Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Megadyptes posted:

I spent a good half hour trawling the internet for Cuniberti's An Ideal Battleship for the British Fleet article or a scan of the 1903 edition of All The World’s Fighting Ships but there's nothing, not even on the more shady places. You think someone would've uploaded his article considering how influential it was. I guess historical warship grogs aren't so good with computers.

I searched my region's library service to see if they had anything and they have a copy of All The World's 1903 sitting in reserve a county over so I requested it be sent to a library near me and then I'll scan Cuniberti's article.
Yeah, I spent a while online more than once trying to dig up a copy. And gently caress me, I never even thought to check my local library system. :downs: Thats awesome.

Also, while Cuniberti's ideas were pretty important, plenty of other people were also advocating the mono-caliber/all big-gun battleship in those years as well. The US and UK were already considering proposals for them when Jane's 1903 was published and IIRC the 1905 "Semi-Dreadnought" Satsuma was supposed to be mono-caliber, but the Japanese were having issues obtaining that many 12" guns and cut the wing turrets down to 10" guns instead.

His Colosso is actually a pretty flawed design. The figures he proposed were completely unrealistic for a ship of only ~17000 tons displacement. He wanted a 12" homogeneous belt across the entire length of the ship and wanted it to do 24 knots! By comparison 20700 ton Drednought had 11" max belt armor that tapered down to 4" and could only make 21 knots, and she had fewer, better arranged turrets.

There isn't much point in replicating Colosso's turret arrangement in RtW (especially since they can't fire down the ship's axis). The two single+one double wing turret arrangement is just a waste of weight, use the "Hex" pattern used by early German Dreadnoughts and Satsuma instead. The only slight benefit is having one of the single turrets disabled is slightly less terrible than having a double turret disabled.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Sep 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

srb
Jul 24, 2007
Does the game model single gun turrets being more reliable?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yes, I believe so. I'm pretty sure single turrets also have a slight RoF bonus.

srb
Jul 24, 2007
Off I go to make an all single turret dreadnought battleship!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Its a slight bonus, hardly worth the increased armor costs.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Its a slight bonus, hardly worth the increased armor costs.

I always wanted to put 14 inch guns in open casemates.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

srb posted:

Off I go to make an all single turret dreadnought battleship!

I think this was the premise of the "badnoughts". They weren't ...terrible.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Did someone say Badnoughts?

Galaga Galaxian posted:

You should see the Badnoughts. These are what Elan should've been like in the LP thread.

srb
Jul 24, 2007
I just had a naval treaty in the first game year, as I had 7 battleships of 4x13, 16 000 tons building. Treaty limits us to 12" guns, 18k displacement. Lovely!

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Well they would never have killed anything anyway so you haven't really lost much.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Aww man, you weren't using the British -2 thirteen inchers were you? As Pharnakes said, that treaty did you a favor.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

I think one of my battlecruisers just earned a gun upgrade. I built her with 12 -1 12" guns (39,000 ton ship and the 11s were -1 as well). But that's all right, because while fighting the entire Russian scouting line of three battlecruisers solo, she slammed the most modern one till it fell out of line for the battleship line to devour (It got going again and the BB line got distracted with a 3v4 slugfest, so I don't think I'll get to capitalize on that), got another to break off to where it can be pursued after I dealt with the one that stayed in line. Well I dealt with the one that stayed in line.

BC Moltke fires 6 6 in guns at BC Izmail-class! 2 hits
BC Izmail-class Turret hit TT * Turret flash fire! Ship blows up!

:psyduck:

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

xthetenth posted:

BC Moltke fires 6 6 in guns at BC Izmail-class! 2 hits
BC Izmail-class Turret hit TT * Turret flash fire! Ship blows up!

:psyduck:

That's what happens when you don't armor your turret tops.

srb
Jul 24, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Aww man, you weren't using the British -2 thirteen inchers were you? As Pharnakes said, that treaty did you a favor.

With battleships it's all about looking good on paper for the prestige, but just so typical that my ships fell right inbetween the treaty requirements.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

You really need to be able to engage in horse trading and judicious crafting of the treaty limits.

dublish posted:

That's what happens when you don't armor your turret tops.

Apparently. Their two modern battleships that have been trading fire with my three (with two more BBs and a pair of Bs on their side to make things almost fairish) brought eight turrets between them, they have four now. The Moltke, in addition to that one kill, has shot every single turret off their more modern BC and knocked one of the three turrets on their other BC off. Sure my BBs are slower on 10k tons more, but I'm all right with that.

