Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
The two things I've discovered that will derail any thread on BSS are arguing about regional food differences and (generally) discussing wrestling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I like that Stan Lee Batman who became a millionaire because he learned wrestling in prison. And became Batman the wrestler because his mom died of sadness while he was in prison for a crime he didn't commit.

Ireallylikeeggs
Jul 29, 2003

The casting for the marvel movies has been really, really good. I think that's been an integral reason why the MCU is such a runaway success. Cumberbatch may be a hot name right now, but Marvel doesn't always bank on name recognition, and I can't imagine they didn't have plenty of alternatives. He's gonna do just fine.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

achillesforever6 posted:

Anyway Sam Neill is in Thor Ragnarok and this movie is basically being made for me

I just saw Hunt for the Wilderpeople which stars Sam Neill and is directed by Taika Waititi. It is a very good journey movie and bodes well for Thor: Ragnarok if that is also a journey movie.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Ireallylikeeggs posted:

The casting for the marvel movies has been really, really good. I think that's been an integral reason why the MCU is such a runaway success. Cumberbatch may be a hot name right now, but Marvel doesn't always bank on name recognition, and I can't imagine they didn't have plenty of alternatives. He's gonna do just fine.

So you're saying that this... won't be the one that brings down the MCU?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Plastik posted:

So you're saying that this... won't be the one that brings down the MCU?

It's just that nobody will accept a Marvel movie with a lead actor whose surname has more than two syllables.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's just that nobody will accept a Marvel movie with a lead actor whose surname has more than two syllables.

*claps hands* Dow-ney Ju-nior, that's four syllables!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's the fact he isn't called Chris that worries me.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Well 'Benedict' is basically the 'Chris' of London.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
ComicBook.com and Empire Magazine had an interview with Scott Derrickson and Benedict Cumberbatch with a lot of new info about Dr. Strange:

What is your inspiration for Dr. Strange? [to Director Scott Derrickson]

quote:

The Watchmen film really inspired me as being a piece ahead of its time.

What will Marvel's Doctor Strange have in common with Alan Moore's Watchmen?

If director Scott Derrickson can help it, Bob Dylan.

Derrickson isn't just a huge Dylan fan: the director wrote the foreword for the book Restless Pilgrim: The Spiritual Journey of Bob Dylan.

"Dylan has made it absolutely clear that he is a serious student of country, folk, blues, rock, gospel and every other kind of American music. That's just a fact," Uexpress once quoted the filmmaker as saying. "It's clear that he is fluent in the language and symbolism of the Bible, both Old and New Testaments....There has always been a sense of transcendence in his songs."

He's such a fan -- you can just Google "Scott Derrickson" and "Bob Dylan" together to see his Twitter history celebrating the singer and his catalog -- that it came up during a set visit attended by ComicBook.com during production of Doctor Strange.

"Oh, God. I hope so," Derrickson said when asked whether fans might hear some of Dylan's work in Doctor Strange. "That's my answer to everything. I hope there are Bob Dylan songs in every movie. We're looking at specific songs and, some of them, classic songs. We'll see. We'll see which ones we get, which ones we can afford and which ones we can get the rights to."

In Watchmen comics, some of the chapters were named after Bob Dylan lyrics, and Dylan appears on the soundtrack to Zack Snyder's 2009 film adaptation of the miniseries.

"My love for the comics, I think is probably ... I'll start by saying this. I think that, because I love the comics so much, and I grew up reading Marvel comics, and Doctor Strange is my favorite comic book character, probably," Derrickson told ComicBook.com and other press during a Doctor Strange set visit. "I think, honestly, the only comic book I would feel personally suited to work on. For me, it was, my long standing love for Doctor Strange comes from, first of all, the fantastical visual imagery of all the comics, particularly the early Ditko stuff, Into Shamballa, The Oath. A lot of the images that I have picked are from those three sources."

The Oath is the 2006-2007 5-part miniseries by Brian K. Vaughan and Marcos Martin (with inks by Alvaro Lopez). It is considered an essential read for Doctor Strange fans and has earned high-praise for its memorable visuals and entertaining character moments. In it, Doctor Strange in a race against time to find a stolen magical elixar that he believes will cure the cancer eating away at Wong, his loyal manservant. It also offers a fun spin on the Night Nurse character, who is depicted as being an underground source of healthcare for Marvel’s superhero population.

Then, individual issues," Derrickson continued. "Thematically, the loneliness of that character, I always really liked, the idea of a character who had gone through so much trauma and was placed into a position between our world and other worlds, other dimensions. Literally, that's a lonely position. I like that. I think that, as I've gotten older, my continuing love for Doctor Strange has been that he is a character who transforms through suffering, and, for me, that's kind of the most powerful thing. He goes through this gauntlet of trauma and suffering, going all the way back to his childhood, in the comics, but, then, he appropriates that suffering in a certain way that limits him. Then, he goes through the loss of everything, in a really painful, unbearable way, and, eventually finds self-transcendence in something mystical. That's Doctor Strange to me. I love that, and I think that, again, getting to why I think I got the job, I think it's my genuine love for that that somehow connected to what ... I didn't know it at the time, but I think it really connected to what Marvel wanted the movie to be. When I came in, I talked about Doctor Strange in those terms, and, for me, it's like that's the only way I could make the movie, that and I had set piece ideas, already, about how to make the movie as visually weird in this day and age as the Ditko comics were at their time."

