Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

We wouldn't have to do that if you jerks would just put trash cans in convenient locations. Half the time I end up having to use the one in the bathroom.

Selachian posted:

Lio is a weird Addams Family-style kid. So of course his wash would use the "paranormal cycle."

I'm more distracted by the use of "their," myself. (Watch this spawn a multi-page argument about pronouns!)

No kidding. Using an obscure reference in the first place is pretty dumb, but it's just plain awkward when you don't even know the gender of the character you're trying to reference. In English anyway. The comics I post don't need no stinking gendered pronouns.

It's All Right Chief Dharma

I'm aware that "product idea" sounds really awkward but it's a cognate and I can't remember what we normally call these things in proper English.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

How about 'junk'?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Lifehacks.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

"Let's laugh at Gunther doing Luann's homework for free."
Nono, this strip is "let's be mad at Quill for even thinking of bringing up compensation, and implying that Precious Luann Lilywhite might have a manipulative streak, cause that's Tiffany."

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Knickknacks?

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
"Product idea" sounds like a prototype to me.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Invention might work best in context

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

But as was mentioned, stuff like solar-powered calculators have been around for awhile, and stickers designed to look like eyes aren't exactly innovative so much as...I don't know, novel? Novelty might work, except that Mister Kang and Hyeh-ran obviously have a high opinion of them, and novelty has negative connotations.

In general most of the accurate words I can think of have negative connotations. Which is weird, because this isn't some unique Korean thing, Americans use these products too. Not everyone hates them or they wouldn't keep getting made.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Pluggers

Inspector Danger

Deep Dark Fears

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

This is a really stupid Gilchrist comic, but I repeat myself.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Wanamingo posted:

Inspector Danger

I thought that was a dividing line in the middle of the road. But even if it was a unicycle trail, shouldn't there be two lines? Did he just double back over the first one?

quote:

Deep Dark Fears

In other mysteries, how does the person who makes this keep coming up with new terrifying things every day?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I know it's inspector danger, but there are obvious ways he could have made that strip of blue look like a wheel track in the dirt. Like put a pattern on the wheel of the unicycle and also put it on the strip of dirt. And making the strip of dirt a similar shade to the dirt around it but maybe darker or lighter?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Some Guy TT posted:

I thought that was a dividing line in the middle of the road. But even if it was a unicycle trail, shouldn't there be two lines? Did he just double back over the first one?
Drive by.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Some Guy TT posted:

In other mysteries, how does the person who makes this keep coming up with new terrifying things every day?

I thought readers submitted their own fears and the cartoonist just illustrated them.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Wanamingo posted:

Inspector Danger

IT HAPPENED

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (September 4, 1951)

Nancy (October 19, 1943)

Wash Tubbs (July 2, 1929)

Gasoline Alley (July 17, 1923)

Barney Google (July 18, 1922)

Alley Oop (October 17, 1933)

Lil' Abner (March 16, 1937)

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet

Julet Esqu posted:

^^^It's not like she was incredibly svelte before she got impregnated.

If it's a girl: Katniss Uhura Nerdbody
If it's a boy: I don't know, but it'll be a shame if his middle name isn't Bones.

Luann

lol @ the colorist not noticing that Quill is supposed to have teeth in the last panel. Oh, and I guess he's back in town and no longer touring with that theater troupe or whatever.

Really, though, he makes a good point. Bridesmaid dresses cost a lot. So does hiring somebody to do your homework for you. Luann should be paying Gunther.

quote:

I wonder if this is going to lead into Gunther quitting the dress project. We already saw that he thinks his classmates will think he is “weird” for making a dress. Now Quill has put the idea in Gunther’s head that Luann manipulated him into making the bridesmaid dress. And Gunther’s last dialogue balloon today sure looks sour.

quote:

The Airman said, 1 day ago
While Gunther sews, Greg continues to weave his wedding fabric that will eventually involve everyone. Rosa? Greg’s most attractive character? Who knows, but at this stage I’d rather see Tiff and the G-man really become an item.

quote:

Tyge said, 1 day ago
Quill character ain’t over yet in this strip. Hopefully Greg is only keeping him around if he can’t find someone better. And I hope he does.
Speaking of couples Gunther and Tiffany are perfect for each other. They could be an unending source of comic material if they ever hooked up and married. Enough even for their own strip.

quote:

