Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
14.8% of Witcher 2 players (on Steam) have spared all the trolls, compared to just 1.5% who killed all of them. Trollslayer is the second rarest achievement behind finishing the game on the highest difficulty.

Exactly as it should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Shadow of Mordor GOTY is twenty quid on Xbox1 so I picked it up again and was instantly reminded about how loving great it is. The amount of character they've poured into these randomly generated orcs (sorry, uruk) is phenomenal and I can't wait to just play around with them all night and make my own Uruk pokemon collection.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
In episode 2 of the Batman Telltale games, there's a sequence where you're working with Catwoman to get through a group of thugs. You fight by linking objects together in a typical adventure game way (i.e. use Heavy Statue on Man) then execute the plan in a QTE - though with this sequence one of the things you can link is Catwoman, who will effectively auto-complete a QTE for you. If you don't, or forget to, use her she jumps down afterwards and gives a grumpy "well maybe next time then" as Batman clears his throat pointedly avoids looking at her. :allears:

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

I know posting about Fromsoft games is cheating because 80% of the story in those games are "little things" but God drat man.

Horace the Hushed is a knight who only murmurs and groans. He lets you join the Blue Sentinel covenant, which rewards you for killing members of the Rosaria's Fingers Covenant. A Rosaria's Fingers player receives an item, specifically a "tongue" when they kill a player character. This explains why Horace can't speak, and also why he bares enough of a grudge against the Fingers as to ask you to join a covenant focused on hunting them down.

Early on in the game you meet a Priestess and a knight who protects her. You find out quickly she's blind. If you give her an "evil tome" to read it means she can teach you evil spells, but the knowledge scares and upsets her. If you keep doing this the knight will fight you and you have to kill him, when you do you get his cool armour. If you buy all the Priestesses evil spells next time you find her she's in a delirium and asks you to touch her, but if you do she can't feel anything... Unless you put on the gloves of the knight you killed, her protector, in which case she thinks you're him, and she asks you to kill her.

I mean Goddamn, I love the storytelling in these games.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Also, there's a lady knight who wanders around the game world seeking vengeance for her grandfather, who has turned to the crazy purple shade covenant. In the end you enter her world as a white phantom multiple times to fight alongside her, and the last time she realizes it's too late for him and your final assistance is putting him out of his insane misery. The player can go literally the entire game without ever seeing this questline (and the purple phantom covenant), because right above the grandfather's head is an optional boss arena that collapses midway through the fight. If you fight that boss, it falls on him and kills him. I just think that's kind of clever in a silly way.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 11:44 on Sep 20, 2016

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Calico Heart posted:

Early on in the game you meet a Priestess and a knight who protects her. You find out quickly she's blind. If you give her an "evil tome" to read it means she can teach you evil spells, but the knowledge scares and upsets her. If you keep doing this the knight will fight you and you have to kill him, when you do you get his cool armour. If you buy all the Priestesses evil spells next time you find her she's in a delirium and asks you to touch her, but if you do she can't feel anything... Unless you put on the gloves of the knight you killed, her protector, in which case she thinks you're him, and she asks you to kill her.

My favorite thing is also about this priestess, but a different part of it. She's specifically down on herself and considered kinda trash because she failed at becoming a Fire Keeper, the women that keep the bonfires burning and, in DS2 and 3, help you level up. If you go the whole game without buying a single 'evil' spell from her (buying a any evil spell from her leads to the ending you described), she disappears from her little corner of Firelink Shrine, as a lot of vendors in the series do when they're sold out of their good loot.

If you hunt through all of Firelink, though, you can find her in an obscure room off to the side... where she can help you level up. :shobon: It's not even useful, because the other Fire Keeper is just inside of Firelink and way easier to get to, but it's such a cute thing.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Cleretic posted:

My favorite thing is also about this priestess, but a different part of it. She's specifically down on herself and considered kinda trash because she failed at becoming a Fire Keeper, the women that keep the bonfires burning and, in DS2 and 3, help you level up. If you go the whole game without buying a single 'evil' spell from her (buying a any evil spell from her leads to the ending you described), she disappears from her little corner of Firelink Shrine, as a lot of vendors in the series do when they're sold out of their good loot.

If you hunt through all of Firelink, though, you can find her in an obscure room off to the side... where she can help you level up. :shobon: It's not even useful, because the other Fire Keeper is just inside of Firelink and way easier to get to, but it's such a cute thing.

