Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
The next Grand Theft Auto game is going to be GTA VR, but the R has the stem separated so it looks like an I. Coming 2018.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

The Last Of Us: Remastered is only $10. Played it three times on PS3, but for that price I can't turn it down.

I think this is the first time they are actually getting a sale out of me, too, thanks to the wonders of PS3 game sharing.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
poo poo. Bought TLOU on PSN about two weeks ago. Story of my life.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

ImpAtom posted:

Because it's a boring empty world with nothing to do but drive around a large but mostly non-interactive setting populated by missions which are 90% "drive to this place" and 10% "Really fun heists we didn't do enough of."

I mean if you mean the country side sure, but if you mean the city and then even more so online?

It's one of the most interactive open world settings there is. So thats a weird idea.

Single players biggest issues weren't so much gameplay related but story, yeah even the last part of what you said. .

I mean we can draw a lot of games down to their simplest form, (rpgs, shooters etc) and of course they sound horrible wastes of time.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

the psn store is so great. i never would have had any idea about that sale from the front page or even the weekly deal link.

now to decide if i want to give the game another chance. starting off poorly with the 5 loving pages of mp dlc lol.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Like 99% of that poo poo is cosmetic stuff like hats and animations

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

ya there are a few perks or weapons that are sold as dlc that are sorta annoying that they aren't free but the vast majority of that dlc are like, cosmetic country flags

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

ddogflex posted:

GTA V is a really good single player game. Like, really good. I don't get how people that like games don't like it. Is it cool to not like it because it's popular?
It came out about the time we started to insist comedy was unacceptable, and GTA V is pretty much a giant reference book of unacceptable comedy

(and not funny enough to make up for it)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

CrashCat posted:

It came out about the time we started to insist comedy was unacceptable, and GTA V is pretty much a giant reference book of unacceptable comedy

(and not funny enough to make up for it)

??

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

also there is a free last of us dynamic theme https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/themes/the-last-of-us-outbreak-day-theme/cid=UP9000-CUSA00552_00-OUTBREAKDAYTHEME

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SectumSempra posted:

It's one of the most interactive open world settings there is. So thats a weird idea.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'interactive' but GTAV's world has less to do than GTA:SA. It's big but there's nothing to do. You can drive, you can shoot, you can buy clothes and... Yoga?

In comparison almost any given open world game has more to do. You can argue over which does it well but when even like frigging Watch_Dogs has better mission design and more things to do in the city than your game you've run into trouble.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Sep 27, 2016

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ImpAtom posted:

I'm not sure what you mean by 'interactive' but GTAV's world has less to do than GTA:SA. It's big but there's nothing to do. You can drive, you can shoot, you can buy clothes and... Yoga?

there are lots of activities like golf and movie theaters but outside of them it can be sterile

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

there are lots of activities like golf and movie theaters but outside of them it can be sterile

I'd probably be more forgiving of GTAV if I didn't compare it to Bully, Red Dead Redemption and GTA:SA, all of which I think make a significantly better use of the open world concept than GTAV did despite GTAV being more technically impressive in every way.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

thats showing up as three dollars, altho i'm not logged in. is it free for plus?

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Yeah, GTA:SA stood out as a high water mark for open world games because of the rural area and Mount Chilead which I thought were pretty mindblowing to see the transition from big city to rural area.

GTA:V left me cold mostly because the main characters were so hard to get into. Only the young kid was fun to play for me because the rest were too hard to enjoy. Unfortunately he's just a portion of it. I think that Trevor is a bold character but he's like a test of will to see how much nasty you can play as. I like the more tradition reluctant bad guy you get in other GTA games.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

rabidsquid posted:

thats showing up as three dollars, altho i'm not logged in. is it free for plus?

i dont see a + icon, just a blue "free" banner. try logging in

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Awesome! posted:

i dont see a + icon, just a blue "free" banner. try logging in

yeah, the classic login bonus. weird, it does show up as free when logged in. okay cool, thanks!

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

hey lets check out this new vita game https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/skylight-freerange-2-gachduine/cid=UP2979-PCSE00862_00-SKYF2GACHDUINEPV

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

nova scotia will never be the same

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Ape Agitator posted:

I think that Trevor is a bold character but he's like a test of will to see how much nasty you can play as.

Trevor is the best video game protagonist ever and solves the problem of ~ludonarrative dissonance~ in video games

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Real hurthling! posted:

nova scotia will never be the same

lol didnt notice the setting. this is what canadian art development grants get us.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Awesome! posted:

the psn store is so great. i never would have had any idea about that sale from the front page or even the weekly deal link.

now to decide if i want to give the game another chance. starting off poorly with the 5 loving pages of mp dlc lol.

If you're talking about tlou then there are like 3 skill/weapon packs worth buying, at a few bucks each.