Mordock999 GoComics PRO Member said, 1 day ago
Wait, let Me get a Big Cup of COFFEE before I Write This.
Gunther, it PAINS Me to Say This, but Pretty Boy is (CRINGE) ‘Right,’ for Once in His Annoying Life. Once again, Lu has Conned You into doing HER Bidding for What? The Ten Thousandeth Time? And what will YOU get Out of It? LAUGHED At in Engineering Class and Later, Being FORCED to Watch Luann and ‘Smart-Mouth’ here get Back together? BAH!!
Gunther, This ‘Passive, Goody-Two Shoes, Pollyanna’ Act of Yours has gone on LONG Enough!
Design Luann’s dress, but make SURE it ‘Malfunctions’ When She struts Down the aisle. Call INS and have Pretty Boy DEPORTED, as I’ve been Telling You for Years.
Then go help Tiffany with Her ‘Homework.’
I Mean, REALLY, ‘Help’ Her…..,

quote:

IamJayBluE said, 1 day ago
“An Order Of Ribs”
“Along For Deride”
“Mocks And Bonds”
“Quill Knows Josh”
“A Barby Cue”
“Please Exccuse My Dear Taunt, Sally!”
“Billy Goads Gruffly”
“A Pot Of Tease On”
“To Yank A Yank’s Chain”
“And I’ll Make Ridi-cule Pay For That One!”
“Tackling Some Bait”
“A Pretty Vanilla Nudge” (♪)
“You Keep ‘Em Hangin’ On” (♫)
or
“All That Razz”

quote:

Mordock999 GoComics PRO Member said, 1 day ago
@SukieCrandall – Gee, I dunno about the Mrs. Berger being “not pushy” part. Remember when She literally SHOVED Gunther out the door to Follow Rosa on that ill advised trip to Peru?? And She’s forever ‘Pushing’ Milk and Cookies on Visitors.
As for Her 1st name, I’d Vote, “Ethel.”

quote:

Interesting interplay between Mrs. Berger, Quill, and Gunther today. Here are my thoughts, and my hopes, and my concerns:

1. I found Quill to be enjoyable and interesting as a character today.

2. I HOPE that Quill DOES NOT re-hook-up with Luann in any sort of “relationship” way. I think it is much more interesting for Luann’s character to be free of Quill…. and with today’s effort, I also feel that it could be much more possible for Quill to be an interesting character in the comic…. because even in this one “non-Luann” instance, he is already to me, more likable and interesting than during his “bland” period as Luann’s romantic interest.

3. I like how Mrs. Berger is teasing Quill with her statement in much the same fashion as Quill is teasing Gunther.

4. It is interesting, however to note how Gunther is more aggravated by the teasing than is Quill about the teasing he is receiving.

5. I think it is UNLIKELY but I do think there is a small chance that Gunther may get into another of his “angry outburst” moments if he continues to get teased about this issue, to which he is apparently very sensitive to.

6. The “laughing” expression by Quill, to me is noteworthy because I think this is the most facially expressive happy drawing Greg has done of Quill…. at least as far as I can recall. Most of his other facial expressions were rather bland and he seemed somewhat too reserved in his emotions. Today, in the second panel, the Quills eyes are IMO especially expressive.

Dear artists: if you want to show emotion using a characters eyes, make sure the eyes are ^.

fort knox

Flying Mccoys

Thing good?

Dustin

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet

Do you remember last week (or so) when Trump was saying that things are worse for African-Americans in 2016 than at any time in their history?

You probably laughed because it was such a ridiculous thing to say. And perhaps you wondered what kind of person says something that is so clearly false. The answer is a Master Persuader. That’s who.

The recent headlines about police shootings, and Colin Kaepernick’s protests in particular, had focused the nation’s attention on the PROBLEMS that still need to be solved for African-Americans to fully enjoy the American experience. When you focus on something, it seems more important than it would otherwise seem. That’s how brains are wired. And the nation was focusing on something that had the potential to erupt into a race war.

So Trump flipped the frame. He said life in the big cities is worse-than-ever for African-Americans, thereby forcing his opponents and the fact-checkers to explain in detail how much better things have gotten since slavery. And the civil rights movement. And on and on. That changes your perspective. Now you see 2016 as the best year – probably ever – for African-Americans, albeit with plenty of work left to do. And that’s the sort of reframing that diffuses racial tension. I think it helped.

But it gets better.

Trump’s absurd claim that things are worse-than-ever isn’t true in a factual sense. But it is emotionally compatible with the feelings of African-Americans who feel victimized by police and the system in general. This is one of those cases where being totally wrong is the most sensible approach. Emotions matter in the real world because they drive behavior. Facts, not so much.

Trump doesn’t ignore facts because he is dumb. He does it because facts don’t matter. Every trained persuader knows that.

In the 2D world, where people think that facts and reason matter, Trump’s claim that life is worse than ever for African-Americans is an absurd lie. But in the third-dimension of persuasion – where Trump operates – it was brilliant.