I don't see it as cute at all, because once she becomes a Firekeeper she totally loses her personality. She no longer talks to you about anything and just coldly delivers the "let souls be your strength" line. Also... The room she's in is a tomb for past firekeepers,, so... Poor Irina doesn't really get a happy ending no matter what.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Calico Heart posted:

Horace the Hushed is a knight who only murmurs and groans. He lets you join the Blue Sentinel covenant, which rewards you for killing members of the Rosaria's Fingers Covenant. A Rosaria's Fingers player receives an item, specifically a "tongue" when they kill a player character. This explains why Horace can't speak, and also why he bares enough of a grudge against the Fingers as to ask you to join a covenant focused on hunting them down.

i never picked up on this. thanks.

i like in ds3 how you'll see a simple enemy design, then later on you see a different looking enemy, and then see a third enemy type that looks like the missing link between the first two enemies. like the zombies and leeches on the way to the cathedral or when you first see a winged knight early in the game with its dinky looking baby wings, then see a painting of a winged knight soaring into the air, and then encounter their final forms on the way to lothric.

it's cool how fromsoft can build on enemy designs and imply an evolution going on in some enemies.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Playing through MGSV and I just did the Extreme version of the Cloaked in Silence mission and I decided to take DD with me even though he wouldn't really be of much use in it. In the video that plays after the mission DD was riding in the copilot's seat next to Pequod while we flew back to Motherbase. :3:

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cleretic posted:

In Dark Souls 2 the Emerald Herald isn't technically a Fire Keeper, she still has her eyes and everything. She was created by Aldia and Vendrick as a way to beat the Undead Curse by merging souls with the Ancient Dragons.
:goonsay:

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Your Gay Uncle posted:

In Dark Souls 2 the Emerald Herald isn't technically a Fire Keeper, she still has her eyes and everything. She was created by Aldia and Vendrick as a way to beat the Undead Curse by merging souls with the Ancient Dragons.
:goonsay:

DS2 really didn't make a lot of sense.

Oceiros is my favourite little thing in DS3. After climbing down and deeper into a spooky castle, you're suddenly confronted with a hideous mutated dragon man who attacks you saying, paraphrased, "ahh, you've finally come for me, just a matter of time i suppose"

Dude, I don't even who you are. Nobody loving knows you. We have more important poo poo going on, which you haven't noticed cos you've been down here for ages being all weird and creepy.

He then spends the whole fight talking to an invisible dragon baby. He's got some issues.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Oceiros is my favourite little thing in DS3. After climbing down and deeper into a spooky castle, you're suddenly confronted with a hideous mutated dragon man who attacks you saying, paraphrased, "ahh, you've finally come for me, just a matter of time i suppose"

Dude, I don't even who you are. Nobody loving knows you. We have more important poo poo going on, which you haven't noticed cos you've been down here for ages being all weird and creepy.

He then spends the whole fight talking to an invisible dragon baby. He's got some issues.

Before the game was released he actually did hold a baby object, it was real, you could see it, the testers who played that segment reported that smashing the baby into pulp for the dragon to hulk the gently caress out was too disturbing so instead of reworking the fight they just set the skin to null, it is still there, and when he slams his fist down you can hear and see the blood pulp squishing out.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The baby sounds are not used in the game but they are still in the files. peep this video of the sounds yanked from the game files if you want to be real grossed out (don't do it)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6vCZdcp6hE

edit: from the comments, heres the touchdown when he goes to phase 2 that causes the sound at 0:15

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 15:44 on Sep 22, 2016

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

what a f*ckin freak

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The idea was the dragons were outside of and before the cycle, so maybe doing weird poo poo with that would help humans break out of it as well. It didn't really work.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I can't believe how 999 ends. A series of elaborate room puzzles with bomb bracelets and poo poo, then it ends with a loving upside down sudoku. Putting this here and not in the other thread cause I kinda found it endearing in how stupid it was. Also loved all the bonkers twists.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A small thing I love in persona 5:

Like Persona 3 and 4 it has a "navigator" character. Early on this is Morgana, who is basically a talking cartoon cat. Morgana is also a party member however unlike previous Navigator characters. If Morgana goes down in battle rather than just lying on the ground she'll quickly dart away and hide behind part of the environment so they can continue serving as a navigator even after going down.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

BioEnchanted posted:

I can't believe how 999 ends. A series of elaborate room puzzles with bomb bracelets and poo poo, then it ends with a loving upside down sudoku. Putting this here and not in the other thread cause I kinda found it endearing in how stupid it was. Also loved all the bonkers twists.

At the time I thought this was pretty cool because Sudoku wasn't really a mainstream thing until a few years ago, so child-Akane wouldn't have been able to just figure it out from the morphic field, but the game apparently takes place in 2027 so I guess there goes that theory.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Come on, Sudoku, filling a 9*9 grid of 9*9 grids with the numbers 1-9, is the loving perfect conclusion to a game entirely about nines, logic be damned. :colbert:

Said scene is fantastic in several others ways but they're not so little things.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
To be fair not nearly everyone is familiar with sudokus despite their popularity, plus we usually make them while relaxing in our living room or in public transportation rather than in a panicked and confused state inside a madman's incinerator with a five-minute countdown to a horrible death. I don't think that part's much of a stretch considering the circumstances.