What artifacts will appear in the film? Will we see many of the iconic chants and objects of power from the comic?

quote:

There's the Eye of Agamotto, a powerful amulet created by the Vishanti and worn by Earth's Sorcerer Supreme. It can do many many things, such as summoning images of the past and emitting a powerful mystical light that reveals disguises/illusions to the wearer. We've also seen the Book of the Vishanti, a powerful white/defense magic book that contains every known counterspell. Lastly, the Cloak of Levitation, a cloak that allows the wearer to levitate.

"I think the Harry Potter movies are proof that audiences love that stuff. They love the idea of magical objects, and they like learning the rules of those objects and what they do. I think everything that we do, I think all the names of everything and I think all the things that we use in the movie, are drawn from the comics. I can't think of one, at least offhand, that's not drawn from the comics. Yeah."

Not every artifact will come straight out of the source material, though. One new addition is Sling Rings, little brass knuckles that let characters teleport. Derrickson explained: "The gateways, the forming of the gateways that are used for that, that's straight out of the comics. I just needed an object for them to carry it on."

Kevin Feige has said that Dr. Strange and Thor: Ragnarok are going to be by far the darkest films in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. How will humor be used in Dr. Strange?

quote:

Injecting levity into tenuous scenes has been a large part of Marvel's success and will never go away. Of course, some of films have more humor than others.

As for Doctor Strange, director Scott Derrickson thinks the film has plenty of humorous moment, though not as jokey as Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) was. He believes the film's humor is more comparable to the judicious approach Joe and Anthony Russo took with humor in 2014's Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

"There's comedy in it, but it's not Guardians," Derrickson told ComicBook.com and other press during a visit to the Doctor Strange set. "It's not that tone, by any means. It's closer to Winter Soldier, which has comedy in it and has some really funny moments in it. I just named my two favorite Marvel movies, by the way, and part of my love for Winter Soldier is the high impact, grounded nature of the action in that movie and the subversive, grounded ideas of that movie within what is just one of the great kick-rear end action movies. That's what I love about Winter Soldier, in a nutshell. We have a lot of humor spread throughout, but it is a very grounded, realistic movie about a guy who suffers a lot and transforms, so it's also very dramatic. Yeah."

How will Magical Combat play out in the film?

quote:

According to Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige during our Doctor Strange set visit, figuring out how to make magic powers clash onscreen was tough: "I would say the use of magic for action sequences was something that it took a long time to figure out what road to take... Scott [Derrickson] was very smart in not wanting it to simply be somebody shoots a bolt of lightning and somebody blocks a bolt of lightning and somebody throws another bolt of lightning and someone blocks another bolt of lightning... we wanted to do something different."

Director Scott Derrickson told us on set that, "Preserving the idea of magic was really important to me, that we didn't try to explain it away or root it all in something scientific. That, by definition, is not magic to me....The comics had a few ideas in them that were, to this day, still very original. Those ideas we're using. The rest of it was very traditional, in the use of spells and even some of the imagery."

"For me, the starting point was what kind of things have we not seen in cinema ... I started from that place and looked for a way to tie that in to magic," Derrickson added. "Some of those ideas didn't tie in well, and some of those ideas tied in surprisingly well. The ones that tied in really well, those became the major set pieces for the movie."

We also wanted to tap into this notion of the multiverse, of dimensions right next to our own. If you're able to tap into those dimensions, into those other powers, what could you do?" Kevin Feige explained. "What could you do if you pull aspects of those other dimensions into our realm? All in the interest of creating a visual tapestry that is totally different in terms of an action scene than we've seen in any other movies... Really, this is about and the four main action scenes have been structured around sort of which power from which dimension are they going to use to screw with our world now? In doing so, give a canvas for an action scene totally different than anything we've done before."

What is Wong's relationship with Strange and how does it differ from the comics?

quote:

Instead of being a servant, the movie will highlight how Wong becomes an ally to Doctor Strange:

"It's how they've become allies together. I think that's what we're converting to. Then we'll just see how it evolves and how they explore it in the next one." Wong will have a role in training Stephen Strange and showing him the way, while at the same time helping him discover an entirely new mystical realm rather than just serving him tea. Wong comes from a long line of warrior monks who have pledged themselves to the Ancient One.

How many different costumes and looks will Strange go through in the film?

quote:

As you would expect, Stephen Strange goes through an assortment of costumes along his journey from being a rich, arrogant neurosurgeon to becoming the Sorcerer Supreme.

But before he becomes a powerful sorcerer, he must become a student of Tilda Swinton's Ancient One. And for that, Benedict Cumberbatch has to wear a very plain novice outfit.

