlier and discovered something fairly interesting I haven't seen mentioned before: Using absolute evasion only gives you invincibility frames for the duration of the skill, instead of making you immune to a continuous attack the way an adept dodge or blocking does. If I were to adept dodge info a khezu doing that one attack where it summons electricity around it, I could use the adept run to dash right back in and hit it (this is a terrible idea with this move, don't do this unless it's the second "gotcha" dome). If I use absolute evasion to dodge through it, I can dodge straight through khezu and get hit on the other side of it by the same attack.

This is easily solved by just aiming the skill away from the monster, but still seems worth knowing about for the handful of times it might apply.

Zombeef
Feb 15, 2014

Wrist Watch posted:

Was hunting a khezu with my striker gunlance earlier and discovered something fairly interesting I haven't seen mentioned before: Using absolute evasion only gives you invincibility frames for the duration of the skill, instead of making you immune to a continuous attack the way an adept dodge or blocking does. If I were to adept dodge info a khezu doing that one attack where it summons electricity around it, I could use the adept run to dash right back in and hit it (this is a terrible idea with this move, don't do this unless it's the second "gotcha" dome). If I use absolute evasion to dodge through it, I can dodge straight through khezu and get hit on the other side of it by the same attack.

This is easily solved by just aiming the skill away from the monster, but still seems worth knowing about for the handful of times it might apply.

It works the same way that blocking does, if you've already blocked the attack it won't hit you a second time. If you've adept evaded a specific attack it won't hit you twice, but the art is just on demand iframes w/o a trigger.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
My friend who's new to Monster Hunter wanted the Rajang armor for his first ventures into rank 6. Because the Rajang is pretty whacky, I open up the gates and let two pubs join, one who is also level 6 and then somebody around the rank 50 range. When the mission begins and we find the Rajang, the rank 50ish guy gets hit by two Rajang lasers and dies, which is a bit unfair but it happens so whatever. I ate for Felyne Insurance so the first cart didn't matter. Thankfully the rank 50ish guy made some wonderful decisions immediately afterwards such as:

Getting grabbed by the Rajang with low health and not escaping in time so he dies.

Not drinking cool drinks because we're in the desert and getting hit by a Rajang rock throw before then having the Rajang lightly bump into him so he dies.

Run over when I shoot the Rajang with sleep rounds while using my chat bind that says I'M SLEEPING IT, LET'S BOMB IT in advance when it's been in its sleeping animation for about five seconds and hitting it with the piddly little twig of a sword-thing he was using before I can put away my weapon to run over and set up bombs.

And because both my friend and the other pubbie who wasn't stupid were just reaching rank 6, I was the primary damage dealer, so the hunt goes well into the 20-minute range and I am stressing out using all my lifepowders and healing rounds to keep everyone from dying. We finally get the Rajang to start limping so I decide to play it safe and capture it. I run ahead of the Rajang and set up a trap in the next area, while my friend says he hopes I can capture it before the pubbie manages to get here.

So the pubbie managed to get there before I could capture it and decides it's been too long since he's last screwed up something and runs head-first into the loading area so he could get hit by a Rajang laser the moment he loads in, then he gets up and rather than run back into the loading zone so he doesn't die, he runs into the trap I set up, gets hit by the Rajang doing its normal movement as it lands on the trap, and dies literally as the Rajang falls in the trap while we get sent back to menu because he single-handedly used all of our revives as we watch the Rajang struggle in the pitfall trap while it fades to black. Then the guy ragequit in between menus so I couldn't even ask him what he was thinking. I can't remember an instance in this game or MH4U where I ran into pubs as awful as this guy. Just a few that only get close.

And all because I just want to help my friend look like a confused Samurai Cowboy. On the bright side, the other pubbie amazingly stuck around after that and we did managed to kill the Rajang, so at least there's a happy ending. Now we just need to do it about ten more times.

Anyways I'm trying to max out Nakarkos armor now so I just need his soul orb thingies. We were literally right at the end of the fight when he used his super-slow mega-death laser-thing and killed the three pubs I was with in a rhythmic chain so I just got the mission failed screen immediately and I had no idea what happened. Thankfully his soul orbs are something you just mine off of his body when he's stunned so I got to keep those.

Theta Zero fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Sep 27, 2016

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

For every successful sleep bombing you'll undoubtedly have some DS user not know when to back the gently caress off. Even though monsters no longer instantly wake up it's just such a pain in the rear end.

