Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

corn in the bible posted:

Nobody has challenge coins anymore

No one plays the challenge coin game, but basically every command still has coins to give out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Does someone mind explaining to my pacifist hippie rear end what the hell a "challenge coin" is?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I was going to make a joke about the difficulty doubling every few months, but I googled it. Seems like some kind of medallion that a commander gives those that they are in charge of for accomplishment, used to verify bragging rights for valor.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

if you challenge someone and they have a coin you buy drinks
if you challenge someone and they don't have a coin they buy drinks

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

theflyingexecutive posted:

if you challenge someone and they have a coin you buy drinks
if you challenge someone and they don't have a coin they buy drinks
It's more of a souvenir than anything else.

Sometimes somebody with some authority will present you with a coin for good work, or just because you present the illusion of good work and they beed to put on a show. The Air Force at least used to give everyone a coin when they finished basic training, can't imagine they've stopped doing it.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

corn in the bible posted:

Nobody has challenge coins anymore

Lies, I got one this year for participating in a long term veteran study by the government that determined No Sir, There Are Definitely No Long Term SIde Effects to Warfare.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I got a lovely coin from a two star general because he liked my meat loaf. I was a cook in the National Guard

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Goodpancakes posted:

I got a lovely coin from a two star general because he liked my meat loaf. I was a cook in the National Guard

Like does he just carry around a draw-string bag full of jingly gold coins and award them to good little boys?

red19fire
May 26, 2010

ansel autisms posted:

Guy with the save a horse sign wears a badge and calls himself an "unindicted co-conspirator."

So he went to the ranch for like a day and is angling to be the new face of the anti-BLM movement? One of the brave, patriotic occupiers who booked it as soon as the Bundy's got arrested and realized, yes, there are consequences? Who does that remind me of?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co5xVHsMRV0&t=22s

Ike Clanton is basically every one of these cowards.

ansel autisms posted:

Fat legs visible in the back are Sean Anderson.

THE Sean Anderson?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvZ_L9JsUsw

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I got given a plastic submarine coin good for one round of drinks at some bar near the CT sub base because I put an ex-navy guy up in my hotel room at a convention.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Yeah, THE Sean Anderson. Him and Sandy have been there for most days in the audience (whatever the hell you call it) of the trial. They're surprisingly nice and calm about the whole thing, at least in comparison to how they seemed at the refuge.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

red19fire posted:

a long term veteran study by the government that determined No Sir, There Are Definitely No Long Term SIde Effects to Warfare.

Whew, that's a relief.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I've never been coined because the types of guys who give out coins seem to have really bad judgement about who is actually doing the work.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Like does he just carry around a draw-string bag full of jingly gold coins and award them to good little boys?

Just a few in the pocket most likely...like a secret santa for the military type deal

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
This is the best coin:

(It's a bottle opener.)

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Yeah that's how it works.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I got commissioned by the CNO (chief of naval operations - top military person in the navy) and then had a mock commissioning the next day with the CJCS (Chairman Joint Chiefs of Staff - top military officer over all branches). Both of those guys had an aid that literally just followed around them with a stack of coins (and more in a nearby bag) to drop in the admiral's hand when he reached behind him.

the way the game works is each coin has the officers rank on it. If you have a higher ranking coin, then the other guy has to buy a round. Only douchebags do it, though.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Mr. Nice! posted:

I got commissioned by the CNO (chief of naval operations - top military person in the navy) and then had a mock commissioning the next day with the CJCS (Chairman Joint Chiefs of Staff - top military officer over all branches). Both of those guys had an aid that literally just followed around them with a stack of coins (and more in a nearby bag) to drop in the admiral's hand when he reached behind him.

the way the game works is each coin has the officers rank on it. If you have a higher ranking coin, then the other guy has to buy a round. Only douchebags do it, though.

Barack Obama should ask for a lifetime supply of these for after office.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

So I listened to that podcast linked earlier. Knowing a couple marines wouldn't the expected answer to a random dude screaming "where did you go to boot camp" be "gently caress off"? Or perhaps "it's recruit training, dumbshit"

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Discendo Vox posted:

Barack Obama should ask for a lifetime supply of these for after office.