You can skip the scoped weapons bundle and the skills bundle that has 'Jack of all trades'. But the rest of it is great.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Lakbay posted:

Trevor is the best video game protagonist ever and solves the problem of ~ludonarrative dissonance~ in video games

Trevor is insufferable and the others are bland.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Lakbay posted:

I don't know where to begin with this.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Little Pete is the voice of Michaels son and that's great

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

GTA V is one of the best games ever made and I'm really looking forward to Mafia 3 and Watch Dogs 2

****EDGELORD****

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

GTAV was fun while it lasted but the carrot and stick mission structure and the fact that you pretty much end up with nothing after all the bullshit really stood out like a sore thumb.

And maybe it's because I'm older but all their attempts at parody were completely on the nose and trying too hard.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

My three most favourite open world games are Bully, Red Dead Redemption and Lego City Undercover.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Wouldn't it be neat if Pandemic were still around and Mercs 2 didn't suck hot rear end?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Wolfsheim posted:

I've played and enjoyed every GTA (though that enjoyment really, really waned by the end of IV) but I've never once completed any of the 'find 100 items' scavenger hunt deals and can't imagine anyone who has actually had fun doing it.

Basically they should stop making that a thing in open world games, but in the last GTA they had like 3-4 different ones so I doubt it :shrug:
They went out of their way to make the collectibles in GTA V as inconvenient as possible while paying lip service to the idea of convenience. After you sign up for Social Club to get the map, and after you set up a laptop near where you're playing because the map doesn't work on mobile devices, and after you set aside the time to do nothing but drive around and take some nice walks for a while - which I genuinely don't mind, because they built a very nice map, and there are vast parts of it that you inexplicably never get to see just playing the story -, after you do all that, you're gonna arrive at the site of a collectible and realize you needed a helicopter.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

There was that side mission when you had to run laps in some field somewhere for like 20 literal miles. That was good.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
The main story campaign of GTA V is surprisingly great. Which, after the rancid crap that was GTA IV surprised no-one more than me. The side content though... brother, I have a 100% save file on GTA V and I would not recommend that anyone get a 100% save file on this game unless you really hate yourself.

Oh and about my recommendation for The Order 1886 to that dude? I did a full replay yesterday on easy for shits and giggles as it's been almost a year since I platted it. It's a fine game. Won't change your life, but really is a 5.5 hour movie where you get to shoot things. I got to punch people so hard their bowler hats fell off, I saw a vampire's penis, explored an airship where the lifeboats are little hot air balloons, and Tesla gave me a lightning gun that shoots heads off leaving a bloody gushing stump. It's absolutely a fun world to spend 6 hours in, just... pay a price that's appropriate for the amount of fun you get. It's a once and done Victorian steampunk Gears of Yore and for $10 or under you'll have no complaints. gently caress me I'd have been livid if I'd spend $60 on it day one though. But I didn't, so I judge it as the budget fun time price I did pay.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

Wouldn't it be neat if Pandemic were still around and Mercs 2 didn't suck hot rear end?

Man, don't remind me. Mercs 1 was so good, and for the time it was released, it had a great mix of stuff to do, humor, and size. I don't know how they managed to fumble that game so hard. :smith:

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Sakurazuka posted:

My three most favourite open world games are Bully, Red Dead Redemption and Lego City Undercover.

It really has become a stale formula that found its way into series that didn't need it (MGSV). Red Dead Redemption did a good job of having the narrative dovetail with the "ending" of all open world games where you just stop playing it one day.

GTAV was fun to dick around in and some of the heist stuff was great, but I'll never touch it again since PS3 save files didn't carry over to the PS4 version. I got the latter in a bundle, traded in the former, and have zero desire to go through the story again just to be able to dick around with lots of money, weapons, vehicles, etc.

MeatwadIsGod fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Sep 27, 2016

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

MGSV is the only good "open world" game because they actually made a game that played well instead of trying to hide bad design behind a lot of art assets

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

In Training posted:

MGSV is the only good "open world" game because they actually made a game that played well instead of trying to hide bad design behind a lot of art assets
They saved the bad design for the second half of the game when they just recycle everything

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Man, don't remind me. Mercs 1 was so good, and for the time it was released, it had a great mix of stuff to do, humor, and size. I don't know how they managed to fumble that game so hard. :smith:
Was it really that bad? It's been a while, but I only remember being bothered by the technical stuff, like the constant crashing (every single co-op session I played ended in the game locking up). Even then, most of the bugs were hilarious, and capturing the VIPs was fun as hell.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Offer me The Order 1886 or GTA5 and I will leap for The Order.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

CrashCat posted:

They saved the bad design for the second half of the game when they just recycle everything

Those were my favorite parts of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
The best open world game is The Saboteur, where you could essentially create your own missions on the fly by just chaining together mayhem while dealing with a bunch of adjacent objectives. The bad guys were the Nazis, so instead of fighting cops you were always getting into huge brawls with literally evil bastards so even the random destruction played into the full narrative. And your character was a joyfully OTT Irishman who loved what he was doing and had a dedicated button to light up a cigarette.

• Locked thread