Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Thanks, I gotta look that up.

One more question since I'm completely out of the mod loop: Are there any mods which make your settlers do something else except defend and plant food ? Get them to scavenge or craft stuff maybe ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

The Lone Badger posted:

Nice, thanks.
I was having a lot of difficulty in that I can't just build a floor then apply walls, I have to build floor/wall combinations.

You can kinda do this, but only with atriums, as they have separate floor tiles and mid wall pieces, but sooner or later you're going to need a door piece to connect it all up, and the corner floor/wall combo pieces especially are good for making sure everything fits together nicely.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Hammerstein posted:

One more question since I'm completely out of the mod loop: Are there any mods which make your settlers do something else except defend and plant food ? Get them to scavenge or craft stuff maybe ?

Well, there are the scavenging stations already in the base game...

With Automatron there's also the ability to build Eyebot Pods that send out eyebots to mark specific kinds of loot or ammo you're looking for, they put a quest marker on it somewhere (if you really need fusion cores, for example)

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 365 days!

SiKboy posted:

To be fair I grew up near the ruins of a castle, and no matter how long you left me you're never going to come back and find that I've rebuilt the drat thing.

I'd be happy just to see that somebody at some point had cut down a tree tbh

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Why haven't any good quest mods been released? I expected some kind of New Vegas Bounties-quality by now. Hell, why aren't there any "I turned Starlight Drive In into a huge city" mods?

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

Hammerstein posted:

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/9710/

This mod introduces a bunch of stations that you can assign settlers to, which will generate various materials. There are specific stations for specific types of items, so you can assign a settler to find you adhesives or nuclear material. Collection works the same way as crops; if you don't collect it yourself after a day or two, it gets added into the workbench storage. There are also stations that increase happiness, and others that generate food for the settlement without the need to grow crops.

The downside is that the stations themselves are probably too detailed. All those polys will absolutely murder your build limit.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Thanks for the suggestions.

Has anyone tried Busy Settlers ? Is it any good ? http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/7010/

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007

Hammerstein posted:

Thanks for the suggestions.

Has anyone tried Busy Settlers ? Is it any good ? http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/7010/

I don't think anyone will care about mod chat in this thread, but I did want to point out that there is a dedicated FO4 mods thread. I haven't tried Busy Settlers myself, but I'm sure someone in there has.

There's also a goon-approved mod list google doc found in the OP of that thread that helps weed through the nexus when you're looking for stuff.

MadJackal posted:

Why haven't any good quest mods been released? I expected some kind of New Vegas Bounties-quality by now. Hell, why aren't there any "I turned Starlight Drive In into a huge city" mods?

Maxwell's World by Trainwiz is supposed to be released next weekend. He started development before Nuka World, but it's an expansion-sized mod based around an amusement park. Granted, an amusement park quest mod may not be the thing most players want to see just a month after Nuka World was released, but from the screenshots and info the atmosphere seems closer to Dead Money than Nuka World. It's a hunt for a fabled vault full of treasure in a dreary park full of crazed mascot robots and killer carnival rides, rather than Nuka World's raiders and brightly colored hyper-commercialization. Though it does at least have polka-doted power armor and a clown missile launcher.

Preem Palver fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Sep 26, 2016

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Super-basic question because this is the level I'm operating at:

I've put together a few square 'rooms' out of 'Atrium - floor', 'Atrium - wall bottom' and 'Atrium - corner bottom'. Now how do I put a roof on them / second floor? Nothing I have seems to snap to the top of the walls.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

The Lone Badger posted:

I've put together a few square 'rooms' out of 'Atrium - floor', 'Atrium - wall bottom' and 'Atrium - corner bottom'. Now how do I put a roof on them / second floor? Nothing I have seems to snap to the top of the walls.

I believe there's Wall Top sections for the atrium set as well which have roof pieces already attached to them

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

JawKnee posted:

I've found the Kiloton rifle to be fairly fun

The Kiloton rifle is not only fun to shoot but it's also among the most versatile weapons in the game.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah, Radium Rifles are already death on toast for nearly every enemy, one that has additional explosions on top of that is icing on the cake. The Kiloton Rifle is pretty badass.