Speaking of annoyances I found my PSP while cleaning and have been going through MHFU again. Really missing all the quality of life stuff but I think the biggest change between generations might be to minion monsters. I can handle all the wonky hitboxes in the world but if I get sniped by another vespoid/hermitaur/conga/bullfango/cephalos/apceros/giaprey/velocipray/genpray or ioprey I'm gonna snap this thing in two. Nothing in the series is as bloodthirsty or as relentless it's kinda amazing.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I had to go out of my way to kill them all with pellet if I was gunning back then. They still do that if you get close to where they're cowering but at least they stay the gently caress back during a fight. The worst is having a million of them rush you when you killed a mon in the same area and interrupt carving.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Zombeef posted:

It works the same way that blocking does, if you've already blocked the attack it won't hit you a second time. If you've adept evaded a specific attack it won't hit you twice, but the art is just on demand iframes w/o a trigger.

Am I crazy or is this just repeating what I just said?

Ambi
Dec 30, 2011

Leave it to me
PTSD from MHFU's bullfango is the reason all my cats are "small first" target preference. They run interference while I hammer-bounce things to death.

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007
I asked in the discord to pretty good results but I figured asking in the Megathread wouldnt hurt. I am looking to cosplay the Deviant Rathalos set and need some reference pictures of it. I got some pics like the one below but theyre all really tiny. Does anyone know anywhere to get good reference pics for this specific set? To complicate things I need it on a male character too.

Edit:

Moved the picture down

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Well, the game itself runs at an incredibly tiny resolution so outside of finding it in some splatbook somewhere I don't know if you'll find anything better anywhere. Maybe just make the set yourself so you can put on pieces individually and get all the angles you want?

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

This is the best I'm currently aware of:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kN64YQ5t4bw

It may not be perfect, but he does spin it around and zoom in a lot, so hopefully you can bounce the video around as needed. Other than that, your best option may be searching for fanart, which is always a coin toss. Good luck with the project!

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Are the Mizutsune and Gammoth you fight for the 5* Urgents stronger than normal? Or were the pubbies and I just playing awful last night? The Gammoth wasn't that much trouble other than being a big wall of HP, but the Mizutsune hosed us up pretty good and managed to run me through all of my healing items.

Also, I know this gets said every couple pages, but gently caress Yian Garuga and everything it stands for. I thought Black Diablos would never be unseated from my Hate Throne after what it put me through in 3U, but Yian has advanced to some sort of Hate Deity. Glad I never made it to G Rank in 4U because holy poo poo I cannot even fathom what bullshit that must be.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Well, im trying out my first MH with Generations. The game is cool and fun, and I've yet to figure out what weapons I like the most. I'm still 1*, but the weapons I've tried are Hammer, Great sword, Longsword, sword & board, twin swords, and gunlance. Of those I'm digging GS, the hammer, and twin blades. As much as the gunlance sounds cool, it's really unwieldy without a lock on system.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Well, im trying out my first MH with Generations. The game is cool and fun, and I've yet to figure out what weapons I like the most. I'm still 1*, but the weapons I've tried are Hammer, Great sword, Longsword, sword & board, twin swords, and gunlance. Of those I'm digging GS, the hammer, and twin blades. As much as the gunlance sounds cool, it's really unwieldy without a lock on system.

This comes up with pretty much every new player. Lock-on with most any weapon would be pretty awful for how much the game relies on targeting specific hitzones, and how generally sluggish weapon attacks are, including the thrusting types. There is little to no correction once you begin a combo, and you aim as much with your orientation as you do with which attack you are executing.

Both Lance and Gunlance have an interesting sort of learning curve. Their backsteps in particular can be counter-intuitive to most people, but especially lance has a very unique and fluid playstyle once you get the hang of things. Gunlance is much more of a risk reward type of thing, but in learning it, consider your lance a little more as an explosion delivery stick. So rather than a poker, use the different attacks to direct your following explosion where you want it.

Generally though, keep trucking. Try everything and take your time - you're going to be spending a lot of time in the game either way. Find what suits you, and ask questions. There's a wealth of depth to be uncovered, but naturally it can be difficult to uncover on your own. Generally speaking, if you don't like something, there is probably a 'fix' for it.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

I've just had issues lining up the Lance and gunlance to hit an enemy since they're all still tiny and super fast. More often than not I'm hitting open air and then getting knocked over from the target, who just flanked me. I still need to do the weapon training quests to see what I have missed, as I am probably not seeing all the moves just picking a weapon up and poking dudes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

Nomadic Scholar posted:

I've just had issues lining up the Lance and gunlance to hit an enemy since they're all still tiny and super fast. More often than not I'm hitting open air and then getting knocked over from the target, who just flanked me. I still need to do the weapon training quests to see what I have missed, as I am probably not seeing all the moves just picking a weapon up and poking dudes.

That's more the tiny things you're fighting right now tbh. Keep it up, find out what does what and you'll be tackling some big game in no time.

• Locked thread