Four BB/BC against seven of theirs, and I'm kicking them in the dick with steel toed boots.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
Some of the AI nations (hi Britain) like to build BCs that aren't protected against medium caliber gunfire. It never ends well. I have fond memories of a French CA that sank three battlecruisers some time in the 1920s.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

The Moltke wound up getting sunk by a loving piece of poo poo submarine, after she'd been repaired. All my BCs are in Japanese waters now.

And yeah, after I defanged the newest shiniest BC in the Russian navy, I ran a conga line of big CAs down her throat. Good times.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Sep 22, 2016

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

xthetenth posted:

The Moltke wound up getting sunk by a loving piece of poo poo submarine, after she'd been repaired. All my BCs are in Japanese waters now.=

:(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5j-9cCHkq8

Also hi thread, I am bad at this game.

Forums Terrorist fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Sep 22, 2016

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Yeah that's about right. Now I'm fighting a fleet action in 1912 with CAs for my scout wing.

Better yet, their new hotness BB has much bigger guns than my current ships, an at least competitive belt, and turrets with actual armor.

Pity it's night so I can't take advantage of their 1.5" deck.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

I always tried to design my BCs like full-on battleships with slightly fewer main guns. Same armor (read: a shitload) and gun caliber, but faster. It's nice to be able to fall back into the battle line when needed.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

You should see the Badnoughts. These are what Elan should've been like in the LP thread.

I had forgotten about these beauties :allears:

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Ikasuhito posted:

I had forgotten about these beauties :allears:

I really love the idea of funnels and boiler rooms just being scattered around the ship wherever anybody felt like they needed to be.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Funny thing is the top down views he made vaguely remind me of stuff from Space Battleship Yamato.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

So my battlecruisers with 13.5" turret armor square off with British ones with 9" turrets.

Guess who eats an instakill turret hit.

gently caress you entire German government for deliberately deciding to get my navy killed. I didn't deliberately pick up one point of that tension.

And gently caress you British Anarchists.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Skimming penetration tables, thirteens of all qualities have some of the worst break points compared with calibers one lower or higher, at least until mid-game.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

The Austrians inflitrated the Russian AI's design bureau.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

If it wasn't for the fact its casemates instead of turrets, I'd say its more like the Italian Regina Elena battleships myself.

I suppose it should be obviousl, but one thing I've really started noticing about pictures of ships from this era is the relative lack of quality photographs where the camera is well above the ship. Obviously the lack of planes makes that a hard shot to get, typically you have to rely on the ship sailing close to an eleveated landmass:

Look at that short little twin secondary turret on the Italian BB in the top picture. :allears:

Also, I always love seeing smaller caliber defensive guns mounted on the turret. It must suck for the crew manning them to have to evacuate the position every minute or two so they don't get hit by the concussive blast when main guns fire.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Renown looking pretty classy there

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I know. Not only have they got all the tents out, but it looks like they've built a wooden balcony behind the rear turret. Total "cruising to the other side of the world in comfort (or what passes for it in the navy" mode.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
So one more question about steam and iron for those who know, does the campaign cover the whole world or just the North Sea/Atlantic?

I think I really want a game where I can chase down the Emden and Von Spee and the East Asia squadron. Conversely playing the Kaiserliche Marine I want to threaten trade in the Indian Ocean and escape to Germany with Von Spee.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

The base game is just a bunch of scenarios covering a load of naval engagements around the world and a random battle generator. Here's the blurb for the campaigns expansion

STEAM AND IRON CAMPAIGN EXPANSION

Steam and Iron campaign is one of the most complete operational-tactical WW1 naval combat simulations ever published. It includes four different campaigns or variants. The North Sea Campaign covers the entire naval war from 1914 to 1918 in more than 200 weekly campaign turns of naval operations. It includes over 800 ships, from superdreadnoughts to armed trawlers, and dozens of submarines and coastal batteries. Organize your fleet, train it and lead it to victory. Plan the missions of your fleet, including submarine patrols and minelaying, and then play out the scenarios using Steam and Iron. Missions can range from small minelaying missions or small raids with a couple of light cruisers up to massive clashes between the entire Grand Fleet and High Seas fleet. You, as the admiral, decide what forces to allocate to a mission, subject to ship availability and logistic limitations. Even maintenance and mechanical mishaps are included. For those who want a smaller campaign, there is the 1916 campaign covering one year. And if you want to try out ships that never were, there is a Germany Stronger campaign from 1916 until the end of the war, featuring the Mackensen and Ersatz Yorck classes as well as the Sachsen and Würtemberg, and the Hood on the British side. There is also the Baltic campaign focusing on the less well known naval war between Germany and Russia in the Baltic. Steam and Iron Campaign is a must for naval enthusiasts and WW1 buffs, recapturing the greatest naval conflict between dreadnought battlefleets ever. Note that the Steam and Iron Campaign Expansion requires ownership of Steam and Iron.