I also love the Admiral's Friend, the harpoon gun sold by Allen. Double damage if the enemy is at full health...which, if you have any ranks in Heavy Gunner at all, is usually enough to one-shot nearly any enemy you see. Switch it over to Flechette mode so it fires like a shotgun and embeds multiple harpoons that can be recovered and you're set. The only weakness is its reload time, which I guess can be alleviated somewhat with Quick Hands, but still!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Do these vault-tec thingamajigs (soda fountain etc) need someone assigned to them full-time to produce Happiness? The woman I assigned to the fountain seems to do nothing but stand there all day drinking soda, rather than serving it or anything.

Mosnar
Apr 21, 2007
Dropping Heavy Things From High Places, LLC

The Lone Badger posted:

Is Fusion City any good? It's big and getting some votes, but some aspects of the description make me slightly hesitant.

Think "A World of Pain" for FONV, but more of a slog .. so far, at least.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

For Nuka World, Can I do all the main and side quests before I try to do Open Season ?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
yes

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Dirt Taco Scuba posted:

For Nuka World, Can I do all the main and side quests before I try to do Open Season ?

Yup. That's what I did, the only open quests I had left when I shanked Nisha were radiants from her and the Operators.

Pretty sure any gang-related quests will turn to poo poo once you start :black101:'ing.

Ooooh, that reminds me - I cleared the Café but still have to clean out the Nuka-Cade.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

The Lone Badger posted:

Do these vault-tec thingamajigs (soda fountain etc) need someone assigned to them full-time to produce Happiness? The woman I assigned to the fountain seems to do nothing but stand there all day drinking soda, rather than serving it or anything.
I assigned the grumpy robobrain from the DLC to man the soda machine since she was being an rear end in a top hat.

Happiness still went up!

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

SubponticatePoster posted:

I assigned the grumpy robobrain from the DLC to man the soda machine since she was being an rear end in a top hat.

Happiness still went up!

Jezebel owns and I wish she was a follower. Just me and tsunderobot roaming the wastes. As it is, Ada is my robowife.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Sep 27, 2016

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Yup. That's what I did, the only open quests I had left when I shanked Nisha were radiants from her and the Operators.

Pretty sure any gang-related quests will turn to poo poo once you start :black101:'ing.

Ooooh, that reminds me - I cleared the Café but still have to clean out the Nuka-Cade.

Siding with the gangs and handing over parts of the park seem to be the only way to get some of the special weapons from the DLC. It also gives you the added bonus of being able to farm more XP when you have to clear them out again.

The Nuka-Cade has no enemies in it IIRC - the guy who maintains the arcade machines isn't a raider and I don't think anyone else ever goes in there.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

The Lone Badger posted:

This is when you have to get creative, slap any old horizontal piece of poo poo that'll let you place it up there, then use that as a snap point for the ceiling you want and swap it out when you're done. Try removing a floor/wall section and substituting a wall/ceiling section just to get you started, or see if any if the hanging floors or ceilings will go.

Vault building is weird in that it follows a pretty logical and instinctive set of rules, but you often have to do bizarre poo poo for it to start acting the way you feel it should.

The Lone Badger posted:

I think the implication is the dweller assigned to the device is providing whatever service to the others, but in engine all we can have is assigning someone there and happiness is magically produced.

Davoren fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Sep 27, 2016

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Psychotic Weasel posted:

the guy who maintains the arcade machines isn't a raider
He's not? I got angry at grinding for stupid tickets and took it out on him which gave me the "you are now enemies with the Nuka World raiders" pop up.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

J-Spot posted:

He's not? I got angry at grinding for stupid tickets and took it out on him which gave me the "you are now enemies with the Nuka World raiders" pop up.

The Nuka-Cade guy is one of the few people who doesn't go hostile when you attack the Nuka-World raiders. He ran the arcade before the raiders, he still runs it with them, he'd be happy to run it after they're all dead.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is the scavenger dealing with an explosive hatch a random encounter that moves around the map, or is it usually found near corvega?

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

Is the scavenger dealing with an explosive hatch a random encounter that moves around the map, or is it usually found near corvega?

Random, and there's a couple different hatches. One has a scavenger, who goes hostile if you gently caress with the hatch. If you open it or shoot it, you get a mini-nuke explosion. Let him open it, and there's the same explosion, and some loot afterward. There's also a hatch with no one around, opening it does nothing, shooting it gets you a lootless explosion.