He doesn't need to ask anyone. You can mail order as many as you want. You want a coin that claims you are the Commander in Chief? No problem.

http://www.allaboutchallengecoins.com/pricing.html
http://www.customchallengecoins.com/customcoin-pricing/
http://www.militarycoinsusa.com/challenge-coin-pricing.html

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
According to one of the major challenge coin manufacturers, the most common format they receive designs in is Microsoft Powerpoint.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Platystemon posted:

According to one of the major challenge coin manufacturers, the most common format they receive designs in is Microsoft Powerpoint.
Well it does have really simple drawing tools.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Platystemon posted:

:stonk:

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
You could probably make a quick buck selling refuge occupation challenge coins for people who want to show that they were there. Unless they're already being made and sold.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Casimir Radon posted:

Well it does have really simple drawing tools.

IIRC it was more along the lines of “they send in mock‐ups with clip art. Our artists whip up something classy and send it back to the client for approval”.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Powerpoint supports arbitrary sized slides or pages and you can easily place whatever wherever you want.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

What are some good non-navy stolen valor tactics??

Last tactics I saw someone suggested to say you're in "corrosion control" in the navy and that the questioner's eyes would immediately glaze over. The other suggestion was meaner, to have snaked shitters on ships all day and that you now make $60/hour as a plumber and make the questioner cry.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’d ask if they’d heard any good corrosion control jokes.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Thanks for this, I had no idea the Seals had grown so much since I did a report on them in High School .

If you've got a half hour to blow, this video details the newest conspiracy theory making the circles in the Bundy Facebook groups. Apparently Lavoy only looked he was reaching for a gun because the cowardly FBI agents shot him with a foam bullet in the stomach so he would reach down and give the feds the clearance to assasinate him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBWQtH2PhJ0

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Platystemon posted:

Not surprised to hear that. I work for a book printer, and despite our developing and giving away design software for free and repeatedly telling them to either use our software or InDesign/Photoshop, we still get a half dozen people a year who do their entire book in PowerPoint or Word then expect us to magically make it not poo poo resolution, not to mention the proper dimensions. And this is for something that people pay thousands of dollars for. I can't imagine what kind of horrors a designer at a place like that must see on a daily basis...

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Discendo Vox posted:

Drone pilots, especially ones who kill, tend to be at risk for really severe PTSD. This came up in some debates my institution had on the subject of military use of drones. I won't link footage, but drone visuals, especially missile cams, tend to be pretty horrific if you're the person at the controls. The videogame detachment people talk about isn't usually there.

When they show footage of drone bombings its a really grainy black and white feed. Is it actually color and more HD?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

When they show footage of drone bombings its a really grainy black and white feed. Is it actually color and more HD?

LED HD color 1080p

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Usually, yes. The tech has improved drastically over time. Black and white grainy stuff could also be night vision. Missile cams are the worst- imagine having to watch through a camera mounted on the tip of a missile just as it hits someone-then immediately swapping back to one of the overlooking drones as it monitors the effects.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
So are challenge coins the kind of semi-official thing where whenever there's an excuse to make one you do and design it however you want? Like how with specialized missions or rocket launches they always make a unique patch for everyone involved and they put crazy poo poo like dragons and robot-minotaurs and skeletons on them?
Like this:

And what circumstances would you really have to throw down a challenge coin for the possibility of free beer? Does it have to be with someone who would also have the exact same coin? So a "I was in the Navy" one would work, but what are the odds in civilian life you could use your "General Soandso gave me a challenge coin from his goody bag" one? Or does any coin work for any challenge, and getting one from the POTUS means you automatically win the rank showdown.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

How challenge coins work.

Also, in thread-related news:
Inviting wrath of judge may be part of a calculated approach by Ammon Bundy's lawyer

quote:

"He knows what he's doing. It's intentional,'' said Matthew Schindler, a lawyer helping co-defendant Kenneth Medenbach. "I don't believe he makes choices without a strategic focus.''

Mumford may be trying to mimic Bundy's narrative – that the federal government hasn't listened to his concerns and that's why he needed to make a stand.

The judge's consistent slap down of Mumford's questions could play into his defense of Bundy, legal scholars and other lawyers say.

He could be setting up an argument to jurors at the end of the trial: "See, they aren't even letting you hear about the most critical evidence in the case. The government can do what it wants, and they're not even giving us a fair fight,'' said Portland criminal defense lawyer Kevin Sali.