In case you are wondering, this is a known persuasion technique. You agree with someone harder than they agree with themselves, and it forces them to argue against their own point. Trump did that in part to dilute racial tensions (that he partly caused) and also to put himself in emotional harmony with the African-American community. Persuasion-wise, and strategy-wise, what Trump did was a base-clearing home run…that you thought was a dumb mistake.

As I said last year, Trump is changing more than politics. He is changing how you understand reality itself.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
That may well be one of the stupidest things I have ever read.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Adams has also formally endorsed Trump (surprise surprise).

quote:

Likewise, Bill Clinton seems to be in bad shape too, and Hillary wouldn’t be much use to the country if she is taking care of a dying husband on the side.

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
The Fruit That Hangs Lowest Tastes Sweetest

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Some Guy TT posted:

But as was mentioned, stuff like solar-powered calculators have been around for awhile, and stickers designed to look like eyes aren't exactly innovative so much as...I don't know, novel? Novelty might work, except that Mister Kang and Hyeh-ran obviously have a high opinion of them, and novelty has negative connotations.

In general most of the accurate words I can think of have negative connotations. Which is weird, because this isn't some unique Korean thing, Americans use these products too. Not everyone hates them or they wouldn't keep getting made.
Gadgets?

F Minus

99% of the time, "soaking the dish" really means "I don't actually want to clean this or put it in the dishwasher right now because I'm a lazy bastard."

I feel better having gotten that off my chest.

Mary Worth

All right already. Leave the loving office and do something else.

Rex Morgan MD

Secret Agent X-9

You'll hold some dude at gunpoint and demand he give you what you want, but the landlady wanders in and all the sudden it's time to act nonchalant.

Apartment 3-G

"You're not good enough for my Norman...I mean Wesley!"

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Bloom County

Skippy (July 30, 1929)

Peanuts (September 30, 1969)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (November 20-21, 1929)

Thimble Theater (April 16, 1930)

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Please let this be the last we see of Castor

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

The fact that the "prize" for designing Toni's wedding dress is, well, nothing, makes this particular strip ironically funny as hell. "Let's laugh at Gunther doing Luann's homework for free. Oh, but, let's have fans design Toni's dress for us (since we can't fashion design our way out of a paper bag) and not even offer a book or something for their effort!"

Why offer a book when you can release the entire Toni/Brad romance online in weekly installments? That's value added content!

Modesty Blaise

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Gorilla Salad posted:

That may well be one of the stupidest things I have ever read.

Come to CSPAM, we have such wonders to show you. :cenobite:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

You're loving mangling this joke, argh. I can't find the Jack Benny Show bit I once read about, but it went like this:

"I once pitched a no-hit game!"
"What was the score?"
"Twenty-six to zero. We lost."
"How is that possible?"
"I had no hits, but ho boy did I walk them!"

Still not the greatest joke, you have to tell it with an exaggerated Catskills accent, but you get the idea.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine Meets Accurate but Not Exactly Difficult Predictions

The Phantom

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set has more at INFOWARS.COM.

Working Daze draws out the tension.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix gets into the mind of the artist.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze draws out the tension.

Where in god's name is the punchline.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

WickedHate posted:

Where in god's name is the punchline.

The punchline for every Working Daze is the same: "Hah, I can't believe you read this you loving rube." I am not excluding myself from those rubes, mind you.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Gil

Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

You've seen the way that people drive in this strip, Abbot. Better spring for the insurance.

9 Chickweed Lane

Well, enough about Edda's beard. What's the purpose of the cat's whiskers?

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Wanamingo posted:

Arlo and Janis

Okay, I know the rule of thumb is "If you don't get an Arlo and Janis, it's about sex", but this one is so blatantly about boning that I feel like I'm somehow missing something. This thread is slowly making me lose my mind.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
The nurse in that Working Daze looks like Marcie from Jump Start. It probably isn't but I know he likes to include other chars just because so vOv

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Uh.

Why's the car door there.

:stare:

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Pogo (September 30, 1958)

Peanuts: Year Five (June 16-19, 1955)

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

Uh.

Oh, that is a car door. I thought it was supposed to be a really ugly purse, the one she left "back at the house".

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Good Listener posted:

The nurse in that Working Daze looks like Marcie from Jump Start. It probably isn't but I know he likes to include other chars just because so vOv

I dunno, she is drawn in a sorta different style, I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if she is. Well, it seems like an odd reference, so I'd be surprised by that part. I was going to ask before I saw your post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

Uh.

Things are not looking up for those kids. :ohdear:

Luann

I was going to say, "No need to be an rear end in a top hat, Luann," but then I remembered she doesn't know any other way to be.

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

• Locked thread