List of campaigns:
Baltic
North Sea
North Sea 1916
Germany Stronger 1916

there's also steam and iron russo japanese war with scenarios and a campaign covering said war.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
After playing a standard-resources campaign with every other nation, I've finally played through as the USA. Since 1920, I have been budgeted so much more money than I could ever reponsibly spend, even in peacetime and am sitting on nearly 70 prestige. This is quite a different experience from my last run as UK. I might even take things to ~1935 and see how outrageously dominant I can still be once the tech levels out for everyone.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
If you can't spend money reasonably then spend it unreasonably, god. The world needs that 52kton 4x4 18"s 35 knot BC with 3" belt armour you know.

You have a duty to your god, your country and the memory of Jackie Fisher.

Pharnakes fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Sep 24, 2016

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Sure is the case in the game. The firing arcs of wing turrets are lousy.

Using good ol' Colosso as an example, and all wing turrets and their arcs:

I'm also curious if this V X Y rear turret arrangement actually works. I somehow doubt it.

Oh, and I'm sure many already know, but the whole Rodney and Richelieu all up front turret arrangement actually does work with saving weight. Works with A-B-L and A-B-Q turret arrangements, A-B-C doesn't work since the game has decided the C turret is basically a non-superfiring B turret.

Wasn't the X/C turret on Nelson non-super firing? I swear it was, though there was a rejected design that had B turret and X turret superfiring, but it was rejected because of weight issues; however, I'm no expert, so I could be wrong.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

ZombieLenin posted:

Wasn't the X/C turret on Nelson non-super firing? I swear it was, though there was a rejected design that had B turret and X turret superfiring, but it was rejected because of weight issues; however, I'm no expert, so I could be wrong.

It was. I know the US drafted an ABC superfiring design. It was a pig's breakfast, with a nice deck's drop for the first turret to get a beautiful stress concentration and make the ship all kinds of interestingly wet forward, and the back two were shifted to the side to reduce the blind spot aft.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

xthetenth posted:

It was. I know the US drafted an ABC superfiring design. It was a pig's breakfast, with a nice deck's drop for the first turret to get a beautiful stress concentration and make the ship all kinds of interestingly wet forward, and the back two were shifted to the side to reduce the blind spot aft.

I tell you what, after playing World of Warships for awhile--why can't anyone remake and modernize Fighting Steel?--it had become abundantly clear to me if real warships had behaved like they do in that game, then the optimum design for big gunned ships would have always been all super firing forward turrets.

Plus, forget about crossing the T. You'd always want your fleet lined up pointing their guns at a fleet crossing your T. That way you could just instantly explode everyone showing you a broadside.

Pinback
Jul 22, 2012

I've been having real awful dreams about giant apocalyptic machinery
just mowing us all down...
An ugly monster I kludged together in a Spain game. It's a lot of work to get a 10-gun broadside in 1908 with a backwards rear end nation. I love it. Would've gone for 13-inch guns if they weren't -2 quality. This design single-handedly won me a war against Austria-Hungary, after a couple of them managed to sink AHs only BB and several Bs in a single engagement.

Fortunately right after these started construction I invented quadruple centerline mounting, 14-inch Q0 guns and bought triple turrets of the Americans. I'm considering keeping the basic layout for my next class of BBs anyways just for a gently caress-off hilarious broadside.

Astroclassicist
Aug 21, 2015

I need to stop building 52k monsters which eat up all my budget. Especially when the bloody Americans blow one up a month after it is commissioned!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Pinback posted:

An ugly monster I kludged together in a Spain game. It's a lot of work to get a 10-gun broadside in 1908 with a backwards rear end nation. I love it. Would've gone for 13-inch guns if they weren't -2 quality. This design single-handedly won me a war against Austria-Hungary, after a couple of them managed to sink AHs only BB and several Bs in a single engagement.

Fortunately right after these started construction I invented quadruple centerline mounting, 14-inch Q0 guns and bought triple turrets of the Americans. I'm considering keeping the basic layout for my next class of BBs anyways just for a gently caress-off hilarious broadside.

I like it that your wing turrets are squishing the secondary battery turrets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Astroclassicist posted:

I need to stop building 52k monsters which eat up all my budget. Especially when the bloody Americans blow one up a month after it is commissioned!

Alternately build 52k monsters that don't blow up.

• Locked thread