I think what really nails the atmosphere of that part is the fact that rather than having some intense climactic music in the background, you have the rather calm and wistful Morphogenetic Sorrow instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjQfY47pFNs

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Been going back through The Witcher 3 and there's a bit I just love. You have a chance to recruit a character to help you out who is more or less the main antagonist of the previous game, a character quite a few people call the Kingslayer, as he stunningly enough killed a pile of kings. The villain of The Witcher 3 is called the King of the Wild Hunt. You can have the Kingslayer help you fight the King of the Hunt. You can also ask for the help of some of the elite troops of one of the Kings he killed. They are understandably pissed to see him but he happily says that if you're going to have someone kill a King, he's the man to have around and the troops just seethe while he smirks and walks off.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Calico Heart posted:

I know posting about Fromsoft games is cheating because 80% of the story in those games are "little things" but God drat man.

Also Horace is a berserk reference, visually his armor resembles one of the characters from the early chapters.

Also Horace and his buddy are really co-dependant and rely on one another to withstand the hollow curse. There's a point where he goes missing and you're given the option to find him or give up on him. You can find him in one of the optional areas of the game where he presumably fell by accident and couldn't get back up, having gone insane due to hollowing and being separated from the one person he gave a poo poo about. A lot of the NPCs in Dark Souls 3, even the antagonists, are way more interesting than anything the world has going on in it this time around.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

TGG posted:

Been going back through The Witcher 3 and there's a bit I just love. You have a chance to recruit a character to help you out who is more or less the main antagonist of the previous game, a character quite a few people call the Kingslayer, as he stunningly enough killed a pile of kings. The villain of The Witcher 3 is called the King of the Wild Hunt. You can have the Kingslayer help you fight the King of the Hunt. You can also ask for the help of some of the elite troops of one of the Kings he killed. They are understandably pissed to see him but he happily says that if you're going to have someone kill a King, he's the man to have around and the troops just seethe while he smirks and walks off.

"Should we kill 'em?"

"No, there's too many, let's fall back to the rest of the group."

"....Pansy."

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So after god knows how long, your shader in Destiny finally effects your class items! Well, most of them at least. Now your cape or whatever doesn't stick out like a sore thumb.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

You missed out the best bit: it's not upside down, you're meant to turn the DS around because for the first time in the game you're playing as Junpei (the bottom screen) rather than Akane in the past (the top screen). I think one of the developers said that the entire plot was inspired by that twist.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Stardew Valley having a tedious fishing minigame is par for the course with the genre, but the little thing I love is that they recognized that a lot of players aren't keen on grinding out hundreds if not thousands of catches to reach the maximum fishing skill level and gave you the option of just making and setting crab pots that you can harvest every day for the same experience instead. They even let you focus your upgrade path on it so they become dirt cheap and even more lucrative.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Feonir posted:

Before the game was released he actually did hold a baby object, it was real, you could see it, the testers who played that segment reported that smashing the baby into pulp for the dragon to hulk the gently caress out was too disturbing so instead of reworking the fight they just set the skin to null, it is still there, and when he slams his fist down you can hear and see the blood pulp squishing out.

To be fair, there is also precedent for half dragons being invisible in Dark Souls in the past (Prsiclla)

Also the baby continues to cry after he kills it, so it's hard to determine what actually happens

BioEnchanted posted:

This wasn't stupid and was actually awesome I thought. It made perfect sense considering Akane was a smart kid who could apply logic but she needed help solving a sudoku game because she was 8 and literally didn't know the rules

999 is fantastic. Essentially a perfect story where you actually feel satisfaction when mysteries are revealed and the answers recontextualise the rest of the game.

Nuebot posted:

Also Horace and his buddy are really co-dependant and rely on one another to withstand the hollow curse. There's a point where he goes missing and you're given the option to find him or give up on him. You can find him in one of the optional areas of the game where he presumably fell by accident and couldn't get back up, having gone insane due to hollowing and being separated from the one person he gave a poo poo about. A lot of the NPCs in Dark Souls 3, even the antagonists, are way more interesting than anything the world has going on in it this time around.

Outside the Aldrich bossroom there are some prism stones. This is Anri "leading the way" for Horace, as she said she did when they were children.

