Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
We might need to be careful with spoiler policies if this becomes a megathread; there's a lot of unmarked spoilers for the first five games in the discussion up to now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Raxivace posted:

Hey is this going to function as the general Ace Attorney thread now? I'm going to be playing some AAI2 now before the AA6 DLC drops, but I don't want to poo poo up the thread with irrelevant conversation.

It's always relevant to talk about the best game in the series.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Raxivace posted:

I'm playing the first Asinine Attorney DLC and I forgot how loving terrible Edgeworth's Objection sounds now.

yeah seriously

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

On case three. Will Nayuta stop being the most boring Prosecutor soon, or is that just kinda who we landed on with this game? I like the idea of a more outright "villainous" Prosecutor (someone who is more personally opposed to Phoenix, is basically trying to get you killed in every case) but he's really starting to feel bland... Which is something I would never have guessed based on his wacky design.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

no nahyuta is just kinda mediocre

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

He's at his best when he's explaining how he's studying Japanese American culture to blend in and understand the cases better.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, this basically doubles as a mega thread.

Mr. Wright, are you suggesting what it sounds like!? That the mega thread and this one here in front of us are...

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

*covers eyes*

Just dropping in to say that i'm halfway through Case 4 and this game loving owns.

Sad-maddy is my new favourite prosecutor, his design and theme are fantastic.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
The only thing I like about Nahyuta so far is that he is a very pretty man. Though there's something about his design and expressions that keep making me half-expect Dahlia's theme to start playing when we see him.

E: Oh, right, Dahlia had the same scarf except pink and less floaty.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
"What's crack-a-lacking, homies" and talking about burgers are by far the best Nahyuta moments, alas

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Kajeesus posted:

"What's crack-a-lacking, homies" and talking about burgers are by far the best Nahyuta moments, alas

Him breaking into a comedy sketch in Case 4 while Athena sweats profusely in the background was hilarious.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Jsor posted:

Mr. Wright, are you suggesting what it sounds like!? That the mega thread and this one here in front of us are...

That's exactly what I'm saying, Your Honor! The defense proposes that the Spirit of Justice thread....

...is also the Ace Attorney Megathread!

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Yo the original Confess the Truth is great but I really loved the one from AA6 too.

I'm through three cases in a replay of AA1 and I think I might push AA6 in front of it in my game rankings (3 > 1 > 6 > 5 > 4 > 2), but they will probably stay the same as soon as I play through 1.4 and 1.5 again, because those two are incredible.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Waffleman_ posted:

That's exactly what I'm saying, Your Honor! The defense proposes that the Spirit of Justice thread....

...is also the Ace Attorney Megathread!

WHAAAAAAAAT!!!

Wright! You can't possibly mean...

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Cake Attack posted:

no nahyuta is just kinda mediocre

He's good in two and five, and he has his moments in the other cases. But as someone else pointed out, he's (Whole Case 5) basically a cut-rate Edgeworth for most of the game without any of the visible character development that he had in cases 1-3 and 1-4.

Seriously, rubbing his face in his wrong after the later cases, only to get some sort of acknowledgement that he was doing wrong, but that he was willing to sacrifice himself for the greater good would have done a lot for me.

Also Whole Case 5

THIS WITNESS IS A loving GHOST! I almost dropped the game when I had the same realization as Apollo.

The breakdown wasn't as good as Case 2's, but it was still pretty great.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
Case 3:

"In my country, suspects are innocent until proven guilty." I'm in genuine awe at what I just read.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

One of the biggest lies in the series and it's nowhere near a testimony.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Case 5 The biggest lie being Phoenix smugly telling Apollo that he always comes prepared.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Might skip Apollo Justice: Asinine Attorney because $4 is a big asking price for a humor bit when the actual DLC case comes out in a few days

I mean I guess I could've said the same about the first one but hey :shrug:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I liked the Apollo one enough to be worth 4bux along with the theme, but they probably should have packed both Asinine Attorneys into one $4 DLC. Or just made them free for a week at launch, like Japan did(iirc).

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

AA5's DLC case was awesome as hell and surprisingly emotional, especially since the concept is defending an orca in court. Easily the best case in the game, imo, so I have high hopes for AA6's.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Case 5, Trial - Day 2.

I sure am looking forward to duking it out with Prosecutor... Rita Repulsa, apparently. :stare:

I'm also guessing that Dhurke is being channeled by Amara, Ga'ran channeled Inga as part of the murder trial somehow, and Rayfa is Amara's daughter. Admittedly, the first was a theory that a friend of mine who is at the same part of the trial shared with me, but it does add up.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Sep 27, 2016

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

If I wasn't really super hot on the first AAI and think Edgeworth is kind of a boring character overall will I still enjoy AAI2?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Yes, it's a much better game than the first.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Calico Heart posted:

If I wasn't really super hot on the first AAI and think Edgeworth is kind of a boring character overall will I still enjoy AAI2?

