Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Golden Goat posted:

I wouldn't have used exp share for my nuzlocke run but it would have been super tedious leveling up new guys when one died.
I tried that rule where I can't use Amie or Super Training and the one where I can't have pokemon leveled past the next gym leader or champion.

Maybe if exp share didn't also give out EVs or would that make it worse?

The last thing that needs to happen is EVs getting more tedious than they already are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Okay, so I'm almost finished on my Soul Silver playthrough. It's reminding me of why gen 2 made me quit pokemon all those years ago and I didn't get back into it till Gen 6. I think G\S\C and HG\SS are extremely overrated and I'm glad I didn't pay an obscene price for my copy of SS.

Christ on a bike, this game has some amazingly piss poor design. The levels are so hosed. Wild Pokemon are at least 10 levels below you, normal trainers are about the same, then Gym Leaders are 10-15 levels above. Clair and the Elite Four are particularly fiendish, what with your party being around level 35ish and them around 50. I just barely beat Lance on my last Pokemon with my last potion. Then everyone in Kanto is around level 50, while the wild pokemon are like... level 2. While Johto's gym leaders were tough, Kanto's are mostly a breeze. Then... then you get to Mt. Silver and Red, whose levels jump up to the 80s. gently caress. Hope you like tedious grinding for weeks!

Also, in Johto, new Pokemon barely even show up, and 90% of them are just ones from Gen 1. Catching the legendary dogs is extremely annoying.

Oh, and the menus are all excruciatingly slow. Each time and every single time you use a potion, it needs to go through a whole animation and loading screen to do so.

I almost kinda don't want to play Platinum now.

I think I've come to the shocking revelation that all Pokemon games prior to Gen 5 are just loving bad and the only reason why we tolerated them as kids is because we didn't know any better.

X\Y and OR\AS are hands down the best games in the series because they cut out most of the tedious and frustrating bullshit. I managed to complete my Pokedex in those, but I wouldn't dream of doing it in previous games.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

hmm hg is the best game in the series, but i used a pokewalker to get murkrow/elekid right away and used the same six pokemon the whole time so i only had to grind a little for claire/lance/red

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

oddium posted:

hmm hg is the best game in the series, but i used a pokewalker to get murkrow/elekid right away and used the same six pokemon the whole time so i only had to grind a little for claire/lance/red

Mine didn't come with the Pokewalker, so maybe that's my problem

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

All pokemon games are good but each new pokemon is better. At least on the technical side of things. I'd feel a little weird to call any games before the physical/special split better than those that came after, because that was such an obvious choice for the series and feels like it should have been that way from the beginning. Same with things like infinite use tms or even way back in gen 2 with the day/night cycle. Like, everyone's going to have different favourite's due to pokemon availability or region design or even like characters or music and stuff, but I feel like each gen improves on the one before it in pretty big ways.

Can't say if that's the same for the competitive side of things since I don't play it but for someone who only ever plays the story and postgame that's what I think.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Pokemon is a series that does get better as it goes on, but each gen has its own positives and negatives that makes playing each game pretty different. I play through each gen relatively often so I'm used to their unique foibles, but man, playing Gen 2, Gen 4 and Gen 6 more or less at the same time really makes me appreciate how much this series grows every few years.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

I think just based on what we've seen so far that S&M will likely be easily the best games in the series. The only kicker is going to be how much post-game content there is. But things like:

- Dress-up
- Rotom-Dex
- Pokemon Refresh
- Seemingly no HMs in the traditional sense

Those are really rad

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
I want them to return to a Gen 1 philosophy with respect to your rival. In my mind the essential qualities of a Pokemon rival are:

1.) Is legitimate competition ("I already caught 60 kinds, pal") and a major threat in battle
2.) Is a total rear end in a top hat

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I want to be friends with my rival though.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I want to be friends with my rival.

I also want them to be really god drat good.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Also, Giovanni remains the best Evil Team Leader.

e: how about an evil Team that doesn't use the same six Poison or Dark types?

Slate Action fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Sep 26, 2016

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
I hope you can date your rival

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

when I'm done with them they'll need carbon dating

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Slate Action posted:

I want them to return to a Gen 1 philosophy with respect to your rival. In my mind the essential qualities of a Pokemon rival are:

1.) Is legitimate competition ("I already caught 60 kinds, pal") and a major threat in battle
2.) Is a total rear end in a top hat

Your 'legitimate competition' entered the final battle of the game with a Pokemon that had only three moves.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
He was a little braindead but those fuckers were high level. And he beat every gym leader and the E4 first!

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Slate Action posted:

He was a little braindead but those fuckers were high level. And he beat every gym leader and the E4 first!

I do miss every Gym's certified trainer list having your rival's name on it first, hah

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

the only legit rival is barry who also happens to be the best

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Rygar201 posted:

I do miss every Gym's certified trainer list having your rival's name on it first, hah

Wally starts pulling that off in ORAS. To be fair he wasn't sidetracked dealing with ecoterrorists.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Dabir posted:

when I'm done with them they'll need carbon dating

6v6 singles will still be the dominant battle style, yes

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Ruggington posted:

the only legit rival is barry who also happens to be the best

:yeah:

Barry is what all rivals should aspire to be.

Bianca and Cheren and N are pretty good, too.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Gammatron 64 posted:

Okay, so I'm almost finished on my Soul Silver playthrough. It's reminding me of why gen 2 made me quit pokemon all those years ago and I didn't get back into it till Gen 6. I think G\S\C and HG\SS are extremely overrated and I'm glad I didn't pay an obscene price for my copy of SS.