Mine was the second version, just south of Abernathy Farm, and I was getting all excited that I'd found something good/where Vault 88 was gonna be accessed from. :( (Pre-DLC-release.)

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So if you skip rebuilding the Minutemen entirely, and start raiding farms as a Nuka-World raider, they are defended by Hired Guns instead of Minutemen. Nice.

My raider outposts are often attacked by Brotherhood of Steel knights, too. Now I kinda wish you could make a BOS cage in Wasteland Workshop...

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Started playing again and getting owned on survival. I love the gunplay part but still not enjoying no fast travel or on demand saves. Any good mods that work well for that?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

vandalism posted:

Started playing again and getting owned on survival. I love the gunplay part but still not enjoying no fast travel or on demand saves. Any good mods that work well for that?

This mod works to enable the console and/or fast travel.

JOURNEY adds in fast travel with some restrictions, if you prefer that.

Sleep or Save adds an item that is hotkeyable which triggers an autosave on demand.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Speedball posted:

So if you skip rebuilding the Minutemen entirely, and start raiding farms as a Nuka-World raider, they are defended by Hired Guns instead of Minutemen. Nice.

I wish I could hire the Atom Cats as my settlement security force instead of the Minutemen.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Kokoro Wish posted:

Jezebel owns and I wish she was a follower. Just me and tsunderobot roaming the wastes. As it is, Ada is my robowife.
I built her thinking I'd be able to take her along later and since that's not the case I'm thinking she should be modded to just a Mr. Handy body with no limbs. Why waste good mods?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

I built her thinking I'd be able to take her along later and since that's not the case I'm thinking she should be modded to just a Mr. Handy body with no limbs. Why waste good mods?

this was my approach because I wanted to punish her for being a poo poo

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
The maxed Blitz perk is pretty crazy in a melee-focused build. Just going into VATS and one-shotting enemy after enemy with a baseball bat until you look up and realized you've warped halfway across the area.

Going hard on melee is a blast in general. Nothing makes you feel unstoppable quite like bludgeoning a Suicider to death before he can explode his mini-Nuke. My only weakness is stairs.

Johnny Landmine fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Sep 28, 2016

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Johnny Landmine posted:

The maxed Blitz perk is pretty crazy in a melee-focused build. Just going into VATS and one-shotting enemy after enemy with a baseball bat until you look up and realized you've warped halfway across the area.

Going hard on melee is a blast in general. Nothing makes you feel unstoppable quite like bludgeoning a Suicider to death before he can explode his mini-Nuke. My only weakness is stairs.

Blitz + Rooted and a weapon with Instigating is pretty nuts. No guns other than explosive ones can scale even halfway as absurdly :v:

Lima fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Sep 28, 2016

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Naw, slap a bunch of high-damager weaponry and good armor, if she's not gonna follow she can sit there and defend the hood, yo.

Probably can't assign her to a poo poo job, either.

The Lone Badger posted:

I wish I could hire the Atom Cats as my settlement security force instead of the Minutemen.

^ :smith:

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.
I gave her a robobrain body and treads to go with that head of hers. I figured without weapons she'd just charge into a fight and blow herself up. Turns out she charges into a fight and head butts things.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Explosive damage is counted separately from bullet damage right? So spray and pray's explosive damage would stay constant even if I switched to .38 calibre?

Also does explosives expert stack damage on explosive legendary items?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Naw, slap a bunch of high-damager weaponry and good armor, if she's not gonna follow she can sit there and defend the hood, yo.

Actually, when I stuck her at the Red Rocket for lack of better options, I gave her a decent combat body because I thought she could follow, but up until she got taken out by some rust devils she was farming and would just roll up on attackers. I eventually built another robot to handle her job after she bought it.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Dialogue options!

gasman
Mar 21, 2013

hey now
^^Which one is sarcastic?

In Nuka World, is there any clever way to have the gang leaders kill eachother, or do I have to do all the work myself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Oh, well I guess I'll let her keep her limbs then. And if "soda jerk" isn't a poo poo job I don't know what is, but the game had no problem with it.

• Locked thread