Or perhaps Mumford's marathon cross-examinations of witnesses – marked by seemingly random questions far beyond the scope of the charges and long pauses as he figures out his next query – might be designed to confuse jurors.

With the government's case resting heavily on the defendants' own recorded statements and social media postings, photos and videos before, during and after the refuge occupation, "maybe all that's left is trying to cast doubt about the government's actions and the propriety of the government's actions,'' said Tung Yin, a Lewis & Clark Law School professor.
https://twitter.com/maxoregonian/status/780487934168272897
https://twitter.com/maxoregonian/status/780462609300500481
https://twitter.com/maxoregonian/status/780461971158073344
https://twitter.com/maxoregonian/status/780462151567708160

On patriots turning on each other:
https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/779424974486384640

In other news:
https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/779769631506505729
https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/779744388226232320
https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/779745046899810304
https://twitter.com/KGWNews/status/779484370642034689
https://twitter.com/illbeyourwater/status/779516428177117184

Discendo Vox has issued a correction as of 22:23 on Sep 26, 2016

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

So are challenge coins the kind of semi-official thing where whenever there's an excuse to make one you do and design it however you want? Like how with specialized missions or rocket launches they always make a unique patch for everyone involved and they put crazy poo poo like dragons and robot-minotaurs and skeletons on them?
Like this:

And what circumstances would you really have to throw down a challenge coin for the possibility of free beer? Does it have to be with someone who would also have the exact same coin? So a "I was in the Navy" one would work, but what are the odds in civilian life you could use your "General Soandso gave me a challenge coin from his goody bag" one? Or does any coin work for any challenge, and getting one from the POTUS means you automatically win the rank showdown.

It's just higher rank wins pretty much. But since they're just a thing people make, and nobody gives a poo poo about the challenge part of challenge coins anymore, they mostly just go overboard with designs to make them look cool so they'll actually sell

E: they also use them for when it'd be inappropriate or impossible to give out medals, like at universities or to civilians at events. They're basically pogs

corn in the bible has issued a correction as of 22:29 on Sep 26, 2016

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Discendo Vox posted:

Drone pilots, especially ones who kill, tend to be at risk for really severe PTSD. This came up in some debates my institution had on the subject of military use of drones. I won't link footage, but drone visuals, especially missile cams, tend to be pretty horrific if you're the person at the controls. The videogame detachment people talk about isn't usually there.

Yeah, it's roughly comparable as I recall to no-poo poo getting-shot-at combat pilots.

Pro: dude at computer in rural Nevada is in no physical danger except when he is driving to work.
Con: the drone has direct visual on the people being exploded, and needs to KEEP that direct visual to confirm effect and, depending, watch for the explodees friends, potentially to explode them too.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Like this:

To answer your question, they're like POG slammers, not patches. Challenge coins really only come out at VFW halls or off-base dives where brand-new boots go to drink underage and the Uncle Rico types also go with their Parris Island '92 challenge coins to impress brand-new boots. It's a place for guys like Ritzenheimer and other phonies go to get lauded by well-meaning dummies who don't know anything.

Like the Silver Screen in 29 Palms, or The Mirage in Jacksonville, NC. Silver Screen was officially declared off-limits by the base general because of all the rampant drugs and underage booze, so they're probably out of business by now.

Though I wonder if a Malheur Refuge coin could make a quick buck off these loving doofuses.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Con: the drone has direct visual on the people being exploded, and needs to KEEP that direct visual to confirm effect and, depending, watch for the explodees friends, potentially to explode them too.

Not that I want to defend the drone program or anything but isn't that like, most military operations that involve killing people?

I mean I guess if you compare it to "conventional" aircraft, bombers and jets would be miles away by the time the impact actually happened, sure, but compared to other military actions I don't know. It's not like the army just fucks off without checking after shooting wildly in the general direction of the enemy right?

e: And missile cams have been a thing for decades now too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Azathoth posted:

Not surprised to hear that. I work for a book printer, and despite our developing and giving away design software for free and repeatedly telling them to either use our software or InDesign/Photoshop, we still get a half dozen people a year who do their entire book in PowerPoint or Word then expect us to magically make it not poo poo resolution, not to mention the proper dimensions. And this is for something that people pay thousands of dollars for. I can't imagine what kind of horrors a designer at a place like that must see on a daily basis...
You work for a vanity press?