Christ on a bike, this game has some amazingly piss poor design. The levels are so hosed. Wild Pokemon are at least 10 levels below you, normal trainers are about the same, then Gym Leaders are 10-15 levels above. Clair and the Elite Four are particularly fiendish, what with your party being around level 35ish and them around 50. I just barely beat Lance on my last Pokemon with my last potion. Then everyone in Kanto is around level 50, while the wild pokemon are like... level 2. While Johto's gym leaders were tough, Kanto's are mostly a breeze. Then... then you get to Mt. Silver and Red, whose levels jump up to the 80s. gently caress. Hope you like tedious grinding for weeks!

Also, in Johto, new Pokemon barely even show up, and 90% of them are just ones from Gen 1. Catching the legendary dogs is extremely annoying.

Oh, and the menus are all excruciatingly slow. Each time and every single time you use a potion, it needs to go through a whole animation and loading screen to do so.

I almost kinda don't want to play Platinum now.

I think I've come to the shocking revelation that all Pokemon games prior to Gen 5 are just loving bad and the only reason why we tolerated them as kids is because we didn't know any better.

X\Y and OR\AS are hands down the best games in the series because they cut out most of the tedious and frustrating bullshit. I managed to complete my Pokedex in those, but I wouldn't dream of doing it in previous games.

Platinum has a better level curve.
But the menus are slower :v:

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Waffles Inc. posted:

I think just based on what we've seen so far that S&M will likely be easily the best games in the series. The only kicker is going to be how much post-game content there is. But things like:

- Dress-up
- Rotom-Dex
- Pokemon Refresh
- Seemingly no HMs in the traditional sense

Those are really rad

- Mother Fuckin Pokemon Snap

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Kerrrrrrr posted:

That has pretty crazy frame drops if the previews are any indication.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

That has pretty crazy frame drops if the previews are any indication.

a true n64 successor

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

Kerrrrrrr posted:

I played through this one year at university and it only took me like two hours, but drat was it fun. I'm hype to have it back

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Decus posted:

In BW2 you can use the way they work to ensure eevee encounters. I'm sure there are other places you can use them to force rare encounters--probably dugtrio in diglett cave--but that one sticks out to me. It's a boring option for nuzlockes and kind of defeats the purpose but for regular play it's nifty.

Nuzlockes defeat the point of pokemon, so who cares

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
I can't really be the only person that didn't really mind having to use HM's can I?

And yes Pokemon Snap was great, no real replay value, but a great game none the less. I think I still have the stickers I made in a box somewhere.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

PSWII60 posted:

I can't really be the only person that didn't really mind having to use HM's can I?

And yes Pokemon Snap was great, no real replay value, but a great game none the less. I think I still have the stickers I made in a box somewhere.

I don't mind either, at least with anything that isn't Cut or Whirlpool.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Kerrrrrrr posted:

Oh gently caress yes how could I forget that

If it also lets us take pics of our party then oh goddddddd

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Or defog or rock climb

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

taking pictures of rock climb could be cool

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

PSWII60 posted:

I guarantee HMs are still going to be in. For one, Wishiwashi used surf in one of the recent videos. And there's no way they take out the whole 'use your pokemon for more than battling' thing that's been the entire purpose of HMs since Gen I.

Its like how Soar co-existed with fly in ORAS>

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Yeah, the biggest issue regarding HMs was the fact that most of them were greatly outclassed by other moves in battle and when a Pokémon can only have 4 moves, moveslots are a rare commodity.

Surf managed to be well loved because of the fact that its at the same base power as moves like Thunderbolt, Flamethrower and Ice Beam, and Water types are extremely common and easy to use as most have ways of covering their weaknesses. Being reusable was also something it had over other moves like it. It wasn't until recently that Surf's usability was lessened due to making it effect partners in doubles, TMs now being reusable as well and Scald being introduced.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Zuzie posted:

Surf managed to be well loved because of the fact that its at the same base power as moves like Thunderbolt, Flamethrower and Ice Beam, and Water types are extremely common and easy to use as most have ways of covering their weaknesses. Being reusable was also something it had over other moves like it. It wasn't until recently that Surf's usability was lessened due to making it effect partners in doubles, TMs now being reusable as well and Scald being introduced.
And it lost 5 power in gen 6 for some reason. As though Scald wasn't already competing well enough.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

DACK FAYDEN posted:

And it lost 5 power in gen 6 for some reason. As though Scald wasn't already competing well enough.

That was part of a weird nerf to special attacks with 90+ power across the board. Some things benefited (Energy Ball went from 80->90, Power Gem 70->80) but Surf/Flamethrower/Ice Beam/Thunderbolt went from 95->90 and Hydro Pump/Blizzard/Thunder/Fire Blast went from 120->110.

Gen VI had a lot of weird little re-balances like that.

Like Aura Sphere went from 90->80, Dragon Pulse 90->85, the Pledges from 50->80, Knock Off from 20->65, Snore from 40->50 (lol).

There were a ton of tweaks to power/pp.

Zore fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Sep 26, 2016

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
maybe it's a nerf to special sweepers. There isn't an "intimidate" for sp.atk so they're probably stronger in doubles.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Do the legendary birds in Platinum flee after the first turn like other roaming legendaries?

And regardless of the answer, can I get a recommendation on a solid Pokemon to keep a roamer in place and whittle them down. Mesprit was doable without one, but it's clear I need something better.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Mierenneuker posted:

Do the legendary birds in Platinum flee after the first turn like other roaming legendaries?

And regardless of the answer, can I get a recommendation on a solid Pokemon to keep a roamer in place and whittle them down. Mesprit was doable without one, but it's clear I need something better.

In Platinum?

Breloom or Parasect for Spore. Compound eyes Yanma/mega.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

It is very tricky to make, but spore/false swipe/block/recover Smeargle is pretty much the ideal, if you can get it at level 100

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
Gallade is gen 4 isn't it? Mean Look/Hypnosis/False Swipe/T-Wave