Yeah, it survives entirely on the insanity of its twists and enjoyability of the side characters. For the same reasons as you, I don't hold it in quite as high regard as it seems most do, but I still think it's quite good and definitely worth playing. Plus it might just be the longest AA game; all the cases are ridiculously meaty and yet don't drag on at all.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I rank AAI2 much lower than most people around these parts, but it did definitely fix every single issue I had with AAI1.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Calico Heart posted:

It has actually interesting cases for one, a great overarching plot as opposed to just some smuggling ring, and even has some connections to Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney. My favorite game is a three way tie between AAI2, T&T, and SoJ

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
HI thread, I finally finished this super cool game.

Things I did not like:
-Personally I'm not hot on Case 1, or at leas the ending to it just didn't feel particularly satisfying. I would not have been surprised if the culprit could've/would've just bullshitted some more, it didn't really feel like I had them nailed. More like the writers just decided "Eh, I guess that's long enough."
-Various 3D investigation parts like fingerprint dusting was somehow all annoying and twitchy
-I don't hate Case 4 (Uendo is a solid/enjoyable witness and Simon owns) but it could have been a lot better. Geiru was the worst thing about the whole game.
-For all she got talked up in the lead up to this game, Maya has a pretty minor role
-The final villainous breakdown was underwhelming

Things I liked:
-loving everything else

Not going to do a case-by-case breakdown because really just about all of them were enjoyable in their own ways. My favorite joke by far was the bit with "grape juice" in case 5 :allears: Also not enough love for Ema's theme; there's lots of great music in this game but that one is just sooooooo good and makes me feel all sunshine and rainbows.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Sep 27, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm really glad an Ace Attorney game is finally allowed to reference people consuming alcohol.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

I'm really glad an Ace Attorney game is finally allowed to reference people consuming alcohol.

I like how Athena is just completely baffled by all of this nonsense.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Yeah, for all the talk about Maya she's a pretty small part, I kinda dig it as just marketing lies. Like, the game is actually half Apollo stuff, if you count case 4 and case 5 day 1 as the content of one case split into two standalones then Apollo gets two and a half, Phoenix gets two (one of which is the tutorial) and Athena has half, and for all that Maya is only involved in the third case and then is a witness near the end of the final case. So really, all the Maya stuff is a bait to trick people into playing Apollo's big "final" game since he is disliked in some parts of the community. And that's super fine by me.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Yeah, for all the talk about Maya she's a pretty small part, I kinda dig it as just marketing lies. Like, the game is actually half Apollo stuff, if you count case 4 and case 5 day 1 as the content of one case split into two standalones then Apollo gets two and a half, Phoenix gets two (one of which is the tutorial) and Athena has half, and for all that Maya is only involved in the third case and then is a witness near the end of the final case. So really, all the Maya stuff is a bait to trick people into playing Apollo's big "final" game since he is disliked in some parts of the community. And that's super fine by me.

To be fair, without her case 5 couldn't happen and she is a very very big part of that case...just that she's had some work done when she first shows up in it :v:

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

-For all she got talked up in the lead up to this game, Maya has pretty minor role

It's a shame we didn't get any proper 'Investigating with Maya' segments, which is what I think everyone was looking forward to with her return, but at the very least her being there enabled (Case 5 spoilers) all the crazy setup in case 5 to happen, what with her channeling Dhurke the whole time and such. So, at least it wasn't like her being there served no purpose, and allowed for some pretty cool stuff overall.

EDIT: ^Yeah, agreed^.

smenj fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Sep 27, 2016

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I only started the 2nd case a while ago but I HATE this prosecutor. Easily the worst in the series for me so far.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Nahyuta is unsympathetic and sort of boring but knocking him down a peg at the end of each trial is pretty satisfying and therefore I don't dislike him more than Klavier, who never even gave me that.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Sep 27, 2016

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Nate RFB posted:

Nahyuta is unsympathetic and sort of boring but knocking him down a peg at the end of each trial is pretty satisfying and therefore I don't dislike him more than Klavier, who never even gave me that.

what

His dumb pearl barrage looks cringe-worthy bad and is about as unsatisfying as can be, and it gets worse every time it gets repeated with no variation. It's a large part of why he's such a bad prosecutor to play against. Boring.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
he's basically Franziska, who is also terrible. He just says "putrid" instead of "fool" :colbert:

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
The only time I felt happy to be against Nahyuta is during case 4 because someone competent is there to take him down a peg every other time he tries his preachy bullshit.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I was more aggravated by Nahyuta than anything. I like his overall design and how calm he is, but there's something about his background...maybe it was how everything got infodumped in the second day of Case 5, but it was tough to discern at first whether he had gone so deep into enemy territory he betrayed Dhurke or had just flat out given up fighting back against Gu'ran. Maybe I wanted MORE Nahyuta in terms of vulnerability, which we don't really see until late in the game? I'm hoping we get to see more of him because due to all the bullshit holding him back I feel like he'd be far more likable now that he's got a hopeful future and can openly acknowledge his family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I think he'd be more interesting a character post-AA6. DLC please. With extra jalapeno and no pickles, thank you.