Calico Heart has a new favorite as of 11:52 on Sep 25, 2016

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Calico Heart posted:

This wasn't stupid and was actually awesome I thought. It made perfect sense considering Akane was a smart kid who could apply logic but she needed help solving a sudoku game because she was 8 and literally didn't know the rules

999 is fantastic. Essentially a perfect story where you actually feel satisfaction when mysteries are revealed and the answers recontextualise the rest of the game.

I never said I didn't like it. Also I was emulating it so I couldn't turn it upside down :P

I also love in RPGs in general when the main characters get arrested because they can just say, hey, if you want character witnesses, talk to the ten thousand people worldwide who we helped for no reason. I have 30 mended relationships, 2 inspired painters, and a Partridge who finally recieved the Pear Tree he'd been waiting for who can vouch for me that I'M not the bad guy.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 10:18 on Sep 26, 2016

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

BioEnchanted posted:

I never said I didn't like it. Also I was emulating it so I couldn't turn it upside down :P

You totally can in desmume, just fyi.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Playing Arkham Knight with the 1960s Batman outfit. The little things: the game adds white highlights and a logo to your Batmobile, making it 60s style; your cape is PLUSH compared to the default tactical one; your outfit doesn't tear, but is realistically affected by rain.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Golden Bee posted:

Playing Arkham Knight with the 1960s Batman outfit. The little things: the game adds white highlights and a logo to your Batmobile, making it 60s style; your cape is PLUSH compared to the default tactical one; your outfit doesn't tear, but is realistically affected by rain.

I love the alternate outfits and my favorite is the Batman Beyond one, but I wish they'd made it more sleek and form fitting like in the show and not bulky and mechanical.

I like the alternate timeline (Thomas Wayne batman) one as well.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Guy Mann posted:

Stardew Valley having a tedious fishing minigame is par for the course with the genre, but the little thing I love is that they recognized that a lot of players aren't keen on grinding out hundreds if not thousands of catches to reach the maximum fishing skill level and gave you the option of just making and setting crab pots that you can harvest every day for the same experience instead. They even let you focus your upgrade path on it so they become dirt cheap and even more lucrative.

Stardew Valley has my favourite fishing minigame because it's not a tired re-tread of "Throw bait out. Wait for bite. Press X to reel in when you see '!'. Keep pressing X to reel in fish while making sure it doesn't snap the line"

I am playing Yakuza 5 right now and the fishing game in that is so goddamn boring.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Morpheus posted:

Stardew Valley has my favourite fishing minigame because it's not a tired re-tread of "Throw bait out. Wait for bite. Press X to reel in when you see '!'. Keep pressing X to reel in fish while making sure it doesn't snap the line"

Isn't that exactly what it is?

TheRecogScene
Aug 22, 2010

I'm gonna miss you when you're gone.

poptart_fairy posted:

Isn't that exactly what it is?

No, it's throw bait out, wait for fish to bite, press x to begin reeling in when you see '!', but then alternate holding and letting go of x to keep the fish symbol in line with the meter. It's not incredibly engaging, but it requires more attention, effort, and skill than the systems in any other game of its kind, especially those that ask you to button mash.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Like fishing in a Zelda game.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
I like Terraria's fishing. When you skill up to 80+ fishing, the bobber is literally in the water for one second before you get a bite, it takes longer for the bobber to hit the water unless you're right on the shore. At 100+ you can rip fish/crates out of the ocean at just preposterous speed. Plus all the fishing crates you pull in are full of fun and useful loot, and nothing essential so fish-haters can skip it.

Plus the game encourages you to build little fishing huts all over the world so you have more buildings to build, then you gotta build a rail/teleporter network to get to them all quickly, and then then then...

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Started playing Dangan Ronpa finally after reading Orenronens' LP-and-a-half of them, (partially because I wanna know how DR2 ends goddamnit), and the English Voice acting isn't so bad. It's a little stiff in the world exploration stuff but it works pretty well when they get full conversations in the trials. I also like how each mechanic is appropriate to what is going on, with the chaotic but slow paced testimony sequences, the frantically rhythmic duels as someone is cornered, and the chill, methodical Final Summary. It works really well, what Ace Attorney does with it's music, DR does with it's mechanics, although because of it DR feels much harder..

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Morpheus posted:

I am playing Yakuza 5 right now and the fishing game in that is so goddamn boring.
I take it you haven't tried for the Tuna

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

Gitro posted:

14.8% of Witcher 2 players (on Steam) have spared all the trolls, compared to just 1.5% who killed all of them. Trollslayer is the second rarest achievement behind finishing the game on the highest difficulty.

Exactly as it should be.

To be honest, trolls in the Witcher universe loving rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Man, I played both DS 2 and 3 and I have no idea what any of this nonsense is that you guys are talking about it. BloodBourne too