"This is him. This is the first day at school kind of outfit," Cumberbatch told ComicBook.com during a set vist. "It seems to get cooler and it gets warmer, thank God, but it seems to get heavier and heavier."

"The Cloak of Levitation, which is a dear friend sometimes in certain takes becomes the Cloak of Imitations," he quipped. "I either trip on it, or it's like, 'Oh, God, is my entire body moving like this?' What actor playing a superhero doesn't complain about the costume? It's a blast. It's a real blast. And Alex [Byrne], our costume designer, she's a f--king genius."

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Cumberbatch will be good in his role. Nerds seem to despise him because of his ridiculous internet following.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I don't despise him, I just think he's a less interesting choice than some of the other actors who were rumored to be in serious talks for the role.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I saw him in Sherlock and the worst Star Trek movie ever, so I'm a little underwhelmed by his range.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I think his accent is going to be a little weird but hopefully I get used to it pretty early on.

Not like Snowden, where we were laughing at the early trailers of JGL's accent. Man, they didn't even have him utter one single word in the TV trailers I kept seeing just before it came out.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Doctor...
Mister Doctor?
Strange.
Who am I judge?

That got a good laugh out of me in the Dr Strange tv spot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xoxeCWpZyU

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Tilda Swinton should have been Doctor Strange.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

I saw him in Sherlock and the worst Star Trek movie ever, so I'm a little underwhelmed by his range.

Into Darkness is like top 4.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Unmature posted:

Tilda Swinton should have been Doctor Strange.

Very strongly agree.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
New Dr. Strange TV spot.

Cumberbatch's American accent sounds like Kiefer Sutherland. Also, Mads is lookin' and soundin' good.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Mmmm dem quips

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Top 4 worst Star Trek movies? Yeah, that's fair.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I can't wait for this movie about an aristocratic, classy dick who thinks the world is his oyster playing Doctor Strange.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hayley Atwell has said in a recent interview that she wants to do a Peggy Carter movie.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

New Dr. Strange TV spot.

Cumberbatch's American accent sounds like Kiefer Sutherland.
Sounds more like Hugh Laurie's American accent to me

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

I don't recall his part in Star Trek V.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

I don't recall his part in Star Trek V.

Come on now we must admit that Nemesis has fewer redeeming features than V.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I haven't actually seen it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Endless Mike posted:

I haven't actually seen it.

Nemesis doesn't have a single redeeming feature. V at least has the camping scene and the not-10-forward scene where they confront their inner demons.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Star Trek V: What does God need with a starship?

Star Trek Nemesis: KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN! *EXPLOSION* TRIBBLES! GET IT IS LIKE THE SECOND MOVIE BUT REVERSED. MAGIC BLOOD! CHECK OUT THIS LADY'S TITS! LOOK A KLINGON JUST LIKE IN STAR TRACK

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

greatn posted:

Star Trek V: What does God need with a starship?

Star Trek Nemesis: KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN! *EXPLOSION* TRIBBLES! GET IT IS LIKE THE SECOND MOVIE BUT REVERSED. MAGIC BLOOD! CHECK OUT THIS LADY'S TITS! LOOK A KLINGON JUST LIKE IN STAR TRACK

No, no, Nemesis is the one where it's just like Wrath of Khan but with Picard's lovely-rear end clone instead.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Oh of course. Honestly only piece of on screen star trek media I never saw.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

No, no, Nemesis is the one where it's just like Wrath of Khan but with Picard's lovely-rear end clone instead.

It is kind of funny to watch now though as scrawny Picard clone was played by Tom Hardy.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

muscles like this? posted:

It is kind of funny to watch now though as scrawny Picard clone was played by Tom Hardy.

I want to see a movie with Tom Hardy vs. James McAvoy with Patrick Stewart saying the last one standing gets his blessing.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Codependent Poster posted:

I want to see a movie with Tom Hardy vs. James McAvoy with Patrick Stewart saying the last one standing gets his blessing.

That would be a three minute movie with two of it being Tom Hardy washing blood out of his hands.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Aphrodite posted:

2, 6, the reboot, 4, First Contact, Galaxy Quest, and Master and Commander are all better than it. At least.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The only movie Into Darkness isn't worse than is Insurrection.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

ImpAtom posted:

Come on now we must admit that Nemesis has fewer redeeming features than V.
Yeah that movie nearly ruined Tom Hardy's career

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

2, 6, the reboot, 4, First Contact, Galaxy Quest, and Master and Commander are all better than it. At least.

Into Darkness is bad, but a modern bad movie is infinitely more watchable than classic Star Trek.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Aphrodite posted:

Into Darkness is bad, but a modern bad movie is infinitely more watchable than classic Star Trek.

I have seen some abhorrent opinions in this thread before, but this one certainly takes the cake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

Aphrodite posted:

I haven't seen Into Darkness, but this is yet another horrible opinion from Aphrodite. I can't say I'm surprised

Having seen all of the classic Star Trek movies and the reboot, I can't judge on Into Darkness's quality but some of the classic films are great - namely Star Trek 2-4 and 6.

• Locked thread